• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Experien

Five day shipping CSI? Step up your game. I knew I should've used Amazon Prime for that entire order. That stuff arrived 3 days ago!

I was going to wait and open everything at once, but I am weak. I'm tearing into my Amazon portion tonight.

Is that 5 day only shipping or also "packing/finding product?" Miniature Market is starting to do that; two days of finding the product before shipping.

joelseph

They are both switching to Smartpost AFAIK which adds a day or two while FedEx hands off to USPS for the residential leg of trip.

They are both switching to Smartpost AFAIK which adds a day or two while FedEx hands off to USPS for the residential leg of trip.

Yeah, this is the worst, I am waiting for my coffee to show up and it spend a day or two being hand off from FedEx to USPS.

I noticed something lately about Amazon is the promise ship time gotten worst. I can always count on the item arrive in 2 days or 3 days max if I order really late in the day. Now when I order sometimes I have two days free shipping but often time the time is actually 3 days even when I place order early. I have items that quote as guarantee shipping but it's 4 days (order place Monday but doesn't expect to arrive Thursday and the item has Prime shipping). That said if I order the coffee from Amazon it would have been here already and I wouldn't be stuck drinking instant this morning.

Karkador

Banned

SmartPost is the FedEx "hand it off to USPS" method.

I think UPS's is Mail Innovations

Amazon in my area tends to use Lasership

FWIW, CoolStuff shipped my games last week on Thursday, the tracking said it was "Out for Delivery" on Saturday, but it actually showed up on Monday.

Yeah, this is the worst, I am waiting for my coffee to show up and it spend a day or two being hand off from FedEx to USPS.

I noticed something lately about Amazon is the promise ship time gotten worst. I can always count on the item arrive in 2 days or 3 days max if I order really late in the day. Now when I order sometimes I have two days free shipping but often time the time is actually 3 days even when I place order early. I have items that quote as guarantee shipping but it's 4 days (order place Monday but doesn't expect to arrive Thursday and the item has Prime shipping). That said if I order the coffee from Amazon it would have been here already and I wouldn't be stuck drinking instant this morning.

Yea it's getting worse all around, everyone keeps raising their shipping rates, no one ever reduces their costs. FedEx and UPS constantly increase their rates cause of fuel costs, but of course when fuel goes down, the rates don't come down.... Everyone is looking for cost cutting on shipping, especially when these companies are giving away free shipping.

Things are just going to continually get worse, not better

Whenever this happens, call Amazon and they wil make it right one way or another. They're really awesome about that.

Where would I go about getting an image made into a card game mat? Been enjoying Warfighter but like most DVG games, the production values are total shit. Found a nice custom board someone made, and would love to get it printed out on card mat like material.

Where would I go about getting an image made into a card game mat? Been enjoying Warfighter but like most DVG games, the production values are total shit. Found a nice custom board someone made, and would love to get it printed out on card mat like material.

Custom mouse pads on artscow seem to be like a common option, or are these too small?

It would need to be a little bigger than your average card game mat. Something closer in size to like the game mat included in Legendary
Inked playmats is running a sale now and they have custom two player playmats that might work. Just keep in mind that the reason for the sale is because their materials are being held up due to the dock strike so you have to wait longer than normal to get your order.

I've used them before and their printing is great. They will generally print you anything you want too.

If you like GtR and Innovation then you'll like Impulse too. Its very Chudyk. Order!

Amazing game.

Okay, I'll start with seeing if it's in Card Kingdom's library next time I'm there, and give it a whirl (and/or impulse buy it if cheap, pun intended).

I remember really enjoying escape from fireball island as a kid. Just a cool ass board.

My favorite terrible game ever

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Inked playmats is running a sale now and they have custom two player playmats that might work. Just keep in mind that the reason for the sale is because their materials are being held up due to the dock strike so you have to wait longer than normal to get your order.

I've used them before and their printing is great. They will generally print you anything you want too.

Yeah, they really do an amazing job.

