• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

xenist

Well it is pretty annoying and only serves as a way to hinder players. Not knowing if you should roll on loot is pretty bad.

I roll need for items specific to the class I'm playing. Greed for common items. Pass on everything else. Didn't have a single complaint so far.

Wiktor

Wildstar.

Yep. Everytime I've seen or played this game it left me with awe.

Anyway, I hope Cryptic will introduce GameMaster mode in the future. It would also be cool to see some of the great PnP campaigns translated into Neverwinter content and sold as DLC.

Syrionus

Neo Member
Yep. Everytime I've seen or played this game it left me with awe.

Anyway, I hope Cryptic will introduce GameMaster mode in the future. It would also be cool to see some of the great PnP campaigns translated into Neverwinter content and sold as DLC.

Is this a real thing or just a wishlist?

LordAlu

I've been very much enjoying this game, however I've now run into the "Too many attempts; please try again later" error so it looks like I won't be playing for a while. From all accounts it appears to be an IP issue, where the login server is seeing my IP and instantly blocking all login attempts from it. Supposedly Cryptic are "aware of the issue but don't know what's causing it".

:,(

Dec

I've been very much enjoying this game, however I've now run into the "Too many attempts; please try again later" error so it looks like I won't be playing for a while. From all accounts it appears to be an IP issue, where the login server is seeing my IP and instantly blocking all login attempts from it. Supposedly Cryptic are "aware of the issue but don't know what's causing it".

:,(

Haven't heard of that one yet, hope they figure it out. That's actually the second "you people affected can't even play the game until we fix this" bugs I've seen this week.

xenist

I'm close to 60 on my wizard now and I figured out why I stuck with this, solid core mechanics excluded. It's the setting. Fighting duergar, driders and pit fiends is inherently more interesting to me than fighting their non brand counterparts. Questing in the Underdark in a Drow outpost is more pleasing than questing in some subterranean city somewhere. My mind fills all kinds of blanks with lore from all the D&D I've played in my life.

Ezio

Hit 54 on my DC last night, getting pretty close now. I find that I actually may have been doing too much PVP/dungeons as I'm skipping areas because the quests are so much lower level then me.

Dunlop

Hit 54 on my DC last night, getting pretty close now. I find that I actually may have been doing too much PVP/dungeons as I'm skipping areas because the quests are so much lower level then me.

I had the opposite problem (DC also), I always seemed to be 2 levels below the zone I was in.

I wouldn't rush to 60. I absolutely loved the leveling experience but this MMO has the absolute worst "end game" I have seen in a MMO

Started a Rogue, but the other problem is the game is extremely linear. The leveling experience is exactly the same. Like the rogue mechanics though

Definitely for my $60 worth but I will almost certainly move over to Rift

Ezio

Yeah I may do some end-game type stuff, but I'm excited to level a rogue next. I also hear the new classes are coming soon, so a ranger-type class would be great as well.

My divine Cleric's an unkillable beast since he hit 50 a few days ago. In my last dungeon I practically took the same amount of damage as our guardian and didn't die once. I'm 58 now so it will be interesting to see what the endgame has to offer.

I'm close to 60 on my wizard now and I figured out why I stuck with this, solid core mechanics excluded. It's the setting. Fighting duergar, driders and pit fiends is inherently more interesting to me than fighting their non brand counterparts. Questing in the Underdark in a Drow outpost is more pleasing than questing in some subterranean city somewhere. My mind fills all kinds of blanks with lore from all the D&D I've played in my life.

This so much. I have played countless fantasy MMOs, and these generic worlds along with the "kill 20 wolves for 4 wolf pies" type quests got me really burned out. Then this game, with quests lines that start you out on real adventures with fun plot advancement in a familiar setting just felt so right. DDO by Turbine kinda scratched the itch, the combat was great, but the setting, although an officially supported campaign setting, just feels so alien to me. Forgotten Realms is what I read and grew up with. I know turbine's game got forgotten realms content but you have to be at like level 60 or something and my pace is very slow in that game. Neverwinter has what feels like questlines that are fast, fun, and familiar (as far as setting, names and races).

