• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Timeaisis

I kinda prefer Resistance/Avalon to Mafia/Werewolf. You're making me wonder how well they would work as forum games. Seems like it's too dynamic to work properly, with fairly rapid fire team selections, votes, card uses, etc.

It does some things better. The accusatory dynamic is a lot quicker getting off the ground. Unlike Mafia, which (even in person) takes a while to get the suspicion going. But I think Mafia is a deeper game, overall. Probably because of the community and metagame around it. Avalon/Resistance is super well designed, though. Simple and deep.

But as a forum game? That would be some crazy shit. It's a lot more dynamic and depends on more physical scenarios with all the cards and voting and flipping and such. You don't "publicly" vote or anything, like Mafia. It would get kind of messy as a forum game, IMO. Lots and lots of PMs would be required.

It will be your first time, but once you get the rules under you, you'll be able to bang out a game in about 2-3 hours. Such a great, tense experience.

I bought it completely on a whim based on it's theme. I'm a sucker for the cold war. Only after did I realized it was highly rated.

Lyng

Went on a buying spree for new games for the wife and me: Theseus: The Dark Orbit, Neuroshima Hex and Thunderstone Advance: Numenera. Cant wait. Have a feeling Theseus will become my go to two player game.

Palmer_v1

It does some things better. The accusatory dynamic is a lot quicker getting off the ground. Unlike Mafia, which (even in person) takes a while to get the suspicion going. But I think Mafia is a deeper game, overall. Probably because of the community and metagame around it. Avalon/Resistance is super well designed, though. Simple and deep.

But as a forum game? That would be some crazy shit. It's a lot more dynamic and depends on more physical scenarios with all the cards and voting and flipping and such. You don't "publicly" vote or anything, like Mafia. It would get kind of messy as a forum game, IMO. Lots and lots of PMs would be required.

I bought it completely on a whim based on it's theme. I'm a sucker for the cold war. Only after did I realized it was highly rated.

It's the non-elimination part of them that I like, plus no moderator needed, and they play quicker. With 10 people, I can get 3 or 4 games of resistance done before 1 round of werewolf. So generally we do werewolf for 10+, resistance/avalon for 6-10, then Dead of Winter probably.

Crazy thing is despite my love of these hidden traitor games, I've never gotten to play BSG. Hoping I'll find a game at Gencon to jump into.

emag

And you can get 3-4 games of One Night Ultimate Werewolf done in the time it takes to play one game of Avalon. ;)

They both work fine as forum games, as demonstrated on BGG. You just need a moderator for the setup/night phase of ONUW and the setup and mission success/failures in The Resistance/Avalon.

joelseph

Flyer for our gameday party.

dOTOiJj.jpg

I'm interested in making custom characters and campaigns for the DnD adventure system games. (Legend of Drizzt, etc) Can anybody recommend a place that would be able to print high quality cards or cardboard stock?

Example: What would be the best place to print these?

http://www.printerstudio.com/unique-ideas/custom-card-and-puzzle-games.html

I used them last time to print out Descent Overlord AI card, they came out really nice and look just like cards you would get in a real game. (not quite FFG level but they do look great). These are not mine, they are from BGG (RedJak's automated Overlord).

JmB8njzl.jpg

Alternatively as other suggest, you can go to local Staples or FedEX or even some UPS store, and they can print out on good card stock that you can cut them out. I printed these at my local UPS from PDF files from BGG. (Replacement GOOs for Arkham Horror from Gamer Night Kits). They look and feel just as nice as the cards that came with the game.

fXRnsSJl.jpg

On another note, my kids and I are having great time playing board game during their Spring Break (on that rare time they actually want to spend time with their dad). My daughter love the New Science, thanks to the guy that suggest it a while back, I finally track down a copy at decent price. The game looks super-boring but it's actually very fun.

k4RNjsql.jpg

My son and I are playing co-op Mage Knight. He did sort of mention that may be this might be easier to play as video game. I love it and he picked up the game real quick probably because it is sort of like a video game.

8nTdwrQl.jpg

Karkador

Banned
My son and I are playing co-op Mage Knight. He did sort of mention that may be this might be easier to play as video game. I love it and he picked up the game real quick probably because it is sort of like a video game.

8nTdwrQl.jpg

I feel like everything this guy designs is probably better as a videogame.

