• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

JSR_Cube

Finally got a chance to play Mysterium (Polish version) with two groups of friends. Everyone loved it. I don't know if it is a game that I will be playing years from now but it got unanimous praise and it will get lots of play. Of course, I was the ghost in every game as nobody else had played it or knew the rules. I'd like to be one of the investigators next time we play.

I think I'll skip Descent and grab Mage Knight and the D&D boardgames. I owned Ravenloft when it first came out and really enjoyed it. I feel like those games are not only more solo friendly, but "easier" for non-gamers to get into since it's cooperative. My wife doesn't like playing competitive games, so trying to get her into a game where it's her versus me is NOT a good idea. :)
If your wife is not a gamer then I would not try to get her into MageKnight, if she is anything like mine, her eyes will roll back before you finish explaining what all the icons mean.

Pandemic would be my go to game to teach someone new to co-op gaming.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If your wife is not a gamer then I would not try to get her into MageKnight, if she is anything like mine, her eyes will roll back before you finish explaining what all the icons mean.

Pandemic would be my go to game to teach someone new to co-op gaming.

Mage Knight would be for me and my other gamer friend. The D&DAGS would be for my wife. Pandemic is on my to-buy list if I can get a good deal on it. I know it goes on sale or pops up on the BGG Marketplace from time to time. That and Ticket to Ride.

Finally got a chance to play Mysterium (Polish version) with two groups of friends. Everyone loved it. I don't know if it is a game that I will be playing years from now but it got unanimous praise and it will get lots of play. Of course, I was the ghost in every game as nobody else had played it or knew the rules. I'd like to be one of the investigators next time we play.
Differences between the Polish and English versions of Mysterium. I'm glad they kept the original artwork for the cards, I hear it's one of the main appeals for the game and sets the mood.

Guess I gotta add this to my wish list too.

Jumplion

If any of you guys are dropping by Gen Con, my board game is going to be shown off there. Unfortunately I won't be there, but it would mean the world to me if any of you drop by the booth and try it out.

Now for a less spam-bot-y, more on topic question, I'm looking to get into DnD 5.0. Any materials aside from the core books (players handguide, monster manual, etc...) that I should pick up? I know the combat is mostly the same from 3.5, just trying to maybe get some friends together for a campaign and looking around.

If any of you guys are dropping by Gen Con, my board game is going to be shown off there. Unfortunately I won't be there, but it would mean the world to me if any of you drop by the booth and try it out.

Now for a less spam-bot-y, more on topic question, I'm looking to get into DnD 5.0. Any materials aside from the core books (players handguide, monster manual, etc...) that I should pick up? I know the combat is mostly the same from 3.5, just trying to maybe get some friends together for a campaign and looking around.

The PHB and the DMM is technically all you need. Wizards of the Coast has sn Elemental Evil PHB add on on their website with a few more races and spells but it's not at all necessary. There's a starter kit that for about 20 bucks that has a campaign if you want to do a pre made module but it shouldn't be too hard to tweak any campaigns from earlier versions.

Lyng

Major congratulations on getting published :)

Differences between the Polish and English versions of Mysterium. I'm glad they kept the original artwork for the cards, I hear it's one of the main appeals for the game and sets the mood.

Guess I gotta add this to my wish list too.

Umm..they didn't keep the original artworks, they changed all the character cards, location cards and weapon cards. Only thing they kept are the dream cards.

The game also changed drastically, it's an entirely different game. I guess it's depend on what you are looking for but we played several games of Tajemincze Domostwo this weekend and not sure if the added complicated rules set is really needed. The original is simple and it has some flaw (such as somewhat anti-climatic ending) but it was easy to set up and teach. We were playing using the new 2015 rule (or the Ukranian rule as I find it to be better of the two variants, but my kids disagree they rather prefer the Polish rule).

Yeah, I should have clarified that it was the dream cards that retained the original art. Those seem to be the most important in terms of actual gameplay.

Yeah, I should have clarified that it was the dream cards that retained the original art. Those seem to be the most important in terms of actual gameplay.

