• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

elyetis

I got my copy from amazon.de for about 87€ and when I checked the UK store had it in a similar price range. I think they both deliver to France as well.
I did check the UK store but the first 2 or 3 seller I checked didn't deliver to France. But I did forgot about amazon.de... and now just ordered it, so thank you !

Now I just wonder how long I will be able to resist also making an order for BattleCON: War of Indines Remastered then Armory: Battlecon.

Kensuke

Hello, new board game fan here. Somehow ended up getting into the hobby after researching board games because I wanted to get a fun one for my SO for Christmas. Literally spent hours reading about all these cool board games I've never heard of. After researching so much I ended up buying quite a few:

First I got Pandemic for myself, but my SO also loved it. It's still my favorite game so far. I love the components, the theme and co-op nature. After a lot of research I bought Patchwork, Takenoko and Sushi Go for my SO for Christmas. They are all cute games with nice themes that look instantly fun. That was important, because more abstract, complex or weird fantasy stuff would have turned my SO off for sure. We've had a lot of fun with the games this week.

Later on I also got Ticket to Ride Anniversary Edition to play with my family and they all loved it. I think it might be a bit too simplistic though. I won both games we played by figuring out that building long routes and going cross-country nets you tons of points. Overall I'm surprised by how fun modern board games are and how varied they can be as well. Though I mostly bought simple games the rules weren't hard to understand either, maybe because I'm used to video game stuff.

I have two questions for you guys. What should I get next? And is there anyone here from the Netherlands? I feel board games are really expensive over here, especially expansions. I was looking at the On The Brink expansion for Pandemic and it's almost as expensive as the base game. How am I supposed to build a nice collection without spending a ton of money?

sasimirobot

How am I supposed to build a nice collection without spending a ton of money?

I live in China so I feel your pain, if you can find sellers on Amazon.com that ship overseas you can bulk buy and cut your shipping costs. Also if you are interested check out www.taobao.com, search it in English for cheap games (a lot are manufactured here in China), and get back at me, I would be willing to help you buy and ship from there also. Why? Because I love board gaming now because I made the mistake to read this thread a few years ago...

PS. the first expansion for Pandemic is awesome, the one with the petri dishes

Gurrry

Got to play Imperial Assault skirmish for the first time last night and damn I love it. Vader seems a little OP though compared to Luke, which I guess is cannon but it doesnt really make for an easy game if youre the Rebels.

I am still a little iffy on the rules though. Some command cards didnt make sense to me. I also wasnt sure if I could attack, then use one of my characters abilites too? For instance, attack with vader using my regular attack, then use force choke.

The command cards said something like "use at the beginning of a turn, you dont get to move any deployment cards until your opponent has less than you". Am I supposed to play that on my opponent? Or is that a debuff on me?

Either way, it was still fun. I enjoy playing skirmish more than being the DM.

Hello, new board game fan here. Somehow ended up getting into the hobby after researching board games because I wanted to get a fun one for my SO for Christmas. Literally spent hours reading about all these cool board games I've never heard of. After researching so much I ended up buying quite a few:

First I got Pandemic for myself, but my SO also loved it. It's still my favorite game so far. I love the components, the theme and co-op nature. After a lot of research I bought Patchwork, Takenoko and Sushi Go for my SO for Christmas. They are all cute games with nice themes that look instantly fun. That was important, because more abstract, complex or weird fantasy stuff would have turned my SO off for sure. We've had a lot of fun with the games this week.

Later on I also got Ticket to Ride Anniversary Edition to play with my family and they all loved it. I think it might be a bit too simplistic though. I won both games we played by figuring out that building long routes and going cross-country nets you tons of points. Overall I'm surprised by how fun modern board games are and how varied they can be as well. Though I mostly bought simple games the rules weren't hard to understand either, maybe because I'm used to video game stuff.

I have two questions for you guys. What should I get next? And is there anyone here from the Netherlands? I feel board games are really expensive over here, especially expansions. I was looking at the On The Brink expansion for Pandemic and it's almost as expensive as the base game. How am I supposed to build a nice collection without spending a ton of money?

