• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neverwinter |OT| Not the MMO you've been waiting for

swen

Neo Member
Anyone still playing this? Did they introduce new content? Raids maybe?

Reached max level and stopped playing due to lack of end-game stuff to do.

Dec

Anyone still playing this? Did they introduce new content? Raids maybe?

Reached max level and stopped playing due to lack of end-game stuff to do.

New zone comes out this week or next week. Adds a new zone. I honestly don't know much else about it though.

Been thinking about loading it up but been busy with other games.

Expansion is out as of a few hours ago. Going to hop on to check it out.

Edit2: New zone is quite fun if you enjoyed that fire zone a couple years back in WoW.

Have one area open at the start, go in, do a bunch of dailies, get a few special currencies, use them to buy gear from vendors there. You can use the currencies to further your story regarding the elves to unlock new areas with more dailies and permanent boosts that are pretty interesting.

Only took like 30-60 minutes to do everything the first day, now have to wait until tomorrow to continue.

There's a bit more going on than that, but that's the basic idea. Since your rewards are gated by time (doing dailies every day), getting in now, at the start will make sure you get to the best stuff as soon as possible. Since it doesn't take long I'll for sure hop on every day for an hour. The combat alone is fun enough to make that worth my time.

Dec

Summer Festival is live for 3 weeks or so. It's a small area filled with regularly occurring events that reward summer flower petals which can be turned in for chest piece town clothes, cosmetic weapon skins for all types, a pig companion, and a pig or boar mount. Seems like logging in every day and doing 1 of each event for the daily should get you pretty far.

There is a new crafting trade specifically for the event which will go away when the event ends, you can craft buffing foods and the rest of the town clothes set. Doesn't take long to max, then once you've crafted everything you want you can just craft petals for the rest of the event.

It's by no means substantial content, just something to do for neat rewards.

Walshicus

Will give it a whirl!

Oh, was going to mention that since cryptic games have cross-title chat... We have a channel called GAFleet on Star Trek Online that gaffers in NW could join. No password.

Dec

Will give it a whirl!

Oh, was going to mention that since cryptic games have cross-title chat... We have a channel called GAFleet on Star Trek Online that gaffers in NW could join. No password.

Great, I've been playing quite a lot for the past week so I'll for sure be in there tomorrow.

If anyone is unclear how the new expansion works I'd be happy to explain just let me know. The edit above was after the first day, I've since figured out the more complicated system behind the progression that can be a bit confusing. There is a bit of choice in what you get for your effort.

Edit: Summer clothes:

ihFWgkI71BOPr.png

Dec

Hunter Ranger announced finally!

The challenge for Cryptic was building a class that didn't just feel like a ranged version of the Trickster Rogue, one of the five launch classes. The solution was found in the Hunter Ranger's hybrid nature; by pressing Tab, players can swap between their hero's long bow and dual blades. Each of their At-Will and Encounter powers have two implementations, based on which weapon the Hunter has equipped — moreover, those twin powers are on different cooldowns. In order to be effective, the Hunter has to swap between the two styles constantly in battle, darting in and out of the fray as they pick off their foes.

Mobility is a more tactical concern for the Ranger, as you might imagine, a factor Cryptic has built into the class' Shift ability. Like all classes, the Ranger has a defensive maneuver assigned to the Shift key, but it's a much, much shorter dash than the other classes can use. However, using the Ranger's dash drains far less Stamina, letting them use their short dash more times in a row. It's a bit more taxing on the player, forcing them to tap repeatedly to get where they're going; but it gives them more options when moving around the battlefield.

The Control Wizard, for example, will receive the Master of Flame path, unlocking a suite of new powers built around fiery AoE attacks. The Devoted Cleric will get the Anointed Champion path, giving them a set of group buffs. In an interesting twist, the Great Weapon Fighter and Guardian Fighter will gain access to each other's Paragon paths following the module's release — meaning both classes can choose from the Swordmaster and Iron Vanguard Paragon options.

Players will also have access to a new equipment slot for Artifacts — rare items that can level up alongside the player. These items appear in the hotbar, bestowing powerful stat-boosting buffs and granting special abilities. During the demo, one such Artifact could be clicked to blast enemies with a wave of holy light; but Velasquez explained that other artifacts could teleport the player from zone to zone, summon a shopkeeper or serve other non-combat functions.

Shadowmantle will also add a new high-level area for players to explore; a keep settled in the skeleton of a massive black dragon, called Dread Ring. The area contains narrative content that will tie up some of the loose ends introduced in the core game and its August expansion, Fury of the Feywild. That story will be told through new quests, new instanced content and a new dungeon.

