• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

I designed my playmats to be printed at home and sleeved with a card sleeve.
I did that because so many of the other designs out there are made to be sent off to prin5 overseas, on rather oversized mats. So I wanted to make something with a very small footprint that you could make at home.

FxhACxP.jpg

D&D

HKz3tjb.jpg

X-Men

They look great and very portable. I just glue a copy of the one in the rule book to a foam board.

joelseph

What does the guild afford us? A messageboard?

I was using my buddylist as a way to snope on ya'll. Trying to use the site more.

I am up for a guild and would put some gold towards it.

joelseph

Ok I joined the guild. There are quite a few members! I will use this to build my stalking list!

Now we need to have a gaf microbadge created!!

Phthisis

Should get Commands and Colors: Ancients tomorrow. I love the system in other games and really just don't have time for Great Battle of History or any really crazy system like that for my Ancient stuff. My first time stickering blocks! Can't be any worse than punching and clipping counters.

You'll be fine. I find the block stickering to be kind of zen. I stickered every single C&C Ancients and Napoleonics expansion and core set over a two week period. Something like 2500 blocks.

C&C Ancients is a great game; I'm actually working on a video series right now with a friend where we play through every single Ancients scenario in every expansion in chronological order, starting from the earliest battles and going to the most recent, and then discussing kind of what we can learn from the system about history and warfare in that epoch. It's been fun. Just a really fun, fast, exciting game.

Ohnonono

You'll be fine. I find the block stickering to be kind of zen. I stickered every single C&C Ancients and Napoleonics expansion and core set over a two week period. Something like 2500 blocks.

C&C Ancients is a great game; I'm actually working on a video series right now with a friend where we play through every single Ancients scenario in every expansion in chronological order, starting from the earliest battles and going to the most recent, and then discussing kind of what we can learn from the system about history and warfare in that epoch. It's been fun. Just a really fun, fast, exciting game.

Once I can I will get expansion 1 and the Spartan expansion. Then go from there. Looks great.

Phthisis

Once I can I will get expansion 1 and the Spartan expansion. Then go from there. Looks great.

Spartan expansion is cool because it introduces elite Spartan hoplites (most dense melee unit in the game), but also provides retroactive scenario setups for battles in the core game and Expansion 1 that should have featured Sparta, but couldn't because the Sparta expansion didn't exist yet. So that's a great pair to start with.

I've also heard that GMT and Richard Borg are reworking Expansion 5 (the one that introduced Epic Ancients) for a re-release at some point.

Forgive my lack of knowledge but what do these guilds do? Or what are their purpose? I've only ever used BGG as like a FAQ and keep track of games I owned.
I don't really know! But I can speculate:

They're probably set to organize and discuss board gaming meetups and events. Would have to be regional or online gaming

Getting every expansion with the base set for Legendary Marvel was pretty overwhlming. It's like 1500 goddamn cards. It took me 2 nights and about 4.5 hours to organize it all and I'm not entirely staisfied with how I did it. Same with Warhammer Conquest, really. FF could easily have made the base box much better for card storage. I hope the Tyranid expansion fixes that problem, but I'm not holding my breath.

On the other hand, the Smash Up Big Box is amazing. The Pretty Pretty expansion came with 4 beautiful dividers and fit in the Big Box with all the other expansions with considerable room to grow. I put away this expansion first and it served to highlight the storage flaws with both Legendary and Conquest. I'll probably make tuck boxes for Conquest and split the Legendary cards between 2 different boxes.

The organizing is pretty fun though :p

I'm with you, man. I secretly love organizing a new game addition. I think I'm ready to quit sleeving cards but I still have some unused packs left so I'm still doing it till I run out. Since sleeved cards usually won't fit back in the box, I spend time making it work. I have a spare plano organizer that I used for the miniatures and chits for my latest game too, a job well done.

Yeah, it's oddly satisfying to me. It's one of the reasons I tend toget a base game and all it's expansions at once.

But man, Legendary was almost too much.

