• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Of course, since you can trade diamonds for gold you can get anything by playing, even if it can take a long time for most players. 127k diamonds isn't very hard to get though.

I still don't know where (or, more importantly, how) to trade gold for straight up diamonds. Care to point me out in the general direction?

Dec

I still don't know where (or, more importantly, how) to trade gold for straight up diamonds. Care to point me out in the general direction?

Sorry I meant Zen. You can't spend gold on diamonds, it's uses are pretty much limited to potions.

People do trade keys for gold sometimes. Usually like 40-50 gold per key.

Xanathus

Sorry I meant Zen. You can't spend gold on diamonds, it's uses are pretty much limited to potions.

People do trade keys for gold sometimes. Usually like 40-50 gold per key.

I was wondering what the point of gold was, there doesn't seem to be anything major worth purchasing using it aside from the level 20 mount. They don't even sell Scrolls of Identification for gold.

Dec

I was wondering what the point of gold was, there doesn't seem to be anything major worth purchasing using it aside from the level 20 mount. They don't even sell Scrolls of Identification for gold.

Injury kits and potions. Potions do get expensive in the end game. I don't know the exact number but I think it's like 5g for 20 potions. It still feels like a pointless currency, but I think it's mostly just people thinking gold is a main currency when it isn't.

Diamonds are the "gold" of this game. Gold may as well be called potion bucks.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yesterday, for some reason, the "Find a Group" automatic thing was broken for this level 30 dungeon (I guess it's been broken for a week?), so it would put you in an instance that had no enemies, no quest givers, anything.

However, you could run through the entire instance and grab all the chests and all the profession caches without anybody to bother you.

I ended up doing that for two hours. Got a couple blues out of it, and lots of gems to upgrade my Artifact. All while listening to a podcast. Not that bad, I don't think.

On another note, I don't know how this game deals with servers, all I know is that I never got asked to chose a server when making my character, and all my friends are on the same server, but I can't seem to find the GAF guild on the Social menu. Am I missing anything?

Dec

Yesterday, for some reason, the "Find a Group" automatic thing was broken for this level 30 dungeon (I guess it's been broken for a week?), so it would put you in an instance that had no enemies, no quest givers, anything.

However, you could run through the entire instance and grab all the chests and all the profession caches without anybody to bother you.

I ended up doing that for two hours. Got a couple blues out of it, and lots of gems to upgrade my Artifact. All while listening to a podcast. Not that bad, I don't think.

On another note, I don't know how this game deals with servers, all I know is that I never got asked to chose a server when making my character, and all my friends are on the same server, but I can't seem to find the GAF guild on the Social menu. Am I missing anything?

There were 3 servers at launch but it was always their intent to combine them. They had to change a bunch of systems to work but now there is only one server with each zone having instances.

I'm not sure why you can't find the guild. Maintenance seems to be going on now so I can't check if it shows for me.

Edit: Ya I can't find the guild through a search either. I can't even find myself through searching. Seemed to work for other people. I'm really not sure why, but you can't join the guild that way anyway, need to be invited.

JesseZao

So anyone actually enjoy the sword coast adventures in the browser gateway? I only have one companion and the rewards are pretty pitiful so far. There's nothing intriguing about dice rolling. Quite lame if that's all it is. Something with puzzles or even simulated turn-based battles would've been much better.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So anyone actually enjoy the sword coast adventures in the browser gateway? I only have one companion and the rewards are pretty pitiful so far. There's nothing intriguing about dice rolling. Quite lame if that's all it is. Something with puzzles or even simulated turn-based battles would've been much better.

It takes too long. The dice rolling animation is bad and takes a while.

I wish they would just roll the dice for a second on the bottom bar and that be it.

Dec

I like it. Good way to level up companions while I watch dota or something. Doing the christmas missions gives the currency needed to get skins from it so that's useful.

It reminds me of Elder Sign.

This is an aptly named thread!

I'm late to this party because I basically swore off MMOs after playing 2 characters in WoW up to level 40ish and was let down by every other MMO I tried after that (SWTOR for instance). My buddy convinced me to give this a go and I'm kinda blown away by it. The arcade-ish combat makes a world of difference and this finally feels like the 3D version of Diablo I had hoped WoW would be. After putting in a few hours and deciding that I'm likely going to be playing this one for a while I went ahead and made it comfy couch compatible last night, and I wanted to share in case others might want to do the same thing.

I'm using a Logitech G700 wireless gaming mouse which gives me about 13 buttons:
205156.jpg

It's a great mouse, although I wish it had better range or less interference. I'm about 12-15 feet from my computer and it works great as long as I move my computer desk chair out from between me (in my living room area) and my computer.

