• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Played another game of Gates of Arkham and managed to win! By the skin of my teeth. >_> The Ancient One, Ghatanothoa, awakened and was luckily easier to defeat than anticipated. I fudged some rules such as forgetting about Ghatanothoa's ability and placing the seal tokens, which worked in my favor to some degree. I played with four random investigators this time, having used two in the previous game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey all.

I've recently moved to London and am wanting to know if there are any groups that get together regularly to play board games in a pub somewhere? I checked meetup and there seems to be a few groups, but they haven't done anything in a while.

Missing my little group back in Sydney, nothing quite brings people together than an 8 hour game of Arkham Horror.

Open to any recommendations. At the moment I'm at Clapham Junction but happy to travel around a bit.
If I lived in London I'd definitely play Netrunner with Quinns any chance I could.

Have you tried Board Game Geek? Funnily enough I was just messing about in my profile settings there and noticed that if one elects to have one's account added to the membership database it enables a search for fellow members based on post code. Might be just what you're looking for? In the unlikely event that there isn't a currently unknown to you local group, you could liaise with some other members local to you and perhaps start one yourselves?

Hey all.

I've recently moved to London and am wanting to know if there are any groups that get together regularly to play board games in a pub somewhere? I checked meetup and there seems to be a few groups, but they haven't done anything in a while.

Missing my little group back in Sydney, nothing quite brings people together than an 8 hour game of Arkham Horror.

Open to any recommendations. At the moment I'm at Clapham Junction but happy to travel around a bit.

The Enchanter

Neo Member
Thanks for the tips all! I didn't realise that BGG had that level of functionality re search for postcode in particular. Still kind of newish as a member though I've been reading their discussions on games for years.

Would much appreciate a head up fenners on future group meet ups!

And netrunner looks phenomenal, really cool concept. I like the idea that each player has both the opposing corp/runner sides.

Went to Dragon's Lair in San Antonio today. Decent but overpriced selection. I don't get how shops like that stay open unless people are oblivious to online shops. The only way I'd buy from a shop like that is if I considered the markup a donation.

fenners

Went to Dragon's Lair in San Antonio today. Decent but overpriced selection. I don't get how shops like that stay open unless people are oblivious to online shops. The only way I'd buy from a shop like that is if I considered the markup a donation.

Dragon's Lair is typically RRP, I haven't seen them overprice (not here in Austin). They have a bustling Magic/table-top communities, typically ridiculously busy on the weekend, with a large friendly atmosphere. They stay in business because people want a community & want games immediately. Same as every other store.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Isn't that pretty much every FLGS? Only exceptions being places like Compleat Strategist in Manhattan where they'll go way over even MSRP. Usually only time I'll buy from FLGS is if they have something I really want for the weekend, something out of stock online, or something I use my Netrunner tournament gift cards for. Mind you, I would be more than happy to pay for table space at a board-game cafe or whatever, but just paying extra I won't do unless there's a really strong reason.

emag

Isn't that pretty much every FLGS? Only exceptions being places like Compleat Strategist in Manhattan where they'll go way over even MSRP. Usually only time I'll buy from FLGS is if they have something I really want for the weekend, something out of stock online, or something I use my Netrunner tournament gift cards for. Mind you, I would be more than happy to pay for table space at a board-game cafe or whatever, but just paying extra I won't do unless there's a really strong reason.

We had a great comics shop/FLGS near where I live that offered 10% off MSRP (for regulars, but really anyone). If you were just buying one or two games, it often worked out better than going though the online discounters and paying shipping. (Unfortunately, the owner passed away a few years ago and his family shut it down. From what I heard from the manager, it never was a profitable venture anyway, just a labor of love.)

Dragon's Lair is typically RRP, I haven't seen them overprice (not here in Austin). They have a bustling Magic/table-top communities, typically ridiculously busy on the weekend, with a large friendly atmosphere. They stay in business because people want a community & want games immediately. Same as every other store.
On second thought the prices might have been a 1% under MSRP. I'm so used to online prices that anything close to MSRP is absurd.

Only other game shop I've been to is Madness in Plano, which was straight up MSRP.

This is the only reason I even go to The Strategist these days...if I need something in a pinch. 70 bucks for the Legendary Encounter games..fuck that, Mike.

