• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

aku:jiki

Oh, no, my LGS had copies of Cthulhu Wars in stock today. They can't do that to me, I couldn't possibly not buy it even though I can't really afford it this month.

Really impressive box, if nothing else. The mini tray is hard plastic!

Per their deal with Hasbro, they can't make a board game without miniatures. At least that's what I've heard.

It's more likely a deal involving price point, hence why they keep making pricey mini heavy games. They are forcing the games to stick to hobby exclusive mainly and be out of general consumer interest with high price points, to avoid competition with their own casual cheap board games.

Has anyone here gone to Tokyo Game Market? I haven't taken a vacation in quite a few years and I've been toying with the idea since I need a break.

What's a good cyberpunk themed game other than Netrunner? Me and my friends are doing a hacker themed night and I was wondering if there were any games I could take.

Palmer_v1

What's a good cyberpunk themed game other than Netrunner? Me and my friends are doing a hacker themed night and I was wondering if there were any games I could take.

Specter Ops?

It's very much a cyber-punk future setting. 1 hacker vs multiple corporation guards. Hidden movement game like Fury of Dracula or Letters to Whitechapel.

EYEL1NER

Android? It had a real Blade Runner vibe from everything I have seen, an amazing-looking board, and plays long. It definitely seems like a rules-intensive game though.
Description from BGG:
From the publisher: Android is a board game of murder and conspiracy set in a dystopian future. Detectives travel between the city of New Angeles and moon colony Heinlein chasing down leads, calling in favors, and uncovering the sinister conspiracy beneath it all. The detectives must balance their pursuit of the murderer against their personal lives and their inner demons. Android’s innovative mechanics ensure that no two detectives play alike. Will you play as Louis Blaine, the crooked cop tormented by guilt and loss? Or will you take the role of Caprice Nisei, the psychic clone who struggles to retain her sanity while proving that she’s as human as anyone else? Whoever you choose to play, you’ve got just two weeks to solve the murder, uncover the conspiracy, and face your personal demons.

During a round, the players get action points to spend on various actions, like moving their detectives, following leads that appear on locations, solving their personal demons, or doing a location-specific action. In this way, the detectives try to advance on three different sectors: solving the murder, uncovering the conspiracy behind the murder, and finding their inner peace. To solve the murder, the detectives follow leads that appear on New Angeles and Heinlein, and find evidence that they plant on the suspect of their choice. The conspiracy puzzle is also solved by following leads, and may alter the way victory points are distributed at the end of the game. Finally, each detective has his/her own personal plots that are resolved gradually throughout the game. If the detective invests enough time in the plot, he/she will be awarded victory points; otherwise, he will suffer penalties.

The game ends when two in-game weeks (12 rounds) have passed. At that point, victory points are awarded based on the aforementioned sectors. The player with the most victory points is the winner.

Doing a solo game of Elder Sign w/ Unseen Forces and playing four investigators. More intensive than anticipated.

Edit: I was successful and only lost one investigator. It was a bit more interesting but not worth the time needed and the mental fatigue.

Android? It had a real Blade Runner vibe from everything I have seen, an amazing-looking board, and plays long. It definitely seems like a rules-intensive game though.
Description from BGG:
Android is an OK game, but really hard to get into. I've played it twice now and I think I liked it less the second time I played it. The biggest problem with the game is there is just too much going on. You have story cards, murder investigations, screw your neighbor style card play, and some weird conspiracy puzzle. I love the theme (huge ANR fan) but the game can be too much.

As for another recommendation, Infiltration is a totally overlooked boardgame from the designer of Dominion. It's set in the same universe as Android (they even reuse some art assets from ANR) but it focuses on criminals breaking into a mega corp stealing data. The object of the game is to break into the facility, going from room to room stealing data along the way. You need to be quick because the silent alarm went off and the cops are getting closer every turn. The players who makes it out of the building before the cops show up get to count their loot and whomever has the most wins. The game plays quickly, maybe an hour, and there is a good amount of player interaction. I love it and think it's the only other game from Donald X Vaccarino that is actually good.

