• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

What is wrong with you people? This is like bizarro world. I'll go back to BGG where all is right in the world.

More rules doesn't necessarily make the game more fun, just look at that garbage tier TTR Marklin game. If anything EU is more boring, there's less tension due to the stations.

Yurop TTR >>>>>>> Merika TTR purely because of the far more attractive man on the cover.

my Japanese card game collection is coming along nicely

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/sasimirobot/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151228_125111.jpg [img][/QUOTE]

Glad to see you have the lovely artwork version of Love Letter :). Cheaty Mages is high up on my wishlist. How do you find it?

Ohnonono

Man I really want to get into the Game of Thrones LCG but that motherfucker is SUPER sold out everywhere, and FFG has not even started to reprint it. What a kick in the taint!

Karkador

Banned
Man I really want to get into the Game of Thrones LCG but that motherfucker is SUPER sold out everywhere, and FFG has not even started to reprint it. What a kick in the taint!

?? I'm seeing it all over Amazon, and the second edition core set seems to be out as well.

Ohnonono

?? I'm seeing it all over Amazon, and the second edition core set seems to be out as well.

All I see on amazon for the second edition core set is stuff shipping from the UK. Also above retail. If you have any links to reasonable stuff for sure link me! Second Edition Core sets. I need 3 of them.

Karkador

Banned
Now that you've got your order in, I'll disclose the site. Funagain is one of the better online game retailers out there, and I've never had an issue with them. *cue the outpouring of grievances with Funagain from other posters*

Ohnonono

Now that you've got your order in, I'll disclose the site. Funagain is one of the better online game retailers out there, and I've never had an issue with them. *cue the outpouring of grievances with Funagain from other posters*

Awesome to hear, thanks so much for the help!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That stinks. It was on super sale at several places on Black Friday. Maybe that's why.

Gurrry

I over heard some people at my LGS playing a Game Of Thrones card game, but I wasnt sure if it was some Netrunner spin-off or if it was a straight up GOT TCG. I kept hearing how he had a sick Greyjoy deck, but never bothered to ask what they were playing.

Anyone know if its a netrunner thing, or was it more than likely the GOT TCG?

Draxal

I over heard some people at my LGS playing a Game Of Thrones card game, but I wasnt sure if it was some Netrunner spin-off or if it was a straight up GOT TCG. I kept hearing how he had a sick Greyjoy deck, but never bothered to ask what they were playing.

Game of Thrones is an older LCG that came out before Netrunner, they recently made a second edition which is what everybody is talking about.

Has anyone played the X-Files board game?

Screenshot-2014-12-04-10.49.28.png

It was the first time I saw it today at a comic store and I was intrigued.

Ohnonono

Game of Thrones used to be a CCG, was bought by FFG and turned into an LCG. It ran for a long time and was really good but needed a reset. Core rules got revised, cards got re balanced and now you have 2nd edition. Some people still play first I am sure, but 2nd is a much better game, just does not have a huge card pool yet.

As far as the format it is totally an LCG like Netrunner. Thrones and Netrunner I like about equally.

joelseph

I have no experience with X-Files but I have had people say it is pretty bland. Stooge would have better info on the product, it is published by IDW.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Game of Thrones is an older LCG that came out before Netrunner, they recently made a second edition which is what everybody is talking about.
Actually Netrunner came out first (if you count Garfield WoTC edition)! ;p

Yeah definitely sounds like they were talking GoT though. FFG has a bunch of LCGs but they're all pretty different.

Draxal

Actually Netrunner came out first (if you count Garfield WoTC edition)! ;p

Yeah definitely sounds like they were talking GoT though. FFG has a bunch of LCGs but they're all pretty different.

I did specify LCG, because I was suspecting someone would bring up Garfield's version :). I forget which is older now the Cthulu lcg or the GoT LCG.

If Europe is too overwhelming you should probably not start playing board games. That game is still simpler than Carcassonne. Europe is the way to go.

You have to keep in mind not everyone like to play game like we do and you are blessed that you have family full of gamers but for none gamers getting start on hobby boardgame even thing that we feel are simple is totally foreign to them when all they ever play was Monopoly or Clue. I think it is better to ease them in than turn them off completely. I got a copy of Europe and no one in my family like it, they all hate the added rules. I think the original Tickets to Ride is a great gateway game, it simple and elegant and have enough rule to keep muggle engage but doesn't overwhelm them.

Oh and my post suppose to read non gamers not non-Americans, Google silly auto correct.

Oh.

Back to the drawing board! I have a few on my Amazon Wishlist, but I'm sort of waiting for their price to come down.

Pretty sure a lot of people would gladly give you some recs on this thread if you say what kind of games are you looking for.

Have you also looked into other online retailers? Some of them are significantly cheaper than amazon.

Pretty sure a lot of people would gladly give you some recs on this thread if you say what kind of games are you looking for.

Have you also looked into other online retailers? Some of them are significantly cheaper than amazon.

These are the ones I've bookmarked for purchase at some point, most of them were recommendations from this very thread a few months ago!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2EHB1GXNZ9VS5

I never have problem with Funagain and they are sort of local to me so they ship really fast. Their price can be higher than some of the on-line retailers but have yet to get bad service from them. Also no sale tax in Oregon.

We played a lot of game over the weekend and I am getting my butt kick by everyone in my family with 7 Wonders Duel. This is going to be my favorite game that I never win. My son beat me with military victory which is pretty hard but all the cards line up for him.

