• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I finally decided to try Netflix, but i got a question. I'm currently watching a movie on Netflix through my Wii U, and the subtitles seems to have a 1-2 secs delay before appearing on screen after the guys on screen start to talk. Is that normal? Its bothering me a little, i'm used to seeing them instantly.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I finally decided to try Netflix, but i got a question. I'm currently watching a movie on Netflix through my Wii U, and the subtitles seems to have a 1-2 secs delay before appearing on screen after the guys on screen start to talk. Is that normal? Its bothering me a little, i'm used to seeing them instantly.

Some movies/shows have that. Usually something wrong on Netflix end that needs fixing.

Bisnic

Some movies/shows have that. Usually something wrong on Netflix end that needs fixing.

And how do you change a movie from SD to HD? Mine is currently running in SD, despite the word "HD" being visible next to the title, and i see no option to changing it. Just the option to put subtitles. Then again, maybe its a Wii U thing...

Thanks by the way.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
And how do you change a movie from SD to HD? Mine is currently running in SD, despite the word "HD" being visible next to the title, and i see no option to changing it. Just the option to put subtitles. Then again, maybe its a Wii U thing...

Thanks by the way.

Depends on your connection/Netflix. You cant switch between them(if the movie isnt in hd, you are stuck with sd, if your connection blows, you will get sd).

I don't think Wii U is the best place for steaming Netflix. It was terrible on the Wii.

Bisnic

I guess i can deal with SD, after all i just spent the last months watching the 8 seasons of 24 on DVD. :p The movie is streaming just fine outside of that.

Kaladin

981632_10151545432948870_1376491500_o.jpg
This looks interesting.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Is there any way I can sue Netflix or the studio responsible for Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows for losing two hours of my life to this complete travesty?

Anyone else having trouble getting Netflix to run in HD?

One episode, I'll have full HD with no problem. Next episode, the player refuses to buffer, even when I try to force it.

Is there any way I can sue Netflix or the studio responsible for Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows for losing two hours of my life to this complete travesty?

I'm not a fan of that either. I have tried, unsuccessfully, two times to finish it...

I finished Orange is the New Black. Damn, it might be my favorite new show. Season one of it was on par with early seasons of other great cable shows I loved (Dexter, Weeds, True Blood, etc).

Depends on your connection/Netflix. You cant switch between them(if the movie isnt in hd, you are stuck with sd, if your connection blows, you will get sd).

I don't think Wii U is the best place for steaming Netflix. It was terrible on the Wii.

The Wii U handles wireless N. I've found it's streaming to be better than PS3 over WiFi. Wired the PS3 wins though.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Watching "super" right now. Wow like it a lot so far.

Edit:
Linda candelini (don't know spell) is fuckig in this??!!! Awesome.

Wag

FYI: If you guys use UnoTelly instead of UnBlock they offer a feature that allows you to have different version of Netflix simultaneously on different devices (for the same $5/mo). Works great if there is more than 1 person in the house.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 (Anime)
Eden of the East: Paradise Lost (Anime)
God's Country (Family, Drama)
A Haunting at Silver Falls (Horror, Supernatural)
The Collection (Horror)
The Jeffrey Dahmer Files (Documentary, Crime)
Shut Up and Play the Hits (Documentary, Music, LCD Soundsystems)

Hi guys – I just signed up for Unblock-us and have a couple of questions if anyone would be kind enough to help me with. I find their tutorials a little lacking in specifics:

1. Does changing the DNS settings via your router affect the speeds? I’ve been manually changing my DNS settings in via my 360 preferences and other devices. It would obviously be easier to have them changed in the router but I’d rather not if it will effect my speeds for gaming, downloading etc .

2. When I switch regions on the Ublock-us website, the DNS settings listed on their various device walkthrough pages seem to stay the same. Wouldn’t you need different DNS numbers to reflect the Netflix region that you’re wanting to access?

Thanks for helping out the technically challenged ;)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Hi guys – I just signed up for Unblock-us and have a couple of questions if anyone would be kind enough to help me with. I find their tutorials a little lacking in specifics:

1. Does changing the DNS settings via your router affect the speeds? I’ve been manually changing my DNS settings in via my 360 preferences and other devices. It would obviously be easier to have them changed in the router but I’d rather not if it will effect my speeds for gaming, downloading etc .

