• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

swoon

Hmm I've read the rules book and I remember there are 3 "Jobs" in the game.

1 Bank job ( 3 floors 3 safes )
2 Office job ( 2 floors ) not sure of goal??
3 Fort Knox ( 1 giant floor 5x5 grid hard mode )

I'm sure the Office job is the beginner level which is training for the bank job. Seems highly customisable so shorter games should be possible.

Obviously tile draw is a major factor but I don't mind investing the time in longer games. My son and I will play and I will play it solitaire. Once I've got a good angle on the game I may factor in a time limit to make the raids a bit more risky by having to take chances.

Seems like fun.

there's also an map genator http://gabob.com/burgle/
goal is the same in the shorter map, just 2 safes.

it's not that game is too long, but that once you figure out the puzzle it can still take a while to actually execute and most of the randomness is tied up picking up event cards which don't come out as much as needed.

all in all it's a great co-op, just with minor issues.

Mr E.

there's also an map genator http://gabob.com/burgle/
goal is the same in the shorter map, just 2 safes.

it's not that game is too long, but that once you figure out the puzzle it can still take a while to actually execute and most of the randomness is tied up picking up event cards which don't come out as much as needed.

all in all it's a great co-op, just with minor issues.

Oh thanks for that swoon.

I played a lot of games this weekend since I decided to join a gaming group and my in-law came for a visit.

Power Grid - my first time playing. Really fun if somewhat daunting for new player. One of the problem with Euro game is the experience players have huge advantage. I came in next to last after realized too late how terrible it was to start on the West coast. Still very enjoyable game and the people at the gaming group were super nice.

TIME Stories - My daughter told me to wait for our in-law as she wanted to play with more players and as usual she is wiser than her dad. We played with my in-law and his daughter. They both loves the game as they usually enjoy this type of games on the PC. We play for about 5 hours (with lunch break) as they didn't want to stop. The game surprise us and I was heavily chastised as terrible agent for missing one obvious clue in my possession but I redeem myself at the end. (My daughter was great at it, probably all the years she used to play Nancy Drew games).

All I can say is that we felt the game was worth every pennies for us. My in-law even offer to help pitch in on next scenario and was so excited when they found out that I have Marcy Case and after dinner they asked to finish off the game. As for Marcy Case I really enjoy it more than the first one (Asylum) as it amped up everything about the game. We spend another two hours playing straight through the entire 2nd scenario. I completely agree with the Secret Cabal and Dice
Tower, if you like narrative story driven game this is one of the best games of its type. There were so much tension, yelling, accusation and nail-biting end, something we never experience together in one single board game. The game would take longer but we speed up the end by setting up place we want to go.

I can't compare to Pandemic Legacy yet since I am keeping that to play when my son comes home from his leave during winter holidays.

Between Two Cities - quick to play and very fun. For $22.00 it's a great filler game with good strategy.

We end the weekend of gaming with Codenames. My wife who never care about my current board game craze, took the box and told me this is what we are playing as drinking game for our annual New Year party.

Great time playing games this weekend and I am glad I got out to meet the local gaming group. They seems to enjoy a lot of Euro especially the heavy one (I saw a group playing Study in Emerald and another playing something that look like Twilight Struggle and I think Terra Mystic). So that would be a nice change from the games I play at home.

Experien

Recon hasn't been delivered yet, which is the problem. It's more than 8 months past due and we still got nothing, yet they are advertising their new KS to us backers of Recon which has pissed off quite a few of us.

Well Recon had an issue and it is shipping now. I've had one KS that did 2 or three additional KS to help the first KS. But I'm not sure why they wouldn't advertise their new one where they can.

Dryk

I think we got up to April in our game of Pandemic Legacy that we started yesterday. I did not expect the game to go where it was going. There's something immensely exciting about playing a board game that really starts to unravel a narrative and throw surprises at you as you continue along.
I was expecting something of the sort to pop up and some point during the game, but the way it affects the game is so amazingly ballsy. I'm really looking forward to playing it with that module activated on Tuesday.

