• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

neorej

ERMYGERD!
So just do it! If you mess up, you just need to get more foamcore

True, it's just my nature to want to do everything perfect on the first try. Completely irrational, I know, but it's how it is.

sewing pins is a good idea too. Once you glue two sides together, stick the pins through while it dries (or leave in) in case you hit it.

Great idea, thanks!

Hey this is something I'm interested in doing! I have so many board games with crappy storage methods. D:

Would it be too much trouble for me to ask how you're doing it and/or what resources you're using for learning how to do it?

I've watched a couple of videos on how to best cut foamboard, I've read up on what materials to use and googled for a custom insert <insert boardgamename here>. For imperial Assault, a lot of great ideas turned up, and I picked the one I thought would be most practical.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just finished cleaning my office (finally). Time to bust out a fresh game of Shadows of Brimstone! Going to 4-man it but try the Swamps of Death heroes this time. I also really want to start painting these minis...

Unrelated, if anyone knows someone interested in a big lot of Galaxy Defenders stuff, PM me. I enjoyed what I played of it, but I'd rather just keep one epic campaign style game in my collection.

Welp, tried another solo game of Eldritch Horror. Chose Cthulhu and ended up quitting midway through. Played as two investigators and one became cursed and thus worthless. The cursed condition is borderline broken if not entirely with two investigators. Sure you can have them suicide against a monster but fuck that. I tried to go on with that character being dead weight but then I got a horrible mythos card and threw my hands in the air.

Going to go at Cthulhu again with four investigators. Wish me luck. Might be the last time I play it if it just frustrates me again.

Welp, tried another solo game of Eldritch Horror. Chose Cthulhu and ended up quitting midway through. Played as two investigators and one became cursed and thus worthless. The cursed condition is borderline broken if not entirely with two investigators. Sure you can have them suicide against a monster but fuck that. I tried to go on with that character being dead weight but then I got a horrible mythos card and threw my hands in the air.

Going to go at Cthulhu again with four investigators. Wish me luck. Might be the last time I play it if it just frustrates me again.

Maybe try adjusting the difficulty level. There are three levels of difficulty on the Mythos cards, and the rule book makes a suggestion of taking out all the hard level Mythos cards when creating your deck at the beginning for an easier experience. Even then the game can be pretty hard.

Maybe try adjusting the difficulty level. There are three levels of difficulty on the Mythos cards, and the rule book makes a suggestion of taking out all the hard level Mythos cards when creating your deck at the beginning for an easier experience. Even then the game can be pretty hard.
I did remove the harder cards that time. T_T

I did remove the harder cards that time. T_T

Ouch, but Cthulhu is one of the harder bosses. You might also think about using the focus mechanic that they added in the most recent expansion: during the moving stage you can use an action to gain a focus token, which allows you to reroll one die much like a clue. You can have up to two focus tokens at a time.

I've gotten better at Eldritch the more I've played, but I have friends that refuse to play it because of how mean it can be.

I am thinking may be co-op games are not for you. 2 Investigator Eldritch is usually not very difficult because it's much easier to collect the require tokens for the Mysteries. Anyway, co-op games are usually hard and often brutal and they have to be or these games would offer no challenge. (Which is the problem with Elder Sign core game for many people) If you think Eldritch is bad, don't try Ghost Stories or Robinson Crusoe you probably will flip the table. Also people think game like Eldritch and Arkham are all about luck but with experience playing you do get better at it.

Good luck with your next game.

joelseph

Anyone here played Shadowrun: Crossfire? If so, is it fun, and do you recommend it?

I enjoy it very much. Challenging to extremely challenging, this is a sequencing puzzle to be solved. Plays great solo. Rahdo has a couple different run throughs you should watch to get a feel for the mechanics. Some say it is dry, I disagree.

emag

Speaking of Power Grid, I'm really interested in trying the new stock companies expansion coming out for it

I had a chance to try out the Stock Companies expansion for Power Grid this weekend. It's actually pretty simple in terms of implementation:

1. Ten shares are available in each color/company to be bought (and sold) prior to each regular round of Power Grid. Upon purchase (by player from bank), part of the share price goes to the company (fixed by color) with the rest going to the bank. Upon sale (by player to bank), the share price goes to the player and the price of the company's stock is reduced by 10.
2. Each color/company's largest share holder plays pretty standard Power Grid using the money in the company's coffers, albeit without the regular ordering of colors/companies from biggest to smallest (instead from least expensive to most expensive).
3. At the end of each round, the largest share holder decides whether to offer a dividend at 10% of that round's income per share; the remainder goes to the company's coffers. Offering a dividend raises the price of shares in that company by 10.
4. At the end of five rounds, whoever has the most money in-hand + shares x share price wins.