I would play digital version of Mage Knight but I really do enjoy the "physicality" nature of board game and being next to the person you are playing with. I am sure we are all enjoy moving the tokens, miniatures around and shuffling the real cards and throwing real dices.

I did solo game couple time before teaching my son how to play. After a game or two, Mage Knight is actually not so bad. I don't think it's any worst than Arkham Horror. I wish they included reference card though, the iconography used in this game is very confusing and the busy design doesn't help.

My son like wargame and we did enjoy Memoir'44 but he find it not very realistic for wargames so I am on a hunt for a war game for his birthday. So I am boil down to a few games Conflict of Heroes (my top choice), War Stories Liberty Road and may be Band of Brothers, any comments or suggestion?

ultron87

I feel like everything this guy designs is probably better as a videogame.

But then you lose the sheer panic in your opponent's eyes as you flip over the sand timer in Galaxy Trucker and their ship is half done which then leads to increasingly panicked fumbling of the ship pieces as they desperately try to find anything that fits.

hort

Neo Member
Yeah that's us. Were you on Doomhammer? Do we know you? =)

Haha, small world! I thought your name sounded familiar! Let me think....Troll priest, right? or mage?

I played on Doomhammer until WotLK came out, which was when I ended up quitting the game. Mostly played a UD warlock named Velven. Was in Ruination back in the day when that first started up.

joelseph

Small world indeed!

I played the troll priest Joelseph for many years. Ran the guild officially for quite sometime, that passed to Rejuven the undead priest and that finally passed to Bayne the alt addict.

The main crew is still going strong, Suta, Deejam, Orome, Gilgamech, Lewesite, Shiznitz, Scrape, Soulmender.

We mainly play boardgames now. Though we are still kicking around in WoW, SW, LoTR, FF, and god knows what else. Right now FROM Software games have a pretty big grasp on us.

We are based out of Illinois. Make strong showings at Geekway and GenCon.

If you are ever in the area let's grab a drink and game!

hort

Neo Member
Small world indeed!

I played the troll priest Joelseph for many years. Ran the guild officially for quite sometime, that passed to Rejuven the undead priest and that finally passed to Bayne the alt addict.

The main crew is still going strong, Suta, Deejam, Orome, Gilgamech, Lewesite, Shiznitz, Scrape, Soulmender.

We mainly play boardgames now. Though we are still kicking around in WoW, SW, LoTR, FF, and god knows what else. Right now FROM Software games have a pretty big grasp on us.

We are based out of Illinois. Make strong showings at Geekway and GenCon.

If you are ever in the area let's grab a drink and game!

I'll remember that if I'm ever in the area, cool running into someone from DH after so many years. I have tons of useless knowledge from that game stored in my head for some reason.

Phthisis

On another note, my kids and I are having great time playing board game during their Spring Break (on that rare time they actually want to spend time with their dad). My daughter love the New Science, thanks to the guy that suggest it a while back, I finally track down a copy at decent price. The game looks super-boring but it's actually very fun.

k4RNjsql.jpg

Woo, awesome! Love that game. Glad she's enjoying it.

My son like wargame and we did enjoy Memoir'44 but he find it not very realistic for wargames so I am on a hunt for a war game for his birthday. So I am boil down to a few games Conflict of Heroes (my top choice), War Stories Liberty Road and may be Band of Brothers, any comments or suggestion?

Conflict of Heroes is great, but it's quite a step up in terms of complexity; not sure how old he is or what his aptitude is like. Still, for my money it's among the best WW2 tactical systems out there.

Gurrry

http://www.printerstudio.com/unique-ideas/custom-card-and-puzzle-games.html

I used them last time to print out Descent Overlord AI card, they came out really nice and look just like cards you would get in a real game. (not quite FFG level but they do look great). These are not mine, they are from BGG (RedJak's automated Overlord).

JmB8njzl.jpg

Dude, I have been looking into the automated overlord cards for Descent. Do you think you could help me understand how they work? I read through the rules (ok, I skimmed them...not a full blown study session) but I didnt really understand.

I have been looking for an easier guide but have had no luck. Anyway you could give me a better run down via PM or something?

Its been awhile since I've posted in here but some of my games are wearing a little thin, We play a ton of Agricola and Puerto Rico. Do you guys think we would enjoy Lords of Waterdeep?