Now the cool part. Instead of teeter tottering a keyboard on my knee or using a TV tray, I decided to use a controller that wasn't doing much other than collecting dust. The PlayStation Navigation controller:
nav1.jpg

This beautiful device uses bluetooth, which you can use to sync it to your computer with the XInput Wrapper for DS3. Now, one caveat is that you will need a dedicated Bluetooth dongle for this. No other Bluetooth device can use it. There's a list of compatible devices at that link. Luckily I had previously purchased a TRENDnet Micro Bluetooth USB Adapter (TBW-106UB) a while back since my built in Bluetooth adapter was not supported for this sort of thing. One I got XInput functioning with the Nav controller (you can test it in Steam: Hitting the PS Button should switch to Big Picture Mode if you have your library page selected) it was time to map the Neverwinter key binds I wanted to it.

For this I used the free program Joy2Key. It's pretty barebones but it gets the job done. You'll need to select the "Others" tab in JoyToKey and check mark "Use Axes other than X and Y." and "Use POV switches." Also, I suggest setting "Threshold for input (Useful for analog devices)" somewhere between 20 and 50% (I'm still experimenting a little bit). Once you've done that go back to the Joysticks Tab and then click "Create" to make your first controller map. Here is what each item corresponds to on the PS Nav controller:

AxisX(<0), AxisX(>0), AxisY(<0), AxisY(>0) : Analog stick (left, right, up, down respectively)
Axis3(>0) : Trigger
POV1:UP, POV1:RIGHT, POV1DOWN, POV1LEFT : This is the DPAD
Button 1 : X Button
Button 2 : O Button
Button 5 : Bumper
Button 9 : Analog Stick Button (Click Down)

Leave everything else on "Disabled"

You'll still want a wireless keyboard handy if you need to do text chat. I just keep my little living room Logitech K400 in arms reach:
61lm2T%2B19KL._SX385_.jpg

Hopefully that inspires someone to do the same. It really is great, and I can't wait to try out some other PC titles this way as well.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey Declarius. I sent you a PM in game (reen@drizzleone) asking for a guild invite.

When/if you can, I'd be glad if I got an invite... I kinda want to see what's the special guild areas are... :D

Thanks in advance.

Dec

Hey Declarius. I sent you a PM in game (reen@drizzleone) asking for a guild invite.

When/if you can, I'd be glad if I got an invite... I kinda want to see what's the special guild areas are... :D

Thanks in advance.

Which guild areas do you mean? Just Gauntlgrym or is there something else I missed?

Walshicus

Not sure if you guys are interested, but we've got a NeoGAF chat channel in Star Trek Online that could also be accessed in Neverwinter.

I think if you type in "/join_channel GAFleet" (or maybe just "/joinchannel GAFleet") without the quotes of course, you should be able to see it.

Dec

Not sure if you guys are interested, but we've got a NeoGAF chat channel in Star Trek Online that could also be accessed in Neverwinter.

I think if you type in "/join_channel GAFleet" (or maybe just "/joinchannel GAFleet") without the quotes of course, you should be able to see it.

Are people active in it? I joined it a few months back but I can't say I remember seeing anyone talk in it.

Also, I realized a couple weeks back that you can change the fov in Neverwinter. It gets really strange if you go too high, but I found a happy medium and it honestly has made me enjoy the game a lot more. I'll edit with the value and command line in a minute.

Edit: /gfxsetdefaultfov 70 is what I use. Default is 55. You can also supersample with /renderscale. /renderscale 2 = double your native res. 1.25 or 1.5 is an improvement without destroying your fps too bad.

Wiktor

I must admit after putting like 40 hours into this game early on I dropped out. Did the community step up their game adventure creation wise? Are there any good modules that aren't about just killing everything, but are more regular RPGs-like?

Dec

The next module seems to be The Curse of Icewind Dale.

There is an anagram no one has figured out here: http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/3035953

But a German youtube account pretty much ruined the surprise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahct7XV_exY

Official announcement out:

Icewind Dale

This iconic region has been recreated in Neverwinter, after being the primary location of multiple R.A. Salvatore novels, as well as multiple other video games.

Caer-Konig

This new zone is a smal fishing town in Icewind Dale, a staging point for those seeking black ice, and the neutral ground in the growing conflict between the Ten-Towners and Arcane Brotherhood. It will serve as the main social hub for all Icewind Dale activities.

Icewind Pass

This treacherous pass is one of the two new zones that will offer both PvP and PvE content to players.

Dwarven Valley

This expansive valley is the second of the two new zones that will offer both PvP and PvE content to players.