Hoping to start my first game of Eldritch Horror tomorrow. Will be playing it solo.
As for another recommendation, Infiltration is a totally overlooked boardgame from the designer of Dominion. It's set in the same universe as Android (they even reuse some art assets from ANR) but it focuses on criminals breaking into a mega corp stealing data. The object of the game is to break into the facility, going from room to room stealing data along the way. You need to be quick because the silent alarm went off and the cops are getting closer every turn. The players who makes it out of the building before the cops show up get to count their loot and whomever has the most wins. The game plays quickly, maybe an hour, and there is a good amount of player interaction. I love it and think it's the only other game from Donald X Vaccarino that is actually good.
That sounds interesting. Looked it up and it is out of print. Vaccarino's contract with FFG expired. Huh, didn't know it worked like that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Infiltration is legit fun. It turned out to be DXV's second-best game after all, though I think at the time people were mostly disappointed. It would be really good with an expansion though as the base game is quite simple (though still good).

zulux21

I didn't even realize it went OOP. You can still pick it up for a good price on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1616613963/?tag=neogaf0e-20

huh... guess I don't have to buy it... goes to show how often I check the bottom of my game shelf :p
V7dz9QL.png

jason10mm

Gold Member
Usually FFG over-expands their games, but Infiltration is one game I wish there WAS an expansion! Been sorta hoping for a while that one would pop up out of nowhere but I see that isn't gonna happen. Probably like any more Battles of Westeros factions...

Isn't there a Shadowrun game? Crossfire or somesuch? Can't get much more cyberpunk than that (assuming you dig the fantasy/magic elements).

aku:jiki

I guess it's not news since they boast 165 KS projects in the description, but this game is hilariously shameless to me. They're not even trying to pretend that it's about crowdfunding, it really is just a straight-up webshop.

Specter Ops?

It's very much a cyber-punk future setting. 1 hacker vs multiple corporation guards. Hidden movement game like Fury of Dracula or Letters to Whitechapel.

Android is an OK game, but really hard to get into. I've played it twice now and I think I liked it less the second time I played it. The biggest problem with the game is there is just too much going on. You have story cards, murder investigations, screw your neighbor style card play, and some weird conspiracy puzzle. I love the theme (huge ANR fan) but the game can be too much.

These both sound pretty great. Is it worth owning Specter Ops as well as FoD? Heard some very good things about the latter and don't particularly want to buy something that might get superseded in a relatively short amount of time

Experien

$20 more for three shoddily painted miniatures. Oh, there's also a handful of stormtrooper figures.

Pictures make the cards look different (design), stormtrooper figures, "gold" falcon, "silver" SSD, "silver" Death Star, and translucent dice. Oh and a black box to show you are hardcore!

I am tempted but $26 on Amazon sounds nice.

Pictures make the cards look different (design), stormtrooper figures, "gold" falcon, "silver" SSD, "silver" Death Star, and translucent dice. Oh and a black box to show you are hardcore!

I am tempted but $26 on Amazon sounds nice.

Yea folks were saying from the shots and copy at SDCC, that it looked like it had higher quality cards and thicker game board, but no one has verified that about the retail product. Imagine they would maybe have said something about this officially if it was true. Assume that the SDCC copy was just the nice prototype copy.

oh boo, forgot to back Scythe for the collector's edition. Was that exclusive for the KS?

I was really tempted to back it but in the end, you are probably gonna be able to get that edition through normal retailers too. Also the idea that they have expansions already planned for it, even with space on the map feels a bit dirty.
I'd also never get it to the talbe

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Well, I have everything I need to make custom inserts; cutting mat, xacto knife, foamboard, glue, aluminum edged ruler and the design by BGG's rockman. Ask I need now is the balls to dive into it and not be afraid to muck up.

