• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

sladeums

I have a thing for depressing / sad movies and I could use some recommendations. They don't have to be on netflix, by the way.

a few

Streaming:
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father
Red White & Blue
Blue Valentine
Fish Tank
Nobody Knows

Not:
Mysterious Skin
All or Nothing
Happiness
Seven Days

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Recommend this doc, if you are in anyway interested in one of the masters of stop motion creatures.

Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan (Documentary, Biographical)

Also it has a Half-life 3 shirt in it.
Stupid Half-life 3 t-shirt.

sol_bad

I have a thing for depressing / sad movies and I could use some recommendations. They don't have to be on netflix, by the way.

I personally would recommend Brothers.

*EDIT*
Question.
I'm from Australia and use Unblock Us to use Netflix.
I can add movies and shows to my list on the American Netflix but not on the Canadian Netflix. Does anyone know why this might be?

Addnan

I personally would recommend Brothers.

*EDIT*
Question.
I'm from Australia and use Unblock Us to use Netflix.
I can add movies and shows to my list on the American Netflix but not on the Canadian Netflix. Does anyone know why this might be?

Lists break when you try to use it in a region that you didn't buy netflix for. That's at least what I found.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Suburbia.
Mosquito coast.
My top two most depressing movies, not sure if either are available for streaming though.

After watching The Shining the other day I was excited to give Room 237 a try and hear some discussion on it as Kubrick films generally fascinate me. But the people in this documentary are absolutely sick. Seriously. They're criminally insane. Could only put up with the nonsense for about 20 minutes before turning it off.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So I'm finally watching Dexter. When does it start going downhill?

Here are what some gaffers said:

Don't go in expecting anything amazing and it is fine.

Season 4 is one of the best. Then it goes on a downward spiral.

Stop at season 4.

Four is good. From there it kind of really goes downhill. You can really only develop Dexter's character so far before it gets silly and they seem to have hit that point around season five.

I would still recommend watching them though, as even a poor Dexter series is still better than most series IMO.

What's wrong with season 6? I thought it was brilliant. (don't forget spoiler tags)

I didn't mind the Doomsday Killer stuff directly, although I did not care for Travis. All of the character development stuff relating Dexter, like the God shit, really felt forced and Debra's whole I want to fuck Dexter thing was really poorly done as well IMO. Finally the last line, Oh God, was incredibly B-level corny for a series that has the quality of writing Dexter has.

Like I said though, even a bad Dexter season is still a good TV season to me. It's just not the quality of the previous ones; which to me were some of my favorite series on TV overall.

Aiii

So not worth it
Under no circumstances finish Dexter, quit after season 4. I don't believe at all in advising people to watch something, but skip certain seasons... But the final season, and esp. the final episode of Dexter has retroactively ruined the entire series for me.

S4 has a good ending, stick with that.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Netflix is testing 4K streaming.

Ask anyone what the largest issue facing 4K video is, and you'll likely be told that it's distribution; bringing the massive files — with four times the resolution of a 1080p video — to viewers' homes is an incredible challenge. Nevertheless, Netflix believes it will be able stream Ultra HD 4K videos to customers by next year, and it's already testing the feature, according to Gigaom. In fact, you can watch Netflix's test footage now, as a number of 4K "movies" have hit the service for internal checks on 4K performance. It's worth noting that the movies are all made up of test footage, and 4K quality isn't an option yet for subscribers.

Netflix hasn't kept its interest in streaming 4K video directly to subscribers' homes a secret. CPO Neil Hunt told The Verge this spring that "we expect to be delivering 4K within a year or two with at least some movies and then over time become an important source of 4K," and CEO Reed Hastings said on a recent earnings call that "we want to be one of the big suppliers of 4K next year." The company also teamed up with Samsung to demonstrate live 4K streaming at CES this past January. While it's unclear if Netflix will be able to meet its goal of a 2014 launch, it looks like there will be some good content once it does arrive: the company's very own House of Cards will be among some of the first video on the site offered in 4K.