Neverfade

Lords of Waterdeep is competent and completely unremarkable for me. The expansion makes it a bit better.

Personally, without knowing how large and varied your collection is, I'd think coming off Agricola worker placement to LoW worker placement would end up being either a step down or at the very least, a missed opportunity to spice it up with a different genre.

Or, maybe a worker placement that's more unique. Like Tzolkin or something.

fenners

Its been awhile since I've posted in here but some of my games are wearing a little thin, We play a ton of Agricola and Puerto Rico. Do you guys think we would enjoy Lords of Waterdeep?

Waterdeep is a lighter, simpler take on worker placement. Definitely lighter (and easier to teach) than those two mentioned. It's a fine game, but it might not be what you're looking for.

What elements of those two are you looking for?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Lords of Waterdeep is competent and completely unremarkable for me. The expansion makes it a bit better.

Personally, without knowing how large and varied your collection is, I'd think coming off Agricola worker placement to LoW worker placement would end up being either a step down or at the very least, a missed opportunity to spice it up with a different genre.

Or, maybe a worker placement that's more unique. Like Tzolkin or something.

Agree with the idea that if you guys are super into Agricola LoW will be a huge downgrade and not provide you with much longevity. Depends what you're it, but I'll just pop-off some of my top-rated games:
-Race for the Galaxy
-Blood Bowl Team Manager
-Ghost Stories
-Galaxy Trucker
-Castles of Burgundy

Following along what Neverfade said, it depends on if you're looking to continue down the very heavy-Euro path. I don't remember with Agricola, but they both seem like very deep, nearly non-random Euro games. There are a lot of others that mechanically feel similar but have different themes (Village, Caylus, Hansa Teutonica, Russian Railroads, etc.), but it all depends on what your group would want to move onto next.

Thanks for the info guys..

I guess I was looking for something with a little more theme, we play some 5e dnd sometimes.

The games we play a ton of:

Agricola
Puerto Rico
Seven Wonders
Machi Koro
Avalon

With tabletop day tomorrow its the perfect time to add something new.

edit: thanks for all the recommendations.

I have looked at BloodBowl a bunch but never pulled the trigger, same with Race for the Galaxy.

Phthisis

Thanks for the info guys..

I guess I was looking for something with a little more theme, we play some 5e dnd sometimes.

The games we play a ton of:

Agricola
Puerto Rico
Seven Wonders
Machi Koro
Avalon

With tabletop day tomorrow its the perfect time to add something new.

edit: thanks for all the recommendations.

I have looked at BloodBowl a bunch but never pulled the trigger, same with Race for the Galaxy.

You might like the D&D Adventure board games (Ashardalon, Ravenloft, Drizzt, etc.)?

shas'la

Hey guys I'm looking to sleeve legendary and sheriff of Nottingham, does anyone have the info in what size sleevs I should be looking for on each of those titles?

Karkador

Banned
May I ask for a recommendation, too?

I think my collection is lacking in a certain kind of co-op games.

It would be great to find a co-op game I can play with my girlfriend (so something good for just two) that you develop over time and keep coming back to. I don't own any games with a campaign mode, and it seems like that's what I'm looking for...maybe?

But in lieu of a full-blown campaign, I think a game that just feels like we built something would be great.

Here are my thoughts on co-ops we've played and/or own:

Sentinels of the Multiverse - we like the theme, but the artwork is awful and we find the game too hard for just two players. It's also really fiddly.

Space Alert - I enjoy this game; she finds it stressful. It's not the ideal game for just two, and it's more of an "arcade game" than a thing to get engrossed in.

Pandemic: The Cure, Forbidden Desert - Matt Leacock has pretty much perfected his brand of co-op, and we like it, but again, it's not something you get engrossed in over time.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective - We've played the first case, and did pretty badly, but it was a very cool experience. I might just shut up and play more of this, however, it IS a little removed from a typical board game experience.

Pathfinder ACG - I really wanted to like this game, but the dull and repetitive gameplay did little to justify the space it occupied, much less the proposition of buying a bunch of future expansions.

Pelt me with suggestions, BG GAF. RPGs are fine, too, but they should be GM-less.

Gryph

But in lieu of a full-blown campaign, I think a game that just feels like we built something would be great.