Before the end of the year.

Archive for livestream showing the class.

Dec

Shadowmantle expansion is live as of an hour or so ago.

Character slots are 33% off if you need a slot for a hunter ranger. I haven't checked but if they are still the same price they would be $3.34 for two character slots I believe.

Dec

What's new with it? More grind fest and gated content?

-Hunter Ranger playable class: This new class is deadly from afar and has incredible damage capabilities up close as well. Log in and play as one now!
-Hunter Ranger Boost Pack: This pack is now available for purchase in the Zen Market. Get a head start on your new Hunter Ranger!
-Dread Ring Campaign: Enter the Dread Ring and encounter new foes. If you survive, you'll be able to face Valindra Shadowmantle herself.
-Active Companion Bonus System: Each active companion will grant bonuses for your character giving you an extra edge in combat!
-Collections System: Track all of your existing loot and hunt for new loot, including missing set items, with this system.
-New Paragon Paths for existing classes: New skills are now available for existing classes! Which path will you choose? Learn more about it here in part one and part two of our Dev Blogs.
-Artifacts System: This new item type is now added to Neverwinter. These items will become permanent fixtures for your character, and will be able to level up and get more powerful as you advance.
-Sword Coast Adventures (coming very soon!): Send companions out to complete tasks to earn rewards and gain companion experience, all through the Neverwinter Gateway!
-Item Progression System: Read more about changes and improvements to the fusing system in Neverwinter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPEAYOZYeqo

This game is on Steam now and I'm thinking of getting back into it. Has the Great Weapon Fighter improved at all? I remember before that a lot of people had a problem with it being too weak at early levels.

Dec

This game is on Steam now and I'm thinking of getting back into it. Has the Great Weapon Fighter improved at all? I remember before that a lot of people had a problem with it being too weak at early levels.

Thanks for the heads up. Switching to Steam version. That steam starter kit is pretty good.

Epic pet and some bonuses for $20, cheaper than the zen market.

And about the gwf. I can't say for certain as I haven't played much in a few months, and only got gwf to maybe level 30. From what I've seen on forums, basically when played to their strengths they can deal good aoe damage, but will almost always be behind control wizards and tricksters in dps given players of similar skill.

The most frustrating part for me is how weak they are leveling up. Their endgame performance doesn't seem bad enough to not level one if you want to play the class, But you have to get past the lacking lower levels.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My brother and I decided to give this a shot.

It's actually pretty fun...I dig the Foundry stuff. I'm only level 16, but I appreciate the combat...It reminds me of TERA and Guild Wars 2, which were some of my favorite MMO's in a while.

That being said, the way dungeons work is odd. Do you really only get rewards from the dungeon if it's on timer? Seems like a weird way of doing it. I guess it encourages you to run different stuff.

Also, I'm playing a Guardian Fighter. Tanking seems really odd in this game. It could be like most MMO's where low level tanks can't really generate enough threat early on, so I'm going to just brush it off until later.

I am curious - how pay to win is the game? From looking around the shop screens, I get the impression that this is sort of like Maple Story in that you can get OK stuff without paying, but to get anything really great, you're going to have to cough up some dough. Yay/nay?

Dec

It's actually pretty fun...I dig the Foundry stuff. I'm only level 16, but I appreciate the combat...It reminds me of TERA and Guild Wars 2, which were some of my favorite MMO's in a while.

That being said, the way dungeons work is odd. Do you really only get rewards from the dungeon if it's on timer? Seems like a weird way of doing it. I guess it encourages you to run different stuff.

Also, I'm playing a Guardian Fighter. Tanking seems really odd in this game. It could be like most MMO's where low level tanks can't really generate enough threat early on, so I'm going to just brush it off until later.

I am curious - how pay to win is the game? From looking around the shop screens, I get the impression that this is sort of like Maple Story in that you can get OK stuff without paying, but to get anything really great, you're going to have to cough up some dough. Yay/nay?

You always get drops from bosses, but if the "Dungeon Delve" event is going on you also get a bonus chest at the end that has a good chance to give a very good for your level item that is for your class. For this hour, it is really easy to find groups. Dungeon Delve applies to all dungeons, doing any dungeon during the event gives a chest.

I haven't played a guardian since beta but it was quite difficult back then even. I guess just be very liberal with your spells, since there is no cost besides cooldown and take the at will that cleaves? Googling up a guide might be a good idea.