Mr.Swag

Banned
With Dexter I stopped at season 4 because 5 hadn't aired yet, and I thought it wa a good place to stop. But then reviews of 5 came out, and I was really glad I stopped when I did.

Kaladin

You know what I don't get? Netflix streaming is about 2GB per hour in regular HD. Yet, it doesn't look any better than a 350MB file you can download online as a TV rip.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
My bandwidth cap isn't ready for 4k streaming.

Would much rather have them focus on improving the bitrate/audio of 1080p content first, then they can do 4K.

With the lack of 4K content, they just want to be the go-to source. When you have a shiny new 4K tv, you will want 4K stuff and will pay to do it. Smart move on their behalf, but yeah, I would rather them focus on improving HD (1080p) across the regions.

Aiii

So not worth it
You know what I don't get? Netflix streaming is about 2GB per hour in regular HD. Yet, it doesn't look any better than a 350MB file you can download online as a TV rip.

Must be your connection, Super HD looks perfectly fine here, a step above 720p rips. Sure, they're not 1080p blu-ray quality, but good enough for me.

That Mick Foley doc is really good, almost as good as the CM Punk one. I was gonna go somewhere last night, but I was just glued to the screen watching it and ended up watching the whole thing. Highly rec'd for wrassle fans (even though I'm months late on this one)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Blancanieves (Drama, Foreign)
Flight (Drama)
Olympus Has Fallen (Action, Thriller)
Slightly Single in L.A. (Indie, Romantic, Comedy)
The English Teacher (Indie, Romantic, Comedy)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I don't really have any interest in Olympus Has Fallen, but having it up for streaming already seems like a really fast turnaround from theatres. I hope that's a sign of things to come, although I don't really ever expect it to be the norm.

Emwitus

Omgosh!!!!!!!!

Chuck chuck chuck chuck chuck chuck chuck!!!!!!!!!!!!

My life is complete!!!

Going into season 5 a virgin.

Fuck you nbc

Fjordson

After watching The Shining the other day I was excited to give Room 237 a try and hear some discussion on it as Kubrick films generally fascinate me. But the people in this documentary are absolutely sick. Seriously. They're criminally insane. Could only put up with the nonsense for about 20 minutes before turning it off.
Lmao, damn really? I just watched this also. I enjoyed it, though. Some of what they talked about was pretty fascinating. Like whether or not the continuity errors were on purpose, the nonsensical set designs, allusions to american indian history, etc.

Some of the other subjects seemed like big time reaches, though. No way Kubrick fit everything discussed in there into the film, but I guess that's part of what makes Kubrick great. He was so into details and his films are so dense that almost anything is fair game when analyzing his work.

Kaladin

I actually wanted to see both Olympus Has Fallen and Flight, but was hesitant to rent either and pay for them...glad my hesitation payed off.

Jimothy

It's pretty entertaining viewing it as a meta commentary on people desperately trying find subtext in art that isn't there.

Fjordson

I like that one guy who said The Shining was Kubricks way of showing the world that America didn't land on the moon lol.
Yeah, that was insane lmfao. And the stuff he said towards the end about himself. "I know the government isn't too happy with me and I'm sure they'll be watching me".

I also liked the woman who saw a Minotaur in the skiing poster.

But yeah, some of the other topics they talked about were more interesting and I think they could have had some actual intent behind them from Kubrick.

I think the moment I turned it off was when he the guy pointed out that the moment Ullman shakes Jack's hand the line of the inbox aligns with his groin and it looks like an erection. Uhhhhh rrrrright.

Fjordson

I think the moment I turned it off was when he the guy pointed out that the moment Ullman shakes Jack's hand the line of the inbox aligns with his groin and it looks like an erection. Uhhhhh rrrrright.
Hahaha. That shit was really dumb. The guy commentating was building it up so much so I was expecting something really creepy when they paused it. When he paused it on that I was cracking up.

I would give it another shot, though. It gets better later on.

Top Bottom