• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

I enjoy some cheesy sci fi/ fantasy, but hemlock grove really isn't that good. S1 had a few a few things that kept my interest so I finished it. Not good, not terrible...but a level of cheese I can deal with. S2 is just..... *pukes ......I have no words really to describe some of it. I haven't gone back to watch S3, and not really planning to anytime soon. But just fair warning about Hemlock.......but you could like it I guess lol.

What kind of genres are you into? For recommendations

I like all kinds of stuff really, I saw they had a netflix movie about child soldiers called Beasts of No Nation which sounded awesome and heavy.

I like documentaries too, but only if they are really interesting. I saw some really heartbreaking ones on a couple places about soldiers in Afghanistan/Iraq.

Clear out your schedule:

Narcos
House of Cards
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Master of None
Sense8
Scrotal Recall

The first two I have watched, the third I started watching and I love it because it is a shot of happiness in the arm and that is what I need.

Master of None, and Scrotal recall I'll look into, Sense 8 is on the list.

Gave up on Hemlock Grove, it just doesn't grab me. It started out and sounded interesting but eh. Wasted concept.

pargonta

for sci fi folks, i recommend the short opening credit sequence of Synchronicity and the latter half of Listening, but both were meh overall.

Listening is the better of the 2 imo.

berzeli

Banned
‘Alias Grace’: Netflix & CBC Pick Up Sarah Polley Miniseries Based On Margaret Atwood Novel
Netflix and Canadian broadcaster CBC have teamed up to greenlight Alias Grace, a six-hour miniseries from Sarah Polley (Away from Her) and Noreen Halpern’s Halfire Entertainment. The mini is inspired by the historical true story of convicted murderer Grace Marks and based on Margaret Atwood’s novel. Polley, who originally adapted the book as a feature four years ago, is writing and producing, and Mary Harron (American Psycho) directs. Production is scheduled to begin in Ontario, Canada in August. Alias Grace will be broadcast in Canada on CBC and will stream globally on Netflix.

The story of Alias Grace follows Grace Marks, a poor, young Irish immigrant and domestic servant in Upper Canada who, along with stable hand James McDermott, was convicted of the brutal murders of their employer, Thomas Kinnear, and his housekeeper, Nancy Montgomery, in 1843.
Mary Harron hasn't done much outside of American Psycho that I admire, but Sarah Polley is an excellent writer. So this bodes well.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Boom Bust Boom (Documentary)
Bunk'd Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Cedar Cove Season 3 (TV, Drama)
Grey's Anatomy Season 12 (TV, Drama)
James White (Indie, Drama)
Life Story (TV, Documentary, Nature)
Salam Neighbor (Documentary, Social)
Theeb (Drama, Foreign)

Canada:

Aquarius Season 2 (TV, Drama)
Norma: My Perfect Storm (Documentary, Food)
The Bridge Season 1-3 (TV, Drama, Crime)
The Last Witch Hunter (Action, Fantasy)

UK:

Good Witch Season 2 (TV, Drama, Fantasy)
Guardians of the Galaxy (Action)
Northern Soul (Drama)
Total Recall ('12, Action, SciFi)

Australia:

12 Dates of Christmas (Romantic, Comedy)
A Little Princess (Family)
Black Books Season 1-3 (TV, Comedy)
Corpse Bride (Family)
Interview with the Vampire (Vampire)
She's Funny That Way (Romantic, Comedy)
Street Kings (Action, Thriller)
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Action, Comedy)

Belgium:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (SciFi)
How I Met Your Mother Season 9 (TV, Comedy)
Taxi Driver (Thriller)
The Dark House (Drama)
Top Spin (Documentary, Sports)

Mexico:

Bayonetta (Anime)
Big Nothing (Action, Comedy)
Devil May Cry Season 1 (TV, Anime)
High School of the Dead (Anime)
Rebellion Season 1 (TV, Drama)
Seventh Moon (Horror, Supernatural)
Under the Skin (Indie, Thriller)

Sweden:

Hannibal Season 3 (TV, Horror, Drama)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
lol, that season ha been available for ages, whatsnewonnetflix has been unreliable for Sweden for a couple of weeks now.