Blizzard

Banned
I've occasionally bought something from my local game store if I wanted it quick or wanted to support them. But yeah, no one can compete against the likes of Amazon, so I feel like people buying there are partially doing so because they want a game store / community to keep existing.

zulux21

the stores basically rely on people going in there that are buying gifts for friends and don't know online is a lot cheaper or from creating a community of fans that buy games from them to help support them.

and then they have the rare board game fan that has to have something right away when they find out about a game and just runs to the store even if it is $20 more to get it right away.

I enjoy wondering into the local shops from time to time or looking at cons, but rarely do I ever buy anything as the prices are so high.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This is the only reason I even go to The Strategist these days...if I need something in a pinch. 70 bucks for the Legendary Encounter games..fuck that, Mike.

I went in there once and it was by far the unfriendliest LGS I'd ever been to. First of all, the layout is just horrendous. Games stacked on top games. Then even though I was the only person there the counter person didn't even acknowledge it and just seemed annoyed. I was actually going on with complete intent to purchase but they turned me off entirely. The place down here now though -- Game Kastle in Santa Clara -- they're really amazing. They run Netrunner tournaments with $3 entry fees and give everything back as gift cards after they've covered the cost of the official tournament prizes. If I lived closer and had a bit more time I'd probably be down there more often as they have a really nice gaming space. I think that's gonna be the key for a lot of these places -- figure out how to monetize more than just selling games.

I went in there once and it was by far the unfriendliest LGS I'd ever been to. First of all, the layout is just horrendous. Games stacked on top games. Then even though I was the only person there the counter person didn't even acknowledge it and just seemed annoyed. I was actually going on with complete intent to purchase but they turned me off entirely. The place down here now though -- Game Kastle in Santa Clara -- they're really amazing. They run Netrunner tournaments with $3 entry fees and give everything back as gift cards after they've covered the cost of the official tournament prizes. If I lived closer and had a bit more time I'd probably be down there more often as they have a really nice gaming space. I think that's gonna be the key for a lot of these places -- figure out how to monetize more than just selling games.

I like the sheer amount of games in there but really don't like most of the staff, except for the guy I mentioned earlier Mike. The old bald guy that works there looks like he can't give a fuck less when you try to engage him at all with any form of conversation. And the Asian kid that works there seems like he hates games while being the most socially awkward person on the planet. I really don't know how they have stayed open so long when paying Midtown rent. That's a lot of copies of Carcassonne!.

espher

My FLGS sells games at prices that are usually within $2 (higher or lower) than Meeplemart - though he doesn't carry a floating inventory beyond CCGs and Dicemasters and most of his revenue seems to be through hockey/baseball cards.

The other (bigger) FLGS in town sells at MSRP++ and they are the ones that drove me online in the first place haha.

Draxal

FLGS have to turn into service providers more than retailers at this moment, and it's becoming a trend.

Karkador

Banned
I guess brick and mortar shops are pretty much locked in on price points. My local shop males most money via Magic,Pokemon cards etc.

At least they don't up the price like scalpers on eBay etc when items get rare.

Eh, some of the established national game shops (I'm particularly thinking of CoolStuff at the moment) do some pricing shenanigans with certain games.

Completed my tour of San Antonio and went by Alien Worlds. Not as nice as Dragon's Lair. A couple of tables of people playing Star Wars Armada in a not so big shop. Biggest plus is they had the trade comics books in sleeves. The board game organization is subpar with a decent selection. A lot more geek memorabilia than Dragon's Lair.

Blizzard

Banned
I finally got to play Mysterium (as the ghost) with 6 psychics. Unfortunately I tried medium difficulty and it was EXTREMELY difficult to give clues that were at all logical with such a limited hand size and the vague dream cards.

I gave one player, for example, maybe 8 cards that were covered in green (and they were even commenting about the green) before they finally picked the only character that seemed to have any green on their outfit. And that was only after I gave a hint that I might sometimes be using colors for association.

Only one player made it to the end before the clock ran out, so I did 2-3 extra rounds to at least finish it. I felt like I did really badly but I don't know if I was just unlucky or if the game really is that difficult. If I spent more time to think about cards, that slowed the game down even more, sadly.

ultron87

Were you drawing back up to 7 after you gave each person one or more cards? You should always be picking from 7 for each player.

