• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

How is the show? I keep seeing it suggested to me on Netflix but I never bothered to watch more than 20 minutes of the first episode.

It's pretty damn good. I enjoyed it a good bit. Unlike most series, it doesn't overstay it's welcome. They have a story to tell and they tell it in an interesting fashion.

Last night I started watching I Am, the new-agey documentary from Tom Shadyac, director of Ace Ventura and other comedies. While I have an interest in this sort of thing, I always bring a healthy skepticism to any movies that feature mind-reading yogurt.

So I pick it up again this morning about a half-hour in, as I'm drinking my green tea, and I'm suddenly treated to a black and white extreme closeup of a woman's eyeball being sliced open with a straight razor, while Shadyac narrates something about feeling the suffering of others. JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH??? First thing in the morning, too. I bailed at this point.

Anyway, I googled some info about that scene today, and it turns out it's from some surrealist 1929 Dali film, and camera had cut from the woman's face with the razor poised to what was actually a closeup of a dead calf's eyeball that then gets sliced open. So, it turns out it wasn't real, but I'm still pissed as hell at the director for randomly sticking a shot like that in what was supposed to be a fluff documentary.

I post this as a public service to anyone else who might check out I Am.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Last night I started watching I Am, the new-agey documentary from Tom Shadyac, director of Ace Ventura and other comedies. While I have an interest in this sort of thing, I always bring a healthy skepticism to any movies that feature mind-reading yogurt.

So I pick it up again this morning about a half-hour in, as I'm drinking my green tea, and I'm suddenly treated to a black and white extreme closeup of a woman's eyeball being sliced open with a straight razor, while Shadyac narrates something about feeling the suffering of others. JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH??? First thing in the morning, too. I bailed at this point.

Anyway, I googled some info about that scene today, and it turns out it's from some surrealist 1929 Dali film, and camera had cut from the woman's face with the razor poised to what was actually a closeup of a dead calf's eyeball that then gets sliced open. So, it turns out it wasn't real, but I'm still pissed as hell at the director for randomly sticking a shot like that in what was supposed to be a fluff documentary.

Da fuq, that sounds awful. Will avoid, thanks for the heads up.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Oh dear, looks like you got some accidental cultural education along with your newage bullshit. You should sue.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

Sounds like absolute garbage.

Been pretty disappointed with Netflix. The person here subscribing to it is cancelling. Only good thing was Fringe S5 and that was pulled until September 12th. :\

Aiii

So not worth it

Been pretty disappointed with Netflix. The person here subscribing to it is cancelling. Only good thing was Fringe S5 and that was pulled until September 12th. :\

If you just subscribed, I don't see how you can't find anything on Netflix you'll enjoy.

kaskade

I have to say it is a bummer that some movies aren't on there consistently. I've been meaning to rewatch District 9 and Se7en. I'm pretty sure both were on there before.

jts

...hate me...
Sumthin fishy going on. Netflix not working for me or the missus on different iPads.

We rely on unblock-us to get the service, however unblock-us status is fine. And Netflix works via browser on a computer. Can't believe I'll have to watch my nightly Office episodes with my laptop sitting on my chest. Meh.

Anyone else?

Dwayne

Sumthin fishy going on. Netflix not working for me or the missus on different iPads.

We rely on unblock-us to get the service, however unblock-us status is fine. And Netflix works via browser on a computer. Can't believe I'll have to watch my nightly Office episodes with my laptop sitting on my chest. Meh.

Anyone else?

They're having some issues, check twitter.

abundant

If you're watching the "first" season...The one with The Ninth Doctor and Rose-most people like myself will tell you the first half of that season hasn't aged well, and can be kind of corny and hokey-some people are turned off by that. I can assure you though that if you stick with it, at least til season's end, you'll really be hooked. In my opinion the show really hits it's stride in the Fifth Season, but there are tons of great episodes and moments in 1-4. In that first half of the season, the show was "production-wise" still finding it's voice. The Slitheen episodes in particular are embarrassingly bad. The director of those episodes apparently took some liberties with the script and made it more silly than it was intended to be-and he subsequently was not asked back.
I am done with the first part of series 6 and I agree with this. The show gets more serialized and the time travel elements (
River Song
) are great.

