• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

I remember seeing the previews for that before Zootopia and my 4 year old niece turns to me and says in a somber tone, 'That doesn't look too good.'

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Alice Through the Looking Glass (Family)
Aquarius (Drama, Foreign)
Casablancas: The Man Who Loved Women (Doc, Bio, Foreign)
Chiro Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Clinical (Thriller, Horror, Netflix Original)
Historia de un Clan Season 1 (TV, Crime, Drama, Foreign, Netflix Original)
It Follows (Horror)
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events Season 1 (TV, Drama, Netflix Original)
Little Men (Indie, Drama)
Maron Season 4 (TV, Comedy)
Pororo: The Little Penguin Season 3-4 (TV, Kids)
The Investigator: A British Crime Story Season 1 (TV, Doc, Netflix Original)
Very Big Shot (Comedy, Foreign)

tomtom94

Keen to give A Series of Unfortunate Events a try - you can tell Netflix knew they were onto a hit, it feels like it's had the biggest social media push since Black Mirror.

EDIT: Currently sitting at 82 on Metacritic.

Tales of Halloween is fun. It captures that suburban Halloween atmosphere with a bunch of different short stories, some of them actually have some pretty striking horror moments. It's mostly comedy, though.

fenners

Keen to give A Series of Unfortunate Events a try - you can tell Netflix knew they were onto a hit, it feels like it's had the biggest social media push since Black Mirror.

EDIT: Currently sitting at 82 on Metacritic.

It gets the thumbs up from my house after two episodes. My daughter's mad keen on the books & the other Lemony Snicket ones, and she's *loving* it. I'm digging it too.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It Follows sweet, intended to pick this up a few times, but always slipped my mind.

Evolved1

Is there any way to turn off the auto-play on the PS4 or SmartTV app?

That shit is F'n obnoxious.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Camp X-Ray (Doc, Cultural)
Cardboard Boxer (Indie, Drama)
Estar o no Estar (Drama, Romantic, Foreign)
Little Sister (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
The River Thief (Indie, Drama)

emag

Medici is more Assassin's Creed II than The Borgias ever was.

But the various English and American accents are ruining it for me. I need that fake Italian accent a la Ezio.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

A Beautiful Now (Indie, Drama)
About Scout (Indie, Drama)
Alleycats (Action, Thriller)
Annie ('82, Family)
Anthony Bourdain: A Cook's Tour Season 1-2 (TV, Food)
Berlin Calling (Drama, Foreign)
Cloroformo Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
El Chapulin Colorado Season 1 (TV, Kids, Foreign, No contaban con mi astucia)
El Hotel de los Secretos Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
Harry and Snowman (Doc, Bio, Sports)
Hijos de las Estrellas (TV, Doc, Science, Foreign)
Hostage to the Devil (Doc)
Hoy Soy Nadie Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
Inside Job (Doc, Cultural)
La Esquina del Diablo Season 1 (TV, Action, Foreign)
La Rosa de Guadalupe Collection 2 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
La Viuda Negra Season 2 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
Los Heroes del Norte (TV, Comedy, Foreign)
Max Rose (Indie, Drama)
My Animal Friends Season 2 (TV, Kids)
Resident Evil: Extinction (Action)
Route 35 Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
Sarajevo (Drama)
Stereo (Thriller, Foreign)
Teenage Cocktail (Indie, Drama)
The Inexplicable Universe with Neil deGrasse Tyson (Doc, Science)
The Lazarus Project (Thriller)
The Similars (Indie, SciFi, Horror, Foreign)
Unthinkable (Thriller)
Wanda and the Alien Season 1 (TV, Kids)
We are Young. We are Strong (Drama, Foreign)
Yago Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)
Your Brush with Nature Season 4 (TV, Reality)

I'm up to the last episode of unfortunate events. I think it's good, not great. The plot was a bit lacking imo but a lot of the other elements make up for it.

edit
Just finished it. The last 2 episodes were a bit better in terms of plot. Overall very solid. I hope next season has a better hook in terms of plot.

Slacker

We don't have a general streaming or Amazon streaming thread that I'm missing do we? I'm wondering if any of the recent Amazon stuff is worth trying.

So I just lost my job.
Other than Netflix originals what are some absolute must binge watches currently on Netflix?

Sorry to hear about the job. Join us here for commiseration and advice: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878963

Cheers, Frasier, The West Wing, Black Mirror (although I guess that's a Netflix original now)., Futurama (the original run stuff at least - "The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings" is the original finale). Freaks and Geeks.

tchocky

We don't have a general streaming or Amazon streaming thread that I'm missing do we? I'm wondering if any of the recent Amazon stuff is worth trying.

The only Amazon original I have watched is Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton and it was really good for the most part.

Sorry to hear about the job. Join us here for commiseration and advice: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878963

Cheers, Frasier, The West Wing, Black Mirror (although I guess that's a Netflix original now)., Futurama (the original run stuff at least - "The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings" is the original finale). Freaks and Geeks.

Sorry to hear about your job.

Friday Night Lights is a must.