Yoda

You've been able to dupe astral diamonds since closed beta. Due to the way endgame gear works (anyone can roll and sell), I think the game is broken for a long time. Until inflation kills the massive inequality created by duping (game will be as dead as STO by then) then this game isn't worth playing.

Really sad because out of all the F2Ps I've bothered trying, the combat system here seemed decently polished. I also like the concept of the Forge.

I have a lvl 57 Devoted Cleric. How do you evaluate gear? Do you always equip the recommended gear or do you actually pick and choose what you want based on stats? I've always based it on power and defense, but I'm actually thinking that's not what I should be doing. Some recommended gear will have high stats for regeneration, deflection and/or movement, but the gear it will replace has much higher power and/or defense.

Ezio

I have a lvl 57 Devoted Cleric. How do you evaluate gear? Do you always equip the recommended gear or do you actually pick and choose what you want based on stats? I've always based it on power and defense, but I'm actually thinking that's not what I should be doing. Some recommended gear will have high stats for regeneration, deflection and/or movement, but the gear it will replace has much higher power and/or defense.

I'm almost 56 on my DC and I go in this order: Power --> Recovery --> Crit

Not sure if I'm right or wrong but it's worked out so far for me, although I haven't reached end game yet, so I may be totally off. I'm probably going to have to re-spec to as my points are kind of all over the place. Should hopefully hit 60 this week, at least that's my plan. My wife may have other plans however.

Dec

This is a crudely made comparison of stats

i6eki6mTHPofh.png

To help make sense of it, the stats are at the top, the first column is how much of the stat you have, the second column is how much that translates into percent (percent chance to crit etc.) and the third column is how many points you have to gain to get 1% of that skills.

There are diminishing returns, meaning eventually you'd need so much base crit on gear to get 1% actual crit, that you're better off stopping at a certain point and getting the next best thing (crit is just an example). Crit stops becoming a good thing to get around 3.1k.

Also credit to Kripparian for the graph.

Obviously this is different than what you're asking, and only is accurate at 80, but it's useful to know.

Dec

Game is fully launching on June 20th. New zone, Gauntlgrym, ancient Dwarven city from the books coming with it.

First expansion coming in the summer.

Dec

Awesome, updated the OP.

Very large patch to kick off full launch here.

The most important changes.

Threat from Healing is now spread across enemies in an encounter, generating less for each enemy in the encounter.
Companions now deal much greater damage to enemies with significantly higher level than their Rank, but a close level to their owner.
Players must now participate in a PvP match to qualify for its rewards.
The "Need" button is now disabled for items your class cannot use.

Ferny

Fashion items now display properly in end-of-quest chests.
The "Need" button is now disabled for items your class cannot use.
The rewards from end-of-dungeon chests now properly display in the chest UI.
Woo
Edit: Ahh got beat lol

Tash

The AS change will ask for a lot of rethinking and changes in my and every DC's build.
I guess it's good they try to counter the cookiecutter builds but so far I don't see anything that would merit all the nerfs to DC. Some fixes were obviously needed (stacking of AS which I never really encountered since I am pugging and pretty much always the only cleric).

I fear that with the nerf to the AS uptime and lack of other healing options new non T2 geared DC and pugs will have a huge problem going into the high end content.

Also, aggro is still suck. Even with sooth I am still getting half of the mobs during a fight. Again, that's talking about pugs though..

Walshicus

Interesting stuff. Seems like it'll keep becoming cheaper for the grinders to purchase Zen with their diamonds?

Looks like it's jumped up a few points over the last few days:

It's probably going to be quite hard to predict which direction the rate will go in the near future - the amount of trading through the exchange is pretty low compared to Star Trek Online and it doesn't take many purchases to shift one way or the other.