2. When I switch regions on the Ublock-us website, the DNS settings listed on their various device walkthrough pages seem to stay the same. Wouldn’t you need different DNS numbers to reflect the Netflix region that you’re wanting to access?

Thanks for helping out the technically challenged ;)

1- Not that I have notice or know of.
2- Nope. Just change it once and switch between regions.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Cool! Just to clarify - I switch it on the website and keep my DNS settings the same on my router or devices? Thanks again!

Yeah, after you switched your DNS settings (or devices, if you go that route), you only have to go to the site, switch to what region you want to go to, and all the devices connected to that router, will switch region.

Edit- Use this site to look up what movies are available under what region. Just search, and if it is available, click the Netflix logo and it will tell you. If you are searching shows, make sure to click shows first.

Yeah, after you switched your DNS settings (or devices, if you go that route), you only have to go to the site, switch to what region you want to go to, and all the devices connected to that router, will switch region.

Edit- Use this site to look up what movies are available under what region. Just search, and if it is available, click the Netflix logo and it will tell you. If you are searching shows, make sure to click shows first.

Great - thanks for the link!

JavyOO7

Added today:

The Collection (Horror)

Thank you for bringing this up to day. I can finally watch the second movie. But I'm going to rewatch the series again before I watch the second movie... I really liked the series.

Kaladin

Added today:

The Collection (Horror)

I knew there was a reason I was waiting to watch Shut Up And Play The Hits.

Batigol

Banned
FYI: If you guys use UnoTelly instead of UnBlock they offer a feature that allows you to have different version of Netflix simultaneously on different devices (for the same $5/mo). Works great if there is more than 1 person in the house.

Thanks for this. Gonna try it out. Having trouble with unblock lately

vazel

Banned
Nice to see another media DNS service. But why do they keep charging money. How expensive can it be to run DNS servers. All they're doing is resolving IP addresses. OpenDNS and Google DNS are free. I'm just hoping some altruistic reddit guy sets up a free media DNS service one day.

Maybe I'm missing something (probably), but I've posted at least 3 times in the past six months that if you just go to Google and search for us Netflix dns you get a ton of dns numbers you can use for free.

Not sure why people keep harping on about paying any money.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Maybe I'm missing something (probably), but I've posted at least 3 times in the past six months that if you just go to Google and search for us Netflix dns you get a ton of dns numbers you can use for free.

Don't you have to grab the DNS settings for every region? And when you want to switch region, you have to switch the DNS settings again?

Don't you have to grab the DNS settings for every region? And when you want to switch region, you have to switch the DNS settings again?

Kind of. I do it on my Xbox though, so if I want to switch regions I just go to either automatic dns settings (Canada) or manual settings (us) which is always saved. Takes less than 20 seconds.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Kind of. I do it on my Xbox though, so if I want to switch regions I just go to either automatic dns settings (Canada) or manual settings (us) which is always saved. Takes less than 20 seconds.

It is fine if you are switching between two regions, but not if you are using all of them like I do.

I would rather pay the $5 and switch with the click of two buttons, than to have to manually enter anything every time I want to switch. That's just me though.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
If it's available in a different region switch to that one. I had to end up using Finland when I watched to watch Seven because Brazil and Mexico both had hard subs.
So far I tried two regions with Minority Report and they both had subtitles with no option to turn off.

b3b0p

If you futs around with the subtitles settings you can get them to go away. I had the same issue.

If you change it to the native language, you get an option to remove the subtitles and at some point during the loading if you click back to english the no subtitles option stays. It's hard to get just right.

I do it because my family also uses Netflix, they aren't really that technically proficient, and I have 10 devices in my house that have a Netflix app/browser streaming capability. I can manage it all from a web page and have all the devices change region that I've modified the DNS settings on. It's worth the $5 in my instance because I can't be there 24/7 to help modify DNS for my family, and it's not in their interests to learn about DNS.

I’m kind of blown away by how well Unblock-Us works – extra cool that it’s a Canadian site too. It’s so nice to be switching between regions on the fly and BIG thanks to GK86 for the help and the http://www.moreflicks.com/ link. So great to be able to peruse this on the iPad – there’s so many more choices!

Kaladin

The first and I think last(?) stories are the best ones. Both of them creeped me out. Skip the hotel one (the second story) as that is the worst of the bunch.

That first story where
she ripped the dudes frank and beans off.....yeah.....wtf.

Top Bottom