Yeah, it has become unreliable across all regions for awhile now. Reason I have stopped updating other regions.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Available July 1st

41 on 41 (2014)
A Long Way From Home (2013)
Back to the Future (1985)
Back to the Future Part II (1989)
Back to the Future Part III (1990)
Bad Boys II (2003)
Batman: The Movie (1966)
Beavis and Butt-head Do America (1996)
Between: Season 2 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
Beverly Hills Cop II (1987)
Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
Blade 2 (2002)
By the People: The Election of Barack Obama (2009)
Catwoman (2004)
Cheaper by the Dozen (1950)
Cinderella Man (2005)
Conflict (2015)
Death Race 2 (2010)
Death Race 3: Inferno (2013)
Deep: Season 1 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Dreamcatcher (2003)
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011)
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)
Gladiator (2000)
Hello, Dolly! (1969)
Hey Arnold! The Movie (2002)
Honey (2003)
Insomnia (2002)
The Italian Job (2003)
Jackass: Number Two (2006)
Jim Jefferies: Freedumb – NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Lalaloopsy Ponies: The Big Show (2014)
Lethal Weapon (1987)
Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
Lethal Weapon 3 (1992)
Lethal Weapon 4 (1998)
The Longest Yard (2005)
The Lovely Bones (2009)
Making the American Man (2016) – NETFLIX EXCLUSIVE
Marcella: Season 1 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Marco Polo: Season 2 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Mean Girls (2004)
Nevada Smith (1966)
Nick of Time (1995)
The Painted Veil (2006)
Pandemic (2015)
Phenomenon (1996)
Raiders Of The Lost Art: Season 2
Rumor Has It (2005)
Scooby-Doo (2002)
The Shannara Chronicles: Season 1
The Sting (1973)
Stomp the Yard: Homecoming (2010)
Talhotblond (2009)
Terminus (2016)
Turner and Hooch (1989)
Twisted (2004)
Watershed: Exploring A New Water Ethic For The New West (2012)
Well Wishes (2015)
Working Girl (1988)
Yours, Mine and Ours (2005)

Available July 4th

Kuromukuro: Season 1 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL

Available July 6th

The Big Short (2015)

Available July 7th

A War (2015)
The Armor of Light (2015)
Brahman Naman (2016) – NETFLIX ORIGINAL
NSU German History X: Season 1 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL

Available July 8th

The Invitation (2015) – NETFLIX EXCLUSIVE
Word Party: Season 1

Available July 9th

Mustang (2015)
Mystery Files: Season 1

Available July 10th

The Last Kingdom: Season 1

Available July 12th

Rolling Papers (2015)

Available July 14th

Gridlocked (2015) – NETFLIX EXCLUSIVE
Magi: The Adventures of Sinbad: Season 1 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Todd Margaret: Season 3

Available July 15th

The Adventures of Puss in Boots: Season 3 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Ghostheads (2016)
Holidays (2016) – NETFLIX EXCLUSIVE
Rebirth (2016) – NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Stranger Things: Season 1 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Tony Robbins: I Am Not Your Guru (2016) – NETFLIX ORIGINAL

Available July 16th

Fighting (2009)

Available July 19th

Liv and Maddie: Season 3

Available July 21st

Internet Famous (2016) – NETFLIX EXCLUSIVE

Available July 22nd

BoJack Horseman: Season 3 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Degrassi: Next Class: Season 2 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL

Available July 24th

Popples: Season 3 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL

Available July 27th

The Wave (2015)

Available July 29th

Home: Adventures With Tip & Oh: Season 1 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Last Chance U (2016) – NETFLIX ORIGINAL
LEGO Bionicle: The Journey to One: Season 2 – NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Tallulah (2016) – NETFLIX ORIGINAL

Available July 30th

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: Season 6: Part 1

Available July 31st

Hit Record on TV with Joseph Gordon-Levitt: Season 2

Check back soon for a full list of the shows being removed from Netflix.