Thanks for sharing that Kensuke; reading that brightened my day :).

If you haven't already, check out Board Game Geek. It's a great resource for board game nerdism and I expect you would find plenty of members from the Netherlands. One can buy, sell and trade games with other members there so that could be a useful avenue for you to build up a collection less expensively, perhaps.

Kensuke

I live in China so I feel your pain, if you can find sellers on Amazon.com that ship overseas you can bulk buy and cut your shipping costs. Also if you are interested check out www.taobao.com, search it in English for cheap games (a lot are manufactured here in China), and get back at me, I would be willing to help you buy and ship from there also. Why? Because I love board gaming now because I made the mistake to read this thread a few years ago...

PS. the first expansion for Pandemic is awesome, the one with the petri dishes

Oh wow, thanks for the offer. I took a look. On the Brink was being sold for as low as 200 yuan, which is only a little cheaper than it goes for here. I'll keep it in mind when I start looking for other games though. Thanks a lot.

Thanks for sharing that Kensuke; reading that brightened my day :).

If you haven't already, check out Board Game Geek. It's a great resource for board game nerdism and I expect you would find plenty of members from the Netherlands. One can buy, sell and trade games with other members there so that could be a useful avenue for you to build up a collection less expensively, perhaps.

Thanks for the tip. I did discover and check out BGG when I was researching, but didn't notice the marketplace. It seems there are plenty of Europeans selling new games for decent prices. Thinking about perhaps getting into Dominion next. It looks very different from all the other games I have so far.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
pics please!

This is what I think I'm going to do for my tentacle color scheme. Need to highlight the suckers and do an ink wash over the underside, but I'm waiting for the rest of my paints to arrive. I just decided to order the rest of the P3 line since I have been really loving their paints as of late. Once it gets here, I'll finish my test tentacle off and then do the rest.

BBdb9KPxjTcrSaUIehewkpcL0aaijc7VheTohfRA4ajYREtcL6NPR4ixbh5l1nxErVFJjbPYg8ODSd0N73o7ZiFFl_bkx3xGxGyYlW3Z1h4zPIh07_7r3eXyu13U4f-iJf1ozP-uP-tmvhinPHz5TfEgHyEpbA34UI0LC1Fihp63ZvZkQOVX9BNayXuwRvukOUfv0M5MBChQPyaJzHaaETeureBzpIiwBTzxW5J7WMgfZUz7OiAST4zGL2iAnfTqpiMjQIEOX5U7x9wc9PuzUkCcLcbN0kOrQu6pCbqQAuP-nDxVv_lDRqngLDEpx9389zxzaNM7N2OgHzP25kfv3xhOnQLQmHTvK_FWGyLhMwAbjMmyDQvyV-9h3yu9EIEKIrtE3Ruau-PaoVZTz21mq1LeL_1LdDgTCxo23ILdLY9zfbilNo-qgrYoLzT45AJvWB2sPYRr29jElnhd4x4C1t4GlBcWBNz35uO5xaXD_pXMmEzKYCvOHd5G0Liqkv_vPDYpeExM_NgeMlv-Y65myD10fc-hJ0pTW9mvW5rfRnaM4sSR8054x8LWimM7oXLCkKghBA=w1727-h971-no

I also did one of the Lava Men. This was my first pass on him:

_SSGEO88Pd_JoIiC2Y3RTGz1XsokcMyFFsb0jfdyx6KNcOkwQg0uTXfV04zj8mimk0MMWV_nKorsshMeHtyHxgEqYbzeBLnmjSimyNfxy2lboS7hrOBuuJmblullUpJRKXKU2-E2CFV-uCPV6cvr7vqKi-XnDwQUI5b0HBktay6EyAb1gAGqu3p02A_-yLMBzkWfD4bM6-ft4sOU6KqV6qD6yibW0BeOeTJmnHcVyPEyJzPz4iFg7VPy6MP5EOLyyEkWmoJ2jbCyShstQS9wp3H5TXlsTZKQf9nIk9CUtMPGCUvU7wINa8teVoiaayUK4ayDEp9WqDm_FmMOeJyABeu_3Y67VEJGAfsF-Fl7c4lrcSlQIgBTrBTbaILuWtr8c76lATPSEyCL8IP7OnyejRP3j_LHGCsC0qkGjUNDEFVijIw698GY4VPIRy0z7RmJwIJrEMfpZcByqbXnqnPV7p82mtxvrQ6QevAT94i3z3X9Ap4BXZKYK3zhl8cz_cNw_ziToqrhXd6aZ9JpXyHIIBXhJl-gNiGLNWqJ4hu7HhyK3JG7nsVFTn60wywsS4H6kz-Lzg=w1727-h971-no

