• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

fenners

I can't believe the price of games when I went to the USA this weekend.

My Wife and I took a trip to Minneapolis and checked out Source Comics and Games and the Fantasy Flight Games center, we were thinking of picking up a game or two to kill some of the downtime we had planned between an NBA game and some shopping but were blown away from the price. We've had our eyes on Robinson Crusoe for awhile, but it was 80 USD, I was looking at it on Board Game Bliss and it was $55 Canadian! In comparison to my FLGS in Winnipeg, I just bought Le Havre for 62+, and it was 70 at Source. That is in local currencies as well.

RRP of Robinson Crusoe is $80US, Le Harve is $70US, yep. They're both available for much cheaper via online discounters (e.g. CSI has them for $55/$48 respectively).

joelseph

I don't sleeve anything. I think the trend is weird as hell.

If I'm sitting on a large order of sleeves from Mtg I will sleeve all the good games that come in. If I'm running low on sleeves I get lazy but then I stress out when I play the unsleeved game with people eating chips.

MikeRahl

RRP of Robinson Crusoe is $80US, Le Harve is $70US, yep. They're both available for much cheaper via online discounters (e.g. CSI has them for $55/$48 respectively).

Yeah I figured it was a RRP thing. Mostly couldn't believe that Canadian Retailers are coming in cheaper than American ones regardless of currency.

Noaloha

I recently sleeved Dominion, a game with a lot of shuffling, like, you're shuffling a deck every sixty seconds or so. The sleeves obviously reduce the wear and tear, but I also find it much, much faster to shuffle up a sleeved deck than a non-sleeved. Totally worth it for certain games.

joelseph

Let's not forget the most important reason to sleeve, you can make the satisfying snapping sound with every card you put down on the table and do that little shuffle fidget in your hand while you ponder!

Xater

I recently sleeved Dominion, a game with a lot of shuffling, like, you're shuffling a deck every sixty seconds or so. The sleeves obviously reduce the wear and tear, but I also find it much, much faster to shuffle up a sleeved deck than a non-sleeved. Totally worth it for certain games.

I'm complete the opposite. I hate shuffling sleeved cards.

ultron87

Played some new stuff this weekend during a game day at a friend's. Here's two of them.

Blueprints:

Light game where you're selecting dice to stack up in a tower to try and score the most points. The only actual interaction between players is which dice you select from the available pile of building materials. Everyone's towers and blueprints are concealed behind screens, so you can't just see exactly what someone is going for. You can, however, pay attention to the dice they're grabbing and try and wreck them by edging them out of the dice they need to complete one of the public goals. Though playing that way probably just makes your tower less good. I liked it as a nice little light game.

Keyflower:

It's a village building/auction/worker placement game. Normally that wouldn't be super appealing to me, but this game is really cool. Meeples being the primary resource for both bidding and tile activation is a really great idea. Especially when you combine it with the idea that most tiles end up in one players village, and you can send your guys off to mine gold in another village for you, but that means your opponent will have that piece to use in the next round.

The final "winter" round is especially cool because each player introduces their picks from a number of victory point generating tiles and bids on those to incorporate in their village to actually use in the final scoring. So it is this cool dance where you're trying to win objectives, while also setting up to score those objectives that you haven't even won yet. Sometimes you just have to pivot wildly multiple times in that final round to generate the most possible points.

My one concern is that there is so much going on in this and all the systems interlock in ways such that I could very easily see myself trying to think way too hard about everything and get analysised out if I really wanted to try my utmost to win.

I have never sleeved any board games. I don't wanna go that road, people go crazy: laminating chits, acrylic on top of the board, photocopying score pads, keeping boxes in a dark closet, etc.

I'm thinking on sleeving a couple of pretty worn games that are not easily replaced but even thinking about it feels weird to me.

I used to play with sleeved cards when I played MTG for obvious reasons, and I hate the feeling of shuffling sleeved cards too.

I played my first game of BSG on saturday. None of us had read the rules, only two of us read them halfway, we played with 6 people, with a sympathizer and with two girlfriends who are not that much into board gaming at all, it took us 5 hours.