Just read a news article about GenCon potentially leaving the state of Indiana if they pass that "Religious Freedom" bill. I think they're looking for an excuse to leave anyway, but it's interesting nonetheless.

fenners

I'm with you, man. I secretly love organizing a new game addition. I think I'm ready to quit sleeving cards but I still have some unused packs left so I'm still doing it till I run out. Since sleeved cards usually won't fit back in the box, I spend time making it work. I have a spare plano organizer that I used for the miniatures and chits for my latest game too, a job well done.

I'm an organiser too. I think I've spent more time re-organising Arkham Horror & Lord of the Rings LCG than I have played 'em.

Just read a news article about GenCon potentially leaving the state of Indiana if they pass that "Religious Freedom" bill. I think they're looking for an excuse to leave anyway, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Believe they are in contract for several years though, not sure on cancellation penalty on that but not sure how much of a real threat they are making.

Getting every expansion with the base set for Legendary Marvel was pretty overwhlming. It's like 1500 goddamn cards. It took me 2 nights and about 4.5 hours to organize it all and I'm not entirely staisfied with how I did it. Same with Warhammer Conquest, really. FF could easily have made the base box much better for card storage. I hope the Tyranid expansion fixes that problem, but I'm not holding my breath.

On the other hand, the Smash Up Big Box is amazing. The Pretty Pretty expansion came with 4 beautiful dividers and fit in the Big Box with all the other expansions with considerable room to grow. I put away this expansion first and it served to highlight the storage flaws with both Legendary and Conquest. I'll probably make tuck boxes for Conquest and split the Legendary cards between 2 different boxes.

FFG box insert is always a joke it's like they secretly help subsidized foam board industry. I wish my family like Legendary more I would like to get more expansion.

NEO0MJ

Just got Kemet. At first I thought the board was torn because of shipping/bad QC and got angry but then I noticed that it was intentionally cut so it can be folded, lol.

Gonna play it with friends tomorrow. What are some good tricks so I can claim the first game?

Neverfade

Just got Kemet. At first I thought the board was torn because of shipping/bad QC and got angry but then I noticed that it was intentionally cut so it can be folded, lol.

Gonna play it with friends tomorrow. What are some good tricks so I can claim the first game?

Offense > Defense. If you're on the wrong end of this, strong blue will counter.

The red tile initiative is very strong but won't win the game alone. A lot of new players over value it.

White will make you rich and help control the board.

I suggest picking two colors and focusing. Don't spread too thin.

And unless you're snapping up a power tile, go as late in the turn as possible.

EYEL1NER

Ok I joined the guild. There are quite a few members! I will use this to build my stalking list!

Now we need to have a gaf microbadge created!!
I did up a couple microbadges while at work but they were just flat MSPaint pixelated GAF logos. I wanted to submit them a while ago but I didn't think they were good enough. Maybe they are though, I don't know. I might submit them to the microbadge discussion thread for suggestions. A lot of people seem to recreate tiny complex album covers in Photoshop and stuff though and all I could do was make a proper-sized canvas in Paint and then add color pixel-by-pixel when zoomed in, as I have literally no other options for art or resizing an image and making the background transparent. No installable software and every image editing site out there is blocked.

My BGG name is the same as it is here too: eyel1ner

I'm only a beginner with about 4 months of experience and a starter's collection but I joined too! Collection is up to date, but I need to play them some more so I can rate them.

I try to only spend around 100 euros per month on boardgames but that never actually happened

Next planned purchases:

April Wave
Bruges
Troyes
Letters from Whitechapel

May Wave
Small World
Seasons
Ghost Stories

I also really need Agricola I guess. It's a sickness. It's not that I needed a new hobby either :D

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I actually think this is a nice double move for the GenCon folks as the hotel situation in Indy is frankly untenable.

I like the show in Indy, but personally like the statement being made. The show has moved before. I think it has to stay somewhere in the Midwest because of the large number of warehouses there.

I actually think this is a nice double move for the GenCon folks as the hotel situation in Indy is frankly untenable.