Blizzard

Banned
Were you drawing back up to 7 after you gave each person one or more cards? You should always be picking from 7 for each player.
Yep, but I would typically have something like, 5 orange and 2 blue cards, none of which remotely relate to a black-and-white woman in a cap with sewing material.

And if I give one card that's not a very good hint, that just adds to the confusion when I assign even more card(s) on top of that the next turn and people try to draw connections.

On the plus side, the clairvoyance voting was kind of fun. Two players got to the 3-card level because of negative votes (even against themselves).

joelseph

Giving one card is typically better. If you play enough and develop strong meta game signs, passing multiple "established" cards can be okay. The other time it is good to pass multiples is when the investigator is falling behind and has only a limited pool to guess from. Dumping your hand when they already know their guess is a good way to get a hand refill without blowing a raven.

I found the American version easier after everyone caught on to the idea of story building. In the Polish version the Person, location and weapon were random, not story built. In the American version people tend to build stories with the Cook in the Kitchen using the pan etc. Remind your newer players to keep possible stories in mind.

NEO0MJ

That feeling when you buy a game and it's left in the corner for two weeks because everyone insists on playing more Smash ( ._.)

Lyng

So I got to play Codenames this friday.
Is it just me or is that game a bit overrated?
Its quiet good but doesnt strike me as the be-all-end-all partygame some reviewers make it sound like.

That feeling when you buy a game and it's left in the corner for two weeks because everyone insists on playing more Smash ( ._.)

Smash Up?
And yeah like Joel said what game?! :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I got to play Codenames this friday.
Is it just me or is that game a bit overrated?
Its quiet good but doesnt strike me as the be-all-end-all partygame some reviewers make it sound like.

I love Codenames. Like, would rate it as one of the best party games out there. It shouldn't even be listed as playable with four though as imo you need six minimum for it to click a little. It's got a bit of 7 Wonders to it in that it's not just the mechanics, but also the unique play flexibility. So in Codenames you can have people come in and out, size of teams is almost irrelevant, etc. And you have a lot of funny situations especially with larger groups where the cluegivers and guessers are just both looking at each other like 'wtf are you getting at?' :p But you also have those amazing moments when the guessers totally get an obtuse clue and it's like 'wow guesser, are we soulmates perhaps?' but of course you can't say it because of the spymaster's vow of silence. So you have really good highs and lows which is great for a party game. It's really been the perfect game for our work game group where we have very few gamers and unpredictable numbers.

I played Machi Koro again last night and it kind of has something similar to it -- when I played it with gamers I was relatively tepid on it. But we played it with a couple non-gamer friends last night and it was a ton of fun.

Know yourself and your audience is I guess my point. :p

Lyng

I love Codenames. Like, would rate it as one of the best party games out there. It shouldn't even be listed as playable with four though as imo you need six minimum for it to click a little. It's got a bit of 7 Wonders to it in that it's not just the mechanics, but also the unique play flexibility. So in Codenames you can have people come in and out, size of teams is almost irrelevant, etc. And you have a lot of funny situations especially with larger groups where the cluegivers and guessers are just both looking at each other like 'wtf are you getting at?' :p But you also have those amazing moments when the guessers totally get an obtuse clue and it's like 'wow guesser, are we soulmates perhaps?' but of course you can't say it because of the spymaster's vow of silence. So you have really good highs and lows which is great for a party game. It's really been the perfect game for our work game group where we have very few gamers and unpredictable numbers.

I played Machi Koro again last night and it kind of has something similar to it -- when I played it with gamers I was relatively tepid on it. But we played it with a couple non-gamer friends last night and it was a ton of fun.

Have you tried it with non gamers?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Codenames I've only done at work. Great with non-gamers. OK with four but a bit dull. Machi Koro better with non-gamers imo.

Blizzard

Banned

I could see Machi Koro being fun with non-gamers because they might not break the game the first couple of rounds. It felt very snowbally to me even with more than 2 players, and certain cards seemed 100% the best even with random stacks, but I didn't try Millionaire's Row.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Harbor introduces a ton of variance, which I actually actually like because yeah Machi Kori strategy is pretty solvable otherwise.

