• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

ultron87

I'll be there! I think this will be my fifth year? First year we will be doing 4 days. Pretty excited since that gives more chances to try long stuff. We are trying the National Security Decision Making game and True Dungeon for the first time this year.

Our Con group has ballooned to 9 people, so we're never going to be able to get a table anywhere. Lol.

Lyng

That damn political track, so many fronts to fight on but limited actions per turn make it seem like your putting out a house fire with a water pistol. Lol

Really give Dawn of the Zeds serious consideration. I'm primarily a war gamer so I thought the whole zombie thing just a fad. However I've come to realise this one of VPG best States of siege to date. Highly recommended. The deluxe ships with 3 scenarios I believe.

FWIW. I've never beaten CN myself. But I've enjoyed every beating. I prefer a harder solitaire anyway. A 20% victory chance I'm cool with.

Haha yeah the politics might as well have been named the f... u track. But that is also the beauty of how the game simulates this difficult and highly explosive conflict.
Brilliant game.

Also got Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective to the table. And man that's one awesome experience. Such a brain burner and at the same time great narrative game. I have never tried anything like it.

And also decided to delete my top 10, it's just changing to much right now.

I know several people here have Legendary Encounter, I am just curious what were your experience either co-op or solo.

I am not a huge fan of Legendary Marvel as far as solo game and the theme just never resonate with me. It's more like number deckbuilder than feeling like super heroes.

I want a game that I can play solo and also thinking about Xcom but that game to me probably better with people instrad of solo run.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I know several people here have Legendary Encounter, I am just curious what were your experience either co-op or solo.

I am not a huge fan of Legendary Marvel as far as solo game and the theme just never resonate with me. It's more like number deckbuilder than feeling like super heroes.

I want a game that I can play solo and also thinking about Xcom but that game to me probably better with people instrad of solo run.

Alien is fun but it is EXTREMELY easy solo. The best solo game I have played, by the largest of margins, is Mage Knight. It is part deck building, part RPG, part exploring random tiles.

Also, we played some Sheriff of Nottingham today and that game is absolutely perfect for our group lol.

Alien is fun but it is EXTREMELY easy solo. The best solo game I have played, by the largest of margins, is Mage Knight. It is part deck building, part RPG, part exploring random tiles.

Also, we played some Sheriff of Nottingham today and that game is absolutely perfect for our group lol.

Thanks. I love Mage Knight and I also find it very fun as 2 players game.I was just looking for some new game and just curious if it worth putting on my list to get.

I probably should hold off anyway, I already kickstart Zombicide.

Experien

Played SpyFall with two groups this week...no buneo. Too easy to identify the Spy that we have to make house rules to give them a chance. Unless something changes, I might have to get rid of it.

Palmer_v1

Played SpyFall with two groups this week...no buneo. Too easy to identify the Spy that we have to make house rules to give them a chance. Unless something changes, I might have to get rid of it.

Are you having a lot of table talk? How many players?

How is the spy getting caught so easily?

Karkador

Banned
Played Panamax for the first and second time this past week.

The first time was kind of a disaster, because one of the players was very impatient with rules explanations, and we did a lot of things wrong. Sigh..

Second time was with more patient players, and I'm pretty sure we did everything right. This time went a lot more smoothly.

IMO, Panamax is interesting because it's like a light 18xx game (or something along those lines). You get a sense of that gameplay, but it's not an 8 hour+ game (it's like 2-3). It also reminds me of Troyes, in that it is a heavier eurogame that sort of defies being categorized (especially since it has a fair amount of interaction between players).

Still, the people I played with expressed some distaste for some parts of it. The stock buying thing is a bit simplified, which I think falls short for people used to playing 18xx or other stock games - but it's still confounding enough that less experienced players will find it odd to play with, too.

Experien

Are you having a lot of table talk? How many players?

How is the spy getting caught so easily?

First group was 6, second group was 4. The 2nd group had zero table talk. The 1st group had some talk but more so cause someone was asking a ridiculous questions "do you like eating human flesh?" and we were asking if they were crazy or something.

Spy is being caught because they don't know the location. Only one time had the Spy won and that is because a non-spy was accused of being a Spy. Never even make it a full 7 minutes in any of the games.

Palmer_v1

First group was 6, second group was 4. The 2nd group had zero table talk. The 1st group had some talk but more so cause someone was asking a ridiculous questions "do you like eating human flesh?" and we were asking if they were crazy or something.

Spy is being caught because they don't know the location. Only one time had the Spy won and that is because a non-spy was accused of being a Spy. Never even make it a full 7 minutes in any of the games.