So just like the game it seemed like a recipe for failure, but it went pretty well, it all came down to one last roll. Three revealed cylons, only two humans out of prison and we were at 8 distances already. We forced that last jump but we lost 3 population while doing it and we had only 2 left. It was the end for humans. Looking forward to properly reading the rules and playing again in the future.

I played my first game of BSG on saturday. None of us had read the rules, only two of us read them halfway, we played with 6 people, with a sympathizer and with two girlfriends who are not that much into board gaming at all, it took us 5 hours.

So just like the game it seemed like a recipe for failure, but it went pretty well, it all came down to one last roll. Three revealed cylons, only two humans out of prison and we were at 8 distances already. We forced that last jump but we lost 3 population while doing it and we had only 2 left. It was the end for humans. Looking forward to properly reading the rules and playing again in the future.

Three revealed cylons? Isn't the max two? =)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

My Wife and I took a trip to Minneapolis and checked out Source Comics and Games and the Fantasy Flight Games center, we were thinking of picking up a game or two to kill some of the downtime we had planned between an NBA game and some shopping but were blown away from the price. We've had our eyes on Robinson Crusoe for awhile, but it was 80 USD, I was looking at it on Board Game Bliss and it was $55 Canadian! In comparison to my FLGS in Winnipeg, I just bought Le Havre for 62+, and it was 70 at Source. That is in local currencies as well.

That being said, I am weak and ended up buying Hive, Blood Bowl Team Manager and Patchwork from Fantasy Flight which are all great.

Well, you are looking at low-overhead online game stores that can afford to sell at a deep discount because they sell massive volumes and comparing it to a local game store that has to pay rent, salary and benefits for employees to run a store-front. The volume is lower and a lot of their stock will sit on shelves for years to come.

I love CSI and other stores and they certainly do a great job at what they do, but the local game store is massively important for our hobby. That's where game nights are held, it's where new gamers are going to walk in the door and discover TTR or Catan for the first time.

I try to buy everything locally when possible simply because I think it's worth the 20 extra bucks to help keep the stores going. I don't think you need to buy every game at a local game store, but the individual economic decision repeated enough times has massive ramifications for the industries health.

emag

Three revealed cylons? Isn't the max two? =)

Presumably the third was a Cylon-siding sympathizer.

I've had a run of not-so-fulfilling BSG games recently, primarily with newer/less-experienced players. I can keep the game moving, so we can finish in under two hours, but sometimes I feel almost like I'm playing solo. New human players don't pick up on the kind of inefficient or subtle play a hidden Cylon may engage in; moreover, they play poorly themselves. New Cylon players are either blatantly obvious or play heavily pro-human. It really turns me off of the game (BGG tells me I have well over a hundred plays on record, counting expansions).

On the other hand, I can bring out One Night Ultimate Werewolf (or even The Resistance/Avalon) and have a great time with brand-new players (even "non-gamers") with minimal time commitment.

I really miss my old "hardcore" gamers group. :(

What in particular are you having trouble with?

Joel Eddy does a straight up play through here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6P6jkd2yxA

It's with the small expansion but turn flow is still the same and shouldn't add much different from the base game. Combined with the rules it should give you a good idea of how a turn goes down. While EH does have a not insignificant rulebook, I think the turn flow is actually really simple.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them though.

Thanks for the video! I think right now it's just the little things. Like the first encounter card had me doing things I felt I couldn't do first turn because I only had one portal and one monster and I wasn't clear what happened to me since I can't fulfill it. And do some of the mythos cards or encounter cards stay out until I can fulfill them? Just seems overwhelming.

XShagrath

I try to buy everything locally when possible simply because I think it's worth the 20 extra bucks to help keep the stores going. I don't think you need to buy every game at a local game store, but the individual economic decision repeated enough times has massive ramifications for the industries health.
I get the best of both worlds, since CSI is my local game store. They have a storefront and host game nights as well, plus get the massive discounts. I guess I'm lucky in that regard, because I don't know if the other big online retailers have storefronts as well.

