• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Anth1888

Amazing that Rome made it onto Netflix. I always assumed HBO had most of the rights to the series. But I guess the BBC owns a good chunk of the show too because there is no way HBO likes this.

I doubt HBO has a distribution channel in the UK, so they most likely sold the rights to highest bidder.

Sky Atlantic hold all the rights to HBO shows in the UK: The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Game of Thrones etc and seasons are made available On Demand through Sky. (except from True Blood which is contracted to FX/FOX until the end of its run). Sky have also never shown Rome on Atlantic

Seems like BBC have the online/TV distribution rights to Rome even though the DVD/Blu-ray is released by WB/HBO.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
House of Cards

Just finished that episode. All I will say is W T F. I am just fucking floored that a certain thing just happened.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm 6 episodes into Orange is the New Black and it is excellent so far. I really didn't know anything about going in but (so far) it's actually my favourite Netflix original. Wasn't expecting that.

Just finished this, it's probably the best new show debut in years, it's really good and the whole cast delivers. Kate Mulgrew nails her character, I didn't even think about Janeway once, last time a known actor managed to make me completely forget about the role they were famous for was Michael C. Hall as Dexter.

Seriously, watch this show.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It felt like a Breaking Bad moment, except taken to a whole other level.
I don't even know what to think. It's made me really question the entire show to the point where I feel completely different about its outcome than I did before. Not really sure where they are going to go with season 2 at this point but I feel like by the end of it the series should have run its course.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just finished this, it's probably the best new show debut in years, it's really good and the whole cast delivers. Kate Mulgrew nails her character, I didn't even think about Janeway once, last time a known actor managed to make me completely forget about the role they were famous for was Michael C. Hall as Dexter.

Seriously, watch this show.

I haven't finished yet, but I couldn't recommend it enough. It rivals House of Cards for best new show, for me. The cast is top notch. Whoever is leading the charge over at Netflix programming, they better pay him/her double to keep them around.

I don't even know what to think. It's made me really question the entire show to the point where I feel completely different about its outcome than I did before. Not really sure where they are going to go with season 2 at this point but I feel like by the end of it the series should have run its course.

I believe they stated that the next season will be the last. I could be mistaken though.

Season 2 was greenlit before the show aired, so it's getting made for sure. I can also believe that it would be the last season as the whole show is based on a Memoir of a real woman so there's only so much they can mine from that source before they'd have to completely fabricate everything.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
When i watched this I started thinking about how many potential gaffers are like this IRL

Haha yeah

Lars kind of reminds me of myself /wrist ;__;

I can also believe that it would be the last season as the whole show is based on a Memoir of a real woman so there's only so much they can mine from that source before they'd have to completely fabricate everything.

Oh, my god, I can stretch this shit out for years! There’s no question. We looked at the first season, and I think we covered four months. I can keep going. I can go off with other characters. I have no problem with that. We could go for 10 seasons on this, if need be. As long as there are still interesting stories and still interesting people that we want to meet, I can keep it going. - Jenji Kohan, creator

jakncoke

Banned
Added today:

The Achievers: The Story of the Lebowski Fans (Documentary, Social)
Don Friesen: Ask Your Mom (Stand-up)
Done the Impossible (Documentary, FireFly Show)
For Richer or Poorer (TV, Comedy)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (Anime, Fantasy, Action)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (Anime, Fantasy, Action)
Lab Rats (TV, Kids)
Lakey Peterson: Zero to 100 (Documentary, Sports)
A Monster in Paris (Animation, Family, Comedy)
Peep Show (TV, Comedy, UK)
Political Animals (TV, Miniseries, Drama)
State of Emergency (Horror, Zombies)
The Last Kung Fu Monk (Action, Martial Arts)

Canada:

The Achievers: The Story of the Lebowski Fans (Documentary, Social)
Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame (Action, Martial Arts, Foreign)
Done the Impossible (Documentary, FireFly Show)
Lakey Peterson: Zero to 100 (Documentary, Sports)

You should note that the richer or poorer that got added is a 2012 movie or whatever not the tim allen/kirstie alley movie :/

*Orange is the New Black Show Creator Quote*

Yeah but "going off with other characters" would just be fabricating at that point, wouldn't it? I haven't read the book but I can't imagine it gets that tremendously detailed with the other inmates. At least not for that many additional seasons.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
"We built this schmidty, on tootsie rolls."