Pelt me with suggestions, BG GAF. RPGs are fine, too, but they should be GM-less.

In this GM-Free RPGish niche realm I would recommend:

Microscope [Ben Robbins]
Shock: Social Sci-Fi [Josh Newman]
Fiasco [Jason Morningstar]

You should be comfortable with a bit of role-play for these, makes them 10X better.

Story type boardgames Robinson Crusoe and Ghost Stories are pretty great co-op experiences even with just two. I've had less success with Mice and Mystics, but if you want something simple and low stress its a fun ride.

Mechanics wise I've heard good things about Samurai Spirit but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Thanks again for all the recommendations guys!

I am going to hit up some YouTube reviews and BGG and choose one.

In the meantime I picked up Hive Carbon tonight for me and the wife.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
JmB8njzl.jpg

Alternatively as other suggest, you can go to local Staples or FedEX or even some UPS store, and they can print out on good card stock that you can cut them out. I printed these at my local UPS from PDF files from BGG. (Replacement GOOs for Arkham Horror from Gamer Night Kits). They look and feel just as nice as the cards that came with the game.

Sorry for the noob question - but any particular card stock I should be using? Or are they all good? How much does it go for around usually?

Did you happen to make any custom character cards? These things:

Dude, I have been looking into the automated overlord cards for Descent. Do you think you could help me understand how they work? I read through the rules (ok, I skimmed them...not a full blown study session) but I didnt really understand.

I have been looking for an easier guide but have had no luck. Anyway you could give me a better run down via PM or something?

RedJak version is pretty involved so essentially you can either pick Overlord deck or use the system he created to randomized Overlord deck and pick the Open Group monsters. Then you pretty much just follow the instruction on how to handle each scenario. The core of the automation are the Automated Card he devised. You printed these out and essentially use them to move and attack to give a sense of randomness of human control monsters. These are the cards in my picture that I printed using Printer Studio service.

RedJak version is somewhat complicated so you might want to try Nerdook D6 version for something simpler. It is a little simpler and you just need a D6 to control monster attack and movements. Just keep in mind its sort of like playing one player wargames when you are doing solo / coop variant. Someone still have to control Overlord. I only try RedJak version once but used the D6 Nerdook and completed 2 Acts and turn out i often lost to myself. Again this is really akin to playing single player wargame so if you try to play to win on both side then the automate overlord can put up great challenge (to yourself).

NEO0MJ

I'm so proud of my lil' bro. I've been playing Kemet with him and he's really getting the hang of it and using some neat tactics on his own. Kinda menial to most but I'm so happy.
Only problem is that he has a need to collect all the creatures.

Gurrry

RedJak version is pretty involved so essentially you can either pick Overlord deck or use the system he created to randomized Overlord deck and pick the Open Group monsters. Then you pretty much just follow the instruction on how to handle each scenario. The core of the automation are the Automated Card he devised. You printed these out and essentially use them to move and attack to give a sense of randomness of human control monsters. These are the cards in my picture that I printed using Printer Studio service.

RedJak version is pretty involved you might want to try Nerdook D6 version. It is a little simpler and you just need a D6 to control monster attack and movements. Just keep in mind its sort of like playing one player wargames when you are doing solo / coop variant. Someone still have to control Overloard. I only try RedJak version once but used the D6 Nerdook and complete 2Acts and turn out i often lost to myself. Again this is like playing single player wargames in way so if you try to play to win on both side then the automate overlord can put up great challenge.

Thank you for the reply!

I looked into more deeply last night and I think I may try Redjaks version tonight. The D6 variant was a little confusing to me (the terminology used had me scratching my head). I can really only print these out on paper though... so that might kind of suck.

But either way, im gonna give it a go tonight possibly.

On a new note - ive been painting minis for the first time ever with Descent. Ive had some success, ill post pictures later today. However, I feel like I may have primed/base coated my hero figures wrong. I used a super dark base and now I dont like how they look. Whats the best way to take paint off of figures without damaging their plastic?

Palmer_v1

I think my collection is lacking in a certain kind of co-op games.

It would be great to find a co-op game I can play with my girlfriend (so something good for just two) that you develop over time and keep coming back to. I don't own any games with a campaign mode, and it seems like that's what I'm looking for...maybe?