kH0b86_Y64ovjIMcD5l59WrxHDONv400AAW40Chc5JGE5Ojkzcpy5Dj20i_e6u3WB4tMBn-YFMroYvZCbrLgDDlP8vTAUMJTgqHIwyEEMDiXOjBWOJe4zQ2JhrcMG_eRg1iz441CBf-FKjG0kf08h5yYcrj8fV9FLva4ve11uhUUeo_nw8ElYL8zJLiK1PAjZA9YCMFXpQuCleNpoT9PrdddKEFZt4YEjKOd0FRIMyOQE8pOipHNFjYdqkAM8AgSK_UUNB06dx7Xf1uTLTEwbG761a1BwORTVrJwY8u0cPgjQlQ-zcjatOYXazPzgEK8w36umriKzL4oEPwoMUZ5bY3s83gHYhFu3fdr9eMx3PummJN_3FXYS9W1WjQAY99rXk-K0j7rsAZHwkKDLqUDUVVCawwpwQ3nkSvp0t25VO_VlBzyqdYlF9QmnoSwsK9OarUfRGN_eVV6bv9lc5xBkyk6P4aYXrrZEMnduOwVcIFjb3uweo_rTeHxgWX49qo3CTGJ6sNLAjeU06TMbjkkvMoV2ToSZteXURRlm389JLOhFsRSdW0kzv7nJ0V1pVE0sI1o5w=w1727-h971-no

Didn't like the look/feel of the grey, so I decided to dry brush some black on and was much happier with the results.

_7jujqI1GGIOtvKH_sp15qQ8MkxM8pP0UCZL6ziSGbeFIZEa8lyGOpWvdokC6X1gIcG8zaTLoPtS_7wI83OWILXkvy0riZgqrLjTgTmjjhoOa3elRuHbIjTbYXXQoAG0tFvhgCy9a9Zx1NXU_NieccEKYc1P-eUIOYsRux-JRqCP45qsAh0E-MQaHKNrAdnagW_RrUlmCQvL9d82ST1CtsSMqf1IdV2TXtsX5gilyLTUBtqs2zpWyYGrRsE1PpG6cz8m87u73PPi8UCggI98ExpZZagq1sFR7K4iWWkyX8SpjHq6Xz-XvGtSD36y6SjXoBx4vsaIiFJ0M5nP5X_5CbpO_V_QWySHd6Y9e6Xd9Jbt65dVlxIb_DngWo8Qh7ToQgOSgaW3QiQIGwZzB2qVvuM9CXeX4sWJAxDdI_hDdv8Eerl3qno5dkwzJ8Fw441S6y88wOlaMCSekpsmqC-9u13CigZLsYh-t6OVW_GTYKDraMzaBXXKMVUeGRZe5Ftmgp51b14wgkOc4zKI8FVvGsekb1PS2AIDXVspdt1dfOcPPOAVTjJ0gAHrxlTJWGKYdKYQRA=w1727-h971-no