(There are also some changes to setup and the power plant market. There are also two other, less interesting variants listed in the rules.)

Unlike Imperial or Chicago Express, however, capitalization of a single company is the key to the game; diversification is a recipe for disaster from which there is no recovery. In my single play, the first round purchases effectively determined the game. Additionally, the purple and green companies have significant advantages over the other companies (they have the greatest rate of capitalization/share price and also innately buy resources/cities first). There is some craftiness in purposefully tanking a company late in the game and then selling all its shares to capitalize another in order to backstab the second largest investor, but such a plan is dependent on a number of factors.

All in all, meta-Power Grid just didn't seem worth the added hassle. I'd give it another go, but it's no longer on my wishlist.

ultron87

Finally played Mysterium. It is pretty fun! It kind of has a similar thing to Codenames where you give what is in your mind an incredibly clear clue and then they take it in a completely unforeseen direction and everything is a hilarious disaster.

I just cut out the whole "clairvoyance" game where everyone is guessing if they think the other investigators are correct. I did this mostly just to teach the simpler version of the game. After seeing how the game ran I'm not sure I see a need to add it back in.

joelseph

I played a bunch of Mysterium at Extra Life over the weekend. It was my first time playing the American Version.

I liked the new story board the ghost gets to sit behind. The fact that the ghost creates the stories is a nice touch over the randomness of the original game. Every game we played was max 7 players, I felt the created stories helped give the investigators an edge that was needed at that player count.

At first I was skeptical about the voting but I found it to be a fun distraction. There was no game where everyone wasn't at 2 or higher. I don't think the game would suffer without it though. Guess I am undecided on the voting.

The art is good. The game is going to need way more packs though.

Palmer_v1

Got some Pandemic Legacy time in. i'll post specifics later, but so far I'm a fan.

We've done Jan(Lost, due to possibly the worst draw I've ever seen getting us 3 Outbreaks on the first player's draw)
January again(Won)
February(Won)
March(lost)

I'm not a huge fan of pandemic due to how dry it gets, but this is a LOT of fun so far.

joelseph

I started a second Pandemic Legacy board at Extra Life this weekend. We made it up to June.

Taking the original board from April later this month.

Still my favorite game experience of recent memory.

Playing two concurrently is neat to see the different relationship and upgrade combos emerge.

So far have not lost a game in either world.

Karkador

Banned
I had a chance to try out the Stock Companies expansion for Power Grid this weekend. It's actually pretty simple in terms of implementation:

1. Ten shares are available in each color/company to be bought (and sold) prior to each regular round of Power Grid. Upon purchase (by player from bank), part of the share price goes to the company (fixed by color) with the rest going to the bank. Upon sale (by player to bank), the share price goes to the player and the price of the company's stock is reduced by 10.
2. Each color/company's largest share holder plays pretty standard Power Grid using the money in the company's coffers, albeit without the regular ordering of colors/companies from biggest to smallest (instead from least expensive to most expensive).
3. At the end of each round, the largest share holder decides whether to offer a dividend at 10% of that round's income per share; the remainder goes to the company's coffers. Offering a dividend raises the price of shares in that company by 10.
4. At the end of five rounds, whoever has the most money in-hand + shares x share price wins.

(There are also some changes to setup and the power plant market. There are also two other, less interesting variants listed in the rules.)

Unlike Imperial or Chicago Express, however, capitalization of a single company is the key to the game; diversification is a recipe for disaster from which there is no recovery. In my single play, the first round purchases effectively determined the game. Additionally, the purple and green companies have significant advantages over the other companies (they have the greatest rate of capitalization/share price and also innately buy resources/cities first). There is some craftiness in purposefully tanking a company late in the game and then selling all its shares to capitalize another in order to backstab the second largest investor, but such a plan is dependent on a number of factors.

All in all, meta-Power Grid just didn't seem worth the added hassle. I'd give it another go, but it's no longer on my wishlist.

I've played it a couple of times, too.

The positive aspect of it is that if you want to play Power Grid with 2 or 3 players, it really fills in what might otherwise be an empty game. In our 3 player game of it, one player kept commenting that "they turned Power Grid into a wargame", because of how crucial the area control became. The rule about not being able to hop over cities when you build is killer.

The downside, IMO, is that the fiddliness and playtime of the game increases (and the fucking TABLE SPACE). I actually think the new layer to the game is very interesting, but I feel like maybe they should have tried subtracting one part of the existing Power Grid game to bring in this new thing. I probably could do without the power plant auctions (especially with how weird they get if you own multiple companies), instead wishing they had abstracted that somehow.

