• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

I started painting my Mice & Mystics minis last night. Here are the 3 I managed to finish in about 2.5 hours. The last member of the party who is partially painted will have to wait until next time because I have Easter stuff planned all day with family. I'll wait and base them all at once. We're going to be playing through the campaign in 2 weeks, so I'll need to have everything finished by then. It's good to have a goal!

nLwlLRl.jpg

di4pTAP.jpg

GZrxc8A.jpg

sxgFg7O.jpg

Played Zombicide last night, fun game. A little self gratifying and some of the rules were strange/questionable, but the rulebook person verified. After the tutorial mission, we did the next one on the list. Had everything on lock down to the point where it was a joke. Then with 1 zombie card we went from seemingly 100% chance of winning down to like 20%. 3/4 players eliminated but we left the strongest one alive who was able to accomplish the mission. Made for a tight finale.

Apenheul

I started painting my Mice & Mystics minis last night. Here are the 3 I managed to finish in about 2.5 hours. The last member of the party who is partially painted will have to wait until next time because I have Easter stuff planned all day with family. I'll wait and base them all at once. We're going to be playing through the campaign in 2 weeks, so I'll need to have everything finished by then. It's good to have a goal!

They look absolutely great

Faiz

I think I just sold my wife on Mice and Mystics by showing her the pics of your minis. Thanks mate!

joelseph

]

Great job!

Hey all, looking for some recommendations. Looking for a game to play with my SO. We both like to play board games and they are on the competitive side. (Though I'm a bit of a sore loser.)

Guidelines for recommendations:
- Primarily for two players. Support for three to four players would be nice but optional.
- Games with an abstract presentation might be preferable or less people focused. We're both put off by how women are often depicted.
- $40 or less.
- Not too dependent on expansions to keep the game enjoyable/interesting over the long term. (I've looked into Android: Netrunner and the number of expansions puts me off, for example.)

Games we already own between us:
- Love Letter
- Fluxx 4.0
- Red Dragon Inn 3

Thanks!

Draxal

Hey all, looking for some recommendations. Looking for a game to play with my SO. We both like to play board games and they are on the competitive side. (Though I'm a bit of a sore loser.)

- Primarily for two players. Support for three to four players would be nice but optional.
- Games with an abstract presentation might be preferable or less people focused. We're both put off by how women are often depicted.
- $40 or less.
- Not too dependent on expansions to keep the game enjoyable/interesting over the long term. (I've looked into Android: Netrunner and the number of expansions puts me off, for example.)

- Love Letter
- Fluxx 4.0
- Red Dragon Inn 3

Thanks!

Twilight Struggle.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12333/twilight-struggle

Gryph

Here are few games that I've enjoyed with two people.

Euro:
Agricola * †
Carcassone

Card and tile:
Dominion *
Suburbia †
Race for the Galaxy

Cooperative:
Pandemic *
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective

War:
A Few Acres of Snow
Twilight Struggle †

*(These games have a bunch of expansions but you don't need them.)
†(These games can be expensive depending on where you buy them.)

- $40 or less.

- Love Letter
- Fluxx 4.0
- Red Dragon Inn 3

Thanks!

A couple of good card games I immediately think of:

Battle Line: You basically play cards back in forth trying to make poker-like hands to capture pawns. The game plays quick and feels really tense the whole game.

Parade: You play cards in a line trying to avoid taking cards. Taking cards is generally bad but if you manage to have the most in a color it erases most of the points so this one can also be tense with two players fighting over having the most in a particular color.

Draxal

Going from Fluxx, Red Dragon Inn, and Love Letter to Twilight Struggle is a terrible recommendation.

My picks for games with the wife: Battleline, Pandemic (or the superior Pandemic: The Cure), Jaipur, Ticket to Ride

basically something from this: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/9900/quintessential-wife-girlfriend-and-spouse-recommen/page/1?

I'd vehemently disagree as Netrunner was in the discussion as well and that's much meatier than the games you have listed. While I do love TTR and Pandemic but it really doesn't suit her requirements, unless you include TTR (Swiss).