OPhy3eqeL5MKc_P5kBV7qXrkgpfOfeSzsoGkbrOThqyFQ4hqwAcEy3vw-KWLX0yxmF-8VEEZamW9QNFGrh4IV-VfpLDbQ_jpZ2kwLLt2k-K_tTegrxPN_YWcdC-pLQvJnsPomgP20_dkoI8erHPU7elhJJKyEfuTmnj9WQFo3aJ7n0f3cYly3Dlll9SpseITp9BSrnQZasF2TPRwz8r1GpPdMp3BjuceYH_GGqi-qlIQ042hOKireNTgRBg06M2f7wYxFHX9i58ia-g59MRxReTkaASqFDfS91aAuP2pYPfi1XTsH4DjWF1SVtgmPUTfNJ6fmwFn_WXKXeOERteOZ3xVu1B3qh_1kBsgBLol6ONmlTwWa4b3ZPK4S2Qdm2O_wxcmFBmxoX1IwYi4LZMR7D4medoUd72Ef9Ast_h6DjvhlBKmoYKLfu58vZpHxsHvyTmnVRcixLHPjW5L69shjd805kMERk5A0BUrMKoGODqi_Y5sKNrGpMp-wHjfH6yu3nXJAvlzBxpjygQzYjQKTL75XaWgn42at_Zz5QR9iCxeTuDmDKdoa9SMbE9AlPJY2IwQ5g=w1727-h971-no

I'll probably do a base and varnish on this guy before I take non-quick photos. I also based the Night Terrors and am waiting for the final coat of glue to dry over the base material before I go ahead and varnish them.

Been a good few days. I think I need to order some brushes that I didn't pick up from Walmart. I used to have some really bitchin W&N S7 brushes when I was painting a LOT. I got rid of them 2-3 years ago and am regretting it now. Time to open my pocketbook I guess...

E: Also contacted FFP about a missing Mine Encounter card. I don't know how, but I lost ONE damned card. I think it's Steam Vents. Whatever the case, I contacted them a few days ago and they're sending me a free replacement. Awesome awesome people.

Traders of Osaka (formerly published as Traders of Carthage) is a good Jaipur-like for 2-4.

Oh, that looks like a really good fit for my group and I. Thanks for the recommendation Karkador, much obliged.

Thanks for the tip. I did discover and check out BGG when I was researching, but didn't notice the marketplace. It seems there are plenty of Europeans selling new games for decent prices. Thinking about perhaps getting into Dominion next. It looks very different from all the other games I have so far.

The rabbit hole that is BGG goes very deep! I joined months ago and there are still huge swathes of it that I am yet to reconnoitre.

The wife bought me Codenames for Christmas and we played it all Boxing Day. Fantastic game.

Also noticed Pandemic Legacy is number 1 on bgg. Maybe I should play it.

The wife bought me Codenames for Christmas and we played it all Boxing Day. Fantastic game.

Also noticed Pandemic Legacy is number 1 on bgg. Maybe I should play it.

It should have been number 1 a long time ago because if you look at the vote distribution you can find that a large chunk of people voted 0/10 because of two reasons

a) it is clearly impossible for a new game to reach number 1 so quickly
b) I can't give any votes for a game that is played "once" and then is used up.

Lyng

It should have been number 1 a long time ago because if you look at the vote distribution you can find that a large chunk of people voted 0/10 because of two reasons

a) it is clearly impossible for a new game to reach number 1 so quickly
b) I can't give any votes for a game that is played "once" and then is used up.

What about all the PL fans giving 1 ratings to TS?

It baffles me that people care so much about rankings.

I dunno.

It just seemed to me like there is a greater than normal backlash against Legacy because people appear worried that it represents trend to single-use board games and are voting zero to punish it for that reason. So perhaps its getting more zero votes than an average game. I don't care either way, just was amused to see the comments from the zero voters, and the distribution which sort of looks like:

0: xxxxxx
1: x
2: x
3: x
4: x
5: x
6: x
7: xxxxx
8: xxxxxxxxxxx
9: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
10:xxxxxxxxxxxx

anyway you are right who cares.

It baffles me that people care so much about rankings.

Why wouldn't people though? Outside people using rankings to validate their own opinions, it's a quick and easy way to see what is a good or popular game. I often use rankings to see if I should spend some more time researching a game, movie, tv series.

The number 1 party games ranking for Codenames is definitely going to peak my interests. I go research it and decide if it's for me or not.