Started my first game of Eldritch Horror, it took me an hour+ to set up. I'm about two hours in and so overwhelmed. D: It's a lot to take in for one person, constantly checking the manuals. Really need to print out Universal Head's rules summary.

Well, I have everything I need to make custom inserts; cutting mat, xacto knife, foamboard, glue, aluminum edged ruler and the design by BGG's rockman. Ask I need now is the balls to dive into it and not be afraid to muck up.

So just do it! If you mess up, you just need to get more foamcore

Karkador

Banned
Started my first game of Eldritch Horror, it took me an hour+ to set up. I'm about two hours in and so overwhelmed. D: It's a lot to take in for one person, constantly checking the manuals. Really need to print out Universal Head's rules summary.

This is pretty much the Fantasy Flight Games experience, with some exceptions.

Experien

sewing pins is a good idea too. Once you glue two sides together, stick the pins through while it dries (or leave in) in case you hit it.

Russ T

Banned

Hey this is something I'm interested in doing! I have so many board games with crappy storage methods. D:

Would it be too much trouble for me to ask how you're doing it and/or what resources you're using for learning how to do it?

Hey this is something I'm interested in doing! I have so many board games with crappy storage methods. D:

Would it be too much trouble for me to ask how you're doing it and/or what resources you're using for learning how to do it?

This is how I got started: http://www.orderofgamers.com/using-foamcore-part-1/

It's the basic strategy of how I've done all mine:
- Create base with walls
- Lay out how you want to arrange things
- Put them in, one at a time

Palmer_v1

These both sound pretty great. Is it worth owning Specter Ops as well as FoD? Heard some very good things about the latter and don't particularly want to buy something that might get superseded in a relatively short amount of time

I can't speak to Fury of Dracula.

Specter Ops seems to vary from some hidden movement games by an inclusion of an interesting traitor mechanic when you have 5 players. It also has unique hackers each with their own abilities and some unique gear, plus general gear. Can be anything from a hologram to fool players, to a flashbang grenade that stuns anyone in LOS.

Each of the 4 guards is also unique. A cyborg who can control the team's vehicle remotely, including using it's motion sensor. A psychic who can track where a player was in the past, a sniper who can lock down long sight lines in a particular direction, and beastman who can move faster, and can sniff out the hacker if he's close enough.

It's also not immediate elimination if you're caught, because they need to actually subdue you.

mercviper

I can't speak to Fury of Dracula.

Specter Ops seems to vary from some hidden movement games by an inclusion of an interesting traitor mechanic when you have 5 players. It also has unique hackers each with their own abilities and some unique gear, plus general gear. Can be anything from a hologram to fool players, to a flashbang grenade that stuns anyone in LOS.

Each of the 4 guards is also unique. A cyborg who can control the team's vehicle remotely, including using it's motion sensor. A psychic who can track where a player was in the past, a sniper who can lock down long sight lines in a particular direction, and beastman who can move faster, and can sniff out the hacker if he's close enough.

It's also not immediate elimination if you're caught, because they need to actually subdue you.

Fury is pretty similar then. The four vampire hunters have different abilities. (Check if Dracula is in the current region, improved healing, improved item gains, resilience to bites) Dracula needs to be killed for hunters to win. And Dracula has an influence track he needs to advance by either leaving behind encounters on his trail that mature when that clue goes cold or by staying alive for 21 days

Palmer_v1

Fury is pretty similar then. The four vampire hunters have different abilities. (Check if Dracula is in the current region, improved healing, improved item gains, resilience to bites) Dracula needs to be killed for hunters to win. And Dracula has an influence track he needs to advance by either leaving behind encounters on his trail that mature when that clue goes cold or by staying alive for 21 days

Ah, I should clarify how the hacker wins in Spec Ops. He has to hack 3 of 4 servers that are placed somewhat randomly around the map. Guards know the area of each server, but not which specific server in a cluster that you're after. Then he has to escape to one of three exits.

Karkador

Banned
I haven't played Fury of Dracula yet, but I gotta say, the new edition looks good, and it looks like a more interesting game than Specter Ops.