I like the show in Indy, but personally like the statement being made. The show has moved before. I think it has to stay somewhere in the Midwest because of the large number of warehouses there.

They can technically host GenCon Indianapolis until 2020. Just rent a small room and advertise it for people who like to hate. Start "another" GenCon somewhere else that will be the newly moved one. A few years back, the GenCon site was even set up as if GenCon was one entity, GenCon Indianapolis was a separate thing.

Edit: Oh, that ambiguity was because there was a SoCal Gen Con years back. Wow, never heard of that

joelseph

Nowhere else comes close to Indy's hotels. McCormick/Rosemont in Chicago would be a nightmare.

Karkador

Banned
It seems to me like the bigger a con gets, the more it needs to split into several events in different times/places. It spreads the demand more evenly.
Imagine if Comic-Con was still trying to be a single date and location.

I wish BGG had maybe tried running a second BGGcon in another location, instead of this weird cruise ship stuff (which, IIRC, is still based out of Texas)

fenners

It seems to me like the bigger a con gets, the more it needs to split into several events in different times/places. It spreads the demand more evenly.
Imagine if Comic-Con was still trying to be a single date and location.

I wish BGG had maybe tried running a second BGGcon in another location, instead of this weird cruise ship stuff (which, IIRC, is still based out of Texas)

They're running a second con earlier in the year at the same location now - BGG.FAM. It'll do nothing to reduce congestion.

NEO0MJ

Offense > Defense. If you're on the wrong end of this, strong blue will counter.

The red tile initiative is very strong but won't win the game alone. A lot of new players over value it.

White will make you rich and help control the board.

I suggest picking two colors and focusing. Don't spread too thin.

And unless you're snapping up a power tile, go as late in the turn as possible.

Thanks for the tips. Gonna check some videos as well. It seems everyone is excited to play it and is doing research.

Draxal

Manhattan has hotels and Javitz has its own subway stop! /notbiased

Javitz is just too small now, hence all the bitching about building a new convention center, and just in general Indianapolis is perfect for these large meetings (NFL combine takes place there for a reason).

I'm one of those who'd much have three regional cons (one west coast, one midwest, one east).

Again, Orlando, the OCC is one of the largest convention centers in the US and has more hotels around it than anywhere else in the US just because of it being close to Disney/Universal area.

It would be perfect place for a huge con like Indy, the OCC center area blows away what Indy can handle, but I'm sure it's also a lot more expensive to do a con there. Indy is not really a prime hot spot, Gencon is one of the few big things to happen there, so I imagine they have one sweet deal locked in with the city, they aren't going to get that elsewhere. Indy is awesome place, but Gencon outgrew it. They either need to move or its just going to get stuck being a capped event type deal.

Or seriously go back and remove all the non gaming shit from Gencon, get rid of the films, anime, costuming, etc. Trim down the fat, make it pure gaming once again.

Cosplay isn't really the problem, the other stuff is. The "video game" room is a waste of space every year.

I'm kind of expecting Asmodee and Fantasy Flight to start their own Con somewhere. They're definitely big enough now.

Draxal

Cosplay isn't really the problem, the other stuff is. The "video game" room is a waste of space every year.

I'm kind of expecting Asmodee and Fantasy Flight to start their own Con somewhere. They're definitely big enough now.

Think Fantasy Filght has their own gaming center in Roseville,MN kinda wish they partnered with some regional stores for some of these as well, but that's a pipe dream.

ultron87

I really don't like the idea of limiting Gen Con events to what someone defines as appropriate for the convention. One of the reasons it is awesome is that anyone can start an event and run it if attendees are interested.I really like the large swathe of nerd culture that it appeals to. It is great that I can do a Magic draft, while another friend is off at some panel on writing and another is off roaming the area with all the artists and then we can all come together at the end of the day to watch something like the Cosplay competition. Sure, it is theoretically a "gaming" convention, but I'd hate to take the convention away from all the people who love it for other reasons. Especially when it has grown into the convention it is because of those people attending year after year.