My in-law brought over several games they got for Christmas and between our family we have 4 copies of One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Seems to be all the rage. We play several games and it was fun but social deduction game is not my favorite but it was enjoyable. I got Sheriff of Nottingham for my wife (though she has yet to play it, lol) we play several games and seems to be big hit. Surprise hit was probably Betrayal at the House on the Hill, everyone seems to enjoy it because of its silliness and random story.

Blizzard

Banned
Regarding competitive two-player games, I got my girlfriend Jaipur and 7 Wonders Duel for Christmas. I'm happy with both.

7 Wonders Duel in particular does some really neat things in my opinion, but I wonder if there's some sort of backlash to the game since hardly anyone talks about it. I plan to post about the mechanics I liked in the next few days.

Regarding competitive two-player games, I got my girlfriend Jaipur and 7 Wonders Duel for Christmas. I'm happy with both.

7 Wonders Duel in particular does some really neat things in my opinion, but I wonder if there's some sort of backlash to the game since hardly anyone talks about it. I plan to post about the mechanics I liked in the next few days.

Doubt it considering it's already 39 in the ranking at bgg. Sometimes I feel some of these ratings have to be doctored.

sasimirobot

Cheaty mages is really fun! perfect blend of bluffing, strategy and luck for such a simple card game. right now I would say it's my favorite card game, but yeah it's new so not sure about its legs.

slight problem that there isn't enough money included since we ran out twice at the end of the game.

love all seiji kanai artwork, look at the American version of lost legacy, Holy shit it's so tastless...

Dryk

I played Dixit for the first time last night and I'm really bad at it. Also after finishing Pandemic Legacy the other day we tried the first case of Consulting Detective and spent about 90 minutes deciding on our first move... which was a dead end...

EYEL1NER

I'm gonna need to start packing up to leave the country again on Wednesday. I decided that I'm going to take a Patchwork with me. The box is pretty small and I enjoyed it but I don't imagine I'll get a bunch of plays out of it with my wife, since she didn't like it. Better to take it with me and play it with a coworker than let it sit here I guess.

I also decided to last-minute back Secret Hitler before it ended. I figured I could use another social deduction or traitor game to sit unplayed on a shelf alongside Coup, Coup Reformation, Coup Rebellion G54, Resistance, Resistance Avalon, Ultimate Werewolf, One Night Resistance, and so on...

I'm looking to pick up Sellswords too I guess, but probably won't be able to get my hands on a copy before leaving. I like L99 Games games. I also love Triple Triad. I'll never be able to get my hands on a complete legit Triple Triad and I've wanted to print a copy with Arts/CowCow but have never been able to find the red background files online, so this seems like the closest thing.

Neverfade

Glad to see you have the lovely artwork version of Love Letter :). Cheaty Mages is high up on my wishlist. How do you find it?

Cheaty Mages isn't bad but Chronicle is the secret winner of that group. I fucking love that game and I usually hate trick taking games. It turns the whole concept on its head enough that I really get into it.

Mr E.

Burgle Bros is amazing. Only played twice but had fun both times. Highly thematic and lots of replay value from what I can tell. Nine characters with unique abilities, regular and advanced.

Basic premise is to crack the safes in each floor (this can vary dependant on set up) and escape with the loot. Snag is that the loot carries with it a penalty could be anything ( a dog that barks and attracts guards as an example ).
Grab all loot and make it to the chopper on the roof to win.

All the cliché's are present, laser rooms, fingerprint scanners, motion detectors, which can be hacked via the appropriate control panels. Guards will patrol and you will generally know the route they plan on taking but if an alarm goes off they will head straight for it at an increased speed . (this can be used to your advantage to distract them).

Anyone into co-ops or an ideal solo game (play multiple characters) should check this one out.

And yes you can hide in the toilet cubicle, like the movies.

Keasar

Put down an order for Warhammer the Adventure Card Game and Conflict of Heroes (plus Solo expansion). Looking forward to trying them out.

Played a while ago a round of Catacombs with friends and had an absolute blast. I have really missed having a dexterity game here and this really hits a good spot between being about flicking stuff around and also playing a game. Had so much fun watching my friends flay around the board with their adventurers, narrowly missing my monsters and then realizing in horror they just parked right next to the big bad one. :p

Cheaty Mages isn't bad but Chronicle is the secret winner of that group. I fucking love that game and I usually hate trick taking games. It turns the whole concept on its head enough that I really get into it.

Chronicle looks amazing, funny about the censorship on the american version.

Cheaty mages is really fun! perfect blend of bluffing, strategy and luck for such a simple card game. right now I would say it's my favorite card game, but yeah it's new so not sure about its legs.

slight problem that there isn't enough money included since we ran out twice at the end of the game.

love all seiji kanai artwork, look at the American version of lost legacy, Holy shit it's so tastless...

Nice! :) Shame about the money :/ but thanks for the heads up.

My friend has the western version of Lost Legacy. As blandified aesthetics for 'western tastes' goes I don't find it too bad but I would take the original artwork every damn time. I have the westernised Love Letter and the Kanai Edition but we always play the latter. The best thing about the former is the bag!

:eek: i has Chronicle! Sounds like I need to bump that game up my list of games I need to teach myself at home on my own before I try and teach the game to my group. I recently did that with Jaipur to great success so it's clearly the way to proceed with 'new' games for me. The friend I taught the game to then taught it to another friend when I wasn't even there [I leave some of my games in his shop for easy access] which was very gratifying :).

Chronicle looks amazing, funny about the censorship on the american version.

?

Did they remove Stump's beard on the cover or something?

Top Bottom