Still not done with my game of Eldritch Horror. Pretty sure I'm going to lose. It's been a learning experience, not sure if I like it. More left to chance than I prefer. Compared to Elder Sign it's a lot harder to plan for risks.

Edit: Beat Azathoth with one mythos card left. Probably going to play it again with the SO on Sunday and see how I feel about the game after that.

Still not done with my game of Eldritch Horror. Pretty sure I'm going to lose. It's been a learning experience, not sure if I like it. More left to chance than I prefer. Compared to Elder Sign it's a lot harder to plan for risks.

Edit: Beat Azathoth with one mythos card left. Probably going to play it again with the SO on Sunday and see how I feel about the game after that.

The location encounters in the base game have info on what sort of thing you could expect (i.e. Arkham granted you spell, Tokyo usually killed monster etc). For me game like Arkham or Eldritch where you move and flip cards, the risk management is about knowing where your character should be to maximize the turn. The fun is figure out what is the best option but unlike Euro game where you can try to figure out the optimal moves, AmeriTrash throw in dices and randomness (which is probably why some people doesn't like it as they feel board game should all be about strategy and control). I don't mind either style of games and randomness sometimes give the thematic game tension and story. Also the feeling of rug being pull out from under you, for me is the exciting part of gaming.

My beef with this type of games used to be when the mytho cards that unfairly punish you with no recourse but the last game I played with my daughter she said something along the line that well sometimes "terrible thing just happen" and you just take it and move on. (My investigator with great starting items was pretty much gone insane after the first turn and I was pretty miff and want to eject the offending mythos card from the game but my lovely daughter remind me not to "cheat" and pick another investigator and she was right, we had a great game). My daughter is wiser than me.

zulux21

finally got all my stuff in red dragon inn 5. I didn't bother putting in the old player mats or any of the allies crap since it was printed smaller. with just the characters (29 of them) I have a row and a half left (quick estimate puts it at me being able to hold 30 or so more characters) with gold in there I can only hold like 20 more characters though as the gold takes up half a row by itself. I likely won't need it all in one go though as I can't imagine I would ever be in a situation where 29 people at the same time want to play red dragon inn lol.

The location encounters in the base game have info on what sort of thing you could expect (i.e. Arkham granted you spell, Tokyo usually killed monster etc). For me game like Arkham or Eldritch where you move and flip cards, the risk management is about knowing where your character should be to maximize the turn. The fun is figure out what is the best option but unlike Euro game where you can try to figure out the optimal moves, AmeriTrash throw in dices and randomness (which is probably why some people doesn't like it as they feel board game should all be about strategy and control). I don't mind either style of games and randomness sometimes give the thematic game tension and story. Also the feeling of rug being pull out from under you, for me is the exciting part of gaming.

My beef with this type of games used to be when the mytho cards that unfairly punish you with no recourse but the last game I played with my daughter she said something along the line that well sometimes "terrible thing just happen" and you just take it and move on. (My investigator with great starting items was pretty much gone insane after the first turn and I was pretty miff and want to eject the offending mythos card from the game but my lovely daughter remind me not to "cheat" and pick another investigator and she was right, we had a great game). My daughter is wiser than me.
My issue is with the different kinds of skill checks and how they are distributed. A character with high strength and will can clobber the monsters but if they hop into the gate they are (generally) out of their element. I'm fine the mythos cards, since you can just assume bad things will happen. There isn't enough predictability, short of analyzing the cards, to know which skill checks to expect. Edit: Missed that the reference manual give some guidelines.

I initially started out with Akachi "The Shaman" and Lola "The Actress." Lola ended up being crippled 3/4 into the game and I brought out Lily "The Martial Artist." With her I really lucked out and she got the artifact that lets you spend sanity (after a lore skill check) to get an improvement. Without that I don't think I would have won in the end.

Duress

So we ended up finding five uno decks and was wondering if it could support more than 10 players. If it does some hilarity will be had.

Top Bottom