I think all the cards are important and we find that you look at the cards on the table much more than the dream card. Dream card certain thing would stand out and you would usually go with that and find the card of the table that you feel like a good match to your dream card. At this point, they really should just commission all new dream cards to match the design and color of the new character/location/weapon cards.

I also have to said, I though the screen was a brilliant addition especially a slot for ghost to organize card but this weekend when we played, I put up a screen (makeshift one) and everyone immediately ask for it to be removed. They said it really took out the joy and enjoyment of watching the ghost sweating it out trying to find the clue.

Ecto311

Anyone here make a game table? Any tips? I was thinking about making 2 parts that go over my existing kitchen table but with felt and raised sides almost a poker table style. Googled it and man that boardgamegeek site is a complete disaster as far as looking at pictures or navigating - at least to me right now since I am new to it.

Karkador

Banned
The content on BGG is good and fine. I shouldn't say it so loudly, but as a hobby-oriented community website, BGG absolutely wipes the floor with NeoGAF in terms of how much you can get out of it.

But yes, it's not very quick to load, and I hate going there on mobile (despite needing to whenever I'm in the middle of a game and want to check discussion on game rules or something)

Ecto311

The content on BGG is good and fine. I shouldn't say it so loudly, but as a hobby-oriented community website, BGG absolutely wipes the floor with NeoGAF in terms of how much you can get out of it.

But yes, it's not very quick to load, and I hate going there on mobile (despite needing to whenever I'm in the middle of a game and want to check discussion on game rules or something)

I get that and it is so crappy at displaying pictures or info though. Go through the print and play games thread or page (not sure) and they list the games but where is the info to get them? Well some of them are PDF files and some are straight camera shots to print and cut out like a fuckin savage. The site could be so much better and it is full of good info for sure but damn it feels like using a site map from a site made 20 years ago.

Mage Knight would be for me and my other gamer friend. The D&DAGS would be for my wife. Pandemic is on my to-buy list if I can get a good deal on it. I know it goes on sale or pops up on the BGG Marketplace from time to time. That and Ticket to Ride.

If you at in the US, Amazon might do boardgame sale during GenCon. Splendor would also be a good one. My wife and all her non-boardgame family love it. We played Splendor and Mysterium all weekend.

fenners

The site could be so much better and it is full of good info for sure but damn it feels like using a site map from a site made 20 years ago.

That's because it's a 10 year old site design, with a similarly creaking database behind it. By programmers, for programmers... It absolutely sucks on mobile because it was designed years before mobile. They know this. They spent a chunk of money & time on a redesign over the past few years that got thrown out because it just wasn't working. Another revamp is in the works - things like the marketplace re-write are steps toward that goal.

But yeah, BGG has ridiculously hidden depths of information & discussion on games, but at the same time an utterly un-modern interface.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think BGG is actually quite good once you get used to the information overload. Game pages really have almost everything you need, ratings, game weights and recommended player counts are all pretty accurate generally and most important of all you can usually get an answer to any rules question within 20 minutes. I know the UI is super out of date but I also fear the information that might be lost in a move to a more modern interface.

Faiz

I think BGG is actually quite good once you get used to the information overload. Game pages really have almost everything you need, ratings, game weights and recommended player counts are all pretty accurate generally and most important of all you can usually get an answer to any rules question within 20 minutes. I know the UI is super out of date but I also fear the information that might be lost in a move to a more modern interface.

Amen to that. In fact, there's only been one time I can recall that the rules question I had wasn't already answered.

fenners

Thoroughly agree, mostly, about content. A lot of good deep discussions have moved away from the game pages themselves to geek-lists etc, which are a lot harder to navigate & find.

I agree that the UI changes they need to help on-boarding of new users & to surface information better for mobile could break the depth of the site at the same time... Interesting times etc. It's insane that a site as big as BGG still has a design that breaks mobile so badly.

