• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Paying 10 bucks to lose dead weight in my collection > paying full price for another game, personally.
Pretty much. I love trading and math trades get me the most bang for my buck.
I am drawn to Kanban. The board is hypnotizing. Anyone own or play it?
I own and have played it once. It's really good, I just haven't had the opportunity to play it again. If you've played Vital Lacerda's other games (Vinhos, CO2) you know what to expect. If you haven't a) you are missing out and b) he designs heavy Euros that don't allow for much wiggle room. For example, in Vinhos you only get something like 12 actions for the entire game. The board is indeed sweet. It looks busy as shit, but you get used to it and it's like being able to read the Matrix...ok maybe not exactly like that but it gets less busy as the game goes on.

Finally opened my copy of Five Tribes I picked up at Gencon last year and played it over lunch with co-workers. We were all of the opinion that it was quite excellent. Lots of different ways to win, mechanics are not too difficult to grasp, but in the early game it is kind of an analysis paralysis nightmare for some.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I honestly have never enjoyed team games that weren't party games.

I wish there were more. Feel like they would be great but there just hasn't been a lot of thoughtful design in this space. My go-to 'team' game is still Time's Up, but TTR: Team Asia is quite good too.

Neverfade

Yeah I can't think of many games that are even-teamed that aren't super light. Cyclades: Titans adds teams with 6 players - I should pick that up.

Innovation 2 vs 2 isn't bad.

joelseph

Pretty much. I love trading and math trades get me the most bang for my buck.

I own and have played it once. It's really good, I just haven't had the opportunity to play it again. If you've played Vital Lacerda's other games (Vinhos, CO2) you know what to expect. If you haven't a) you are missing out and b) he designs heavy Euros that don't allow for much wiggle room. For example, in Vinhos you only get something like 12 actions for the entire game. The board is indeed sweet. It looks busy as shit, but you get used to it and it's like being able to read the Matrix...ok maybe not exactly like that but it gets less busy as the game goes on.

Have you played Panamax? Feel like if I'm going to get a couple heavy euros from 2014 both of them shouldn't be business simulations..

Xater

Because I am not sure if I will like that Marco Polo game I decided to finally pick up Power Grid Deluxe. I really wanted to upgrade to that version. I like all the stuff they changed for it.

Because I am not sure if I will like that Marco Polo game I decided to finally pick up Power Grid Deluxe. I really wanted to upgrade to that version. I like all the stuff they changed for it.

I got it recently too, I hope it takes off. Doesn't seem to be very popular in bgg.

Xater

I got it recently too, I hope it takes off. Doesn't seem to be very popular in bgg.

I love the game and the subtle rule changes and the better components made me get it. Got rid of my old Power Grid stuff. There is enough variability in here to have fun with.

Dragoshi1

Got Apex, but I wish there was a more in depth tutorial for it.

I watched the official videos for setting up the table for the game, but nothing concrete on how to begin, and more or less everything else concerning actual gameplay.

The art at least is cool. Playing as a family of Dinosaurs is pretty awesome.

Faiz

I love the game and the subtle rule changes and the better components made me get it. Got rid of my old Power Grid stuff. There is enough variability in here to have fun with.

I wasn't aware there were rule changes I thought this was just a components upgrade. What is different?

Xater

Different plants/resources, different map (i think), a variant for 2p.

Small plants are now shuffled into the main deck so they will appear later int he game. They also have a different card back so you can tell if a big plant or a small plant is coming up next.

Along the same vein as the sleeving topic that just came up and Power Grid, does anyone trick out their favorite board games? Some examples include:

- The custom meeples for Lords of the Waterdeep
- Eclipse resource trays

For Power Grid, I just backed this kickstarter for custom resources instead of the cubes they currently are. One of the biggest complaints is people having a hard time distinguishing coal and oil and this definitely takes care of it.

Xater

Along the same vein as the sleeving topic that just came up and Power Grid, does anyone trick out their favorite board games? Some examples include:

- Eclipse resource trays

For Power Grid, I just backed this kickstarter for custom resources instead of the cubes they currently are. One of the biggest complaints is people having a hard time distinguishing coal and oil and this definitely takes care of it.

Well not an issue in the Deluxe version ;)

pic2285198_md.jpg

I try and trick out my games, yes. From painting the miniatures to creating or buying custom pieces/tokens. I consider a good foam core divider as a nice way to start customizing your games to your preference. Every little thing helps. For instance, I went around all of the edging on my Space Hulk tiles with a black permanent marker. It's a subtle difference, but boy does it look better on the table!

I replaced the wooden trucks in the Great Heartland with trucks that can actually hold the good cubes. Plays great with two players, not sure if there are issues with the added truck size with four.

I also replaced the paper money in Lords of Vegas with poker chips and the lot markers with Penny Gems.