Karkador

Banned
I find the rating system on BGG to be pretty useless. I think you have to weigh the rank of a game there against how old it is. If a game is 10+ years old and still sitting high on the ranking, it means a lot more to me than some freshly released game that's getting a bunch of weird fanatic voting.

I find the rating system on BGG to be pretty useless. I think you have to weigh the rank of a game there against how old it is. If a game is 10+ years old and still sitting high on the ranking, it means a lot more to me than some freshly released game that's getting a bunch of weird fanatic voting.

Exactly.

So many flash in the pan hyped games that get high ratings, sell out, and then there is the backlash from the hardcore and all the flaws come out.

User voting systems are not useless but they are poor at gauging any objective quality.

Mr E.

What qualifies as a board game is strange too. Star Wars the x wing miniatures game whilst it is good is not a board game But a miniatures game???

What qualifies as a board game is strange too. Star Wars the x wing miniatures game whilst it is good is not a board game But a miniatures game???

It pretty much is your typical miniature wargame like warhammer and such. Only difference is the models are painted for you already and built. But yea it's not a board game

Mr E.

It pretty much is your typical miniature wargame like warhammer and such. Only difference is the models are painted for you already and built. But yea it's not a board game
Still in the top 100 board games of all time. I'll wait for Twilight struggle legacy edition to reclaim top spot. Lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How mechanically deep is the new WHQ card game? I'm thinking of picking it up (when it's available) for the wife and I if it's not overly complex.

Karkador

Banned
User voting systems are not useless but they are poor at gauging any objective quality.

Well, I'm not against the idea of user votings. It's just that, yeah, the 1-through-10 system is bad as an objective measure (nobody has the same idea of what each number represents), and it's not very descriptive as a subjective measure, either.

As far as user voting on BGG goes, I find the player count voting (how well a game plays at different player counts) to be a lot more accurate. It's more of a specific criteria that people aren't likely to abuse.

Karkador

Banned
How mechanically deep is the new WHQ card game? I'm thinking of picking it up (when it's available) for the wife and I if it's not overly complex.

It's middle-weight. Cards have a lot of text, so you do have a lot of stuff going on, but the big picture of the game is fairly okay to deal with.

I don't think the manual really teaches the game well, though.

The SO and I finally started Pandemic Legacy proper, and we won January in our first try. :D A few cities are at panic level 1 but otherwise not too much damage was done. The character upgrades are very tempting, but
I know more, possibly better, characters are coming later.
We went with a permanent research station and a positive mutation for
COdA.

Karkador

Banned
The SO and I finally started Pandemic Legacy proper, and we won January in our first try. :D A few cities are at panic level 1 but otherwise not too much damage was done. The character upgrades are very tempting, but
I know more, possibly better, characters are coming later.
We went with a permanent research station and a positive mutation for
COdA.

How did you
give C0dA a positive mutation? I forget if it's possible to fully cure that disease

ultron87

I splurged and got a Broken Token organizer for Imperial Assault. Putting that together and putting every little bit in it's place satisfied me at some primal level that was almost distressing.

Lyng

Why wouldn't people though? Outside people using rankings to validate their own opinions, it's a quick and easy way to see what is a good or popular game. I often use rankings to see if I should spend some more time researching a game, movie, tv series.

The number 1 party games ranking for Codenames is definitely going to peak my interests. I go research it and decide if it's for me or not.

But do you care so much that you want to go downvote other games just so your own personal baby can get higher? Thats what baffles me. That people use the system to find new interesting games to play is only good.

But do you care so much that you want to go downvote other games just so your own personal baby can get higher? Thats what baffles me. That people use the system to find new interesting games to play is only good.

Most definitely not. That really is baffling.

Hmm, I found it somewhere between low to middling in terms of card game complexity and depth. I play a bit of Netrunner and LOTR card game and it is probably lighter then them both. The problem is it is a little rubbish on the manual side (as Karkador mentioned). It has that FFG thing where it has a light manual for learning and a heavy one that is basically an encyclopedia of all the rules. The heavy rules are fine but the light manual I found to be a bit unclear as to a fair few features in the game.

