• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

I'm patiently waiting for my copy of LOTR card game and sleeves. I couldn't believe what Amazon was trying to charge for card sleeves. It is almost double the price. I checked Cool Stuff but they seem to have expensive shipping unless you go over the 100 dollar mark.
Will I have fun with the core set while I learn the game? I didn't want to spend extra money on the Saga expansions until I know I really enjoy it.

I never order sleeves or small items from Amazon I usually pick those up at local stores or buy in bulk from eBay.

We had tons of fun with just the core set and 1 or 2 packs when we first got the game. That said I am trying solo again and it is just terrible experience for me even with that recommended deck.

fenners

I'm patiently waiting for my copy of LOTR card game and sleeves. I couldn't believe what Amazon was trying to charge for card sleeves. It is almost double the price. I checked Cool Stuff but they seem to have expensive shipping unless you go over the 100 dollar mark.
Will I have fun with the core set while I learn the game? I didn't want to spend extra money on the Saga expansions until I know I really enjoy it.

Read the deck building guide I linked a page or two ago ;) Especially if you're playing solo.

I purchase my sleeves for netrunner from Potomac Distribution. It's the cheapest I've found for bulk orders of sleeves.
http://www.potomacdist.com/

Lyng

Despite me not liking CMON's business model I am very intrigued by two of their games, but will only get one of them due to how big of an investment they are.
Anyone have experience with Kaosball and/or Rum and Bones?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Read the deck building guide I linked a page or two ago ;) Especially if you're playing solo.

I'm reading through that site now myself. It's really fascinating how into this game some people are. Makes me feel good about my decision to dive in (even late into the life of it). I love that FFG is in the process of reprinting the Mirkwood cycle (which I am eagerly awaiting simply for collecting purposes).

I'm also deciding on sleeves. For the encounter cards, I'm considering just a black or red matte sleeve. For the player cards, I'm probably going to order the FFG ring sleeves. I LOVE the art on the back of the encounter cards, but I don't want to spend all that money on sleeving them with the fancy FFG sleeves. I mean, I guess I could just buy like 200 of them and have one or two adventures ready to go. As for the player stuff, using the nice ring sleeves means I can proxy without any issues.

Decisions are hard...

I've never sleeved ffg cards, really never had to. Their card quality is top notch and some of the most durable on the market. Unlike Pathfinder card game, which has edges peeling after one play, meh

XShagrath

I've never sleeved ffg cards, really never had to. Their card quality is top notch and some of the most durable on the market. Unlike Pathfinder card game, which has edges peeling after one play, meh
I don't really sleeve to protect the cards. I'm not serious enough about gaming to worry about "marked" cards. The reason I sleeve is because sleeved shuffling is so much nicer and easier than unsleeved.

I don't really sleeve to protect the cards. I'm not serious enough about gaming to worry about "marked" cards. The reason I sleeve is because sleeved shuffling is so much nicer and easier than unsleeved.

It is nice for smaller decks of cards, but when dealing with larger decks and lots of cards I find sleeves to become a pain for shuffling really. Course folks will go white at me bending and classic shuffling my cards too :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The only other FFG game I've owned was Runebound 2e and Descent 1e. Both are gone now (which I am sad about since I miss Runebound), but I don't think I sleeved Runebound. The only reason I was considering sleeves for LotR was because of proxy cards and NM decks.

Also, I'm a bit bummed that there aren't any good reviews of Kingdom Death: Monster yet. The biggest thing I've seen is people bitching about how fiddly the minis are. Also loving how many have popped up on eBay.

XShagrath

It is nice for smaller decks of cards, but when dealing with larger decks and lots of cards I find sleeves to become a pain for shuffling really. Course folks will go white at me bending and classic shuffling my cards too :p
Back when I used to play MTG, sleeves didn't exist. If I told people now that I riffle shuffled my power 9, they'd probably have a fit.

The problem I have with large sleeved decks is that they like to slide around and fall over a lot until you get all the excess air out.

Draxal

I just sleeve most of my stuff with Ultra Pro fit (if american standard). FFG sleeves are really nice but they are so oversized compared to their own cards.

aku:jiki

The problem I have with large sleeved decks is that they like to slide around and fall over a lot until you get all the excess air out.
Sliding is such an annoying problem that I don't understand why glossy sleeves are still being produced by anyone. More glare too. All sleeves should just be matted and glossy sleeves should be a forgotten mistake.