The things people do for their hobby ...

xC8Rae3l.jpg

I finally got around to play a few games this weekend. The first game was pretty messy (rules confusion - especially with movements and combat) dooms filled up fairly quick, so I start another game and was a little better but was still a little overwhelming even with Eldritch Horror experience. Eldritch was much more streamline and the theme was more tightly control and less of a random chance and I was starting to regret jumping in by buying the entire lot of Arkham Horror. I put the game away (which almost take as much time as playing the game).

I started new game last night after watching video (they are over a year old) by Ricky Royal and Tragic (I love his enthusiasm and narration) and got better idea of how the game flow and what I should be doing. This last game went much better and I was surprise that there was actually quite a bit of risk management and some strategy in AH (though it still mostly throwing dices and go on a ride). The guy I bought the lot from separated out all his expansions and I play with just the core set I think I will only add in one expansion at a time so the game won't be so diluted. After the last game, I can see that Arkham is quite a bit differences from Eldritch Horror, the monsters movements and pre-planning your skill slider along with gate management really set this game apart from Eldritch. I find the test to be much more forgiving than Eldritch but monsters are tougher to beat in the beginning and you really feel sense of dread. In Eldritch you can get away with ignoring the gate and monsters and concentrate on Mystery solving (which gave that game more variety but it does lessen the sense of urgency that come with gate and monster running rampant in Arkham). The game has a lot of random element yet it still come together pretty spectacularly, I don't know many game that let me have a psychologist negotiated with the axe swinging maniac with a dynamite stick and a student (and part time banker) fished a Tommy gun out of a river and used it to blow away Lizard-man that stood between her and the final Gate.

Anyway, I love it and can't wait to set up next game and may be add in one of the expansions, I figure the rules will be less confusing and easier to keep track on my next go.

joelseph

I replaced the wooden trucks in the Great Heartland with trucks that can actually hold the good cubes. Plays great with two players, not sure if there are issues with the added truck size with four.

I also replaced the paper money in Lords of Vegas with poker chips and the lot markers with Penny Gems.

The things people do for their hobby ...

Chance of a link for those trucks?

I was thinking Micro Machines would be good for Kanban. I got my eye so hard on that game.

Chance of a link for those trucks?

I was thinking Micro Machines would be good for Kanban. I got my eye so hard on that game.

I was about to say "you're in luck!", but when I went to find you a link, I noticed it's no longer at the BGG Store. Contact them and see if they just have anymore first (it might just be de-listed). If not, PM me. Depending on the color, I have extras I can send you.

Edit: I took a peek at Kanban and these trucks might be too large. The truck beds can hold 4 (2x2) cubes in them, so they're easily 50% larger than the cars I see in the pics for Kanban. If you're still interested, definitely send me a PM. But if you're looking for replacement vehicles, your Micro Machines idea is a safer bet.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
xC8Rae3l.jpg

I finally got around to play a few games this weekend. The first game was pretty messy (rules confusion - especially with movements and combat) dooms filled up fairly quick, so I start another game and was a little better but was still a little overwhelming even with Eldritch Horror experience. Eldritch was much more streamline and the theme was more tightly control and less of a random chance and I was starting to regret jumping in by buying the entire lot of Arkham Horror. I put the game away (which almost take as much time as playing the game).

I started new game last night after watching video (they are over a year old) by Ricky Royal and Tragic (I love his enthusiasm and narration) and got better idea of how the game flow and what I should be doing. This last game went much better and I was surprise that there was actually quite a bit of risk management and some strategy in AH (though it still mostly throwing dices and go on a ride). The guy I bought the lot from separated out all his expansions and I play with just the core set I think I will only add in one expansion at a time so the game won't be so diluted. After the last game, I can see that Arkham is quite a bit differences from Eldritch Horror, the monsters movements and pre-planning your skill slider along with gate management really set this game apart from Eldritch. I find the test to be much more forgiving than Eldritch but monsters are tougher to beat in the beginning and you really feel sense of dread. In Eldritch you can get away with ignoring the gate and monsters and concentrate on Mystery solving (which gave that game more variety but it does lessen the sense of urgency that come with gate and monster running rampant in Arkham). The game has a lot of random element yet it still come together pretty spectacularly, I don't know many game that let me have a psychologist negotiated with the axe swinging maniac with a dynamite stick and a student (and part time banker) fished a Tommy gun out of a river and used it to blow away Lizard-man that stood between her and the final Gate.

Anyway, I love it and can't wait to set up next game and may be add in one of the expansions, I figure the rules will be less confusing and easier to keep track on my next go.

Nice. In some ways I think I like Arkham more. Just wish some of the locations would get visited/utilized more.

ultron87

Has anyone here played Blueprints? I saw the game today and it looks interesting.

I did last weekend. Posted impressions earlier.

Blueprints:

Light game where you're selecting dice to stack up in a tower to try and score the most points. The only actual interaction between players is which dice you select from the available pile of building materials. Everyone's towers and blueprints are concealed behind screens, so you can't just see exactly what someone is going for. You can, however, pay attention to the dice they're grabbing and try and wreck them by edging them out of the dice they need to complete one of the public goals. Though playing that way probably just makes your tower less good. I liked it as a nice little light game.