This game certainly has some pay to win aspects but not nearly as bad as you're thinking. You can get anything in the game without paying, you can get the best gear in the game without paying, and the people doing the hardest dungeons are making an absolute shit load of money. The way the game is pay to win is that you can spend money to get diamonds, diamonds are the auction house currency, and a lot of dungeon drops are tradable, meaning you can buy sets of gear from the late dungeons and skip a lot of gear progression. However, someone that hasn't necessarily paid money got there through work, got the drop, and sold it to the guy buying with real money.

This means that the guilds and parties doing the hardest dungeons and getting the best gear make tons of diamonds, which can be traded for the currency you buy. This system honestly doesn't affect me at all, but I think it can definitely be classified as pay to win, in the way that you can just pay money for the best gear in the game. But on the other end, they could only buy it because someone that didn't "pay to win" did the work to get it.

Sothpaw

This game is about 10 bazillion times better than ESO btw. Anyway I played the beta a but but was way too busy to play release.

How is the defender warrior class? Decent at soloing?

Dec

Hey guys we have a guild in game. I think me and my wife are the only people that play but if you'd like to get an invite add and message me in game when I'm on @declarius.

Ashodin

When Jira and I played back at launch, The Foundry stuff was some of the most compelling game stuff in the game, and some players' stuff blew away what was originally made by Cryptic. It's nuts.

And about the gwf. I can't say for certain as I haven't played much in a few months, and only got gwf to maybe level 30. From what I've seen on forums, basically when played to their strengths they can deal good aoe damage, but will almost always be behind control wizards and tricksters in dps given players of similar skill.

The most frustrating part for me is how weak they are leveling up. Their endgame performance doesn't seem bad enough to not level one if you want to play the class, But you have to get past the lacking lower levels.

Yeah, that part about being weak while leveling up was a common complaint before. But I see a lot of optimism over them now after this most recent update. There's a topic on the forums discussing it.

This game is about 10 bazillion times better than ESO btw. Anyway I played the beta a but but was way too busy to play release.

How is the defender warrior class? Decent at soloing?

I played a Guardian Fighter up to level 55 and enjoyed most of my time with it. It started out fine; I put out decent damage and could hold aggro well. But the higher I got the harder it became to hold aggro because Cleric's were always pulling it away. And if I got it back it'd hold for maybe a second or two. Enemies also became a pain to fight because of my low damage output since I focused on defense. I never had any issues with soloing up to that point, though. If you balance defense with damage then you should be fine. I was just wanting to make my character be able to survive while holding aggro in groups which is why my focus was on defense.

Dec

Yeah, that part about being weak while leveling up was a common complaint before. But I see a lot of optimism over them now after this most recent update. There's a topic on the forums discussing it.

Seems like they are talking about the new path:

Great Weapon Fighter – Iron Vanguard

Paragon Path focus: Adds additional control options.

At-will: Threatening Rush – Rushes forward and hits with a shield image, marking nearby targets.
Encounter: Frontline Surge – Knocks enemies back with shield images.
Daily: Indomitable Strike – Knocks target into the air and then knocks them away.
Class Feature: Ferocious Reaction – When you drop below 15% health, you regain health while your enemy is damaged for the amount of health gained and you gain a defense buff.
Class Feature: Trample the Fallen – When a foe is controlled, deal additional damage to it.
Class Feature: Enduring Warrior – When you kill an enemy, you regain a percentage of your max health.
Feat: Reinforced Surge – Frontline Surge now leaves targets prone for longer.
Feat: Improved Reaction – Ferocious Reaction now heals you for a percentage of your total health.
Feat: Battle Trample – Trample the Fallen now increases threat and deals damage.

Seems very strong in PVP.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
When Jira and I played back at launch, The Foundry stuff was some of the most compelling game stuff in the game, and some players' stuff blew away what was originally made by Cryptic. It's nuts.

Yeah, this is the stuff I'm really loving. It's very unique and adds a LOT of content to the came from a solo perspective.

Also, I am finding that I love running around with companions. It's not that I don't enjoy the MMO side, but it really gives the game a "solo friendly" vibe and makes it fun to veg in front of. The grinding isn't that bothersome since the combat feels engaging enough to keep me interested. I wish there were single player games that felt like this - the combat, exploration, dungeons, etc.

Ricker

I am still playing this,my CW is level 60,I have the t1 set finally on him,but I still didnt unlock the Malabog castle because our current guild doesn't do it yet but yeah I messaged you a few times a few months back Declarius because I was the only one left in the GAF guild hehe,but got no reply(that with my level 55 Trickster Rogue) so I switched him to my curent guild...game is fun for sure.

