• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Pro-tip.

Complicated plastic things that nest inside one another sounds really good on paper and is a terrible idea in reality.

I should have stuck to good old Euros and wood. Though, those nesting cones in Great Fire of London were awful.

Thanks. I'm also seeing so many version of Descent on Amazon, which one should I go for?
Oh, someone above mention Arkham Horror being phased out, what did they mean? I'm debating it and Eldritch Horror.
Get the Descent 2.0 core base set. The rest are expansion. Arkham Horror is being replaced by Eldritch Horror but I am sure FFG will keep reprinting Arkham Horror. Eldritch Horror is refine and streamline Arkham. I really enjoy it but now I want more so I picked up all the Arkham Horror since it have so many expansions and I got nice deal on the lot.

NEO0MJ

Get the Descent 2.0 core base set. The rest are expansion. Arkham Horror is being replaced by Eldritch Horror but I am sure FFG will keep reprinting Arkham Horror. Eldritch Horror is refine and streamline Arkham. I really enjoy it but now I want more so I picked up all the Arkham Horror since it have so many expansions and I got nice deal on the lot.

Looks like the base Descent is out of stock and hard to find online for a decent price. If we go for fantasy I guess we'll pick D&D: WOA

Dragoshi1

Ordered Apex, can't wait to get it! Dinosaurs are always an instabuy for me.

Any other interesting board games out there involving dinosaurs of some kind?

joelseph

Anyone else always think the "New Weight loss..." thread or whatever it is called is this thread when you are glancing down the list? I guess I associate the word new to this thread.

Speaking of new...

This new Dune PnP game rocketed up the hotness track. Holy crap the art is gorgeous. Anyone considering printing it or paying to have it printed?

I have never done a full PnP beyond KS stuff like 2 Rooms and a Boom.

joelseph

Ordered Apex, can't wait to get it! Dinosaurs are always an instabuy for me.

Any other interesting board games out there involving dinosaurs of some kind?

Evolution? Recent tableau builder that looks to have dinosaur type creatures. I haven't played it but I want to. North Star published it I believe.

Phthisis

Beautiful board, the theme is interesting to me but I doubt I can get anyone in my family to try this game. It looks more like school work than game. I just watch this on Watch it Played, thanks. May be someday I can find nice gaming group of people, thanks for sharing, I would never have seen this.

No problem! In my group I'm known as that one guy who likes games with "weird" or "strange" themes or games nobody has ever heard of, or really complex-looking wargames. I feel like I'm kind of that guy in this thread, too :p

As far as The New Science goes, everyone I've played it with has enjoyed it, despite it looking like school work. If you can manage to get someone over the hump and try it, I think they would really like it. It's very simple mechanically; there are like 8 actual rules.

Xater

I wish those D&D games were coming out here. They look great but none of the WotC stuff is making it over here. It sucks. I need a localization for some of my friends (two to be exact) to make play easier.

Draxal

Looks like the base Descent is out of stock and hard to find online for a decent price. If we go for fantasy I guess we'll pick D&D: WOA

Should be able to find it at Barnes and Noble and usually they have 20% of coupons if you subscribe to their club.

As I've been getting more games I have been wondering if anyone else uses sleeves or anything when they can. I have all of my Zombies!!! Games, Pandemic, and Game of Thrones sleeved but after picking up Dead of Winter and Eldritch Horror I began to wonder if it's worth it to spend so much on sleeves. Obviously it'll help preserve the game but I also am extremely careful about such things. Opinions?

Xater

As I've been getting more games I have been wondering if anyone else uses sleeves or anything when they can. I have all of my Zombies!!! Games, Pandemic, and Game of Thrones sleeved but after picking up Dead of Winter and Eldritch Horror I began to wonder if it's worth it to spend so much on sleeves. Obviously it'll help preserve the game but I also am extremely careful about such things. Opinions?

The only thing I have sleeved are the cards in Colt Express because everyone has an incredibly small deck that get's shuffled all the time.

I don't sleeve anything. I think the trend is weird as hell.

My friend's copy of Citadels is ruined. the role cards are all fucked and marked to hell. Luckily Citadels is a cheap game so he can just but a new one but he already has sleeves for his MtG cards; if only he'd have used them for just the role cards, which see the most action, he wouldn't be in this situation

Blizzard

Banned
Apparently today was my lucky day for card games. I was 3 for 3 winning Coup, Libertalia, and 7 Wonders at a game night. I think each game was a different group too, so I had a variety of opponents.

Played 3 games of Catan which went over extremely well. Very fun game which I'm eager to play more of. Also played a game of Pandemic where we just scraped by to win. Getting in Eldritch Horror tomorrow so hopefully I'm able to get a game in. I've gotten my one buddy interested in picking dome games up as well.

Neverfade

Got Homeland to the table. Pretty cool game. Certainly not a BSG killer but I think I'll keep it for now.

We got fucking wrecked by the Terrorist Mole though.

Got to have a go of Imperial Assault today. It was good fun. We only had 3 players, so we played with the legendary rules. I think it would have been better with 4 rebel characters.