Palmer_v1

Thoroughly agree, mostly, about content. A lot of good deep discussions have moved away from the game pages themselves to geek-lists etc, which are a lot harder to navigate & find.

I agree that the UI changes they need to help on-boarding of new users & to surface information better for mobile could break the depth of the site at the same time... Interesting times etc. It's insane that a site as big as BGG still has a design that breaks mobile so badly.

I feel like they need a better front page or something. I strictly use it to search for info and rules questions on specific games. I have no idea what hot lists are for, or any number of other features that are probably useful, but too arcane for me to bother with.

Speaking of searching for rules, I'm also annoyed by their forum structure in regards to a game with expansions, or two compatible stand alone games. Does an expansion really need it's own set of forums? Do they have to be such shitty forums?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Was browsing books a million on Saturday and ended up purchasing (I know I overspent!) Ticket to Ride, Small World, and Settlers of Catan Junior. Played Ticket to Ride with the whole family, and then My wife, sister and I stayed up until 2 AM playing Small World. Needless to say, we're hooked. Unfortunately, we can't always get a big group up, so I'm looking into some fun games that can be played with either two players (my wife and I) or three players including my oldest daughter, who is 9 years old. Any thoughts?

Palmer_v1

Was browsing books a million on Saturday and ended up purchasing (I know I overspent!) Ticket to Ride, Small World, and Settlers of Catan Junior. Played Ticket to Ride with the whole family, and then My wife, sister and I stayed up until 2 AM playing Small World. Needless to say, we're hooked. Unfortunately, we can't always get a big group up, so I'm looking into some fun games that can be played with either two players (my wife and I) or three players including my oldest daughter, who is 9 years old. Any thoughts?

Sushi Go! for 3. Card game that should be easy to learn even for a 9 year old, plays pretty fast, and is very fun. Pretty cheap too.

joelseph

Rumor going around is Mtg:Boardgame will not be for sale at GenCon, but Pasttimes will have a ticketed event for 35 bucks in Hall F where you learn to play the game and receive a free copy? I believe the event sold out over the weekend. Not sure how accurate any of this information is.

Karkador

Banned
Citadels is good with 2 or 3, too (if you want something like Sushi Go with a little more to it). Sushi Go is a fine choice, though.

mre

Sushi Go! for 3. Card game that should be easy to learn even for a 9 year old, plays pretty fast, and is very fun. Pretty cheap too.

Citadels is good with 2 or 3, too (if you want something like Sushi Go with a little more to it). Sushi Go is a fine choice, though.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Do you think a 9 year old could enjoy and understand Munchkin?

fenners

Maybe? It's a game that can drag out far longer than it should, which might not be the best for that age.

King of Tokyo's another that's worked really with my kids & their friends around that age.

Palmer_v1

Definitely. I've played it with my nieces when they were around that age. I've never played it with just 3 people though. I don't really recommend it anymore. Takes too long to play and is very prone to attack the leader mentality.

King of Tokyo is a good suggestion. I think the newer version, King of New York, is superior though.

Karkador

Banned
Interesting that just as GAF 's own One Night Ultimate Werewolf forum games kick off, they announce a new version/expansion called One Night Ultimate Vampire

Palmer_v1

Realllly. Kickstarter again or what? Wonder if it will be cross compatible or not.

Edit: Here's our Mafia/Werewolf/One Night Ultimate Werewolf thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1080623

Come sign up!

Also, Copied from the BGG description:

No moderator, no elimination, no werewolves.

In One Night Ultimate Vampire, the sun has just set, and vampires have descended on your sleepy little town, slowly turning the villagers into even more vampires. Fortunately, the village has several residents with special powers, with most willing to help eliminate this fanged menace!

One Night Ultimate Vampire is a fast game for 3-10 players in which everyone gets a role: The nefarious Vampire, the well-meaning Cupid, the sneaky Assassin, or others, each with a special ability. In the course of a single evening, your village will decide who among them is a vampire...because all it takes is finding one vampire to win!