Kessell's Retreat

Akar Kessel has returned and has fortified himself in a location high within Kelvin's Cairn, the mountain peak that overlooks all of Icewind Dale.

Black Ice - Lore

Black Ice is a new, extremely valuable resource, that players will be harvesting and fighting over within Icewind Dale. However, it has a dark history.

Black Ice - Harvesting

Black Ice is a new, extremely valuable resource that players will be harvesting and fighting over within Icewind Dale.

Black Ice - Shaping

With this new resource at hand, players will be utilizing a new profession in order to craft spectacular gear.

Black Ice - Gear

Unlike gear of old, Black Ice Gear will have unique properties that allow players to greatly increase their stats bonus, but only temporarily.

PvP Leaderboards & Matchmaking

The matchmaking system has undergone extensive revisions, and will now feature leaderboards so that you can climb the ranks to the most elite combatants in Neverwinter.

PvP Campaign

For the first time ever, Neverwinter will feature a PvP Campaign, which will have daily quests focused on slaying other players, or navigating through dangerous PvP areas for resources.

PvE Campaign

Explore the region with the Icewind Dale campaign by completing new repeatable quests, earning boons, and receiving gifts from the grateful people of Caer-Konig.

New Enemies

As with every update, there will be a new array of enemies to battle, which will require new combat strategies to defeat efficiently. This includes yeti, crag cats, dire bears, the corrupted Hammerstone Clan of dwarves, and the savage Bear Tribe of the Reghed Barbarians.

New Bosses

Along with Akar Kessell, players face the deadly black ice-corrupted beholder, undead giants, and the deadly remorhaz.

Heroic Encounters

Discover new quest encounters that appear as you adventure through Icewind Dale. They range in difficulty from minor encounters for 2 &#8211; 3 players to epic battles for a dozen or more!

Mercenary Contracts

There are two new factions being introduced that will serve as the basis of the conflict over Black Ice in Icewind Dale: the local council of Ten-Towners capitalizing on the black ice trade to grow their wealth, and the Arcane Brotherhood who seeks to unlock the mysteries behind the black ice. Each offer temporary contracts to adventurers to further their goals in Icewind Dale.

Arcane Brotherhood

An organization of wizards from Luskan, the Arcane Brotherhood seeks to harvest Black Ice under the claims of academic pursuit.

Ten-Towners

Having already fought off Akar Kessel's army once, the Ten-Towners now try to retain their grasp on the region by using the power of Black Ice.

Hunter Ranger Paragon Path

To join the other classes, the Hunter Ranger will now have a new Paragon Path called the Pathfinder.

Itemization Changes

There will be many changes to items from levels 1 - 60, to make item progression more fun and interesting.

Post-60 Advancement

Once you hit 60, XP that you accumulate will start to provide you with rewards, rather than be lost in a void.

Dungeon Keys

We will be adding dungeons keys to go along with the time-based dungeon delve events, to allow for dungeon delving at your leisure.

lunchtoast

Started playing 2 weeks ago. Level 31 Hunter Ranger and enjoying it. Really digging the third person combat. Told some co workers about it and they're going to try it out, mostly because it's free. They also liked the skill tree. "That's what WoW used to look like."

There's only 1 server now right? Searched for the gaf guild and didn't see it.

Dec

Started playing 2 weeks ago. Level 31 Hunter Ranger and enjoying it. Really digging the third person combat. Told some co workers about it and they're going to try it out, mostly because it's free. They also liked the skill tree. "That's what WoW used to look like."

There's only 1 server now right? Searched for the gaf guild and didn't see it.

All the servers were merged into one, ya. There's just a ton of instances of every place.

I'm sure no one is online, maybe why nothing shows. Leave your @ handle here and I'll add you, and invite you when I see you online if that works.

I'm @declarius.

lunchtoast

All the servers were merged into one, ya. There's just a ton of instances of every place.

I'm sure no one is online, maybe why nothing shows. Leave your @ handle here and I'll add you, and invite you when I see you online if that works.

I'm @declarius.

Thanks, sent you friend request.

@grimdango

Dec

The guild search does seem strange. Seaching "gaf" doesn't work, but capitalizing it, "GAF" makes it show up.

Also, I didn't get a friend invite so I'm not sure what's up with that. I've sent you one.

lunchtoast

The guild search does seem strange. Seaching "gaf" doesn't work, but capitalizing it, "GAF" makes it show up.

Also, I didn't get a friend invite so I'm not sure what's up with that. I've sent you one.

I sent it through arc. I really don't know how names work in game. I tried @declarious but nothing came up.

Ploid 3.0

They are very stingy with free respecs after a big change to classes. I almost want to start my ranger over but that would take too long, and I don't have the AD to respec + I'd want to save those anyway. The game is very strict bah.