Finished the campaign today and what a fun and wonderful ride. I like that the expansion gave such vary gameplay and each scenario feel differ than the one before. I did find the ship mission to be a bit dull and I don't know if I play it wrong but overall it was much easier than the base game. If any of you guys play this expansion was this your experience also? The beach mini-games at the end seems pointless to me (I ask about this on BGG) but probably got added for game with more players and may be less things to save. I really enjoy game that oozing with theme and story and this one really deliver.

BSLsk3X.jpg

Once I get some extra cash I think I'm going to pick it up. Looks great and I love co-op games.

The base game will probably keep you busy for a long time both co-op and solo. And the game is beautiful. This game to me is like a Euro- worker placement version of Arkham Horror.

Apenheul

I love Robinson Crusoe and have the expansion but never played it. The base game is definitely in my top 5 cooperative board games.

I love Robinson Crusoe and have the expansion but never played it. The base game is definitely in my top 5 cooperative board games.

The expansion changed the game quite a bit, and personally I don't know if it's suit for group play as the entire campaign can run long (though you can just take snap shot of the game state and resume). I find it's a fun solo romp and the scoring at the end though not without a flaw keep you want to come back.

I have a get together next week with family and looking for something easy but fun for everyone, I am looking at Hanabi or Pandemic the Cure. Hanabi look fun but I think it might cause a lot of anxiety, Pandemic the Cure look pretty fun, we love regular Pandemic and this take out all the set up time, plus it's solo-able (I think).

I have a get together next week with family and looking for something easy but fun for everyone, I am looking at Hanabi or Pandemic the Cure. Hanabi look fun but I think it might cause a lot of anxiety, Pandemic the Cure look pretty fun, we love regular Pandemic and this take out all the set up time, plus it's solo-able (I think).

Never played Hanabi, but have played Pandemic The Cure a few times. Like it a lot. Simpler version of the original game, but less space and less setup time. Played solo a few times, too.

Just like the original, shit gets real very quick.

daevv

Hopefully gonna try Dead of Winter tomorrow. The guy who owns it only played it once I believe so I'll be watching a few how to play vids before I go. Any obsecure or easily overlooked rules I should look out for?

Hopefully gonna try Dead of Winter tomorrow. The guy who owns it only played it once I believe so I'll be watching a few how to play vids before I go. Any obsecure or easily overlooked rules I should look out for?

Damn, good for you. I spent so much time waiting for DoW to be available and now that I have it I cant get everyone to sit down and play. We hang around talking about movies while I attempt to explain the rules (which Im not even 100% on)

If you are keen to play it 'true to rules' then make sure you understand the card/equipment trading rules. Their are a few things like you can only request items during your own turn, items can only be added to the crisis on your turn and any received items cannot be stored and must be used immediately (or at least, that is how I remember it, it's been a while since I've played). I've found it fairly easy to forget these rules once the game starts.

Xero

played at my local dnd dice masters tournament and had a lot of fun. Definitely has a different feel, and seems a bit more of a slower burn then the x-men games. That said the wife and I are super excited about the DC set, as we are much bigger dc fans then marvel.

Kitbash

The rule that trips up every new group I play with is the passing of the first player marker. At the end of each round, the first player marker is passed counter-clockwise. So whoever goes last in a round gets to go first in the next round. It's done this way for a good reason (related to downtime) but can take some getting used to.

Also, it's easy to miss the requirements on some of the characters' special abilities. If the ability starts with a number, such as (4+), it costs a die to use. If it lists a location, it can only be used at that location. And there's a typo on the cook's ability: It says (4) but should be (4+).

Mista Koo

Played Machi Koro, Sheriff of Nottingham, and Stone Age Friday night.

In Machi Koro only one guy went offensive (red cards) and he destroyed us. At the end of the game we all had one roll that was the jackpot, but he won because he had one less landmark to build.
Same guy won Sheriff of Nottingham. He won because he never lied but no one trusted him. Another guy did the same but no one doubted him so he ended up in last place lol.
In Stone Age I was too focused on the guy who maximized his agriculture and the guy who maximized his tools, thus I missed the 3rd guy who took all the civilization cards but the four I had. Stopping him wouldn't have made me win so I tried maximizing my points.

Dragoshi1

Speaking of D&D Dice Masters, I just uploaded my play mat design to BGG

And speaking of playmats, for Dice Masters in General, how does one go about printing one if one does not have a printer with specialized paper/material?

Is there somewhere that can make one out of vinyl or something in any size I want? Preferably somewhere local and physical I can get to. I bought this sweet game table from Walmart that is ironically perfectly designed for dice masters, but the size of the playmat can only be so wide and long.

Karkador

Banned
And speaking of playmats, for Dice Masters in General, how does one go about printing one if one does not have a printer with specialized paper/material?

Is there somewhere that can make one out of vinyl or something in any size I want? Preferably somewhere local and physical I can get to. I bought this sweet game table from Walmart that is ironically perfectly designed for dice masters, but the size of the playmat can only be so wide and long.

I designed my playmats to be printed at home and sleeved with a card sleeve.
I did that because so many of the other designs out there are made to be sent off to prin5 overseas, on rather oversized mats. So I wanted to make something with a very small footprint that you could make at home.

FxhACxP.jpg

D&D

HKz3tjb.jpg

X-Men

Gurrry

Ive been hooked into TTS this entire weekend rather than my brand new PS4.. lol.

I have played Betrayal, Munchkin, Heroquest, and more. Munchkin is really fun and Betrayal might be my favorite game so far. The only hard part is understanding the rules of the haunts.

I still havent sat down to learn Key to The Kingdom. But I really want to start hosting that on TTS!

emag

I have the expansion board but I have so far only played the Britannia side. I really like that board though because it's really cramped. Even with 3 players you will get in each others way in no time and it also work great as a 2 player board. The Germania side has like 2 little rule changes but is otherwise like the big map of the original. Can#t go deeper into it, because like I said I have not played that side. Personally it was worth it just for Britannia.

I had a chance to play the Germania side of the Concordia expansion this weekend and rather enjoyed it. The extra starting hub, the additional movement from ships, and the internal river navigation made the Architect action more versatile than in the base game. The forts/castles balanced this out by effectively being empty regions, so the board wasn't entirely open (the freebie resource never seemed to make much of a difference).

Overall, I wouldn't say that Germania is better or worse than the base game maps, but it certainly changes things up.

Also finally got to try [Rise of] Augustus, which had been on my radar a while back. (It's a light tableau builder with bingo-style resource allocation: a resource chit is drawn out of a bag and simultaneously assigned by all players to a single corresponding resource slot on one of their respective incomplete "buildings", where each completed building provides a special power and/or victory points and qualifies the owner for various first/most goals.) I can see it getting boring after a few plays, but the first was quite fun -- I much preferred it to any of the dice-based "builders" (Risk Express, Elder Sign, Roll Through the Ages) that I've experienced, perhaps as the luck element affected everyone more equitably and had some mitigation. I'm a little surprised that the designer/publisher went with a Roman theme -- a world-civilization or intergalactic colonization theme might have been a better driver of sales.

Dreavus

I've had a lot of fun with Augustus, it hasn't hit the table in a while but it's a good blend between the luck of the draw and strategizing your placements/"missions".

Argent: the Consortium came in the mail a few days back and I'm itching for a chance to play it. It's hard to get these longer game out sometimes.

Gurrry

So i finally set up Key to The Kingdom on TTS and we had a blast! It was really alot of fun. Not sure we played 100 percent correctly, but we did our best. It was a lonnnng game. Probably like 2 hours.

But still fun. I will be hosting more on TTS later tonight. If youre down, PM me or look for the game being played in the browser!

I remember really enjoying escape from fireball island as a kid. Just a cool ass board.

Had to make it up the island and get the treasure and get off the island. But you had to look out for other players summoning the fireball from the top (a red marble you would roll down one of the paths down the top of the mountain hoping it would roll over a space your opponents were and send them back to the beginning.

I had this as well and just loved it, not that I remember the game being fun, but the board was amazing.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Finally got XCOM on the table. I think we all liked the game pretty well. I like the pace of it all and the real time aspect was pretty great. I don;t think it feels too much like actual XCOM but that isn't really a knock against the game.

Any have any opinion on how to measures up to Space Alert? For those who have played both, of course. I got Space Alert half a year ago and we still have not played once.

Jakoo

Hey everyone!

So I have expanded my collection to three games:

Forbidden Desert: My new BG first purchase and it's held up. Since I have played the game the most (since I own it), I do catch myself "quarterbacking" a bit, but one thing I love about this game is that there are literally so many options for each move, even people new to the game can offer legitimately good suggestions on how to move forward. The usage of the sand pieces and the visual indication of how "buried" the land can get really makes the theme immersive and I love the artwork and components of this game. The ship is so unnecessary/awesome.

Survive: Escape From Atlantis (w/ 5-6 Player Expansion): Fun game that anyone can pick up, and the Stronghold version has very gorgeous components that make the set up game very attractive. My only compliant is how easily and quickly your strategies can fall apart and punish you the rest of the round--once some key Meeples are eliminated, you really are out of the game and cannot effectively turn it around. Regardless though, since you can revenge-punish anyone, it keeps the game moving even when you are effectively "out".

Quantum: Favorite game purchased thus far! I love the feeling of no down-time: as soon as your ship dies, you can immediately re-roll it and get back in the game. Every game of Quantum I've played with friends has had a super tight conclusion where if Player A didn't win that turn, Player B or C would have won their next turn. I feel like this is a testament to how balanced and tight the gameplay is.

To further round out my collection, I want to get two more games that satisfy the following "itches"

Another competitive, entry level game: I want to get another light, but competitive, entry level game for my fiancee and friends that aren't into board gaming. Currently I am thinking about getting Takenoko. Does anyone have any thoughts on this one?

A solo game: For my own benefit, I want to get a solo game that I can play while I listen to music or podcasts. I would like a game with a persistent campaign if possible--something I can set up and come back to over multiple sessions where my protagonist grows and tackles new missions/scenarios. Currently, I am thinking about getting Mage Knight, but given how "new" I am to board gaming I don't know if this would be too intimidating to start with. Any suggestions?

ultron87

I had this as well and just loved it, not that I remember the game being fun, but the board was amazing.

My favorite crazy fancy boards were Forbidden Bridge with it's auto shaking wobbly bridge that knocks figures into the river below and Tornado Rex which had a windup top Tasmanian Devil at the top of a mountain that would go careening down the board randomly hitting people. Pretty sure they were just random games with no strategy, but it was a fun thing to set up and watch go (kinda like Mouse Trap, I suppose).

Lyng

Another competitive, entry level game: I want to get another light, but competitive, entry level game for my fiancee and friends that aren't into board gaming. Currently I am thinking about getting Takenoko. Does anyone have any thoughts on this one?

A solo game: For my own benefit, I want to get a solo game that I can play while I listen to music or podcasts. I would like a game with a persistent campaign if possible--something I can set up and come back to over multiple sessions where my protagonist grows and tackles new missions/scenarios. Currently, I am thinking about getting Mage Knight, but given how "new" I am to board gaming I don't know if this would be too intimidating to start with. Any suggestions?

Takenoko is great for nongamers. Its gorgeous, easy to teach and easy to play. Another game could be The Resistance, which is highly competitive and introduces backstabbing. But Takenoko is allways a winner with non gamers.

I am torn about Mage Knight. While it is my favourite game of all time, it is ALOT more complex then the rest of your games. However try to watch Ricky Royals video on his youtube channel. That will tell you exactly if this is okay for you.
Imo its the best solo game out there.

Jakoo

Takenoko is great for nongamers. Its gorgeous, easy to teach and easy to play. Another game could be The Resistance, which is highly competitive and introduces backstabbing. But Takenoko is allways a winner with non gamers.

I am torn about Mage Knight. While it is my favourite game of all time, it is ALOT more complex then the rest of your games. However try to watch Ricky Royals video on his youtube channel. That will tell you exactly if this is okay for you.
Imo its the best solo game out there.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Someone in my gaming group has The Resistance, we just haven't played it yet, but I have heard good things. The reason I'm hung up on Takenoko is, as much as I like to pretend like I want to use pretty components to rope in non-gamers, I like them equally as much :). Do you find there being much depth to the strategy even in spite of it being easy to teach/play?

As for Mage Knight: I did watch the Radho runthrough on it and while it seemed complicated, it didn't seem completely incomprehensible. I'd like to think that my 15 years+ of video gaming me would make it somewhat easier to grasp with time but I'm also open to other good solo game suggestions that are a bit less complicated. Since I am moving soon, I am trying to limit myself to owning only six board games, so I am trying make sure each game in the collection is unique and highly utilized.

Galaxy Defenders is a bit more manageable to learn than Mage Knight (still some rules to dig into, but it's pretty straightforward I feel) and it has what you're asking for that Mage Knight doesn't even have. It's a co-op that you can play single-player with actually some pretty good "AI" for the aliens, and you can play a campaign mode where your team keeps and upgrades their abilities/equipment between missions.

Dawn of the Zeds is another game I think doesn't get mentioned often when it comes to solo gaming, but it has a lot of rules (and it's complexity is akin to war games...) but I feel like it's one of the best solo experiences out there. It has multiple levels of complexity and difficulty, and the intro scenario is really good at walking you through how to play. Though, each game is like its own story, so it doesn't have that persistent campaign you're looking for.

Mage Knight, I feel is still the best, and you have the added bonus of it being one of the best co-op experiences, too. Friday, the deck-building card game, and Onirim, are good quick solo games, I feel like I need to add.

Jakoo

Galaxy Defenders is a bit more manageable to learn than Mage Knight (still some rules to dig into, but it's pretty straightforward I feel) and it has what you're asking for that Mage Knight doesn't even have. It's a co-op that you can play single-player with actually some pretty good "AI" for the aliens, and you can play a campaign mode where your team keeps and upgrades their abilities/equipment between missions.

Dawn of the Zeds is another game I think doesn't get mentioned often when it comes to solo gaming, but it has a lot of rules (and it's complexity is akin to war games...) but I feel like it's one of the best solo experiences out there. It has multiple levels of complexity and difficulty, and the intro scenario is really good at walking you through how to play. Though, each game is like its own story, so it doesn't have that persistent campaign you're looking for.

Mage Knight, I feel is still the best, and you have the added bonus of it being one of the best co-op experiences, too. Friday, the deck-building card game, and Onirim, are good quick solo games, I feel like I need to add.

Great suggestions! Some of these options weren't on my radar at all so Ill have to look into them.

Lyng

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Someone in my gaming group has The Resistance, we just haven't played it yet, but I have heard good things. The reason I'm hung up on Takenoko is, as much as I like to pretend like I want to use pretty components to rope in non-gamers, I like them equally as much :). Do you find there being much depth to the strategy even in spite of it being easy to teach/play?

As for Mage Knight: I did watch the Radho runthrough on it and while it seemed complicated, it didn't seem completely incomprehensible. I'd like to think that my 15 years+ of video gaming me would make it somewhat easier to grasp with time but I'm also open to other good solo game suggestions that are a bit less complicated. Since I am moving soon, I am trying to limit myself to owning only six board games, so I am trying make sure each game in the collection is unique and highly utilized.

Well hmm. That depends on what kind of depth your looking for. Its certainly not as deep as a game like Terra Mystica or Trajan, but for non gamers I feel it is a nice choise. The depth comes from beeing effective with your actions and thinking ahead ie. trying to figure out what your opponents are going for and then capitalizing on it. I have it in my collection. And while I enjoy more complex and deeper games more, I will never turn down a game of Takenoko.
Btw dont be ashamed about wanting your games to look pretty. Nowadays every game should look as good as it plays.

Honestly give Mage Knight a chance. Vlaada Chvatil loves videogames and his designs and rules clearly take alot from them.
And if your unsure about some rules or anything let me know. I would be happy to help you learn the game. :)

Ohnonono

Should get Commands and Colors: Ancients tomorrow. I love the system in other games and really just don't have time for Great Battle of History or any really crazy system like that for my Ancient stuff. My first time stickering blocks! Can't be any worse than punching and clipping counters.

daevv

They guy who owned Dead of Winter did not show the other night so I've still not played it. Ended up playing 4 person Carcasonne and Power Grid. Both are Great modern classics. Speaking of which I may play Puerto Rico for the first time tonight.

Top Bottom