ONUV can be combined with One Night Ultimate Werewolf or One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak or both games.

fenners

It does seem like they're doing a ks (why not), and it seems like it's cross compatible

They've done Kickstarters for their One night werewolf games before, I think. Either way, not my cup of tea. I much prefer Coup than werewolf.

Came home from work to a pair of bored kids, as they're currently banned from Youtube. After spending an age picking & choosing, we played Survive! Awesome fun as always. My son, obsessed with sharks, raced ahead in the number of dudes he saved, but my daughter got lucky with the points value of the meeples she saved in the end. I was a distant third, constantly attacked by both of them of course ;)

Karkador

Banned
They've done Kickstarters for their One night werewolf games before, I think. Either way, not my cup of tea. I much prefer Coup than werewolf.

We just had a forum game of it here on gaf, and it made me eager to revisit the game in a tabletop setting

Did anybody pick up or going to pick up Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn? Plaid Hat's entry into the lcg ... ecg market?

Got mine today. Only played one game, but so far it seems really great. Got everything sleeved and will be playing more tomorrow.

Also...anyone want to PM me secret garage info for GenCon? Please? I've been going for years and know nothing of this.

I forgot to mention search You Tube for Ricky Box of Delight Mage Knight series. He has one of the best video on how to play Mage knight and actually make the game look easy.

Draxal

Wait, does Summoner Wars really not count?

It kinda counts.

Summoner Wars is a board game were you are manipulating the cards on the board, Ashes is a pure card game.

Summoner Wars also requires you to double up on every expansion where most lcg's require you to only buy one of each small expansion to get the max amount of playable copies per one deck.

However, the main distinction here for me is that Ashes seems to be going after the lcg audience, where Summoner Wars was it's own thing.

Got mine today. Only played one game, but so far it seems really great. Got everything sleeved and will be playing more tomorrow.

Also...anyone want to PM me secret garage info for GenCon? Please? I've been going for years and know nothing of this.

Got mine too, really impressed with the art direction of the game.

Love Letter is a very simple and fast game, you can also try Lost Legacy. King of Tokyo is also great (I'd go that before going King of New York as King of Tokyo is a better gateway Game).

joelseph

7drHiqrb.jpg

LAST DAY OF WORK

dancing-baby-o.gif

mre

Love Letter is a very simple and fast game, you can also try Lost Legacy. King of Tokyo is also great (I'd go that before going King of New York as King of Tokyo is a better gateway Game).
I've been watching Tabletop to get an idea of some of the games that have been mentioned. So far I'm thinking Sushi Go and King of Tokyo are games that can easily be played with my 9 year old, while also including my 6 year old albeit with help from mom and dad.

King of New York does look like the more "complete" game, but I think that's just too many additional mechanics for a 9 year old to handle, and definitely too many for a 6 year old to be able to participate at all.

Love Letter also seems like a pretty simple game to grasp and one that is portable enough to even play in the car on trips.

Thanks for these suggestions so far, and any additional ones will always be welcome.

Faiz

It kinda counts.

Summoner Wars is a board game were you are manipulating the cards on the board, Ashes is a pure card game.

Summoner Wars also requires you to double up on every expansion where most lcg's require you to only buy one of each small expansion to get the max amount of playable copies per one deck.

However, the main distinction here for me is that Ashes seems to be going after the lcg audience, where Summoner Wars was it's own thing.

Yeah, I guess. I suppose I've always thought of it as more card game with the board having been originally distributed as a paper map with the starter sets. I definitely agree Summoner Wars tends toward a different crowd than most lcgs but the only defining characteristic I really have in mind for the lcg model is that expansions are non-random card packs.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I forgot to mention search You Tube for Ricky Box of Delight Mage Knight series. He has one of the best video on how to play Mage knight and actually make the game look easy.

Just watched a pretty in depth review video. This game looks AMAZING. Definitely picking a copy up. But is Gen Con really the best place? I mean, I can get a copy for $50 or so instead of the list of...A lot more.

Same with really any game. Is there a "best place" to get boardgames?

Top Bottom