Still one too many AFAIK. You only get 3 if you do 7 with a Cylon leader. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

No, you add two "you are a cylon" and you may get an additional one as the sympathizer. The sympathizer is basically a way to balance the game if the humans are doing too well in the first phase.

Xater

Well, you are looking at low-overhead online game stores that can afford to sell at a deep discount because they sell massive volumes and comparing it to a local game store that has to pay rent, salary and benefits for employees to run a store-front. The volume is lower and a lot of their stock will sit on shelves for years to come.

I love CSI and other stores and they certainly do a great job at what they do, but the local game store is massively important for our hobby. That's where game nights are held, it's where new gamers are going to walk in the door and discover TTR or Catan for the first time.

I never pay premium for anything, then again even big stores here have more games than just Monopoly, Risk or Trivial Pursuit.

Neverfade

Thanks for the video! I think right now it's just the little things. Like the first encounter card had me doing things I felt I couldn't do first turn because I only had one portal and one monster and I wasn't clear what happened to me since I can't fulfill it. And do some of the mythos cards or encounter cards stay out until I can fulfill them? Just seems overwhelming.

Without a specific example I can't answer the first one, but the only Mythos cards that stay out are ones that spawn Rumors. There's a rumor token than goes on the board to specify where you go to deal with said rumor.

Do yourself a favor and find one of the non-sympathizer variants that suits your group. Sympathizer is a dog shit mechanic and Koneicza is still repenting for his sins to this day.

That was our take on it, it's super boring for the sympathizer player.

Regarding the buy local/online. I like to mix and match and buy local sometimes and support local sellers and buy online when they don't have what I want. I have more than enough games, saving $10 so I can buy yet another one is a non issue for me.

MikeRahl

My biggest surprise wasn't that the online was cheaper, it was just comparing prices from the game stores I shop in Winnipeg compared to the MSRP that the games were being sold at in the stores I visited. The prices probably would have surprised me even not taking into account the exchange rate, which is hardly favorable right now. I'm not sure how the local stores can do it if that is the model in the States, they must be pricing as if the dollar is at par.

Dragoshi1

So my local Target started carrying Yugioh! Dice Masters starter sets and packs, so I bought about 14 packs and a starter set, got an uncommon Winged Dragon of Ra and the Super Rare Thousand Dragon, and TONS of Time Wizard, and, believe it or not, I pulled TWO in one pack.

All I wanted was Dark Magician Girl...

So is Yugioh DM compatible against Marvel DM?

And will DnD DM be compatible with them too? New to Dice Masters, and the guide book that came with the starter doesn't really specify.

joelseph

No, you add two "you are a cylon" and you may get an additional one as the sympathizer. The sympathizer is basically a way to balance the game if the humans are doing too well in the first phase.

Gotcha. I only enjoy the game about once every blue moon and only if I'm a hidden cylon from the start. Getting stuck with the sympathizer is the worst.

Flynn

That being said, I am weak and ended up buying Hive, Blood Bowl Team Manager and Patchwork from Fantasy Flight which are all great.

Source used to be my local game shop. I'd gladly throw them and extra eight bucks to keep them in business.

Xero

no encounter cards stay out, but some mythos cards do. Like rumors. Generally they tell you when they need to stay out usually with some counters. I suggest if you haven't already playthrough it yourself first with 1 or 2 investigators to get the hang of it. My brain melted the first time I read the rule book, but as I played it all started to click. What I generally tell people that get intimidated the first time I bring it out. Is I know this looks intimidating, but all the game really boils down to is pull a card, do what it says and make a roll. Thats the game. The cards generally tell you exactly what to do. So you follow instructions and roll. Rahdo has a run through as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iLIJ-DXiQ0 . Sometimes you are kinda stuck in the game with the mysteries, since it might be a clue related one, and their aren't enough clues or gates to complete it. Particularly in the beginning of the game its likely the first mystery you just won't be able to do anything about for the first few turns or so. So in the beginning make yourself stronger. Go to locations that are likely to improve a weak stat, buy items to help you, just power up in general. Who you are playing as matters too. My advice unless its a big group of people, don't play anyone with awful influence,(its used too often) and at least have 1 person set to take out monsters. There are many great characters my favorite is trish since, she can get free clues for rerolls, and she starts with the .45 which immediately makes all her attack rolls with 6 dice.