Leaving Netflix in July 2016

July 1

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
A League of Their Own (1992)
Allegiance (2012)
Along Came Polly (2004)
Best in Show (2000)
The Beverly Hillbillies (1993)
Bulworth (1998)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
Caillou, season 5
The Central Park Five (2012)
Cheech & Chong's Up in Smoke (1978)
The Conspiracy (2012)
Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, seasons 1-2
Dinosaur Train, season 2
Drive Me Crazy (1999)
Flashpoint: seasons 1-5
The Flintstones (1994)
The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas (2000)
The Game, seasons 1-3
How to Marry a Millionaire (1953)
Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006)
Medium, seasons 1-7
Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, volume 1 (1968)
Mouse Hunt (1997)
My Sister's Wedding (2013)
Notting Hill (1999)
Numb3rs, seasons 1-6
Odd Squad, season 1
The Perfect Storm (2000)
The Quiet Man (1952)
Reading Rainbow, volume 1 (1985)
The Right Stuff (1983)
Rubber (2010)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)
Star Trek: Generations (1994)
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)
Team America: World Police (2004)
Tesla: Master of Lightning (2000)
Thumbelina (1994)
The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Other Stories (1993)
Wild Kratts, seasons 1-3
Witness (1985)
Women Aren't Funny (2014)
WordWorld, season 1
Zoboomafoo, Season 2

July 2

Venus and Serena (2012)

July 15

Color Crew (2010)

July 16

Serenity (2005)

July 31

Braxton Family Values, season 3

It's cool that we're getting BTTF, Lethal Weapon, and The Big Short, but gosh, they're getting rid of most of the Star Trek movies?

Ken Burns: The War is also leaving on 7/1.

Quasar

Finally got the price increase notice. Cancelled now. Though its mostly due to the fact that the price increase plus the state of the Aussie dollar means its cheaper to change to the Aussie netflix.

Though I do lose all the ratings and favourites and everything.

Now to test how much I really need it before resubscribing.

The Last Kingdom is a phenomenal show. When that hits next month I highly recommend it. It's about Vikings decimating England in the 900s and what England must do to fight back.

The Big Short is great too. Good story and it does a great job of explaining how the housing collapse happened ... and why it'll happen again :/

El Topo

I've been reading a few articles regarding streaming (rights) lately and I find it interesting that there are titles that the license holder does not make available for certain regions. We're talking all sorts of titles. Some not available in any way, really old titles that aired on TV ages ago, some out on DVD/Blu-Ray. Is there a good reason for that?

"Please feel free to scream your wants, dreams, desires and pain into this virtual bottomless cave."

No, no, they will *totally* listen to your proposals. This is absolutely not a feature for them to give users the impression that they're listening and make them feel better, while they continue on as before.
Joke aside, I think it is entirely possible that they'd take this data into account. My impression is that e.g. in Germany they have no idea what works and what doesn't.

Mindwipe

I've been reading a few articles regarding streaming (rights) lately and I find it interesting that there are titles that the license holder does not make available for certain regions. We're talking all sorts of titles. Some not available in any way, really old titles that aired on TV ages ago, some out on DVD/Blu-Ray. Is there a good reason for that? .

A lot of the time they don't have the underlying rights from the actors/music etc cleared themselves. Or at least they're not confident enough in that to sell, and this stuff isn't worth enough money to do the legal research to make sure.

Also producing broadcast masters to modern deliverable standards is expensive.

However, there aren't huge amounts of either of those. If a title isn't available, it means it's already sold exclusively or part of a holdback from another provider. That said provider is sitting on it is just one of those things.

El Topo

A lot of the time they don't have the underlying rights from the actors/music etc cleared themselves. Or at least they're not confident enough in that to sell, and this stuff isn't worth enough money to do the legal research to make sure.

Also producing broadcast masters to modern deliverable standards is expensive.

I had forgotten about that. That...actually makes a lot of sense. I always wonder how some shows never make it over here. Thanks.

The Last Kingdom is a phenomenal show. When that hits next month I highly recommend it. It's about Vikings decimating England in the 900s and what England must do to fight back.