It's not the cosplay itself ppl do, but the cosplay events being wastes of space. Typically you have to pay for each room you are using at a convention center, so many rooms at Gencon are wasted with these other events and many of which are not popular at all, so many big empty rooms of recurring events no one is going to. Yet other popular gaming events are constantly running out of their space.

I really don't like the idea of limiting Gen Con events to what someone defines as appropriate for the convention. One of the reasons it is awesome is that anyone can start an event and run it if attendees are interested.I really like the large swathe of nerd culture that it appeals to. It is great that I can do a Magic draft, while another friend is off at some panel on writing and another is off roaming the area with all the artists and then we can all come together at the end of the day to watch something like the Cosplay competition. Sure, it is theoretically a "gaming" convention, but I'd hate to take the convention away from all the people who love it for other reasons. Especially when it has grown into the convention it is because of those people attending year after year.

I don't really see anyone going to gencon for other than gaming really, it has alot of other events, but it doesn't really have enough focus on any of it. If you want to go cosplay, there are better places to do it, it's not even a big thing at a place like gencon. Lot of the smaller events taking up space are not popular either. Chainmail teddy bear class? This has to take up a room and repeat the entire weekend all day? Rio Grande had a tiny room to demo in, but you had arts and crafts stuff in a bigger room and its empty. It's alot of wasted space, the con is just getting cluttered and losing focus.

ultron87

I don't really see anyone going to gencon for other than gaming really, it has alot of other events, but it doesn't really have enough focus on any of it. If you want to go cosplay, there are better places to do it, it's not even a big thing at a place like gencon. Lot of the smaller events taking up space are not popular either. Chainmail teddy bear class? This has to take up a room and repeat the entire weekend all day? Rio Grande had a tiny room to demo in, but you had arts and crafts stuff in a bigger room and its empty. It's alot of wasted space, the con is just getting cluttered and losing focus.

I agree that they could probably apportion the space better in certain situations but people only going for gaming isn't my experience at all. I've met people that go there for panels, anime, cosplay, or LARPing. They might enjoy an occasional game, but that's not the only or primary reason they're there. There's basically an entire hotel's conference space devoted to the anime stuff, for example. It's like a mini-convention in itself.

Yes, there are probably conventions specifically dedicated to most of this stuff, but there are conventions devoted specifically to the playing of board games too. Gen Con has naturally grown to a convergence of all these things. That's what the show is now. Taking the convention away from people that like it for reasons that aren't "games" just because it is bigger now would be crappy. The downtown hotel situation isn't great right now, but I'd be super disappointed if they decided cutting off an arm of the convention was the best way to fix it. I know some of my friends would stop going if that happened.

I agree that they could probably apportion the space better in certain situations but people only going for gaming isn't my experience at all. I've met people that go there for panels, anime, cosplay, or LARPing. They might enjoy an occasional game, but that's not the only or primary reason they're there. There's basically an entire hotel's conference space devoted to the anime stuff, for example. It's like a mini-convention in itself.

Yes, there are probably conventions specifically dedicated to most of this stuff, but there are conventions devoted specifically to the playing of board games too. Gen Con has naturally grown to a convergence of all these things. That's what the show is now. Taking the convention away from people that like it for reasons that aren't "games" just because it is bigger now would be crappy. The downtown hotel situation isn't great right now, but I'd be super disappointed if they decided cutting off an arm of the convention was the best way to fix it. I know some of my friends would stop going if that happened.

It's all the stupid side shit that make nerd conventions so much fun IMO. That includes everything from Blizzcon, PAX, GenCon, Comicons, ect. Even the Adult Entertainment Expo has a huge mix of tangentially related things at their convention. It's a congregation and confluence of every fringe group related to a particular subject. Like it or not, it's all intertwined and you will never be able to un-twine them.

All the side stuff is also very important to give the non-nerds something interesting to do. I'm talking about spouses, kids, friends, ect. that may attend with a fan but not be super into the particular Con subject itself. My wife will go to any one of these in the drop of a hat to people watch. The weirder the better. She loves this stuff.

Top Bottom