I haven't played with fewer than 6, but it seems like lower numbers would make it more difficult for spy in general. The worst that can happen is to get asked a question early before you've been able to listen to other people.

Not sure what was going wrong with 6 people for you. We had too much table talk initially, which made it more difficult for the Spy.

Experien

I haven't played with fewer than 6, but it seems like lower numbers would make it more difficult for spy in general. The worst that can happen is to get asked a question early before you've been able to listen to other people.

Not sure what was going wrong with 6 people for you. We had too much table talk initially, which made it more difficult for the Spy.

There are too many locations that could be anything. There is no basis for the Spy to really start where he is located.

joelseph

Any of you coming to Gen Con in two weeks?

About time Townie!!

I will be there from Wednesday until Sunday.

My group is 20+ so I'm pretty busy but I would love to put some faces to names. We should use Stooge's booth as a meeting point! ;)

I am green friendly if anyone is flying in and looking to relax.

joelseph

Played a bunch more Spyfall this weekend. Took it to a party and introduced it to quite a few people. We were playing max players with the standard 1 spy, majority of players new to the game. I don't enjoy the game at 8 players when the players are asking generic questions. Almost impossible to catch the spy when the questions are "What are you wearing" "What time is it" "Why are you here". Vague answer after vague answer. I don't mind the higher player count but all players need to be able to ask and answer specifically or it's just a crap shoot.

Palmer_v1

About time Townie!!

My group is 20+ so I'm pretty busy but I would love to put some faces to names. We should use Stooge's booth as a meeting point! ;)

Your last sentence made me feel old when I didn't understand what you were talking about initially. What's so relaxing about recycling? ... oooooh.

I'll be there Wednesday evening through Sunday night.

How early does the line start forming for the vendor hall?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
About time Townie!!

Stooge's booth? Whatchoo mean?

I am going to be hitting up RAM Thursday night I think for the Gen Con beer. I'll be doing the con Friday - Sunday. My brother just started playing Magic, so I'm gong to be playing a lot of that with him and probably doing some fun demos for games. I'll shoot you a PM and we can try and make a meetup happen.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Your last sentence made me feel old when I didn't understand what you were talking about initially. What's so relaxing about recycling? ... oooooh.

I'll be there Wednesday evening through Sunday night.

How early does the line start forming for the vendor hall?

On opening day? I don't remember, but early. Unless you want to experience that "rush" of people, it's best to probably wait until it's been open for 20-30 minutes.

Are there any games out there (or coming out) that have a Heroclix or Heroscape feel to them? I miss Heroscape...

joelseph

Stooge's booth? Whatchoo mean?

I am going to be hitting up RAM Thursday night I think for the Gen Con beer. I'll be doing the con Friday - Sunday. My brother just started playing Magic, so I'm gong to be playing a lot of that with him and probably doing some fun demos for games. I'll shoot you a PM and we can try and make a meetup happen.

Stooge is Pandasaurus Games. Pandasaurus/IDW booth is good people.

joelseph

Are there any games out there (or coming out) that have a Heroclix or Heroscape feel to them? I miss Heroscape...

You are in luck! New Magic the Gathering boardgame is out and it is exactly what you are looking for. Tom Vasel of Dice Tower is a huge Heroscape fan and is in love with the new Mtg board game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You are in luck! New Magic the Gathering boardgame is out and it is exactly what you are looking for. Tom Vasel of Dice Tower is a huge Heroscape fan and is in love with the new Mtg board game.

I'll hunt down a demo or a copy at Gen Con next week then. I would LOVE a new game like this to play.

My brother just started playing Magic, so I'm gong to be playing a lot of that with him and probably doing some fun demos for games. I'll shoot you a PM and we can try and make a meetup happen.

Unless you're doing the championships or main tournaments, save the MtG until after hours (6:00 p.m.). MtG runs 24/7. Sure, it'll take a little longer for pods to fill up, but you can do the board gaming con in the day, Magic at night.

Heck I wouldn't go to gencon for magic at all, you can typically play magic all the time at countless local locations, so yea unless your playing in a tournament, it's a waste of gencon fun time.

ultron87

Gen Con Magic is fun for side drafts and to play with friends you can't get to come out to a store. And you can get weird formats that happen nowhere else like Two Headed Draft or Grand Melee. Also, if you play a lot, it is dramatically easy to win against everyone who plays once a year. Lol. And you can draft at 1 in the morning when you're drunk.

I'd probably avoid the actual tournaments, because they take an infinite amount of time. Just stick to the 8 player stuff where you don't have to wait on the judge's schedule. Or at least be aware that whatever sealed thing you sign up for is going to take your entire afternoon. Especially if it has pool registration.