Neverfade

I'd disagree, as I really don't think any of your game really suits what she requires. I love TTR but it really doesn't suit her requirements.

It doesn't get much more abstract than playing gin rummy to connect cities.
It plays 2 players just as well as more.
It doesn't portray women in any offensive manner.
It has a boatload of expansions but isn't reliant on them.
As are most of the other games on that geek list, all of them much better next steps than fucking TS.

Draxal

It doesn't get much more abstract than playing gin rummy to connect cities.
It plays 2 players just as well as more.
It doesn't portray women in any offensive manner.
It has a boatload of expansions but isn't reliant on them.
As are most of the other games on that geek list, all of them much better next steps than fucking TS.

You were way too quick on the response, but see my edited post. I'd honestly forgot about TTR Switzerland, and I really thought they wanted a competitive 2 player game (and alot of those ... are just bound by expansion packs or have way too much bikini armor) that's pretty deep.

Neverfade

You were way too quick on the response, but see my edited post. I'd honestly forgot about TTR Switzerland, and I really thought they wanted a competitive 2 player game (and alot of those ... are just bound by expansion packs or have way too much bikini armor) that's pretty deep.

OK, So drop the one coop I recommended. The list is now valid.

Yeef

- $40 or less.

- Love Letter
- Fluxx 4.0
- Red Dragon Inn 3

Thanks!
Lost Cities. It only plays 2 players, but is quick, easy to learn and plenty of fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e45XJ2no6iI

Splendor, if you're looking for something that can support more players but still plays fine with 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF-I44_EF7g

Gryph

Oh, Star Realms and Machi Koro are two more good options

Machi Koro does play really well with two folks. Good call.

Also depending on how exploratory / comfortable with performance you and your SO are I'd recommend Microscope and Kingdom by Ben Robbins. They're not board games per say, more experimental RPG / Story Building engines but they can be tremendously fun and surprising.

Biblios would fit your criteria, though I haven't played it as a two-player game. Rahdo gives a good run through, especially since he approaches it from a two-player standpoint.
Run through
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jYJbrKGLdo
Final thoughts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRpQlXVzpt0

Edit (all of these are in the 2-4 player range):
San Juan - card game predecessor to Race for the Galaxy. I've only played the iOS version, but a new print run will make it easier to find.
Takenoko - a little less abstract and on the intro side of games. Growing bamboo and having a panda eating it is all it's about.
Qwirkle - kinda like scrabble without the spelling. Uses shapes and colors.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll look through them in a bit.

I didn't mention anything about a learning curve but I didn't intend for the games we already own to be an indicator of what we are looking for.

Mista Koo

- $40 or less.

- Love Letter
- Fluxx 4.0
- Red Dragon Inn 3

Thanks!
Hive (2p, 20 mins).
Jaipur (2p, 30 mins).
Splendor (2-4p, 30 mins).
Machi Koro (2-4p, 30 mins).
Ticket to Ride Nordic Countries (2-3p, 45 mins).
Takenoko (2-4p, 45 mins).
Castles of Burgundy (2-4p, 90 mins) [This one is a bit more complicated than the rest.]

Icefire1424

My wife really enjoyed Dominion, even if it does feel solitaire-esque at times. Pandemic also plays very well with two players, and is particularly intense.

Draxal

Just received my Super Dungeon Explore Forgotten King kickstarter, pretty happy with the results. The preassembled minis make it such a better product than the first edition.

Here are some two player games that the wife and I enjoy.

Legendary Marvel
Warhammer 40k: Conquest
Blood Bowl Team Manager
Space Hulk (board game and card game!)

- $40 or less.

- Love Letter
- Fluxx 4.0
- Red Dragon Inn 3

Thanks!
If you can find it, Troyes and/or Tournay. Both play great with two and scales across all players just fine.

Dreavus

Got to play two games of Argent: The Consortium with two different groups over the weekend. It's a loooong game – at least while learning it – but it ended up being a lot of fun. We tried 3 players and 4 players and unfortunately, there is very little time scaling. Both games were very close matches though, either winning on a tiebreaker or by a single vote. The game feels kind of bloated at first, but we got the hang of it after a few rounds and all the mechanics start to make sense and work together.