I love New Girl. If you haven't watch this at all, what are you waiting for?

"We built this schmidty, on tootsie rolls."

I love New Girl. If you haven't watch this at all, what are you waiting for?

ermUkmA.gif

Season 2 is even better. I hope it goes up soon so more people can see it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Added today:

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (Anime, Fantasy, Action)

Nice. Hopefully this means more anime is coming. Brotherhood is really good. Closer to the manga adaptation and different from the first anime series. Wonder why they didn't get Conqueror of Shamballa too though. Is the rest of Brotherhood coming? Still missing the last 12 eps.

Oooh...and both dubbed and subbed versions to boot. Have they been doing that with all of their anime of late? Haven't watched any for some time now.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah but "going off with other characters" would just be fabricating at that point, wouldn't it? I haven't read the book but I can't imagine it gets that tremendously detailed with the other inmates. At least not for that many additional seasons.

I don't think the show is an exact adaptation of the book. I think that they're already taking a lot of liberties with the source material.

I don't think the show is an exact adaptation of the book. I think that they're already taking a lot of liberties with the source material.

You're likely right but I guess I just look at taking liberties for the sake of entertainment as a lesser issue than outright inventing entire story elements. It probably doesn't make much sense though.

sharbhund

Sky Atlantic hold all the rights to HBO shows in the UK: The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Game of Thrones etc and seasons are made available On Demand through Sky. (except from True Blood which is contracted to FX/FOX until the end of its run). Sky have also never shown Rome on Atlantic

Seems like BBC have the online/TV distribution rights to Rome even though the DVD/Blu-ray is released by WB/HBO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_(TV_series)#Development
In 2002, HBO and the BBC agreed to co-produce the series, committing a US$100–110 million (£62.7 million) budget to the production of twelve 1-hour episodes, with HBO contributing $85 million, and the BBC contributing $15 million.[3] The BBC contributed £800,000 to every episode of Rome in its first season.[4] Rome is the largest co-produced series with the American film market in the BBC's history. The series also marked the first series on which HBO and the BBC worked together as co-producers, although the two companies had worked together in other roles in earlier series, including Band of Brothers and The Gathering Storm.[5]

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
How many episodes did you all watch? Out of curiosity. The first couple are okay, but once it finds its footing and becomes more about the group instead of just Zooey's character, it gets so much better. The thanksgiving episode was the first truly stand out episode for me.

Yeah, I started to enjoy it more when it was more group focused rather than this girl whose life was turned upside down.

How many episodes did you all watch? Out of curiosity. The first couple are okay, but once it finds its footing and becomes more about the group instead of just Zooey's character, it gets so much better. The thanksgiving episode was the first truly stand out episode for me.

1 and a half. Zooey Deschanel is easy on the eyes but, for the most part I can't stand her in this show. She's love or hate with me. Some of her work I've really enjoyed. Some of it made me want to puke.

1 and a half. Zooey Deschanel is easy on the eyes but, for the most part I can't stand her in this show. She's love or hate with me. Some of her work I've really enjoyed. Some of it made me want to puke.

Give episodes 3 (Wedding), 5 (CeCe Crashes), and 6 (Thanksgiving) a try. That is when the focus is more balanced among the cast, and the Schmidt lovefest begins. I am also a really big fan of episode 12 (The Landlord). They make a point of mocking how Zooey gets away with things just by batting her eyes and trying to act cute, and the roommates do not like what happens because of whom she does it to.

Sorry you did not like the pilot and half of second episode, but they are pretty weak compared to the rest of the season.

Give episodes 3 (Wedding), 5 (CeCe Crashes), and 6 (Thanksgiving) a try. That is when the focus is more balanced among the cast, and the Schmidt lovefest begins. I am also a really big fan of episode 12 (The Landlord). They make a point of mocking how Zooey gets away with things just by batting her eyes and trying to act cute, and the roommates do not like what happens because of whom she does it to.