I've played it about 30 times or so, I can try and help with any rules questions. Honestly I think the big thing about arkham horror is with its expansions it probably becomes convoluted. The base game isn't that different from eldritch horror, except there are a few more things to keep track of that don't activate every time, that you have to remember.

Karkador

Banned
So my local Target started carrying Yugioh! Dice Masters starter sets and packs, so I bought about 14 packs and a starter set, got an uncommon Winged Dragon of Ra and the Super Rare Thousand Dragon, and TONS of Time Wizard, and, believe it or not, I pulled TWO in one pack.

All I wanted was Dark Magician Girl...

So is Yugioh DM compatible against Marvel DM?

And will DnD DM be compatible with them too? New to Dice Masters, and the guide book that came with the starter doesn't really specify.

They are all compatible with each other in a basic way, but there will be some specific things about each set that you'll probably have to house rule if you want them to play together well.

JSR_Cube

Two interesting kickstarters today:

Blood Rage
Above and Below

And Tesla vs. Edison starts on the 5th.

It's looking like an expensive week already! I don't think I can pass up on Blood Rage at least. I like Eric Lang's games and area control games go over well with my group.

These days I'm definitely spending more cash on board games than video games.

no encounter cards stay out, but some mythos cards do. Like rumors. Generally they tell you when they need to stay out usually with some counters. I suggest if you haven't already playthrough it yourself first with 1 or 2 investigators to get the hang of it. My brain melted the first time I read the rule book, but as I played it all started to click. What I generally tell people that get intimidated the first time I bring it out. Is I know this looks intimidating, but all the game really boils down to is pull a card, do what it says and make a roll. Thats the game. The cards generally tell you exactly what to do. So you follow instructions and roll. Rahdo has a run through as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iLIJ-DXiQ0 . Sometimes you are kinda stuck in the game with the mysteries, since it might be a clue related one, and their aren't enough clues or gates to complete it. Particularly in the beginning of the game its likely the first mystery you just won't be able to do anything about for the first few turns or so. So in the beginning make yourself stronger. Go to locations that are likely to improve a weak stat, buy items to help you, just power up in general. Who you are playing as matters too. My advice unless its a big group of people, don't play anyone with awful influence,(its used too often) and at least have 1 person set to take out monsters. There are many great characters my favorite is trish since, she can get free clues for rerolls, and she starts with the .45 which immediately makes all her attack rolls with 6 dice.

I've played it about 30 times or so, I can try and help with any rules questions. Honestly I think the big thing about arkham horror is with its expansions it probably becomes convoluted. The base game isn't that different from eldritch horror, except there are a few more things to keep track of that don't activate every time, that you have to remember.

Thank you for the advice. After watching the video's posted earlier I feel I have a little bit better of an understanding and am going to give it another try to hopefully get the grasp of it.

MikeRahl

Source used to be my local game shop. I'd gladly throw them and extra eight bucks to keep them in business.

$8 wouldn't be too bad... $20 ($62 CDN is about $50 USD) is a little much.

I was quite impressed by Source though, that place is huge!

Two interesting kickstarters today:

Blood Rage
Above and Below

And Tesla vs. Edison starts on the 5th.

It's looking like an expensive week already! I don't think I can pass up on Blood Rage at least. I like Eric Lang's games and area control games go over well with my group.

These days I'm definitely spending more cash on board games than video games.

Two UnPub 5 entries up on KS:
- Bad Medicine: Know nothing about it except he gave out free M&M's in pill tubes
- Between Two Cities: Competitive/Cooperative game. You can only score the worst of your two cities. These two cities are built in conjunction with your two neighbors. You draft city tiles and determine which cities they belong to. Adding to the fun: The final city layout has to be 4x4, and Round 2 has you drafting either 1x2 or 2x1 tiles (you don't know until you see them)

Experien

above and below sounds amazing. Can't wait for a gameplay video.