Darkmakaimura

If you just subscribed, I don't see how you can't find anything on Netflix you'll enjoy.
No, subscribed for awhile and I've been using it on and off since maybe 2008 or 2009. But recently had it over the last few months and I really don't find much of interest on it. Everything I did I already watched. Most of the movies are either older films or lesser known titles it seems.

No, subscribed for awhile and I've been using it on and off since maybe 2008 or 2009. But recently had it over the last few months and I really don't find much of interest on it. Everything I did I already watched. Most of the movies are either older films or lesser known titles it seems.
Lesser known titles are where this service is great. Stuff you would not see otherwise, and many surprises found within.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Arbitrage (Indie, Drama)
Harland Williams: A Force of Nature (Stand-up)
Moonphase (Anime, Fantasy, Comedy)
Note to Self (Romantic, Comedy)
The Other Dream Team (Documentary, Sports/Basketball)
The Sword with No Name (Drama, War, Foreign)

Canada:

Colombiana (Action)
Moonphase (Anime, Fantasy, Comedy)
Patton (Drama, War)
Predators (Action)
The Sword with No Name (Drama, War, Foreign)
Ultimate Spider-Man (TV, Cartoons, Kids)

UK:

13 Ghosts (Horror)
Adaptation. (Indie, Comedy)
Airplane! (Comedy)
Can't Hardly Wait (Comedy)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition (SciFi)
Déjà Vu (Action, SciFi)
Erin Brockovich (Drama)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Comedy)
Fly Away Home (Family, Drama)
Ghost (Romantic, Drama)
Gone in 60 Seconds (Action)
Krull (Adventure, SciFi)
Little Women (Family, Drama)
Metropolis (Anime, Fantasy)
Mr. 3000 (Comedy)
My Geisha (Comedy)
Never Talk to Strangers (Thriller)
Phenomenon (Drama)
Pineapple Express (Comedy)
Road House (Action)
Sorority Boys (Comedy)
The Animal (Comedy)
The Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation (Family, Adventure)
The Craft (Supernatural)
The Green Hornet (Action, Comedy)
The Wicker Man (Horror, Thriller)
Unbreakable (Action, Thriller)
Vanilla Sky (Thriller)
Who's Harry Crumb? (Comedy)
X Games: The Movie (Documentary, Sports)

The UK stuff is all from the past few days, not just today.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
With netflix not working right, can someone give me their bluray rental pricing structure?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Just finished watching The Other Dream Team which they just added today like GK86 posted.

Great and very well produced documentary about the Lithuanian 1992 Olympic Basketball team. Topics ranges from Lithuanian independence from Russia, the underrated Sabonis and the Grateful Dead. Highly recommended if your into sports, or even history considering its mostly political.

Darkmakaimura

$8 a month and complaining lol weak.
Well, I'm not the one paying for it and it's pretty much being done because where I'm at, we're on a seriously tight budget. It's being cancelled more for that but yes, I feel the U.S. Netflix generally doesn't have that great a selection. If it were up to me and I had the money to spare, I'd keep Netflix and get Unblock-Us. That would be worth it.

Also, try to cool off with the snide remarks there. I'm not the one flipping the bill as I had mentioned previously and it's simply my opinion on the selection. No need for the attitude.

If you have access to the Canadian selection, I recommend Flight. It's a good story about a pilot who saves a bunch of people and his ongoing struggles with alcoholism.

One more for the ignore list.

I just watched Starlet over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. The acting is a little up and down but it's a thoughtful, quiet story that had me engaged all the way through. Kind of reminded me of something that would have come out of the 70's BBS series of films.