Dec

I am still playing this,my CW is level 60,I have the t1 set finally on him,but I still didnt unlock the Malabog castle because our current guild doesn't do it yet but yeah I messaged you a few times a few months back Declarius because I was the only one left in the GAF guild hehe,but got no reply(that with my level 55 Trickster Rogue) so I switched him to my curent guild...game is fun for sure.

I've been playing usually for a couple weeks after the bigger patches.

I was on and I didn't answer? Hmm I must have missed it.

Ricker

I've been playing usually for a couple weeks after the bigger patches.

I was on and I didn't answer? Hmm I must have missed it.

Yeah no problems though you where in one of those epic dungeons,so it's really easy to not watch the chat in those,when the rush starts hehe...

Chuggernaut

Neo Member
After Shadowmantle was released and my characters feats were reset I started looking for build guides. I was able to find what I think are a couple good guides for the Devoed Cleric and Control Wizard. But I can't find anything quite as good for any of the other classes.

What makes me consider these guides good is they seem to be kept up to date, and they talk about how they prefer to play but also mention multiple play styles.

If anyone has any guides like these for any of the classes, please post them.

Devoted Cleric
http://laggygamerz.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17-kaelac’s-guide-to-devoted-cleric-in-neverwinter/

Control Wizard
http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?385321-Grimah-s-Comprehensive-Wizard-guide

Dec

I really don't like the new path for Trickster and don't know that I want to pay to respec. Might just sideline him and level a new class to take over as my main.

Chuggernaut

Neo Member
I really don't like the new path for Trickster and don't know that I want to pay to respec. Might just sideline him and level a new class to take over as my main.

The ranger is pretty fun, a group of us have been leveling with 5 in a party, and the ranged\melee hybrid makes for some interesting fights.

Dec

The ranger is pretty fun, a group of us have been leveling with 5 in a party, and the ranged\melee hybrid makes for some interesting fights.

That's my wife's class, and playing two rangers seems maybe a bit bad. You can't really use any aoe spells because of how much they jump around. Right now I'm guardian and she's hunter and it's pretty fun, I can keep them still. I played a guardian to 36 or something in one of the really early betas so didn't really have the desire to relevel at launch.

I want to level my Cleric most I think, but I left him at level 36ish. So I'll play the guardian until 36 then switch and leave the guardian there.

I honestly want to get every class to 60. They are all fun which is one of the things I really like about this game. I ended up not playing GW2 anymore because after leveling two classes to 80 I didn't really care for either of them.

I assume if I download on Steam I don't have to make a new account? Not that it matters, all I ever did was create a character and never played.

Xanathus

I'm downloading this now and trying it out for the first time. I'm thinking of going Cleric, is it easy to find parties or play solo with that? Also is there a GAF guild I can join just to ask noob questions and stuff? I probably won't be playing on the same timezone as you guys though.

Dec

I'm downloading this now and trying it out for the first time. I'm thinking of going Cleric, is it easy to find parties or play solo with that? Also is there a GAF guild I can join just to ask noob questions and stuff? I probably won't be playing on the same timezone as you guys though.

Just add @declarius when you're in game and send me a message when I'm on later. Just going to play around with the new dota patch and then I'll be on a long while tonight.

And clerics are of course a highly sought after class, as they are the only healer currently. I haven't solo'd at all so I'm not sure about that.

I assume if I download on Steam I don't have to make a new account? Not that it matters, all I ever did was create a character and never played.

You will I think. Steam launches the patcher and you sign into it with your perfect world details.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, I finally started doing shit with my Cleric Companion...What a difference that makes. While my GF isn't crazy strong, I really can't die now.

So what's the difference between a skirmish and a dungeon delve?

ShinMaruku

I remember when I could use my controller and they removed that support. Then I never played it again, have they added it back?

Xanathus

Are clerics viable in PVP late-game? I was doing well in PVP matches from 10 until 30 but I'm getting killed insanely fast in the 31-40 matches. A hunter ranger was killing me in 3 hits and was basically spawn camping. Is it just the class or are they able to twink their lower level alts with super powerful gear?

WarMacheen

Looked at the game months ago and blew it off. Downloaded again and am enjoying the Hunter Ranger. I realize this is F2P, but is the game viable if you don't put money into it. As in gated content etc.

It's got some rough edges, but fun so far.

Dec

Man, I finally started doing shit with my Cleric Companion...What a difference that makes. While my GF isn't crazy strong, I really can't die now.