Above and Below is also by Ryan Laurat who draws and designs all his games himself. It is crazy! He has made Eight Minute Empire:) Legends), the expansion Lost Land for it, Empires of the Void, and more. You can see them here.

While I hate backing games before I've seen any gameplay, I just had to do it in good faith. Especially since he is one of the only Kickstarters where you actually get the game EARLY. Some people have gotten their stuff 2 months early. It just feels marvelous. Gotta support that work ethic.

Anyone participating in the BGG Math Trade "Ides of Math?" I haven't done a math trade in 3 years but I'm cleaning out my shelf and 5 games need to go. Some of the minis are painted :*(

joelseph

Anyone participating in the BGG Math Trade "Ides of Math?" I haven't done a math trade in 3 years but I'm cleaning out my shelf and 5 games need to go. Some of the minis are painted :*(

2015 is going to be the year I do a math trade dammit. It may only be a Gencon pickup but gosh darnit I'm going to do one.

Dreavus

I think it depends on the game as well, although I haven't done dominion myself yet because I haven't figured out where I'd put everything once it's sleeved.

I did go a little crazy with my copy of BattleCON, and that game doesn't even have much shuffling at all.

Depends on the cards to me, even with heavy use my dominion cards look good because they are fairly well constructed. Unlike say Pathfinder, whose cards are total crap quality and need sleeves after one play. Some games just have much better quality card quality.

ultron87

I only really sleeve if the individual cards have high monetary value (see Magic) or if it is a game where a card getting marked can kind of ruin things (Coup and the like).

Phthisis

I am. Trying to get rid of the Game of Thrones Card Game + all 6 "big" box expansions, Tales of the Arabian Nights, San Juan 1st ed, and a few other small things (Yomi Cursed promo cards, for example).

I am. Trying to get rid of the Game of Thrones Card Game + all 6 "big" box expansions, Tales of the Arabian Nights, San Juan 1st ed, and a few other small things (Yomi Cursed promo cards, for example).

Ha! I totally saw your Yomi Cursed cards in the list, there's only 1 entry for that so it sticks out. I'm getting rid of Gears of War: The Board Game (which I like dammit! Just never hits the table), Talisman 4th ed, Elder Sign, Shootin Ladders (terrible game), and Wasabi. I'm not sure of Wasabi's value, it looks like that game is out of print so I might be underselling it in my want list.

Dreavus

I keep idly thinking I'll participate in one of these but never make any steps to do it. There was a time where I thought I'd keep every game I got, but there are a few that can definitely go now.

I keep idly thinking I'll participate in one of these but never make any steps to do it. There was a time where I thought I'd keep every game I got, but there are a few that can definitely go now.

I'd rather do it this way than via ebay or some alternative. You have to cover shipping and I expect to lose money considering that plus the games are used, but better to trade in for a different game when the ones I'm offering are just taking up space and collecting dust.

Phthisis

Ha! I totally saw your Yomi Cursed cards in the list, there's only 1 entry for that so it sticks out. I'm getting rid of Gears of War: The Board Game (which I like dammit! Just never hits the table), Talisman 4th ed, Elder Sign, Shootin Ladders (terrible game), and Wasabi. I'm not sure of Wasabi's value, it looks like that game is out of print so I might be underselling it in my want list.

I typically go into math trades knowing that I won't get full value because of shipping, but if I can pick up something I've had my eye on or is hard to find, I consider it a win.

joelseph

When will GenCon pickup trades go up usually? I need to spend a weekend and get my BGG in order.

I have a private con coming up this Friday though Sunday! This one will have a team game theme. You rarely see team games. Friday night we having a Memoir 44 Overload tournament where you have to be in character. Dog tags and Saving Private Ryan all night.

We will also be doing team Robo Rally, team Dominion, and Space Cadets dice duels.

Anyone have any favorite team games?

Top Bottom