I really hope we can get the play time down with a little more confidence, because I'd hate for it to end up being a game no one wants to commit to because of length! I might post some more detailed impressions later.

- $40 or less.

- Love Letter
- Fluxx 4.0
- Red Dragon Inn 3

Thanks!

It looks "like hotel room art" but maybe Castles of Burgundy? It's a tilebased city builder, plays great with two, and has a worker placement mechanic but where the dice are the workers, but still there's only a small chance factor even with the dice. It's not very interactive or competitive though.

My wife and I also have been enjoying Five Tribes a lot, but I guess that's a controversial recommendation especially with the bolded part in your comment! But it's a great game.

If you like cards and out of the box deck building, and cool components, maybe Blue Moon Legends, it tries to look like a card duelling game but it's actually pure action based imo. I haven't really gotten into it but my wife seemed to like it (we only played with pre-configured starter decks so maybe I'll like it more if I start to mix it up).

Karkador

Banned
I think we should try to categorize these suggestions into different flavors or weights, because MY head is spinning and I already know what all these games are.

PittaGAF

Any Dicemaster players here?
Probably yes...but I just discovered the game rules thanks to the digital version of Quarriors! and I felt in love...totally in love (much more than the usual deck building games...I love dice and somehow I always missed these games).

So I'm considering options for the real deal.
I hate the superheroes setting so that is not an option...so it comes down to:

LOTR Dice building.
The recent released D&D Dicemaster.

I LOVE both settings, and I'm leaning towards LOTR because I can play it solo out of the bat (not sure about D&D, but I think not).
I've already read the cons of LOTR (bad manual/dice prints etc...but I've already learnt the 2.0 manual and saw some videos)...but it seems to be at the end of its life (pulled from wizkids site?)...not a huge thing but still....

Any advice?

(I would mostly play solo till my son, 6 years old, will be able to play :p).

Thanks!!!!

Any Dicemaster players here?
Probably yes...but I just discovered the game rules thanks to the digital version of Quarriors! and I felt in love...totally in love (much more than the usual deck building games...I love dice and somehow I always missed these games).

So I'm considering options for the real deal.
I hate the superheroes setting so that is not an option...so it comes down to:

LOTR Dice building.
The recent released D&D Dicemaster.

I LOVE both settings, and I'm leaning towards LOTR because I can play it solo out of the bat (not sure about D&D, but I think not).
I've already read the cons of LOTR (bad manual/dice prints etc...but I've already learnt the 2.0 manual and saw some videos)...but it seems to be at the end of its life (pulled from wizkids site?)...not a huge thing but still....

Any advice?

(I would mostly play solo till my son, 6 years old, will be able to play :p).

Thanks!!!!

The whole theme of dicemasters is pretty much pasted on, its same games just with different pictures essentially. Game mechanics dont even really lend itself to the themes half the time, many of the game effects don't make much sense, like someone came up with an ability and randomly chooses a character to give it too with not a ton of thought put in. At the same time, game has limited depth so it's not like they can do a ton of unique stuff for each character and stay in theme.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
I'm interested in making custom characters and campaigns for the DnD adventure system games. (Legend of Drizzt, etc) Can anybody recommend a place that would be able to print high quality cards or cardboard stock?

Example: What would be the best place to print these?

Experien

How often do people cull their collection?

How do you decide which goes out the door?

How do you get rid of them?

I got to get rid of some before a move and I am hesitant cause I run a group for board games and want to make sure I have a good variety/collection. Not sure if I should try BGG or ask the group. Just curious how fellow bgamers do these things...

I'm interested in making custom characters and campaigns for the DnD adventure system games. (Legend of Drizzt, etc) Can anybody recommend a place that would be able to print high quality cards or cardboard stock?

Example: What would be the best place to print these?