Here are my thoughts on co-ops we've played and/or own:

Sentinels of the Multiverse - we like the theme, but the artwork is awful and we find the game too hard for just two players. It's also really fiddly.

Space Alert - I enjoy this game; she finds it stressful. It's not the ideal game for just two, and it's more of an "arcade game" than a thing to get engrossed in.

Pandemic: The Cure, Forbidden Desert - Matt Leacock has pretty much perfected his brand of co-op, and we like it, but again, it's not something you get engrossed in over time.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective - We've played the first case, and did pretty badly, but it was a very cool experience. I might just shut up and play more of this, however, it IS a little removed from a typical board game experience.

Pathfinder ACG - I really wanted to like this game, but the dull and repetitive gameplay did little to justify the space it occupied, much less the proposition of buying a bunch of future expansions.

I've been playing Brimstone with a group. You're basically just controlling adventurers who go out on mostly randomized quests from a central hub town. In between quests, you're leveling your character, buying gear, etc. If you ever die, you simply roll up a new character. With 2 people, I'd have each player control two characters probably. It's expensive though. Has actual minis you need to assemble.

The Legendary: Alien Encounters game is a fun co-op deck builder against the board. Not much persistence, but if you're an Alien fan at all, you can basically play through the movies in order. After that, you basically combine modules from each movie however you want for replayability. It gives me a sense of having built something in that each player should focus their own deck towards a specific goal, and it's really great when your deck really kicks in towards the end of a module.

I've had trouble finding reasonably priced o-op games with any degree of persistence for long term campaigns. Brimstone is the best so far.

Sorry for the noob question - but any particular card stock I should be using? Or are they all good? How much does it go for around usually?

Did you happen to make any custom character cards? These things:

I think I paid $12.00 for deck of 35 cards. I pick standard playing card stock they offer I think.

I don't know what the custom character are for, do you have to shuffle them or are they just reference card. If they are latter then you can just go to Staples and have them print it out on card stock paper (they usually have several types for you to choose) and just cut them out yourself.

Timeaisis

Alright, help me out here guys. I played this card game at a local board game pub in my town. It's been a few months, so my memory is a bit hazy.

I guess I'd describe it as a dungeon crawler, but space themed. You have to fight through some mad scientists space station or something similar. Everyone has their own character card type and ability. Anyway, you encounter enemies, traps and the like (drawn from like an encounter deck). You roll dice (I think) to solve encounters and you also have action cards you can play. The goal is to get through a certain number of encounters (varies depending on the number of players). People can die and all that. I also remember there was like this "split up" mechanic where the party could split up at certain points and they'd have to fight encounters separately.

That was a horrible description, but it was the best I could do.

Oh wow Alchemists. Like... Alchemists. Just... like... Alchemists... maaaan.

Alchemists

Seriously though, what a fun experience that was, that had everyone talking at the table the whole time and got super invested. The phone app was really smart, and made the game a lot more enjoyable.

Though, a related story from that night we played it, the guy who brought it showed up with it still in shrink wrap and reminded me immediately of http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/some-tips-rules-explanations/

Still looking into games. What are some good review sites/reviewers?

The SO looked at the list I compiled and has shown interest in:
- Dominion
- Pandemic
- Hive

I'm still trying to gauge what I want in a game.

Still looking into games. What are some good review sites/reviewers?

Depends on what you like

- There's the huge dice tower network with many contributors, maybe you'll find one that you like
- There are many other video reviewers like rahdo, undeadviking, board to death etc. Most of them terrible and amateurish.
- There's shut up and sit down which is good.
- There's tabletop on youtube too, good production quality but usually review terrible games

I'd mostly recommend finding a game that you like on BGG and read the forum or search he videos there.

Depends on what you like

- There's the huge dice tower network with many contributors, maybe you'll find one that you like
- There are many other video reviewers like rahdo, undeadviking, board to death etc. Most of them terrible and amateurish.
- There's shut up and sit down which is good.
- There's tabletop on youtube too, good production quality but usually review terrible games

I'd mostly recommend finding a game that you like on BGG and read the forum or search he videos there.
Thanks. I'm trying to figure out what makes a game good and opinions to trust. The "reviews" I've looked at The Dice Tower and Shut Up & Sit Down don't really critically examine the games that much.

Top Bottom