Dec

They are very stingy with free respecs after a big change to classes. I almost want to start my ranger over but that would take too long, and I don't have the AD to respec + I'd want to save those anyway. The game is very strict bah.

They really didn't give a free respec to rangers? They gave one to all classes when they got their new paths or whatever so I assumed they would do the same for Rangers now that they have more than one choice.

Ploid 3.0

They really didn't give a free respec to rangers? They gave one to all classes when they got their new paths or whatever so I assumed they would do the same for Rangers now that they have more than one choice.

Nope. I tried finding out if it will be later, it seem like it may not happen.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...Paragon-Path&p=7895581&viewfull=1#post7895581

"No, there's no free respec."

I stand corrected. The cheaper feat respec won't let you become a pathfinder. I had forgotten that fact.

So your choices to play a pathfinder are as follows:

Open your wallet.

Grind AD.

Roll a new character.

Only one of those options gets you into Icewind dale with the new paragon path today unless you already had enough AD saved to respec with worst-case-possible AD/Zen ratios.

I sincerely apologize if I led anyone to believe there was a cheaper way to do it.

Looks like I'm benching HR for a bit, was fun. I would have liked to use that other paragon path. Seemed interesting.

Dec

Nope. I tried finding out if it will be later, it seem like it may not happen.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...Paragon-Path&p=7895581&viewfull=1#post7895581

"No, there's no free respec."

Looks like I'm benching HR for a bit, was fun. I would have liked to use that other paragon path. Seemed interesting.

No explanation for that. Just greed or an oversight. They listen to feedback once in a while so hopefully they offer one in the future at some point.

I actually have not logged in to try Icewind yet, which kind of sucks because it is a daily limited progress thing once again so I'm behind.

JesseZao

I sorta kept up with this game through the browser professions, but then I notices like a month ago that there was no longer any Zen available in the market. Googled and checked posts here to see why. Guess I'll be ignoring my bookmark for the time being. Is the game itself suffering as well?

Dec

I sorta kept up with this game through the browser professions, but then I notices like a month ago that there was no longer any Zen available in the market. Googled and checked posts here to see why. Guess I'll be ignoring my bookmark for the time being. Is the game itself suffering as well?

I still haven't logged in to try the new module so not sure. The game was fine 3 or so months ago when I last played. Forums seem decently active.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
me and Dec will bring this game alive again. one of the best combat in an mmo :D plus new module coming march 17th

Ashodin

OK I've been playing the hell out of this again with my fiancee. We're near level 20 and I've been researching the new update due out next month. My class GWF is getting buffed all to hell. Hell yes!

Dec

I think I will be trying to get my guardian to 60 during this double xp.

Does anyone need an invite to the guild?

Ashodin

I really hope Oathbound Paladin makes queues a lot easier on folk. Being a tank/healer class should make things really fun!

Dec

Is there endgame content like raids? Even remotely difficult?

There is a 25 man raid and many 5 man dungeons, plus level 60 difficulties of all the dungeons you encounter while leveling.

Just about everything is gated by gear score (you can't queue for X if your gearscore isn't Y+)

There are 4 zones or so added since launch that have "campaigns" connected to them. They are basically zones full of dailies that eventually start rewarding sets of gear, access to new dungeons/raid and permanent passive abilities.

The campaigns, if I can remember them all, are.

Sharandar, all pve content.

Icewind Dale, pve and open world pvp (you pick one of two factions to help during the intro to the campaign and there are designated pvp areas of the zone where members of opposing factions can fight)

Tryanny of Dragons, pve, dragon spawns every 20~ mins (you may have encountered them already in lower level zones, like the green dragon in the cemetary around level 28). There is another component where you are retrieving gold back from Tiamat's followers and putting it towards a pile that is used when Tiamat himself spawns, I THINK when Tiamat spawns a portal is opened to the raid, and the gold you gathered beforehand may help in some way. I have not really played this campaign.

And the PVP campaign, which is is basically a tree that unlocks as you complete pvp missions, icewind dale pvp missions and Gauntlgrym missions.

Which is another whole thing. Gauntlgrym is a pvp zone that is open a few times a day along the vein of Alterac Valley or something. You must be in a guild to participate and guild leaders have chosen what faction (of 2) that the guild is aligned with. The two factions fight and there is basically two ways to particpate in it.

You can do the pve part, where you kill enemies and build stuff like catapults, or earn a fire giants favor so he fights with your side. While you are doing this, other people can queue for pvp matches against the other faction players. Depending on what you accomplish outside their match, you can give them benefits in the pvp match.

Top Bottom