For things like these, I print them with a high quality printer on Avery labels. I then cut them out and stick them on the front of Magic: The Gathering cards (or other cards you don't use anymore). Optionally, sleeve them if for some reason, the back needs to be hidden as well.

That's how I made custom Shadow Hunters characters. That reminds me that I need to go find them so I can help a friend make them again

I got to get rid of some before a move and I am hesitant cause I run a group for board games and want to make sure I have a good variety/collection. Not sure if I should try BGG or ask the group. Just curious how fellow bgamers do these things...

Just like my video game collection, I don't. I'm really good about researching before I buy. Games go in and out of favor but I like to keep everything in case I ever feel like revisiting an old favorite or want a game I know really well to show newbies. I love everything I own for one reason or another and can always house rule anything I don't.

Of course I also enjoy many luxuries that many do not, space being a major one. If I absolutely had to trim the collection I would sell to friends first and then list them both here on GAF and BGG.

I don't run a group, but for me I get rid of games I personally don't love and/or games that never hit the table. I got rid of Gears of War. I like that game but we haven't played it since release back in 2011. I get rid of them via BGG's math trades. Basically a giant mathematical swap if you don't mind used games. It's daunting at first but if you can follow instructions, there's step by step guides to walk you through it. I'm constantly trying to get rid of dead weight, so even if I have just 1 board game to get rid of, I will enter it for the next BGG math trade.

Karkador

Banned
The whole theme of dicemasters is pretty much pasted on, its same games just with different pictures essentially. Game mechanics dont even really lend itself to the themes half the time, many of the game effects don't make much sense, like someone came up with an ability and randomly chooses a character to give it too with not a ton of thought put in. At the same time, game has limited depth so it's not like they can do a ton of unique stuff for each character and stay in theme.

I disagree. I think a lot of it works with the theme/characters well enough, and there's a significant difference in the mechanics of the D&D set vs the X-Men set.

Timeaisis

Man, Avalon is such a great game. I love it.

Just got Twilight Struggle over the weekend but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I hear it's really long.

Palmer_v1

Is there a market for the first two marvel sets of dice masters? I liked the idea of it all, but it seems like an unbalanced mess that only gets worse with all of this new stuff. They're just milking it for all it's worth. Really just want to sell off what I have and never look back.

I disagree. I think a lot of it works with the theme/characters well enough, and there's a significant difference in the mechanics of the D&D set vs the X-Men set.

Dont see it at all, the abilities are so generic and lacking flavor. You can easily swap abilities of characters and it kinda doesn't matter as the abilities are so detached from the actual characters, and the limited range of what they can do with the game. Unlike say Legendary where character abilities one can often see the thematic reasoning behind it.

Is there a market for the first two marvel sets of dice masters? I liked the idea of it all, but it seems like an unbalanced mess that only gets worse with all of this new stuff. They're just milking it for all it's worth. Really just want to sell off what I have and never look back.

Welcome to wizkidz games

XShagrath

Yeah, I feel ya there. I've got almost a complete set of AvX (bought two gravity feeds), and have been sitting on an X-Men starter and 2 feeds of that since it came out.

I really liked the idea of the game before it came out, but then the scarcity of product just killed it for me. I couldn't find anyone to play with, besides my few workmates who bought some. Also, we never had any organized play here, due to no one being able to buy product.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
For things like these, I print them with a high quality printer on Avery labels. I then cut them out and stick them on the front of Magic: The Gathering cards (or other cards you don't use anymore). Optionally, sleeve them if for some reason, the back needs to be hidden as well.

That's how I made custom Shadow Hunters characters. That reminds me that I need to go find them so I can help a friend make them again

That's a great idea. Thanks!

Palmer_v1

Just got Twilight Struggle over the weekend but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I hear it's really long.

I kinda prefer Resistance/Avalon to Mafia/Werewolf. You're making me wonder how well they would work as forum games. Seems like it's too dynamic to work properly, with fairly rapid fire team selections, votes, card uses, etc.

Phthisis

It will be your first time, but once you get the rules under you, you'll be able to bang out a game in about 2-3 hours. Such a great, tense experience.

Top Bottom