However the contents you get in the box feel flexible enough that you can pretty much create your own variant. The spirit of the expansion was to mix the stock-holding from 504
into Power Grid...so I think there is a certain spirit of "try it however you like, and see what happens".

Picked up Super Dungeon Explore for $30 from my game store. I've heard good things about it and a DnD-lite seems like it would hold my interests for a while.

Dryk

Got to play friends copies of Betrayal at House on the Hill and Ikusa for the first times on the weekend. I can immediately see why people don't like Betrayal but we had a pretty good time with the way our haunt (23) turned out.
I was the traitor. In the end the other three players got a) Eaten by the tentacle monster, b) Escaped the tentacle monster after being dragged all the way through the house only to run to the junk room, fall over and die, c) flattened to death by the tentacle monster's head
. Also Ikusa is fun but I'm not sure if I'm completely sold on how it works yet, now that I know how the different mechanics fit together a little better there's a lot of things in my strategy I would change. Also I got really fucked over by the opening draw compared to the other players.

Got some Pandemic Legacy time in. i'll post specifics later, but so far I'm a fan.

We've done Jan(Lost, due to possibly the worst draw I've ever seen getting us 3 Outbreaks on the first player's draw)
We've had a terrible first four games but we managed to pull out two wins. Our loss in February was brutal.
Black is our immune disease and we ended up drawing Algiers and Dehli for 3 and Karachi for 2 in the opening. Then on one of the first epidemics we got Istanbul for 3 and immediately drew it again from the top of the deck

ultron87

We've had a terrible first four games but we managed to pull out two wins. Our loss in February was brutal.
Black is our immune disease and we ended up drawing Algiers and Dehli for 3 and Karachi for 2 in the opening. Then on one of the first epidemics we got Istanbul for 3 and immediately drew it again from the top of the deck

Black is our CODA disease too. I swear, my ability to draw those as the 3 cube cities at game setup is really quite impressive. Delhi got up to Level 5 panic after some misfortune in our most recent game.

Dryk

Black is our CODA disease too. I swear, my ability to draw those as the 3 cube cities at game setup is really quite impressive. Delhi got up to Level 5 panic after some misfortune in our most recent game.
Our highest are Montreal at 4 and New York and Washington at I think 3. January-2 was a nightmare of blue cubes, in fact black cubes have only been a problem for us in February-1. That said we have Istanbul up to 1 and that's where one of our research stations is so it's really worrying.

joelseph

Our highest are Montreal at 4 and New York and Washington at I think 3. January-2 was a nightmare of blue cubes, in fact black cubes have only been a problem for us in February-1. That said we have Istanbul up to 1 and that's where one of our research stations is so it's really worrying.

Military stations are not destroyed, it's not a perfect solution but it helps.

EYEL1NER

Woooo! Got both Flick Em Up and Patchwork today from MiniMark. I was so glad to catch Flick Em Up in-stock and they had a bunch of copies but when I checked out there was one copy of Patchwork available. I'll be back in-country next Friday but I added them onto an order with some Armada Wave II ships and those are still MIA (hope they get to US shores by the end of the month). I look forward to trying Flick Em Up though. I definitely bought into the hype on that one.
I shouldn't be buying stuff on my BGG wish list though this close to Secret Santa selections, as sparse as it is right now. I need to throw some stuff on there in the next day or two.

Giving up on Eldritch Horror. A rumor killed three of my investigators. :| I was going to lose eventually anyway, mismanaged my time. Maybe I'll touch it again someday or just sell it.

At least I enjoy Elder Sign and have Gates of Arkham to look forward to. Also on a brighter note, got some craft supplies: a utility knife, a bone folder, a cutting mat, and a tape runner. Going to make some tuck boxes for Elder Sign and Star Realms, and then eventually get the rest that I need to make foam core inserts.

zulux21

Picked up Super Dungeon Explore for $30 from my game store. I've heard good things about it and a DnD-lite seems like it would hold my interests for a while.

I enjoyed it well enough that I got forgotten king so that I could play without a DM and got the upgrade pack to make the original super dungeon work like that as well.

it should be noted though that a 2.0 version of the game is on kickstarter right now as well as a new campaign mode called legends

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin

30$ for the original SDE is a steal - have fun with that. It is definitely 'Gauntlet the Boardgame" but if you have the right people to play with - the constant dice rolling is satisfying. I like it.

Dryk

I don't actually need a new game right now because I still have some I need to play. That said there's one last copy of Euphoria in Australia for $83 and all the rest are $115ish. Do I do it?

zulux21

It's on clearance due to the kickstarter that's going to be replacing that base edition of the game that's ending right now.