One warning though: there's an explicit sex scene that some might find a little distasteful. To me, it helped in keeping a very authentic feel to the whole film. Definate recommendation from me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just finished watching The Other Dream Team which they just added today like GK86 posted.

Great and very well produced documentary about the Lithuanian 1992 Olympic Basketball team. Topics ranges from Lithuanian independence from Russia, the underrated Sabonis and the Grateful Dead. Highly recommended if your into sports, or even history considering its mostly political.

When I read the description, I added it to my Q. Glad it is a good documentary. It sounded like a great underdog type story.

If you have access to the Canadian selection, I recommend Flight. It's a good story about a pilot who saves a bunch of people and his ongoing struggles with alcoholism.

I loved Flight. Denzel was amazing as usual, but the cast was outstanding. The beginning scenes with the plane crash was really well done. I recommend it as well.

Darkmakaimura

One more for the ignore list.
Well, that's a first. Adding me to an ignore list for a pretty unoffensive opinion. Okay.

Netflix + Unblock Us is the shit.
Yes, I think it is. I felt the Netflix services outside the U.S. offered a better selection of movies and definitely make it worth the extra $5 a month.

I don't hate Netflix. Personally, if I could afford it I would keep it. However, lately I've been disappointed by the selection. Still found it worth it just for Fringe alone. I loved that show!

haikira

Always used the PS3 + Unblock, but i've been having some trouble with it. After checking out the forums on unblock, i think the mods are aware of problems for a small amount of PS3 users. They're saying it's out of their control and to do with something Sony is currently doing in the US.

Anyway, now I'm using the 360 Netflix app. I just wanted to know. Is there a way to select what episode of a show you want to watch? The only option I seem to have is to autoplay a show and then while it's playing an episode, I can bring up an episode guide. So far, this definitely seems like the least intuitive Netflix app I've used so far.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Always used the PS3 + Unblock, but i've been having some trouble with it. After checking out the forums on unblock, i think the mods are aware of problems for a small amount of PS3 users. They're saying it's out of their control and to do with something Sony is currently doing in the US.

Anyway, now I'm using the 360 Netflix app. I just wanted to know. Is there a way to just click a show and pick what episode you want without it autoplaying? Finding that pretty damn annoying.

Hey cool it wasn't just me with the issue :(

haikira

Hey cool it wasn't just me with the issue :(

If you were getting something like "This content is currently unavailable" messages at random, then it's very likely the same thing.

EDIT: Actually. Now I'm not sure if you're talking about the PS3 issues or the annoying auto play on the 360. Whoops.

calder

I'm so confused by the profile shit you guys are talking about. Is this different than the user profiles I've been using this whole time on PS3? I know the AppleTV app doesn't - or at least didn't - support profiles (yet my iPad did) which is why I always use my PS3, but I must be missing something else.

I'm so confused by the profile shit you guys are talking about. Is this different than the user profiles I've been using this whole time on PS3? I know the AppleTV app doesn't - or at least didn't - support profiles (yet my iPad did) which is why I always use my PS3, but I must be missing something else.

Not sure what it's like on PS3 but up until now, you only had one instant queue and if you shared your account with multiple people whatever they watched and rated affected the titles they would recommend to you. Now each profile gets its own queue, ratings, and recommendations.

GeeDuhb

I still haven't seen Max on my PS3 yet.

STILL

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Have not seen it either. Although, I still don't think I ever got the last Netflix update and tried everything I could think of on multiple occasions (smooth scrolling, 10 second jump back, subtitle on/off in movie, etc). It worries me that I might not get access to profiles because of it. I have been looking forward to them for a LONG time...

Could anyone who is seeing the profiles tell me what version of the app you have? I think I am on 2.13 right now.

FYC

Banned
Cop Land

WrEq0bl.jpg

Holy shit this movie is fucking awesome! If you like crime / cop drama movies it's a must.

Top Bottom