Thank you.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So I just lost my job.
Other than Netflix originals what are some absolute must binge watches currently on Netflix?

Friday Night Lights
Lost
House
Peaky Blinders
Breaking Bad
The League
Archer

Sneaky Pete I heard it good.
Transparent.
The Man in the High Castle.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

An American Werewolf in London (Horror)
Army Dog (Family)
Battle for Terra (Family)
Belly (Action)
Born to Win (Drama)
Countdown (Action, Thriller)
Extraction (Action, Thriller)
Flash of Genius (Drama)
Halloweed (Horror, Comedy)
Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love (Drama, Romantic, Foreign)
Last Knights (Action)
Man About Town (Comedy, Drama)
Mercury Plains (Action, Thriller)
Pups United (Family)
Remember Me (Romantic, Drama)
Sinister (Horror, Supernatural)
Sniper (Action)
Stevie (Doc, Bio)
The Beaver (Indie, Dark Comedy)
The Cold Light of Day (Action, Thriller)
The Ghost Writer (Thriller)
The Impossible (Drama)
The Prince (Action, Thriller)
The Rezort (Horror, Zombie)
The Three Musketeers ('11, Action)
The Wraith (Action, SciFi)
Wiener Dog Internationals (Family)

Been watching Colony and gotta say it's some of the best TV sci-fi I've seen in a while. Really took me by surprise and the plot progression and overall pacing is great. The mysteries capture my imagination and the setting feels well realized. Glad I listened to the recommendations here because S1 delivered.

Am I wrong for thinking Troll Hunters is actually pretty damn good?

Nope. It's enjoyable. Mind you, I'm 49.

I couldn't get my 13 year old daughter to look at the TV long enough to watch it. DAMN SMART PHONES.

My 36 year old friend told me about it. He likes it a lot.

It's not great...but I can't wait for season 2. It's good.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Death Race 2050 (Action, SciFi)
Fatima (Drama, Foreign)
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Season 1 (TV, Kids)
Ixcanul (Drama, Foreign)
Neal Brennan: 3 Mics (Standup, Netflix Original)
She-Ra Season 1 (TV, Kids)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I finished A Series of Unfortunate Events, man, I loved it. Probably won't be for everyone and it can be quite depressing/sad, but I think it is worth the watch. Some great performances in there.

Chairhome

I finished Crazyhead. It was okay. I was hoping more from creators of Misfits (one of my favorites), but it did get better as it went on. Some good jokes too. I'd say its worth a watch, just keep expectations low.

Also, finished the 2nd ep of Lemony Snicket with my wife and kids and we are enjoying it so far. NPH is delightful.

Evolved1

First three episodes on Colony... Idk, not sure if I'll stick with it.

Why did it have to be Lori... the actor is so hard to watch with her TWD baggage.

I finished Crazyhead. It was okay. I was hoping more from creators of Misfits (one of my favorites), but it did get better as it went on. Some good jokes too. I'd say its worth a watch, just keep expectations low.

Also, finished the 2nd ep of Lemony Snicket with my wife and kids and we are enjoying it so far. NPH is delightful.

I liked misfits but crazyhead is a miss for me. They should have kept misfits going, but the cast turnover was... so high.

I might be dense, but the final act of It Follows ruined the movie for me. It really took me out of it with how ridiculous it became. The build and dread was great though.

I might be dense, but the final act of It Follows ruined the movie for me. It really took me out of it with how ridiculous it became. The build and dread was great though.

This. But then I feel this way about a lot of horror movies. The dread is the good part, but once you see "the monster" or what have you, the actual tension disappears.

This. But then I feel this way about a lot of horror movies. The dread is the good part, but once you see "the monster" or what have you, the actual tension disappears.

I'm usually the same way about "tell, don't show" but thought it worked in It Follows. My gripes were mostly with what the protagonists did towards the end.

Ending Spoilers:

Paul's "heroics' in the pool scene absolutely ruined the movie for me. Dude was just randomly shooting towards his friends because he had a raging boner for Jay. Yara got shot in the leg and they just sort of left her there. She was pretty much useless and only there to say some foreshadowing quotes. Jay guilt fucks him and they become a couple.

Definitely think it's in the higher tier of modern horror films. I've seen a lot of terrible ones.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Caida del Cielo (Romantic, Comedy, Foreign)
Closet Monster (Indie, Comedy, LGBT)
Enlighten Us (Doc)
Frontier Season 1 (TV, Action, Netflix Original)
Gato Negro (Drama, Foreign)
Good Kids (Indie, Comedy)
Imprisoned (Drama, Foreign)
My Best Friend (Family)
Papa (Drama)
Pink (Drama, Foreign)
Precious Puppies (Family)
Take the 10 (Comedy, Netflix Original)
Voltron: Legendary Defender Season 2 (TV, Kids, Netflix Original)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Bates Motel Season 4 (TV, Drama, Horror)
Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of the National Lampoon (Doc, Cultural)
Everything Must Go (Indie, Drama)
Grami's Circus Show Season 2 (TV, Kids)
The Beat Beneath My Feet (Indie, Comedy)

Top Bottom