The only other FFG game I've owned was Runebound 2e and Descent 1e. Both are gone now (which I am sad about since I miss Runebound), but I don't think I sleeved Runebound. The only reason I was considering sleeves for LotR was because of proxy cards and NM decks.

Also, I'm a bit bummed that there aren't any good reviews of Kingdom Death: Monster yet. The biggest thing I've seen is people bitching about how fiddly the minis are. Also loving how many have popped up on eBay.

The rules seem like a disaster in tedium, but I think most bought the game just for the awesome looking minis. One of my good friends just got his KS of it, 20+ lb box of stuff. He has no interest in the actual game though lol

hunchback

Thanks for posting that info. That info you posted helped me to decide to buy the game. I've been reading the WordPress articles also.
Thanks for the link to Potomac distribution. I think I'll be buying all of my sleeves from them.
I just tracked my package and my game and playmat are out for delivery. Woo hoo

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So why not just transparently sell minis-in-a-box rather than promise people a good game?

Go ahead and ask that in the BGG thread about the price tag. So many people are defending the high price (since you know, they paid nothing close to that during the KS for the base game).

So why not just transparently sell minis-in-a-box rather than promise people a good game?

Its often cheaper to buy a package deal like the entire game than buying minis individually.

I'm sure the developers of the game think it's good.

Robotech is another game that sold super well cause ppl wanted cool robotech minis and maybe a good game. The game turned out quite meh in the end. Still for the price we got a shit ton of minis for a decent value in a way.

Temple of Elemental Evil is proving to be a bad choice. I read that this was supposed to be an easier (or maybe simpler is what I heard) game but it's proving to be primarily frustrating so far. Fuck encounter cards and monsters attacking first. Also fuck rolling dice.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Temple of Elemental Evil is proving to be a bad choice. I read that this was supposed to be an easier (or maybe simpler is what I heard) game but it's proving to be primarily frustrating so far. Fuck encounter cards and monsters attacking first. Also fuck rolling dice.

I haven't tried this one yet, so I'm speaking solely from Ravenloft experience...Give yourself a few extra healing surges as a buffer. Or start your heroes at level 2. Make yourself artificially more powerful initially just until you understand how to play the mechanics to your favor. Sure, the games are going to remain difficult, but at least you'll have a stronger understanding of how to conquer certain situations.

Experien

Painting up my Imperial Assault, only got Stormtroopers done and man is White hard.

Also, any advice on making black shiny like Ardcoat does for White?

Mr E.

Gotta keep revealing those tiles to trigger the end. Run through so you have a conga line behind you. Not very thematic but what ever. Yes those encounter cards can be brutal. Only played Ashardalon and that was hard.
Got tired of it quite quick. In fairness the design is an older one (dont think much has changed in newer version).

Its kinda a crappy aspect of how the game is designed. You need to explore, but that reveals monsters, who get to attack you first. So you are essentially constantly being pelted by attacks and damage. The game is a bit more about survival, as you have limited health resources and you have to try and conserve that life till you can trigger scenario end. Your life is almost like a built in timer. Unlike other dungeon crawlers, you can't really explore on your own or waste time, the game is against you and you got to make the best of what you can before you are grinded down.

It's a bit frustrating, makes it one of my less liked dungeon crawler board games.

Is anyone here into Dicemasters? I feel like it's getting bigger in my area and I like it a lot, but I haven't seen it mentioned on GAF much. I hear it's a lot like a game called Quarriors. But I've never played that.

Ecto311

Is anyone here into Dicemasters? I feel like it's getting bigger in my area and I like it a lot, but I haven't seen it mentioned on GAF much. I hear it's a lot like a game called Quarriors. But I've never played that.

I got the avengers set at Walmart thinking it looked awesome but daaaammmnnn is it complicated. Watched the YouTube video on it and even some live plays at my Hastings game night. Still can't understand or keep it all straight.

I got the avengers set at Walmart thinking it looked awesome but daaaammmnnn is it complicated. Watched the YouTube video on it and even some live plays at my Hastings game night. Still can't understand or keep it all straight.
Yeah, it definitely takes some learning. I've probably played a dozen games so far and it's still hard to keep everything straight. It's a whole lot of fun though. I picked up a bunch of boosters from the War Of Light set and I pulled a bunch of really cool stuff right off the bat.

