• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Barnes & Noble Nook is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Verge

Samsung and Barnes & Noble announced on Thursday a co-branded device called the Galaxy Tab 4 Nook, a 7-inch reading-focused tablet designed to compete with the Kindle Fire HDX and the Nexus 7.

Galaxy_Tab_4_NOOK.jpg

x-Lundz-x

Getting smart I see, the Nook was pretty cool but the hardware was terrible. I hope B&N can turn it around with this.

OH REALLY?

Nook Color was the shit, but I fell off the wagon and never came back after a certain time. Cobranding is super smart, especially with Samsung.

This is exactly what they needed to do. I'll probably still end up getting a Kindle Fire, but if they want to compete then better hardware was a must.

That's... pretty smart!
Hmm. I really like my Note 8.0, and I wouldn't mind a new throwaway device. Samsung tablets are rather durable, so this might be a good device.

Vanillalite

Crappy low res screen. :(

Well it is a Galaxy tab 4 still. :p

Yeah it's a smart decision by B&N. Get a highly reputable hardware manufacture to help.

The device itself is just okay though. The N7 is such a game changer hard to want other tablets at this price point.

Vanillalite

They really need to get the price down. It's pretty bad compared to the Kindle Fire HDX.

The price is no different than the normal Galaxy Tab 4, and for some reason those sell.

Not saying you can't get better HW for the price, but the shit does sell.

Somnid

The price is no different than the normal Galaxy Tab 4, and for some reason those sell.

Not saying you can't get better HW for the price, but the shit does sell.

My general understanding is Samsung tablets don't sell very well in the US but they are the goto in many other parts of the world.

terrisus

So... Will it be any better for actual reading than a regular tablet?

We have a Nook Touch with Glowlight for an e-book reader, and then also a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.
As far as reading goes, what would this actually offer over them?

Wiktor

Ermm...a tablet focused on reading with 1280x800 resolution? Lol..wut? Heck, the whole idea of reading focused tablet is beyond silly, but if you're going to attempt that at least give it high res screen. Kindle Fire HD had 1920x1200 afterall

Somnid

So... Will it be any better for actual reading than a regular tablet?

We have a Nook Touch with Glowlight for an e-book reader, and then also a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.
As far as reading goes, what would this actually offer over them?

Nothing. It's a Galaxy Tab 4 with the Nook app preinstalled. Older Nooks and Kindle Fires at least had dedicated system-level reading modes that would save battery and turn off notifications.

What's the point? Are you getting free books with it? Does it have a "reading" mode that would change the battery to a month long charge type of lasting?

Not seeing the reason for this to exist at all. Granted, the Galaxy Tab 4 doesn't have much of a reason to exist in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom