• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Gurrry

So this past weekend me and the girlfriend went to a place in Austin that lets you drink and play boardgames for free. It was a ton of fun and it really made me yearn for more gaming. We only played 1 game, but I have been dying to go back for more.

However, in the mean time, I stumbled upon table top simulator on steam and am contemplating getting it.

I reallllllly want to play this old game called Key to The Kingdom. Does anyone know how hard it would be to find folks to play with? Hopefully its easier than it is in real life! Lol.

fenners

So this past weekend me and the girlfriend went to a place in Austin that lets you drink and play boardgames for free. It was a ton of fun and it really made me yearn for more gaming. We only played 1 game, but I have been dying to go back for more.

Good ol' Emerald Tavern ;)

They have some good ideas, some horrible execution at times, but it seems to be working just enough to keep them going.

There's a bunch of pretty welcoming gaming groups around town at various cafes/shops if you're looking for some place to game.

1st & Goal looks pretty good to me. Nothing deep but I've had my eye on it for a while.
I picked up 1st & Goal as a BBTM alternative to play with my in-laws, since the BBTM fantasy theme wouldn't have gone over as well. Definitely not deep. You pick a play, hope your opponent doesn't happen to pick a good counter, and roll a few dice to determine yardage/turnovers. That's about it. A bit too much luck for my taste, but I'll still play it with them. It's good for those people that are American football fans and like gateway games.

So glad I have BBTM and all the expansions -- it's a much better game with more strategy and a touch of luck.

I picked up 1st & Goal as a BBTM alternative to play with my in-laws, since the BBTM fantasy theme wouldn't have gone over as well. Definitely not deep. You pick a play, hope your opponent doesn't happen to pick a good counter, and roll a few dice to determine yardage/turnovers. That's about it. A bit too much luck for my taste, but I'll still play it with them. It's good for those people that are American football fans and like gateway games.

So glad I have BBTM and all the expansions -- it's a much better game with more strategy and a touch of luck.
From what I understand, the team packs are what make the game. Each team has a strength and a weakness that make certain match ups more interesting. However, I've only played the base game, and that's pretty much my impression of the game as well.

Can we just talk about how awesome BBTM is? Because it's crazy awesome.

Phthisis

However, in the mean time, I stumbled upon table top simulator on steam and am contemplating getting it.

I reallllllly want to play this old game called Key to The Kingdom. Does anyone know how hard it would be to find folks to play with? Hopefully its easier than it is in real life! Lol.

Key to the Kingdom was amazing. It was the board game I played most as a kid. I loved how the board folded out, and the relics were hidden inside the envelopes at the different locations. I loved the way you had to strategize how to use your equipment in each encounter. Man what a great game. Don't know what happened to my copy, but last year some guys tried to Kickstart a mobile version: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1900643955/key-to-the-kingdom-legacy-a-board-game-mobile-app

What's the playtime of Blood Bowl Team Manager like in practice? I suspect it's just too long to play at lunch, and too short to justify playing after work :-/

On the flip side, the Baseball game runs like 10 minutes per baseball game, so a lot of games can be knocked out during lunch, then keep the teams at the desk to maintain a season.

Apenheul

Wow, my friends gave me Pathfinder ACG Skull & Shackles including all expansions as a present for all the times I organized board game nights and introduced new games. So happy :)

Still, eventually Rise of the Runelords left a bad taste in my mouth because after 31 scenarios my character died after experiencing some incredibly 'bad RNG'. Context: each time a location is closed some blue dragon attacks an occupied location with D4+1 damage. Of course my character was targeted four times in a row.. I considered permakilling Seino and choosing Lem to continue with in the next chapter but the other two players failed too so we decided to house-rule the matter and we redo the scenario but each player has to randomly banish one blessing from their deck and one card of their character's preferred type (they get a blessing of the gods back and a random preferred type card of up to 2 expansion decks prior to the current one).

Gurrry

So after about 5-6 hours of Table Top Sim last night... I got to play multiple games.

First was Spyfall, which was really fun. Very easy and great for TTS especially with mics.

Second was Betreyal at house on the hill. Crazy deep game and theres no way I wouldve been able to play without the great host we had. I was fucking up constantly. But they didnt mind. Very cool guys.

I am going to really try and learn all the rules of Key to The Kingdom and start up a game some time this week. If anyone is down, ill post here when im ready to start!

Or.. if anyone already knows how to play and cares to teach me, let me know and id be glad to run through a game with you to learn the ropes!

Karkador

Banned
I had that as a kid. The board was so damn cool. I have no idea if it was terrible or good or if we even played it correctly.

Angry Video Game Nerd (for some reason) did one of his videos about it. It looks dated and infuriating, but the board thing seems worth playing once. I'd try it on TTS.

It probably was awesome for kids, though. I'm jealous that some people had more interesting board gaming childhoods than me.

It probably was awesome for kids, though. I'm jealous that some people had more interesting board gaming childhoods than me.

Let's talk about board games we played as kids. I think that would be pretty cool to read about.

I'll post mine later, I'm at work right now.

Phthisis

Let's talk about board games we played as kids. I think that would be pretty cool to read about.

I'll post mine later, I'm at work right now.

It was all Guess Who and Clue Jr. and Monopoly for me until I was like 7 and my parents got me Key to the Kingdom and Crossbows & Catapults on the same Xmas. My life was never the same. I also played a lot of 13 Dead End Drive and Forbidden Bridge after that. Basically anything with chunky components that moved and did stuff.

Also I used to set up Mouse Trap as a child just so I could play with the cage that dropped; never actually played by the rules.

joelseph

I would play old country western and farming games at my Grandparents house. Old games from the 1950s. I actually brought some home recently after my Grandfather passed away.

At my parent's home we would play Mouse Trap, Cootie, and Life mainly. Still have all three original games I do believe.

emag

What's the playtime of Blood Bowl Team Manager like in practice? I suspect it's just too long to play at lunch, and too short to justify playing after work :-/

Took us almost two hours with four players with entirely mechanical play (no one particularly enjoyed the theme).

Neverfade

There's some more details about that Chudyk game up.

Deck of 54 cards, Glory to Rome ish with a touch of the action queue from Impulse thrown in (you do an action and the action of the player who went prior to you)

Mottainai is the name.

Karkador

Banned
I grew up with the staple Monopoly and Clue (Master Detective, at least), and other kids had some of the corny child-oriented games from the late 80s/early 90s - Connect 4, Kerplunk, Mouse Trap...but I never really knew that there was bigger stuff out there. I also didn't really have many people to play with.

The weirdest board game I had as a kid (it was a gift or something, from a well-meaning person) was a creepy game based on the Adam Walsh kidnapping/murder. It was like some kind of roll-and-move where you land on spaces and draw cards that present some kind of stranger danger situation, and you're supposed to play this as an educational experience with an adult...but it was boring, because the answer was always "run away"

We used to play The Omega Virus all the time as kids. It was so cheesily great, with a giant open space station to explore that folded in on itself as it shut down, and these little figures that you added weaponry to that they needed in order to fight the virus.

The little electronic box at the center was the best part. The virus would constantly taunt you the whole time, and it kept track of what was in each room (which was determined randomly). Whoever killed the virus won, but everyone could lose, and you could attack each other.

Reminds me of board games nowadays that used apps, long before a smart phone ever existed.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Took us almost two hours with four players with entirely mechanical play (no one particularly enjoyed the theme).

That's too bad. The theme in that game is absolutely amazing and quite well reflected in many of the mechanics. Such good art too. The comedy fantasy is such a good palate cleanser from FFG's usual uber-serious fantasy. It's easily one of the best games of the past five years IMO. I do prefer it with three though, because per your experience I think it runs a bit long with four. Also will be disappointing if you're expecting an actual 'sports' game, per my comment above.

joelseph

In high school I worked as a camp councilor, we would stay up all night playing Axis and Allies after the kids were in their bunks. That was my gateway into heavier gaming.

mercviper

I didn't really play too many board games as a child. Chutes and ladders never made sense to me how it could be fun, and I preferred LIFE over monopoly by far. Definitely played my Looping Louie game until it broke, but otherwise it was chess, Chinese chess, and card games like hearts/spades and eventually Magic the gathering.

ultron87

I feel like if I played Clue today, which we played a bunch of as a child, I would destroy myself trying to think too much about it and analyze all my opponent's questions and behaviors to gain evidence.

I didn't play board games as a kid, I was outside all the time. My friend did have this one board game though, can't remember the name. It had a basic computer with speakers, and you had to type a secret code in. You moved your figure around a board looking for 3 weapons, which you could attach to the figure. Once you had all 3 weapons, you would seek out the big bad (I think it was a computer virus) and you could blow him up. The thing is his location and the location of the weapons was secret; the game would tell you if you're right or wrong depending on if it spoke your secret code out. If you found the big bad, it would say "You found me, try and stop me!"

edit: took 2 seconds via google. The Omega Virus

Karkador

Banned
I feel like if I played Clue today, which we played a bunch of as a child, I would destroy myself trying to think too much about it and analyze all my opponent's questions and behaviors to gain evidence.

If you haven't already, I think you'd like Spyfall

Actually, I was thinking of running a neogaf Spyfall game (videogame themed) on gaming side

Palmer_v1

Actually, I was thinking of running a neogaf Spyfall game (videogame themed) on gaming side

Sign me up! I'm also hoping there will be another Mafia game, regardless of the outcome of the current one, though with a reduced number of players.

Would you include the optional roles like Spyfall does?

Chutes and Ladders was our go to game when we were kids since they were available cheaply where I was growing up. Our cousins had Monopoly (games from US was really rare back then) and we did play that quite a bit along with Sorry! which they also had. My dad never like playing any games so we didn't have any in our house growing up beside Chinese Chess.

When I was a kid, I think my dad was into board games. Well, as much as you could be back then.

I vividly remember playing Dogfight, a WW1 ariel combat game that was produced in the early 1960's. I must've been only 6 or 7 at the time. It had little plastic bi wing planes (red and green) that were on top of stands to simulate flying over a war torn battlefield. It was pretty sweet.

Next, was Dungeon!. I played the original that was released in 1975. I was around 6-7 when I played that too. So I actually played it in the early 80's. I looooved that game. My older brother and I wore the cards out.

I also remember playing a Dune board game based on the movie that had pictures of the characters on the pieces. Funny side story here... When Star Trek the Next Generation first came on TV, I knew Patrick Stewert as Gurney from his picture from the Dune board game and that's all I associated him with. Hey, I was like 7 at the time.

I did all the usual games too, like Monopoly, Life, ect. But looking back, the above 3 games were my favorites and also extremely unique as it turns out.

ultron87

I have played it a bit with the phone version. Fun, but I think we played it a few beers too deep into the night and everyone was bad at it.

Forum Spyfall would probably make me less incensed than Mafia. Mostly since it is over so much faster.

There's some more details about that Chudyk game up.

Deck of 54 cards, Glory to Rome ish with a touch of the action queue from Impulse thrown in (you do an action and the action of the player who went prior to you)

Mottainai is the name.

How is Impulse? I love GtR and Innovation, but somehow missed the existence of Impulse.

Mista Koo

We had Cluedo, Scrabble, Uno, Ludo/Sorry, Snakes & Ladder and Monopoly. Also Mastermind, Battleship, Dominoes, Checkers and Connect 4.
I still like Cluedo and Scrabble.

I also used to play Dots (Dots and boxes/Squares) with my dad a lot, I loved this the most because I used to win sometimes. If he was still around I'd bet he'd enjoy playing the mathy Reiner Knizias and perhaps some dry Euros.

My cousins got back into Clue (Simpsons themed) sometime within the past 10 years or so and it was fun. I think it was the precursor of them getting into Catan 3-4 years ago and thus getting me into board games.

Love the surgery part, I need to do this on a bunch of my games. While I care about the boxes and everything, after traveling between continents with my games a few times I had to stop caring :p

I also used to play Dots (Dots and boxes/Squares) with my dad a lot, I loved this the most because I used to win sometimes. If he was still around I'd bet he'd enjoy playing the mathy Reiner Knizias and perhaps some dry Euros.
Fuckin A, man. I used to play Dots in goddamn HIGH SCHOOL. I had a study hall or something for my last class of the day, senior year. One of the guys even printed out pages with the dots on them already so we wouldn't have to draw the dots anymore

Xero

I remember really enjoying escape from fireball island as a kid. Just a cool ass board.