It's going to clear a million easily now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/super-dungeon-explore-legends/description

yeah I just helped that with my $150 pledge.

wish that shipping wasn't a separate thing later, gonna suck if the 10-15 estimate for shipping is off by a lot.

i need to decide if it's worth it for me to get more invested into the game, but just base savings is good as the $150 pledge gets me like $190 in product by CSI prices and includes all the stretch goals that add mini bosses, bosses, characters ect.

EYEL1NER

CoolStuffInc finally has Codenames in stock for $13.49 + shipping. This game has been my white whale for a while; it goes for inflated prices on Amazon and goes out of stock very quickly when it's at a reasonable price on Amazon or sites like CoolStuffInc, Miniature Market, Cardhaus, etc. Miniature Market had it in stock for a brief period today for $13, but now it's out of stock.
Damn. I just woke up, so I would have missed it when it was still available from MM earlier but I wish that would have been up yesterday when I was placing my order. Flick Em Up, Patchwork, and Codenames would have been a hat trick of hot games that have been OOS for a good minute.
Good catch!

Karkador

Banned
I think publishers just tend to be very conservative when they gauge demand, and there are also probably certain quantities it makes sense to produce at a time, based on different factors.

Like maybe the printer they use produces in tiered quantities rather than an exact number (like you can make 5,000 copies, or 10,000 copies, but nothing in between). So it might be that 5k copies will definitely sell, but moving 10k would be a challenge.

Or they only have a certain amount of warehouse space and budget for shipping stuff around.

This sounds like a decent board game to play :p

Ohnonono

Giving up on Eldritch Horror. A rumor killed three of my investigators. :| I was going to lose eventually anyway, mismanaged my time. Maybe I'll touch it again someday or just sell it.

At least I enjoy Elder Sign and have Gates of Arkham to look forward to. Also on a brighter note, got some craft supplies: a utility knife, a bone folder, a cutting mat, and a tape runner. Going to make some tuck boxes for Elder Sign and Star Realms, and then eventually get the rest that I need to make foam core inserts.

I own both Eldritch Horror and Elder Sign with Gates and VASTLY enjoy the second. I would sell Eldritch but I just don't think I would get enough for it to justify the process of shipping the thing. If you have not played Elder Sign with the Gates expansion yet you are in for a treat. In my opinion it makes it one of the best co-op/solo dice games out there.

Phthisis

Woo Twilight Struggle Deluxe Edition has changed to "Made the Cut"! Reprint here we come!

The Great Uniter, bringing wargamers, Euro players, and board game novices together at the same table.

(The same design team is working on a pseudo-sequel set during the 7 Years War called Imperial Struggle; Britain vs France).

EYEL1NER

I check MM right now and see that they have a ton of copies of Codenames at the moment. I want to order but I am still waiting to hear back on an email from yesterday requesting a combination of orders so I don't know if I want to email them again so soon asking them to tack more on.
It's good that I don't really have any friends back home though. I've bought enough party games that haven't and won't ever get played so maybe I can use that to prevent me from buying it right now.

I check MM right now and see that they have a ton of copies of Codenames at the moment. I want to order but I am still waiting to hear back on an email from yesterday requesting a combination of orders so I don't know if I want to email them again so soon asking them to tack more on.
It's good that I don't really have any friends back home though. I've bought enough party games that haven't and won't ever get played so maybe I can use that to prevent me from buying it right now.
Try giving them a call. I had a good experience combining orders.

I think publishers just tend to be very conservative when they gauge demand, and there are also probably certain quantities it makes sense to produce at a time, based on different factors.

Like maybe the printer they use produces in tiered quantities rather than an exact number (like you can make 5,000 copies, or 10,000 copies, but nothing in between). So it might be that 5k copies will definitely sell, but moving 10k would be a challenge.

Or they only have a certain amount of warehouse space and budget for shipping stuff around.

This sounds like a decent board game to play :p

And even if they sell out of the first run, the money is not seen right away, it all takes time. And production of a new run doesn't just happen quick, it can take weeks to produce, then it has to be distributed, etc, so it can take months for a reprint of a sell out to go through. Production also typically is not in house, so they have to queue up for reprint run along with other companies who all use the same production facility. And if it's products involving overseas shipping of any kind for the game or components, yea even longer

Wow. That Millenium Falcon has to be the worst pre-painted mini I've ever seen.

I like the upgraded board and components. Still pretty low on my list overall but we'll see.

Pretty decent game, if you've played Queen's Gambit, very similar. Very different from RISK really, the RISK name kinda feels tacked onto this really.

Top Bottom