Sorry you did not like the pilot and half of second episode, but they are pretty weak compared to the rest of the season.

I'll check them out. I've already watched a ton of terrible crap on Netflix so it won't hurt to give this another shot. :)

At least once a week my wife says, "Why are you watching this?" To which I always reply, "I don't know. It's half over now so I might as well finish it."

Kaladin

So what is the next big Netflix series on the horizon? Dexter? What about after that? I'm really looking forward to Sense8 but that's a long way off.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So what is the next big Netflix series on the horizon? Dexter? What about after that? I'm really looking forward to Sense8 but that's a long way off.

I think the next big one is the dark comedy from Ricky Gervias. Forgot the name of it.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Why isn't the U.S. Netflix receiving anything decent in the last couple of months? There's so many movies from 2012 that I want to see and they barely have any. It's like they don't care anymore.

Darkmakaimura

Did the remove Dark Knight Rises already from Sweden's Netflix?

Edit: NVM.

But wtf? I have to watch it in Chrome!?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yeah, I figured it out but seems like I can only use this in Chrome.

WTF does the .exe file default to Chrome? If I'm in Firefox and I go to http://www.unblock-us.com/?ubs=2.7 it doesn't recognize I have the .exe installed.

As far as I know, the exe is optional and its suppose to make it easier to use the service. It will show up in your taskbar and you can switch from there, rather than going to the site. I don't know why its asking you for it though, since it is optional. Hit up customer service. Its top notch.

Darkmakaimura

As far as I know, the exe is optional and its suppose to make it easier to use the service. It will show up in your taskbar and you can switch from there, rather than going to the site. I don't know why its asking you for it though, since it is optional. Hit up customer service. Its top notch.
Closed out the browser and it's working with FF now.

Kaladin

Welcome to greatness.

Derek if I'm not mistaken. I think that's the last show for this year.

I thought Derek was UK produced and has already aired over there.....I was looking for original content. I don't really see anything on the schedule.

Darkmakaimura

Batman Begins
Ghostbusters
Taken
Project X
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
All the Martix movies
Tron: Legacy
Collateral
Wrath of the Titans
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Minority Report
Law Abiding Citizen
Kill Bill 1/2
Harry Potter: Deadly Hallows 1
A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas
Horrible Bosses
Martyrs
The Goonies
V (tv series)
Falling Skies (tv)
The Devil's Rejects
Ducktales
Yay, looks like I'll be watching these along with Dark Knight Rises this week.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I thought Derek was UK produced and has already aired over there.....I was looking for original content. I don't really see anything on the schedule.

Its funny, I thought he was remaking it for here, but I guess not. We are getting s1 which has already aired. So not sure why they waited this long to premiere it.

Here is what is in the pipeline:

A kids show based on the Turbo Fast movie. Which should come out later end of this year.
Shrek (2014)
Kids show based on The Croods (2014).
Sense8 (2014).
House of Cards S2 (2014).
Lilyhammer S2 (2014).
Hemlock Grove S2 (2014?)
Orange is the new black S2 (2014?).
Arrested Development S5 (negotiating 2014?).

Kaladin

Its funny, I thought he was remaking it for here, but I guess not. We are getting s1 which has already aired. So not sure why they waited this long to premiere it.

Here is what is in the pipeline:

A kids show based on the Turbo Fast movie. Which should come out later end of this year.
Shrek (2014)
Kids show based on The Croods (2014).
Sense8 (2014).
House of Cards S2 (2014).
Lilyhammer S2 (2014).
Hemlock Grove S2 (2014?)
Orange is the new black S2 (2014?).
Arrested Development S5 (negotiating 2014?).

So the next original adult programming to look forward to is Sense8. I guess that should be fine with the loads of new TV seasons they should be adding in the next month or two with fall TV starting up.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So the next original adult programming to look forward to is Sense8. I guess that should be fine with the loads of new TV seasons they should be adding in the next month or two with fall TV starting up.

I forgot one more, a show based on the life of Pablo Escobar. This is what they have hinted at, but I think you can expect more original shows to hit next year. They have ramped up their content output.

Top Bottom