Kitbash

Painting up my Imperial Assault, only got Stormtroopers done and man is White hard.

I was so glad to be finished with those stormtroopers, only to pick up Twin Shadows and realize there are more of them to paint.

'Ardcoat should work just as well on black as it does on white. It's just a gloss varnish.

yayaba

Amazon is a rip off for sleeves. Definitely check out your FLGS for fairer prices. I almost made the same mistake paying $7 for a pack of 50 FFG sleeves before I thought to check out my FLGS who were charging $2.99.

One Core might only let you beat the first quest solo. If you proxy the missing cards that's enough to beat the second quest. I have yet to beat the third by playing two handed but I only tried a few times. With enough perseverance it's probably doable.

Karkador

Banned

The core concept of the game is cool and fun. If you like games like Dominion, Star Realms, Ascension (etc. Etc.), Dice Masters puts a very neat spin on it. Honestly, I think using dice instead of cards improves a lot of the tedium of those games.

However, beware of something with Dice Masters. It's a CCG-style game, and it's not an elegant one. The different sets can play together, but the rules and interactions between things tend to be a flaming hot mess of jank. It's a lot of fun to play casually, but I can't even really fathom how people play it competitively.

I haven't tried this one yet, so I'm speaking solely from Ravenloft experience...Give yourself a few extra healing surges as a buffer. Or start your heroes at level 2. Make yourself artificially more powerful initially just until you understand how to play the mechanics to your favor. Sure, the games are going to remain difficult, but at least you'll have a stronger understanding of how to conquer certain situations.
I don't like the idea of just using more healing surges. :x
Gotta keep revealing those tiles to trigger the end. Run through so you have a conga line behind you. Not very thematic but what ever. Yes those encounter cards can be brutal. Only played Ashardalon and that was hard.
Got tired of it quite quick. In fairness the design is an older one (dont think much has changed in newer version).
A conga line that will be constantly attacking you. T_T
Its kinda a crappy aspect of how the game is designed. You need to explore, but that reveals monsters, who get to attack you first. So you are essentially constantly being pelted by attacks and damage. The game is a bit more about survival, as you have limited health resources and you have to try and conserve that life till you can trigger scenario end. Your life is almost like a built in timer. Unlike other dungeon crawlers, you can't really explore on your own or waste time, the game is against you and you got to make the best of what you can before you are grinded down.

It's a bit frustrating, makes it one of my less liked dungeon crawler board games.
You are damned if you stay still and damned if you explore. :\ The survival aspect would be cool if it wasn't brutal and random.

I think I would like the game a whole lot better if there wasn't dice rolling for combat or a better implementation. I don't see the point of the ac and the d20 if you are basically flipping a coin. :| Some element of chance is fine but not like this.

aku:jiki

Its often cheaper to buy a package deal like the entire game than buying minis individually.
I'd even say the word is "always". Say you buy something like Imperial Assault, that's like 50 minis (including a huge one) for $90 or so. Single handcrafted resin minis are more like $15 a pop for a typical 28mm character. The fancy ones are actually better for painting and other uses, yeah, but who can afford all that? An experienced painter will bust out a mini in a night or two, $15 a pop is just not sustainable.

That said, this is obviously not the reason KDM has hype. Despite its reputation, it really doesn't have an outrageous amount of minis compared to other games. It has an outrageous amount of cards.

Sorestro covers adding shine to everything that needs to be shiny in his video guide for IA, but I thought he just used 'ardcoat? Why wouldn't it work for different colors?

Mr E.

Unfortunately yes. Draw tiles as quickly as you can hoping to get a white triangle so as not to get an event. Leg it to exit.

You soon realise there is no scope for hanging back and taking on the enemy.

Then you realise there's not a lot of game options. I found it quite shallow.

I don't like the idea of just using more healing surges. :x

You are damned if you stay still and damned if you explore. :\ The survival aspect would be cool if it wasn't brutal and random.

I think I would like the game a whole lot better if there wasn't dice rolling for combat or a better implementation. I don't see the point of the ac and the d20 if you are basically flipping a coin. :| Some element of chance is fine but not like this.

Well it's D&D it would be weird without a D20 and ACC I think...