I also hear bad things about the MtG area of GenCon. Be vigilant about your stuff.

That's good advice for the entire convention.

EYEL1NER

Just went to the War of the Ring Anniversary Edition order page. Eh..... I don't think I can do it, I'll stick with my unplayed 2E copy.

Neverfade

Want so hard.

But also don't want to live like a miser because of it.

Wish there had been more of a turnaround between announcement and live preorders so I could have planned some finances for this.

Tips?

• Food Tips
  • Try to eat at food trucks on off-hours (like 2 pm). The food trucks are great
  • If you have a car, park at the secret garage
  • There are multiple ticket stub stations throughout the convention floor. Try not to use the one where the registration line is (it's the longest)
  • Will Call (for us Wednesday night peeps) I think is 24/7, so go at 10 p.m. Any wait greater than 30 minutes means you should do something else and come back

These are the ones off the top of my head

Palmer_v1

Tips?

• Food Tips
  • Try to eat at food trucks on off-hours (like 2 pm). The food trucks are great
  • If you have a car, park at the secret garage
  • There are multiple ticket stub stations throughout the convention floor. Try not to use the one where the registration line is (it's the longest)
  • Will Call (for us Wednesday night peeps) I think is 24/7, so go at 10 p.m. Any wait greater than 30 minutes means you should do something else and come back

These are the ones off the top of my head

Secret garage?

The Spaghetti house behind the Omni, kinda hidden, good food, never too crowded. Pretty close to the con.

Scotty's Brewhouse where the Pathfinder stuff is usually done in the past, as long as you don't go during a prime eating time, has tons of open seating, just a little further walk from the con than some folks like, so helps cut down on crowding.

JSR_Cube

Bought the Anniversary Edition War of the Ring. I am not going to GenCon like the rest of you so that is how I am justifying it.

It was killer with the crappy Canadian dollar though.

Wait will call is 24hr on Wednesday? I may be going then even though I'm not going to the con until Friday.

It should be (or at least open until midnight). I can't find it on the web page and I don't remember seeing a badge pickup email yet (will have to dig for it). But I know it's what I do.

Keasar

Played my first game of Forbidden Stars yesterday.

Had a lot of fun. The Order token system was fun with some really big yells of despair as someone realised his plans had been foiled completely because someone placed one token right. Also the combat was pretty fun by combining some dice rolling and card plays, so it didn't feel completely random. Looking forward to taking it out again.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Played my first game of Forbidden Stars yesterday.

Had a lot of fun. The Order token system was fun with some really big yells of despair as someone realised his plans had been foiled completely because someone placed one token right. Also the combat was pretty fun by combining some dice rolling and card plays, so it didn't feel completely random. Looking forward to taking it out again.

OK I will buy this one then stop I swear.

ultron87

Getting A Few Acres of Snow and Space Cadets from the Gen Con math trade. Pretty happy with those results. Space Cadets was my favorite thing we played at Origins and AFAOS has interested me for awhile.

Palmer_v1

Getting A Few Acres of Snow and Space Cadets from the Gen Con math trade. Pretty happy with those results. Space Cadets was my favorite thing we played at Origins and AFAOS has interested me for awhile.

Is space cadets the real time dice rolling game? I played that once on a lark and loved it, but nobody else around here likes that kinda game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Cyclades is pretty great. Easy setup, easy to explain and play, fast pace, everyone is interested in what each other player is doing pretty much at all time and the auction mechanic is awesome. I like the theme as well and the minis are nice quality. We played a 5 player match in about an hour with me explaining the rules and everything.

ultron87

Is space cadets the real time dice rolling game? I played that once on a lark and loved it, but nobody else around here likes that kinda game.

The one that is entirely dice rolling is Space Cadets: Dice Duel, which I also like a lot.

Normal Space Cadets is the one that is fully cooperative and has you playing a spaceship bridge crew and every station is a different timed mini game. So weapons is playing shuffleboard to fire torpedoes and sensors is pulling shapes out of a bag to fit into slots and etc etc. It is really clever and funny.

I think my favorite mechanic in the whole game is the thing that makes you eventually lose the game, the warp core repair game. Once you get damaged a bunch you have to pass out cards to each station. And then everyone has to pass around a deck to find matching cards to prevent the ship from exploding, but this has to be done in the same 30 seconds that everyone is playing their station game. So it is this amazing panic inducing thing as you're both trying to not steer the ship into an asteroid while also desperately wanting the player next to you to hand you the "don't explode" deck so you can do your part.

Top Bottom