Musan

Looks like the new version of Through the Ages has went live at Boardgaming Online. I'm excited to see all the differences in play, since I don't know anyone who has a physical copy.

Quoting this because I didn't see any suggestions and I need this info also. I'll be buying Ticket To Ride as my gateway game and just need to know of others experiences with Aussie shops before doing so.

I dug around and it is pretty bleak.

However the best bets seems to be ozgameshop (been around for ages) and boardgamesearch.com.au or ebay.

Otherwise you just need to get lucky.

I dug around and it is pretty bleak.

However the best bets seems to be ozgameshop (been around for ages) and boardgamesearch.com.au or ebay.

Otherwise you just need to get lucky.
Thanks. I'll check them out otherwise I'll just try and find a favourite bricks and mortar.

Karkador

Banned
If any of you are on the fence about Warhammer Quest, or can't find it in stock, I really recommend you pick up it's spiritual predecessor Space Hulk: Death Angel. It's a good game in its own right, and it will prepare you for WHQ.

If any of you are on the fence about Warhammer Quest, or can't find it in stock, I really recommend you pick up it's spiritual predecessor Space Hulk: Death Angel. It's a good game in its own right, and it will prepare you for WHQ.

Great game except for that evil dice.

Mr E.

What are folks playing around here at the moment or planing on?

Myself I have been enjoying Dead men tell no tales with my youngest son. He likes co-ops.

Anyone else care to share there current hotness?

Dryk

Gamesempire.com.au also comes highly recommended.
Games Empire is usually the cheapest and they have good service. But honestly just bookmark boardgamesearch.com.au and go from there.

Well, I'm not against the idea of user votings. It's just that, yeah, the 1-through-10 system is bad as an objective measure (nobody has the same idea of what each number represents), and it's not very descriptive as a subjective measure, either.
What BGG's rankings are supposed to mean is laid up very clearly (how much you want to play the game instead of any other measure of quality). Pity people don't often use it like that...

Still it's a useful system provided you know the basics of how its calculated and the tastes of the audience that are feeding it.

Got to try Fire Team Zero over the weekend with some friends. I backed it on kickstarter forever ago and the core set finally arrived. Seems like a pretty great atmospheric co-op horror game, but the limited mission variety means those three expansions / stretch goals better make their way out pretty quickly.

Still, fun game. More than a little unhappy with Flying Frog Games right now, as the boards for my Conquest of Planet Earth: Apocalypse expansions are extremely warped. Going to have to take a picture and see if I can get some replacements. If not, anyone have any idea the best way to flatten out cardboard?

emag

I haven't played many 2015 releases -- off the top of my head, just the Concordia Salsa expansion, Codenames, and Blood Rage. Checking BGG, I see also that Antike II, Fief: France 1429, Galaxy Command, Power Grid: The Stock Companies, and Seven7s were released in 2015. Of them, I'd say that Concordia: Salsa is my favorite, but that's not really saying much.

My most played games last year were One Night Ultimate Werewolf (by a huge amount), followed by Tsuro (filler while we wait for people to show up) and Coup (which fills much the same role as ONUW, but is more/less enjoyable for certain people). I didn't play any single big game (Agricola, Antike II, BSG) more than five times, except for Concordia.

The Gallerist, Food Chain Magnate, and Race for the Galaxy: Xeno Invasion were the 2015 games I most wanted to try but didn't. I expect that I'll buy Xeno Invasion once the corrected reprint is out later this month, but I'm not ready to put down cash for the other two, as I doubt I'll have the opportunity to bring them to the table with any frequency.

I purchased two 2015 releases that haven't yet hit the table: Tiny Epic Galaxies and Valley of the Kings: Afterlife. I hope I have the chance to play them soon.

Neverfade

Played through the TIME Stories Asylum scenario last night.

The story/puzzle/logic stuff was great, but those mechanics.... yikes.

Anyone have an alternative where me and couple buddies can just sit down and suss out a story? Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective maybe?

Top Bottom