Great looking board and miniatures.
XksLvbF.jpg

Jedi Diala surrounded by Stormtroopers.

Rebels aren't going to get out of this alive. (and we didn't.)

NEO0MJ

Looks like Mansion of Madness might be our next board game. I tried to fight for D&D: WOA but I lost ;_;

Should be able to find it at Barnes and Noble and usually they have 20% of coupons if you subscribe to their club.

Not at their website. It's even more expensive than what the sellers on amazon are asking for.

Every time I see Imperial Assault I get the itch to buy it. Then I remember the price...
They are cheaper now in the US, I got it off Amazon with free shipping prime and no tax for $64.00 last month. It's hovering around $68 now. Descent on the hand had jump through the roof along with all the Eldritch Horror expansions.

Xater

They are cheaper now in the US, I got it off Amazon with free shipping prime and no tax for $64.00 last month. It's hovering around $68 now. Descent on the hand had jump through the roof along with all the Eldritch Horror expansions.

Well int he US. That price seems better. Over here it will cost 90€. That's easily 3 games and I'm not even talking small ones. The price is shocking to me because Descent 2.0 is half of that.

Keasar

Well int he US. That price seems better. Over here it will cost 90€. That's easily 3 games and I'm not even talking small ones. The price is shocking to me because Descent 2.0 is half of that.

Wow, I usually complain about the pricing here in Sweden but its not even that bad, here you can find it for 72 Euros, which is still way above 64-68 USD.

I've only gotten Brimstone to the table a very few times and I like it and it is sort of frustrating (and I am not talking difficulty). Exploration tokens say to flip over a portal or a pathway in the mine...but what if the mission you are playing is "search the mine." What happens?

I need a better storage solution too since it has soo many pieces with both core sets.

Depends if you're wanting to play a Basic game, where you stay in the mines, or a advanced game. Bottom of page 13 in the rule book says:
Note that some Exploration Tokens have a Gate Icon amongst the Door Icons. In the Basic Game, treat these as normal Doors in every way. in the Advanced Game, these Gate Icons represent a portal to an Other World that has opened and the Heroes can step through and continue to explore on the other side!
The special rules for each mission type will say if you should ignore Gates, for example the Escape mission.

As for storage, I got a couple slim Plano 3700 containers to separate all the tokens, dice, and the hero models. Everything else is in the main boxes.

Draxal

Looks like Mansion of Madness might be our next board game. I tried to fight for D&D: WOA but I lost ;_;

Not at their website. It's even more expensive than what the sellers on amazon are asking for.

They should have it in store, their brick and mortar stores are pretty well stocked.

Lyng

Arent you from Germany? The retail price of IA there is 70€?

Wow, I usually complain about the pricing here in Sweden but its not even that bad, here you can find it for 72 Euros, which is still way above 64-68 USD.

In Australia is it anywhere between $130-170. My mate was lucky enough to get it online for $100. Still well over what it should be.

Xater

Arent you from Germany? The retail price of IA there is 70€?

Official retail price is 90€. The game is not yet out in German. The price for the English version is even 100€ according to the Heidelberger website. You can find it on Amazon for 80€ but that is still too much for me. I just can't see myself ever paying that much for a single game.

I also suspect we are paying a big premium because of the license.

Xero

I've only gotten Brimstone to the table a very few times and I like it and it is sort of frustrating (and I am not talking difficulty). Exploration tokens say to flip over a portal or a pathway in the mine...but what if the mission you are playing is "search the mine." What happens?

I need a better storage solution too since it has soo many pieces with both core sets.

I thought the instructions say not to use the portals in search the mine. could be wrong

Experien

I thought the instructions say not to use the portals in search the mine. could be wrong

I think you aren't but the game is set up where you only use portal or only use mines and makes for a semi-confusing time. Almost like you should use the missions to learn how to play and then randomly play with your own made-up goal in the end and explore?

I had a great game day today. Finally got to play Battle Sheep and then played old favorites like Among the Stars, Good Cop/Bad Cop, Coup, Village in a Box. It has been too long!

PS: Highly recommend people guy a big gaming mat if they don't have a special table. Helps a ton.