So what's the difference between a skirmish and a dungeon delve?

Skirmishes are little wave based challenges that take place on a little map, dungeon delves is just a bonus version of a dungeon where there is a chest at the end that isn't normally there.

Are clerics viable in PVP late-game? I was doing well in PVP matches from 10 until 30 but I'm getting killed insanely fast in the 31-40 matches. A hunter ranger was killing me in 3 hits and was basically spawn camping. Is it just the class or are they able to twink their lower level alts with super powerful gear?

It's hard to say for sure since I haven't done PvP since launch but unless they nerfed them badly since then clerics should be one of the best classes for PvP. Back when I played it was always Rogues, Wizards, and Clerics.

Looked at the game months ago and blew it off. Downloaded again and am enjoying the Hunter Ranger. I realize this is F2P, but is the game viable if you don't put money into it. As in gated content etc.

There is no gated content at all. Epic mounts and companions are tough to get unless you're farming late dungeons at 60. Special enchantments that have visual effects on your weapons, much more similar to WoW-like enchantments are very difficult to level up without wards, which will make sure you don't fail a refinement, and these enchants have 1% to succeed.

All of this stuff is on the auction for diamonds, and you can trade diamonds for Zen to buy anything in the store.

They tried to gate a race, but people bitched and they made it for everyone.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey, I just started playing this game 6 days ago along with a couple friends and we're having a good time. We didn't do much together yet (this is the first MMO for a couple of them), but we're having fun.

They're wondering about Guilds and pestering me about making one. I'm too lazy to do proper research, but is there any massive benefit from being in a guild on Level 25, other than the regular benefits of having other people to do shit with? They want to create a guild for our small, 5 person group, mostly so we can have access to the Guild Bank to store shit. Personally, I rather join the GAF guild, but they're neither gaffers or speak that much English, so there's no point in them joining in.

So, my question is, is there any benefit from joining a guild, stat wise?

I did a quick look over the content of the game and, aside from things costing 600k astral diamonds (which you could easily get by spending 5 bucks or, you know, playing every single content that gives you astral diamonds for a month straight), the only thing that pissed me off is that Respecing your character costs 3 dollars.

But then again, the ENTIRE game is free, so there isn't much to be pissed about.

Dec

Hey, I just started playing this game 6 days ago along with a couple friends and we're having a good time. We didn't do much together yet (this is the first MMO for a couple of them), but we're having fun.

They're wondering about Guilds and pestering me about making one. I'm too lazy to do proper research, but is there any massive benefit from being in a guild on Level 25, other than the regular benefits of having other people to do shit with? They want to create a guild for our small, 5 person group, mostly so we can have access to the Guild Bank to store shit. Personally, I rather join the GAF guild, but they're neither gaffers or speak that much English, so there's no point in them joining in.

So, my question is, is there any benefit from joining a guild, stat wise?

I did a quick look over the content of the game and, aside from things costing 600k astral diamonds (which you could easily get by spending 5 bucks or, you know, playing every single content that gives you astral diamonds for a month straight), the only thing that pissed me off is that Respecing your character costs 3 dollars.

But then again, the ENTIRE game is free, so there isn't much to be pissed about.

I think you need to be in a guild where the leader has aligned the guild with a faction to do Gauntlgrym, it's a PVP zone like Wintergrasp and such in WoW. But there is no requirement other than the guild leader talking to an NPC.

There is no stat boost or other benefits to guilds. Just the guild bank, which we decided in open beta was not something we needed on the GAF guild.

Oh ya, you can respec feats for diamonds, but not powers and path choice. If you had chosen a path prior to this expansion you got a free respec, my wife also got a free respec in the summer that I didn't get, so they must give certain classes free respecs after a patch that changed a lot or something.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh ya, you can respec feats for diamonds, but not powers and path choice. If you had chosen a path prior to this expansion you got a free respec, my wife also got a free respec in the summer that I didn't get, so they must give certain classes free respecs after a patch that changed a lot or something.

Well, you could technically respec powers with Astral Diamonds. You can get a Zen for 423 Astral Diamonds (roughly). You'd need 127k Astral Diamonds, but it's doable.

Dec

Well, you could technically respec powers with Astral Diamonds. You can get a Zen for 423 Astral Diamonds (roughly). You'd need 127k Astral Diamonds, but it's doable.

Of course, since you can trade diamonds for gold you can get anything by playing, even if it can take a long time for most players. 127k diamonds isn't very hard to get though.

Top Bottom