I have everything I need to make an insert for Elder Sign except for a plan or a good idea how to go about this. >_<

Update: Cut out the base and not going any further tonight. Need to remeasure cards and pieces. Probably do a mock up in AutoCAD.

Dryk

So it's been at least 5 years since I could think of anything my family could get me for Christmas and my birthday a few weeks later. I'm just going to give them my next gaming shipment for Christmas but I'm not sure what I should ask for for my birthday.

What are everyone's favourite games I might not have heard of?

Lyng

So it's been at least 5 years since I could think of anything my family could get me for Christmas and my birthday a few weeks later. I'm just going to give them my next gaming shipment for Christmas but I'm not sure what I should ask for for my birthday.

What are everyone's favourite games I might not have heard of?

What games do you enjoy?

Dryk

What games do you enjoy?
I enjoy most kinds of games honestly. I'm not the biggest fan of super casual party games or super hardcore wargames but that's about it. I'm not really sure about dexterity games either but I've honestly not really tried any.

Really enjoy Game of Thrones, Small World, Pandemic, The Resitance. But I gather that's about normal. Anything with only four players or more than three hours needs to make a strong case for itself, two player games are great but don't fit into my life at the moment at all unfortunately. As for plugging gaps I currently own:

Small World
Age of Steam
Settlers of Catan
Star Realms
Hive
King of Tokyo
The Resistance
Tsuro of the Seas
Dragon Slayer
Dominant Species
Power Grid
Dead of Winter
Love Letter
Coup
Flashpoint: Fire Rescue

And I'm already planning on picking up Bohnanza and No Thanks! (just waiting for a bigger purchase and the new edition respectively) ^_^

emag

Have you considered Battlestar Galactica? It appears to be right up your alley. Meaty, thematic, co-op/traitor game that plays beautifully with 5 but also works well with 6. It's a little long, but no moreso than Game of Thrones (and shouldn't take more than three hours in general).

I have everything I need to make an insert for Elder Sign except for a plan or a good idea how to go about this. >_<

Update: Cut out the base and not going any further tonight. Need to remeasure cards and pieces. Probably do a mock up in AutoCAD.

My suggestion is not to worry too much about the actual dimensions, and just go with a general idea of how you want the pieces to fill the space. Whenever I make inserts, I usually just borrow ideas from this thread on BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/115468/foam-core-insert-modifications/page/9?

That page has a number of Elder Sign inserts that you can use for inspiration.

Good luck!

There are several designs on BGG you can use as a guide or idea.

Here is the one I did when I first started doing the foam core. I didn't plan too well for the expansions and it's a little tight with Unseen Forces. I kept Gates of Arkham in its own box and made a small foam core for it.

4UDWnD4l.jpg

And don't get discourage, the first few might not turn out as you wanted but with practice, it will get easier to measure and cut on the fly.

My suggestion is not to worry too much about the actual dimensions, and just go with a general idea of how you want the pieces to fill the space. Whenever I make inserts, I usually just borrow ideas from this thread on BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/115468/foam-core-insert-modifications/page/9?

That page has a number of Elder Sign inserts that you can use for inspiration.

Good luck!
There are several designs on BGG you can use as a guide or idea.

Here is the one I did when I first started doing the foam core. I didn't plan too well for the expansions and it's a little tight with Unseen Forces. I kept Gates of Arkham in its own box and made a small foam core for it.

4UDWnD4l.jpg

And don't get discourage, the first few might not turn out as you wanted but with practice, it will get easier to measure and cut on the fly.
Thanks. I think I might have to use the insert solely for the cards, since they are all sleeved and I want to have both expansions in there.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not necessarily game related, but someone on BGG is interested in my collection of Galaxy Defenders...But he's in Cananda. The CHEAPEST shipping quotes I am getting for everything are upwards of $80 from here in the US. Is this normal? Has anyone dealt with shipping heavy games across the border?

joelseph

Not necessarily game related, but someone on BGG is interested in my collection of Galaxy Defenders...But he's in Cananda. The CHEAPEST shipping quotes I am getting for everything are upwards of $80 from here in the US. Is this normal? Has anyone dealt with shipping heavy games across the border?