EYEL1NER

Got to play some stuff today:
Played 6 games of BraveRats at work, winning half. I still love the game, so much fun trying to read your opnent and not second-guess yourself. I might buy a second copy of R at some point soon since I prefer that art to the anthro rats of BraveRats.
Played three games of MtG at work with the 2015 clash pack and won all three, which is the best I've ever done in one sitting against the guy I play with.
Then when we got off work and arrived back at the dorms we played Mage Knight (just the intro scenario since I had never played). I liked it but didn't quite know what I was doing and it was over quick. I'm down for playing again after reading the rules.
I busted out Pandmic: The Cure which was every bit as fun as I expected. We both played Pandemic for the first time at the beginning of last year and that (plus Smash Up) is what set us off on tabletop gaming. Before playing Pandemic, I obsessed over the rules and studied them intently so I would be sure that we played correctly, since so many people don't and miss a rule or misinterpret one. We won that first game which felt great after reading how a large portion of the people who play lose the first game (and sometimes the second and third as well). The Cure felt quite a bit like Vanilla Pandemic and we picked it up quick but lost anyway. Only two diseases cured before outbreaks did us in. One issue we had was we kept forgetting to pay attention to what event cards were out and would see that one would have saved our ass if we had noticed it prior to a move or cure attempt or something else. So that is something to work on next time. We also just had really unlucky rolls, with the common one for the first couple cure attempts being 5,5,2, and a number of + dice (really frustrating to roll 5,5,2,+ and then next turn get another sample and roll 5,5,2,+,+. And then have someone else do the same with five dice on another color's attempt). I enjoyed it a lot and am really hoping I get to play it soon, since it had been sitting here for a while in the great Stack o' Unplayed Games. I need to get ahold of Z-Man though. My plastic infection/outbreak track has some holes misaligned or of the wrong size, which prevents it from acceptin the green pegs in a lot of spots.

I also spent some time painting primer on the Space Wolves that a coworker gifted me from his StormClaw box. Another coworker was showing me basic painting techniques at work. I need to order some brushes and paints I guess. At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on some spray paint primer but those aerosol cans can't be shipped here via the USPS or any of the European mail services I guess. About the only way to get any in is to see if the maintenance guys on base can somehow order some and get it in on a ship in the summer and then us buy it from them.

I think you aren't but the game is set up where you only use portal or only use mines and makes for a semi-confusing time.
You can optionally only use mines for a Basic game, or use mines and Outer World for an Advanced game by starting in the mines and eventually drawing an Encounter token with a Gate.

If you're creating your own story, you could certainly start in an Outer World and stay there, or try and make your way back to the mines, and then play and Escape mission.

I got in Eldritch Horror today and I must say I am over whelmed. I'm not sure if it's because I'm tired or just in a funk but I am not getting the rules, and this is the streamlined version of Arkham Horror. I read over the rules and the resource manual and my mind is just drawing a blank. YouTube isn't really helping either. I think between reading the rules and setting it up I just deteriorated into nothingness and couldn't continue. Are there any tips for beginners because I love the game and the story, I just want to play. I feel like it's quite a lot for a beginner but I couldn't pass the deal up.

Neverfade

I got in Eldritch Horror today and I must say I am over whelmed. I'm not sure if it's because I'm tired or just in a funk but I am not getting the rules, and this is the streamlined version of Arkham Horror. I read over the rules and the resource manual and my mind is just drawing a blank. YouTube isn't really helping either. I think between reading the rules and setting it up I just deteriorated into nothingness and couldn't continue. Are there any tips for beginners because I love the game and the story, I just want to play. I feel like it's quite a lot for a beginner but I couldn't pass the deal up.

What in particular are you having trouble with?

Joel Eddy does a straight up play through here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6P6jkd2yxA

It's with the small expansion but turn flow is still the same and shouldn't add much different from the base game. Combined with the rules it should give you a good idea of how a turn goes down. While EH does have a not insignificant rulebook, I think the turn flow is actually really simple.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them though.

Lyng

Official retail price is 90€. The game is not yet out in German. The price for the English version is even 100€ according to the Heidelberger website. You can find it on Amazon for 80€ but that is still too much for me. I just can't see myself ever paying that much for a single game.

I also suspect we are paying a big premium because of the license.

Buch.de has it for 70. Same with Brettspielverlag.de

Xater

yeah but we europeans allways get shafted when it comes to pricing. I live in Denmark and I am allways exremely jealoux when I see the US prices.

I can't complain much about the pricing of our local publishers. Games for 30-40€ is totally fine. Hell stuff like Istanbul is available for 23€. The miniature stuff usually seems to get a huge premium and stuff licensed from the US.

Lyng

I can't complain much about the pricing of our local publishers. Games for 30-40€ is totally fine. Hell stuff like Istanbul is available for 23€. The miniature stuff usually seems to get a huge premium and stuff licensed from the US.

That is not bad. Istanbul is 40€ in Denmark. Games like Terra Mystica are closer to 60.

Xater

That is not bad. Istanbul is 40€ in Denmark. Games like Terra Mystica are closer to 60.

Terra Mystica is the same here though. I think it's just that it was so much wood. Another game I skipped because of the price. At 40€ I would already own it.

MikeRahl

I can't believe the price of games when I went to the USA this weekend.

My Wife and I took a trip to Minneapolis and checked out Source Comics and Games and the Fantasy Flight Games center, we were thinking of picking up a game or two to kill some of the downtime we had planned between an NBA game and some shopping but were blown away from the price. We've had our eyes on Robinson Crusoe for awhile, but it was 80 USD, I was looking at it on Board Game Bliss and it was $55 Canadian! In comparison to my FLGS in Winnipeg, I just bought Le Havre for 62+, and it was 70 at Source. That is in local currencies as well.

That being said, I am weak and ended up buying Hive, Blood Bowl Team Manager and Patchwork from Fantasy Flight which are all great.

Top Bottom