I only played Ravenloft a lot, my wife likes it, I also have Ashardolon. You really have to use every item and power to your disposal, and remember you can buy off encounter cards with accumulated experience, we do that a lot and it makes the game very playable. We still shriek when a wraith appears in Ravenloft though. Or a gargoyle (at least those are easy to be outrunned).

1) I don't like the idea of just using more healing surges. :x

2) A conga line that will be constantly attacking you. T_T

3) You are damned if you stay still and damned if you explore. :\ The survival aspect would be cool if it wasn't brutal and random.

4) I think I would like the game a whole lot better if there wasn't dice rolling for combat or a better implementation. I don't see the point of the ac and the d20 if you are basically flipping a coin. :| Some element of chance is fine but not like this.

You clearly don't like the Adventure Series and that's fine but the things you are complaining about are not the games fault.

1) So use your healer effectively. They usually have a power that will heal if you are adjacent to them. Also use your items effectively.

2) They aren't constantly attacking you. The monsters you control only activate on your turn. Your group should be dealing with those monsters outside of your turn.

3) You are damned if you stand still and haven't accumulated an XP pile. Canceling Encounters is an essential part of the game.

4) Have you played D&D before? Dice rolls is the foundation of the game. You make it sound like the monsters hit you every time. Sometimes you miss, sometimes they miss. Sometimes you hit, sometimes they hit. And if you are using your items or your teams items/abilities as buffs it increases your chances of hitting and not getting hit. Having to roll dice is such a weird things to cry about.

joelseph

How are Dragon Sleeves (and Dragon Matte) in terms of fit? I have been using Ultra Pro Matte forever, but the damn hologram on every fucking card drives me insane.

Standard Dragons are the same fit as Ultrapro. I would say that cards tend to stay down in the UP sleeves better. Dragon's feel thicker and they have a seam on the bottom. Dragons are less likely to split when smash shuffling. Dragons are harder to shuffle. The seam part is only important for their clear sleeves. You have to sleeve cards in clear dragons the same direction with the sleeve or the seams will start to catch on each other as you shuffle.

For Mtg I prefer UP and KMC for better shuffling and looks. For boardgames I prefer clear dragons for cheapness, and dependability.

New Warfighter expansion and the footlocker is out, good stuff. Great coop game.

Footlocker is kinda huge for storing the game and all expansions even, but it does come with lot of stuff including a nice new mounted game board thats better than the crappy poster the original game comes with. Also has the night ops expansion as part of the package

You clearly don't like the Adventure Series and that's fine but the things you are complaining about are not the games fault.

1) So use your healer effectively. They usually have a power that will heal if you are adjacent to them. Also use your items effectively.
It's hard to use the healer effectively when they can only use their healing in such a limited fashion. They are all one use each. It's hard to use items effectively when you barely have any. The vast majority of our treasure draws is the 100 gold pieces card.
2) They aren't constantly attacking you. The monsters you control only activate on your turn. Your group should be dealing with those monsters outside of your turn.
I know that but it's inconsistent given the random element.
3) You are damned if you stand still and haven't accumulated an XP pile. Canceling Encounters is an essential part of the game.
We do nullify encounters when we can, but getting a significant amount of experience isn't easy when some of the monsters only give 1.
4) Have you played D&D before? Dice rolls is the foundation of the game. You make it sound like the monsters hit you every time. Sometimes you miss, sometimes they miss. Sometimes you hit, sometimes they hit. And if you are using your items or your teams items/abilities as buffs it increases your chances of hitting and not getting hit. Having to roll dice is such a weird things to cry about.
No, this is my first experience with a D&D system. We've had a lot of dice rolls not in our favor. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
to cry about
Don't appreciate this.
not the games fault
To revisit this, it can be the game's fault if there is a significant random element such that you can have such a nonoptimal experience that the variables line up against you. There isn't much in terms of guarantee that things will be in your favor enough to be enjoyable and a decent challenge.

Phthisis

Got Churchill to the table this week. Amazingly fascinating game; not enough good 3 player titles out there. With a couple more plays, I could foresee this becoming a frontrunner for game of the year.

CPkOQCwUAAw1TQQ.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Got Churchill to the table this week. Amazingly fascinating game; not enough good 3 player titles out there. With a couple more plays, I could foresee this becoming a frontrunner for game of the year.

CPkOQCwUAAw1TQQ.jpg

They're putting out Mr. President soon, and I'm really close to preordering it. It seems SUPER fascinating. These guys make some really great games.

Top Bottom