Who are you pricing through? That seems high across the board. I believe FedEX and UPS extend into Canada for residential shipping, they might be a cheaper alternative to the USPS.

fenners

Who are you pricing through? That seems high across the board. I believe FedEX and UPS extend into Canada for residential shipping, they might be a cheaper alternative to the USPS.

But watch for extra customs charge potential through them, I suspect.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
But watch for extra customs charge potential through them, I suspect.

The guy said he's had a lot of trouble with UPS opening and damaging packages with UPS (as well as excessively high extra charges like fenners alluded to). I'll check what priority boxes for USPS happen to be. Cheers guys.

zulux21

I enjoy most kinds of games honestly. I'm not the biggest fan of super casual party games or super hardcore wargames but that's about it. I'm not really sure about dexterity games either but I've honestly not really tried any.

Really enjoy Game of Thrones, Small World, Pandemic, The Resitance. But I gather that's about normal. Anything with only four players or more than three hours needs to make a strong case for itself, two player games are great but don't fit into my life at the moment at all unfortunately. As for plugging gaps I currently own:

And I'm already planning on picking up Bohnanza and No Thanks! (just waiting for a bigger purchase and the new edition respectively) ^_^

with that list not being super different from a number of my likes I think I will add a few games others might not recommend

co op team based games
Legendary (marvel or alien or other versions)
sentinals of the multiverse

fun lighthearted PVP card game somewhere between love letter and the resistance
Red Dragon Inn.

with catan in mind
Machi Koro (catan with more control)

clue + groundhogs day
Tragedy Looper

it'd also likely be worth looking into
Seasons
Pandemic

finally if you should look into
Hanabi

simple easy to learn card game that is lots of fun.

The guy said he's had a lot of trouble with UPS opening and damaging packages with UPS (as well as excessively high extra charges like fenners alluded to). I'll check what priority boxes for USPS happen to be. Cheers guys.
fenners is right, UPS and FedEx are almost guaranteed to have extra charges on (our) the Canadian recipient's end. Most of the time, USPS won't have the handling fees.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Munchkin. I can't recommend it enough. It's quick, easy to learn and loads of fun.

For a good Munchkin alternative, pick up Wiz War.

I didn't find Cuthroat Caverns to be very good. It felt a lot like Wiz War without the powers. Through out the entire game I played I wished we were just playing Wiz War instead.

Keasar

Munchkin is honestly kinda terrible.

It has silly and funny cards at best, but playing the game is horrible and drags on for so long that it usually always ends in some players deciding to make one player win so that it just ends.

ultron87

We Didn't Playtest This At All is my favorite in the "take that/random nonsense" genre that Munchkin and Fluxx also inhabit. Every piece of heinous bullshit in that is fine because each game takes 5 minutes tops.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm so bummed I cn't spend much time at BGG Con this year. Glad I had a baby, but I wish I could spend more time. We're having an event, and I basically can only go to that.

zulux21

Munchkin is honestly kinda terrible.

It has silly and funny cards at best, but playing the game is horrible and drags on for so long that it usually always ends in some players deciding to make one player win so that it just ends.

it's fine as long as you aren't playing with a bunch of people stockpiling cards from the very end, just screw with people from start to finish, and have an absolute hard limit of 4 players.

either way I would just play ninja burger or chez geek instead. same creator far better games as the end game doesn't dragon on forever.

Munchkin is fine gateway game, cause of it's simplicity. If you want a quick playing short game, though don't bother. If your group is more casual and wont mind spending good amount of time hanging and playing something, then it's not a bad choice.

Some folks mix up the idea of gateway and it requiring the game to play super fast. Munchkin is very much a gateway game. Some players rather play a game of munchkin than something of equal length that is too complex for them.

Russ T

Banned
My main problem with Munchkin is it doesn't have a turn limit. It's decent fun with the right group but every group eventually tires of its gimmick. I think that'd be solved by keeping a score instead (although it essentially already has one, with levels, but levels go up and down all the time, so I'd pick something else) and just cutting it off at X turns (or some other more interesting mechanic).

On the other hand I always like Fluxx, because it cracks me up how long it ends up going sometimes. Like you've changed the rules so much that suddenly one person is playing and drawing fifty cards in their turn because they just got the right combination. So I'm a huge hypocrite.