Lyng

Codenames I've only done at work. Great with non-gamers. OK with four but a bit dull. Machi Koro better with non-gamers imo.

I only played it 4player. Need to try it with more. Like I said, I like the game, just dont find it to be anything special. But will try with more :)

Blizzard

Banned
Harbor introduces a ton of variance, which I actually actually like because yeah Machi Kori strategy is pretty solvable otherwise.
Even with that, the sushi shops were incredibly strong earlier for some games. There were a lot of turns where people could just sit around and do NOTHING because odds of hitting one or two red cards that other players had prevented people from getting enough money to roll two dice.

I am probably sounding like a broken record though. I might have mentioned one of my personal preferences on games before: I kind of dislike parts in games where people aren't actually playing. For example, parts where one player keeps taking long turns with various choices, but other players are doing nothing but (Machi Koro) "roll dice" "saving/paying money, pass") or (Talisman) "roll dice" "you get one effect or maybe nothing happens while you wait on the correct dice roll" "pass".

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I only played it 4player. Need to try it with more. Like I said, I like the game, just dont find it to be anything special. But will try with more :)

Oh yeah man -- I mean maybe it's not your thing either way, but it's a completely different game with actual teams rather than just 1-on-1 for each team. Not only is it fun to puzzle through clues with someone, but also your discussion can help guide the Spymaster's clues. Also becomes way more of a party game which is where the game feels its strongest.

Even with that, the sushi shops were incredibly strong earlier for some games. There were a lot of turns where people could just sit around and do NOTHING because odds of hitting one or two red cards that other players had prevented people from getting enough money to roll two dic
Yeah, I'm really no expert. I think I've played maybe four games. I would much rather play it than Catan though, which has a similar vibe imo (though obviously is a much better game mechanically). But I'm a Catan hater. :p

I now have a 1:2 win/lose ratio with Gates of Arkham. Multiple poor choices were made during my last game, including picking Atlach-Nacha as the Ancient One. Still like it more than Eldritch Horror.

I now have a 1:2 win/lose ratio with Gates of Arkham. Multiple poor choices were made during my last game, including picking Atlach-Nacha as the Ancient One. Still like it more than Eldritch Horror.

Gates is a lot like Arkham Horror lite to me, I like it a lot and really improve Elder Sign but for group play I find Eldritch to have better narrative. I rarely play Eldritch solo, usually Elder and Arkham Horror.

I am really tempted to get all the investigator figures from FFG sale. $2.00 sound really cheap until you add them up.

emag

How did I not know about the new Concordia: Salsa expansion that's already in stores? It looks great -- adding variable player powers that can be earned using the Tribune action as well as Salt as a "wild" commodity and two great new maps.

I've always felt that Concordia was a little too simple and straightforward of a game; Salsa seems to flesh it out fully.

swoon

How did I not know about the new Concordia: Salsa expansion that's already in stores? It looks great -- adding variable player powers that can be earned using the Tribune action as well as Salt as a "wild" commodity and two great new maps.

I've always felt that Concordia was a little too simple and straightforward of a game; Salsa seems to flesh it out fully.

Pretty excited about the expansion, though i didn't think it was too simple - the set collection/combos added the depth I was wanting. the salsa box is somehow even worse than the concordia box which is quite the accomplishment.

we got in a couple of games of the gallerist this weekend and i'm head over heels about it. finally realized the promise of both vinhos/co2.

we also played a four player game of codenames which feel very flat though i don't really the basics enough to try at more players, and a drunken game of sheriff of nottingham which was great.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
miniaturemarket has legit amazing holiday sales. Just picked up so much stuff from them -- for presents, for friends, and for myself. :p I don't really bother much with CSI sales because they're usually really weak (although I use them for all regular purchases).

Karkador

Banned
I made my own copy of Container (a very out-of-print, stuck-in-legal-limbo game); it's been very popular in my gaming circle, and has inspired others to make their own copies.

If you haven't heard of it, it's a game about buying/selling things from each other, with the intention to make money and collect sets. It's an economy sim with very simple rules, but very unforgiving consequences for everyone if you spend unwisely and make bad moves...so I would hesitate to call it "light".

I like getting knee-deep into complicated games now and then (especially if they're good), but there is something VERY satisfying about "simple" games that form this exponential complication of decisions as people interact.

Top Bottom