Everyone just stop playing?

I am having a blast leveling up my rogue. Level 55 now. I've read that the end game is boring and the market is broke but something about it keeps me interested. I will probably migrate to a different game after a couple weeks at level 60.

Anyways if you all are on send me a tell.

naturalhigh213
Mindflayer

Dunlop

I am having a blast leveling up my rogue. Level 55 now. I've read that the end game is boring and the market is broke but something about it keeps me interested. I will probably migrate to a different game after a couple weeks at level 60.

naturalhigh213
Mindflayer

I did,

I had a blast leveling my Cleric and the complete lack of an engame killed it for me.

Ran a dungeon for like an hour only to be dropped at the boss. The I realized I could just buy all the gear as everything was BOE (which also turns all PUGS into shitheads who will roll on gear you need)

Kinda lost the motication

Dec

naturalhigh213
Mindflayer

I'll probably hop on later today. I did want to check out the new zone and stuff.

Still playing, the game's format is great for more casual play. I only get an hour each night for gaming, so I can usually hop on, get my diamonds/exp from prayer, do some quests and run a dungeon (if I get lucky on queue times), then hop off. Being able to tradeskill when away is pretty spiffy.

Dec

How is the PvP post-launch? I might try this even if the endgame is lackluster if the PvP is reasonably fun/balanced.

Haven't played since beta but I know they have made some good changes. The new map was based largely around PVP, and there was some balancing done to deter people afking in safe spots to get Glory.

At the very least there have been improvements. I'm a pvp guy, and there wasn't much of it before. Hopefully the new map is good.

Ricker

Still playing, the game's format is great for more casual play. I only get an hour each night for gaming, so I can usually hop on, get my diamonds/exp from prayer, do some quests and run a dungeon (if I get lucky on queue times), then hop off. Being able to tradeskill when away is pretty spiffy.

Same here,I hop on once in a while and play for about 1 or 2 hours with my Rogue...I am online like 2 or 3 days out of 7 during the summer....level 38 now,a lot of the quests are getting kinda hard solo now,lots of potion drinking hehe...and I wiped 3 times on that Dragon instance quest you get around level 38...Idris I think it's called...first hard section in the game.

The pack does come with some other things. People on Reddit believe it is a pretty good value but I am not investing money in this game until they do something to increase it's longevity.

Still though I am having a blast with the game. Did my first tier 2 dungeon as a rogue the other night. My gear is a little lacking and we were on the Pirate King. We wiped a couple of times trying different strategies when we decided to use me to solo the boss while everyone else focused on adds. I made it about halfway through his hp the first time but I had no potions and was still injured so I went down. I reassured the PUG that I could handle it and they gave me some pots and we went in again. I was off to the side rolling and using my CC skills and stealth. It took a while since I wasn't geared to the teeth but I got him down. During the fight there were many close calls but it was a lot of fun.

There is still some time left in this game for me and I wish more people on GAF would give it a go.

Dec

The pack does come with some other things. People on Reddit believe it is a pretty good value but I am not investing money in this game until they do something to increase it's longevity.

Still though I am having a blast with the game. Did my first tier 2 dungeon as a rogue the other night. My gear is a little lacking and we were on the Pirate King. We wiped a couple of times trying different strategies when we decided to use me to solo the boss while everyone else focused on adds. I made it about halfway through his hp the first time but I had no potions and was still injured so I went down. I reassured the PUG that I could handle it and they gave me some pots and we went in again. I was off to the side rolling and using my CC skills and stealth. It took a while since I wasn't geared to the teeth but I got him down. During the fight there were many close calls but it was a lot of fun.

There is still some time left in this game for me and I wish more people on GAF would give it a go.

A lot of people gave it a go but there just wasn't enough content to hold them. I prefer PvP and until recently there were only 2-3 maps and one game mode. That and my account was banned for over a week the second week after launch due to a mix up with support. When I got it back I had moved on unfortunately.

Top Bottom