The Big Short is great too. Good story and it does a great job of explaining how the housing collapse happened ... and why it'll happen again :/

I watch Vikings on History Channel, and I've read Cornwell's Saxon Series (or most of it, I've got a couple books left). I'm interesting in The Last Kingdom and happy to see it coming to Netflix. I will check it out and see how it compares to Vikings and whether it follows Cornwell's series closely.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
If you are an awful person and haven't seen 2001 or A Clockwork Orange yet, do so, now.

It's cool that we're getting BTTF, Lethal Weapon, and The Big Short, but gosh, they're getting rid of most of the Star Trek movies?

Ken Burns: The War is also leaving on 7/1.
It happens every year.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

El Topo

This was mentioned in the other thread about the Star Trek movies:

Same in Germany apparently, just in case someone from there somehow ends up in this thread. I think (if true) it's also the first time the movies would be available on a streaming platform in Germany.

Drain You

Kind of sad to see all those Trek movies leaving. Although for the most part I always preferred the series, and I recently binged all of the movies so this could be worse. Also cool to see Raiders of the Lost Ark being added as I've never seen.

Also random semi related question, and I don't mean to derail at all, but does a service exist where I can buy and download full quality blu rays? I've been dying to see The Thing in the highest quality possible and I don't really care to own the disc, but it seems like that just might be my best bet.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Best Friends Whenever Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Action, Thriller)
Spotlight (Drama, Crime)

Any recs for movies like Jack Reacher, Shooter, Out of the Furnace, or Blue Ruin? It doesn't even necessarily have to be on Netflix. Bonus if it came out within the past 10 years.

Any recs for movies like Jack Reacher, Shooter, Out of the Furnace, or Blue Ruin? It doesn't even necessarily have to be on Netflix. Bonus if it came out within the past 10 years.
Cold In July. Also, more of a neo-noir film more than action but Man From Reno is worth a look.

Edit: Shotgun Stories?

Slacker

The Fundamentals of Caring is up.

RT 72%
Metascore 53

Looks like a bit of a "check off the boxes" kind of dramedy, but judging by the trailers the performances look good enough to blow a couple hours on it.

Edit: Watched it and yep good performances, not really a good movie.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Deals in the Desert Season 1 (TV, Reality)
Dragons: Race to the Edge Season 3 (TV, Kids, Netflix Original)
Just Time Go Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Off Camera Season 1 (TV, Standup)
Partners in Crime Season 1-2 (TV, Documentary, Crime)
Sofia Nino de Rivera: Exposed (Standup, Foreign, Netflix Original)
The Fundamentals of Caring (Drama, Comedy, Netflix Original)

I don't think I am being unreasonable. Netflix, make it happen!

.eJwFwdENhCAMANBdGIBSQaBuQ4CgFxFCe1_mdr_3XvVdtzrUKTL5ACgX57GKZhkrtarbGO2uaV6s8-iQRFI-e32EAYPxW9zRhkhktugIkLyjQN4Yi3Z3MSKU2tNTWH9mU78_B7IiuQ.NZvwmFQVDnqq70UwwtGgMHm8g3s.jpg

Boney

Banned
So is nobody watching Lady Dynamite? I can't believe there's not an OT for it.

The show is amazingly subversive and relies on a meta humor that is not going to appeal to everybody, but it's undeniably fantastically made. I'm half way through the show and I'm loving it more every episode that passes. There's so much attention to detail, amazing dialogue pacing and visual gags that just really keeps you invested on what's happening 100% of the time. It really needs to spread the word so more people can watch both because it's fantastic and because it brings such an important topic to the table that's very often misconstrued and misrepresented.

So is nobody watching Lady Dynamite? I can't believe there's not an OT for it.

The show is amazingly subversive and relies on a meta humor that is not going to appeal to everybody, but it's undeniably fantastically made. I'm half way through the show and I'm loving it more every episode that passes. There's so much attention to detail, amazing dialogue pacing and visual gags that just really keeps you invested on what's happening 100% of the time. It really needs to spread the word so more people can watch both because it's fantastic and because it brings such an important topic to the table that's very often misconstrued and misrepresented.
I watched ep 1 and the jury is out yet but I was laughing out loud at the scene where the people kept randomly shooting guns into the air while Maria talked.

Edit: just finished episode 3 and now I want a Lucas Brothers sitcom where they're garbage men.

Top Bottom