I dunno if I'd buy it for the price I'm seeing it on Amazon right now since it is pretty light.

fenners

Yeah it looks like a nice filler in the 10-12€ pice range like Abluxen or Mascarade. The way you build seems to be somewhat tactical so it's not too brainless.

Heh, we played Blueprints just yesterday at lunch. It's definitely /very/ light. Some tactical play, but not much. I enjoy it, but I wouldn't buy it myself, and definitely don't play it two players only - the game's scoring system really doesn't work well with just two players IMO.

joelseph

I was about to say "you're in luck!", but when I went to find you a link, I noticed it's no longer at the BGG Store. Contact them and see if they just have anymore first (it might just be de-listed). If not, PM me. Depending on the color, I have extras I can send you.

Edit: I took a peek at Kanban and these trucks might be too large. The truck beds can hold 4 (2x2) cubes in them, so they're easily 50% larger than the cars I see in the pics for Kanban. If you're still interested, definitely send me a PM. But if you're looking for replacement vehicles, your Micro Machines idea is a safer bet.

Hey thanks man. I will follow up with the store first. This would be for Truckers. I don't own Kanban yet. Everyone have a good weekend, I will have a full report of games played when I return on Monday!

Nice. In some ways I think I like Arkham more. Just wish some of the locations would get visited/utilized more.

BGG and YouTube seems to recommend adding Dunwich Horror to the core set, is that for the same reason as adding Forgotten Lore to Eldritch? I find Forgotten Lore really make Eldritch a lot tougher especially but it does add quite a bit to the card pool especially location encounters that often get repeat (like Tokyo where we love to abuse and just sat there to kill monsters, another thing that make monster in Eldritch less of a threat unlike Arkham.

Eldritch is definitely a better game and definitely less housekeeping (only Reckoning effect are tedious to track and that only happen once every so often) but I am leaning toward Arkham as my prefer game, that said they both gave quite a bit difference experience for me and probably will be playing both Arkham for solo and Eldritch for group gaming.

Thunderbirds and Edison VS Tesla will be the first boardgame I back on Kickstarter. My brother in law back quite a few but he said he was disappointed by many of them and stop backing. I hope these two don't sour my experience with Kickstarter.

Neverfade

Anyone check out Hand of Fate? Obviously a video game but it feels tabletop-ish.

It's like one part deck builder, one part choose your own adventure, one part arkham (or other random event/chance game of your choice), and one part Batman: Arkham combat.

Starts off pretty easy but is starting to turn into a decent challenge. I just unlocked endless mode where supposedly the real chunky bits of finding new encounters and items lies.

Xater

Anyone check out Hand of Fate? Obviously a video game but it feels tabletop-ish.

It's like one part deck builder, one part choose your own adventure, one part arkham (or other random event/chance game of your choice), and one part Batman: Arkham combat.

Starts off pretty easy but is starting to turn into a decent challenge. I just unlocked endless mode where supposedly the real chunky bits of finding new encounters and items lies.

Yeah I have been playing this as well. It's really fun.

Definitely gets challenging as you progress in story mode. Absolutely loving it as well.

- Eclipse resource trays

I am making custom dice tray and monster cup from cigar box for thematic feel for Arkham Horror files games, I am glad I am not the only crazy one.

Lyng

Tonight I take the plunch into solo gaming with Mage Knight. Cant wait to get started, seems like such a great way to implement deckbuilding and remove the luckfactor that often hampers adventure games.

ParityBit

I really disliked the game setup this year at PAX. I hated having to go through the video game area to find board games and vendors. Magic also took up a lot of space and reserved tables where every where.

Did anyone else feel this way?

I did get to play some games though, and I picked up Boss Monster which was pretty fun!

Karkador

Banned
I really disliked the game setup this year at PAX. I hated having to go through the video game area to find board games and vendors. Magic also took up a lot of space and reserved tables where every where.

Did anyone else feel this way?

I did get to play some games though, and I picked up Boss Monster which was pretty fun!

Were you there last year? I didn't go this year...were the board games now on the same floor as the videogames? What was downstairs?

ParityBit

Were you there last year? I didn't go this year...were the board games now on the same floor as the videogames? What was downstairs?

I did not go last year (infant son!) but I did go the previous couple years.

First, they did not extend out the large walls like they usually did which helped keep noise out, and I know some of the vendors were very unhappy with the placement/setup.

Second, there were a couple of sponsored areas for independent game developers within the main video game section. It was very loud and the tables were all squished within a set area. I could not even get into the middle tables to really see/play them.

Third, the setup for the free tables did not work well with pick-up games, being taught games. When I went shopping for games, I had problems finding the vendors I wanted to, outside of the big two (Battlegrounds and Pandemonium which happened to be right across from each other)

Experien

New Myth Kickstarter up...reprinted rules/cards, clear distinction between Adventure & Story, two big expansions (sewer gators & Egyptian creatures), two new characters, and some new mechanics like alternate leveling for heroes.

Anyone else get into this game?

Top Bottom