Had to make it up the island and get the treasure and get off the island. But you had to look out for other players summoning the fireball from the top (a red marble you would roll down one of the paths down the top of the mountain hoping it would roll over a space your opponents were and send them back to the beginning.

Neverfade

How is Impulse? I love GtR and Innovation, but somehow missed the existence of Impulse.

If you like GtR and Innovation then you'll like Impulse too. Its very Chudyk. Order!

I know people love it, but I really hated it. It's possible to get screwed by your opening hand such that there's no way to get into the game or recover from extreme disadvantage.

No such thing as out in a Chudyk game. You can get a shitty opening hand like every other card game out there, sure. But everyone has a basic tech to draw cards and everyone is sharing a good amount of actions with the Impulse. So its unlikely anyone's going to get away with taking actions no one else can for very long.

Amazing game.

B64szSr.jpg

I am in love with this game, Robinson Crusoe. Play both co-op and solo yesterday and even got the Yoyage of the Beagle expansion. I like how the expansion can be play as one big link campaign. I can't wait for more scenarios and future expansion.

Phthisis

No such thing as out in a Chudyk game. You can get a shitty opening hand like every other card game out there, sure. But everyone has a basic tech to draw cards and everyone is sharing a good amount of actions with the Impulse. So its unlikely anyone's going to get away with taking actions no one else can for very long.

Amazing game.

Meh.

Lyng

I am in love with this game, Robinson Crusoe. Play both co-op and solo yesterday and even got the Yoyage of the Beagle expansion. I like how the expansion can be play as one big link campaign. I can't wait for more scenarios and future expansion.

Yup once you get the rules under your skin its a fantastic game. And one of the most thematic coop games out there, if not the most.

Kitbash

You should check out Portal's online store for more goodies. They have more characters, more cards for the beast deck, more scenarios, etc. Good quality stuff.

If you order from them and get lucky, they may throw in a Spyglass of Illusory Hope. It's a big cardboard spyglass -- you can rip it in half to get a one-time boost of 5 Determination tokens.

joelseph

Big fan of Ignacy Trzewiczek

Experien

I remember really enjoying escape from fireball island as a kid. Just a cool ass board.

Had to make it up the island and get the treasure and get off the island. But you had to look out for other players summoning the fireball from the top (a red marble you would roll down one of the paths down the top of the mountain hoping it would roll over a space your opponents were and send them back to the beginning.

A co-worker actually had his mom buy this at a yard sale and give it to him. He came to work and then gave it to me cause he didn't want it. So I have it but it isn't 100% complete and don't have room to display it.

You should check out Portal's online store for more goodies. They have more characters, more cards for the beast deck, more scenarios, etc. Good quality stuff.

If you order from them and get lucky, they may throw in a Spyglass of Illusory Hope. It's a big cardboard spyglass -- you can rip it in half to get a one-time boost of 5 Determination tokens.

Thanks, I actually order the Promo Pack few days ago (found it after I was looking way to upgrade the wooden pieces and Portal site pop up on my search. I was surprise they sell and ship to US and can't wait to get them, They are unfortunately sold out of the custom wooden pieces (hence the $35.00 price for the kit). I think I can live with the little wooden cubes, they sort of grow on me. The little plastic cubes are a bit ugly, and I was thinking may be finding a small wooden cubes replacement for those.

Not that I don't already have enough stuffs to play with, still haven't even crack open Mage Knight but I love the system and how open it is for new scenarios. The rules is clunky at time, I think mostly have to do with the timing issue on building / gathering and thing that happen out of phases but over all the rule book and rules were not as bad. Watching Ricky Royal runthrough did help immensely.

Five day shipping CSI? Step up your game. I knew I should've used Amazon Prime for that entire order. That stuff arrived 3 days ago!

I was going to wait and open everything at once, but I am weak. I'm tearing into my Amazon portion tonight.

Top Bottom