Karkador

Banned
There's no one silver bullet gateway game, because there are several factors about games that can put people off. You have to really think about it like "what kind of moments do I think my company would like the most?", and take it from there

Chorazin

My gaming group has actually been playing the same games for a few weeks now. Arcadia Quest when it's three of us, Blood Rage when we can get our fourth member there.

It's incredibly refreshing to not have to learn a whole new game almost every week!

joelseph

There's no one silver bullet gateway game, because there are several factors about games that can put people off. You have to really think about it like "what kind of moments do I think my company would like the most?", and take it from there

PANDEMIC! =)

Blizzard

Banned
Munchkin with an hour (or 1.5 hour) limit is about the only way it became tolerable. Finish the hour, highest score wins, TIME FOR SOME OTHER GAME. Otherwise we ended up with 5 people and something like 3 hours one game. :(

Dryk

The thing I take away from most discussions I see about Munchkin is that mentioning it is a good way to start fights amongst gamers.

So we played May in Pandemic Legacy last night, got curbstomped two games in a row. Scientist and Researcher both scarred, two cities fallen, many more rioting.
Jakarta, Bangkok and Hong Kong (there's a research station there dammit!) all faded. The second game we ended up with a pulling 3s and 2s on a triangle of faded cities but even through all of that we lost the turn before I would've been able to finish the game.
On the bright side we're back to 4 funding... yaaaaaay...

Starting to design my insert for Elder Sign in AutoCAD. I don't think there is enough room in the box to hold the cards for the base game and expansions, since they are all sleeved. :| Will need to find another box to use.

zulux21

I'd rather play Munchkin than CAH any day of the week, haha.

I'd rather play most anything than cards against humanity :/
want to talk about tiring of a gimmick quickly @_@

that being said I need to try apples to apples with dixit rules sometime. I have a feeling apples to apples will be a lot more enjoyable if you throw out the deck that has a theme and instead just allow the main person to name something, play a card, and everyone else plays a card and then votes like in dixit.

of course I have to get a foam mallet as well to hit the first person who wants to not stop at X score upside the head, as while I didn't mind apples to apples at first, it just never ended no matter who I played it with @_@

Starting to design my insert for Elder Sign in AutoCAD. I don't think there is enough room in the box to hold the cards for the base game and expansions, since they are all sleeved. :| Will need to find another box to use.
That's why I keep Gates in its own box. It is almost an entirely new game anyway. I understand the need to want everything in one box but lately I like to have my games and expansions be separated and it also not feasible with many of the FFG games.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Munchkin with an hour (or 1.5 hour) limit is about the only way it became tolerable. Finish the hour, highest score wins, TIME FOR SOME OTHER GAME. Otherwise we ended up with 5 people and something like 3 hours one game. :(

Heh, never had that. Usually, we're done under the hour. But yeah, it's shelved almost immediatly and another game comes out.

Russ T

Banned
that being said I need to try apples to apples with dixit rules sometime. I have a feeling apples to apples will be a lot more enjoyable if you throw out the deck that has a theme and instead just allow the main person to name something, play a card, and everyone else plays a card and then votes like in dixit.

of course I have to get a foam mallet as well to hit the first person who wants to not stop at X score upside the head, as while I didn't mind apples to apples at first, it just never ended no matter who I played it with @_@

Yeah I really wanna do that! Sounds like so much fun. Unfortunately when I moved to Dallas I lost my core gaming group and I haven't managed to find one that would be down for stuff like that. Everyone at the office is all about... well mostly Zombicide. It's damn near impossible to talk them into anything else. I like zombicide well enough but I'd like variety more...

The Enchanter

Neo Member
Hey all.

I've recently moved to London and am wanting to know if there are any groups that get together regularly to play board games in a pub somewhere? I checked meetup and there seems to be a few groups, but they haven't done anything in a while.

Missing my little group back in Sydney, nothing quite brings people together than an 8 hour game of Arkham Horror.

Open to any recommendations. At the moment I'm at Clapham Junction but happy to travel around a bit.

Top Bottom