• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just found out today I have been playing HANABI wrong for over 2 years. I didn't know you could just toss any card on the display as long as it was playable somewhere. We always played you had to correctly guess where to play it also.

Now it seems like the game will be much easier...

Haha yep! Feel like almost everyone thinks what you think -- I have to clarify every time I teach the game.

I'm actually thinking of having a no-game-discussion policy when playing Hanabi next. Just been getting too fuzzy and I want legit scores. Even discussing very general strategy can be very revealing of unknown information.

DagsJT

By "playable somewhere", meaning there's a 3 on the display so you can play a 4? I've had the game a few days but not played yet, just watched a few videos to try to understand it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
By "playable somewhere", meaning there's a 3 on the display so you can play a 4? I've had the game a few days but not played yet, just watched a few videos to try to understand it.

rule is you just put the tile out there and if it's legal anywhere on the board it goes there. you don't have to say "this is a red 2" or "play to red" or whatever before playing it. end of game this is even more critical because oftentimes you know you have a 50/50 shot at 2 different places

Noaloha

Which is the Ticket To Ride that plays best with 2, and is it still enjoyable at 4, possibly 3?

Or perhaps just the context'll be better for answers: I pretty much only play board games at home with my gf, but we're heading to her parents for a summer-week. I'm mulling over picking up a TTR to take along in the hopes that it might make for an entertaining family evening or two. Longterm / mainly it'll be just us two playing outside of this vacation. I do hope it'll present a good first impression to her folks though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Which is the Ticket To Ride that plays best with 2, and is it still enjoyable at 4, possibly 3?

Or perhaps just the context'll be better for answers: I pretty much only play board games at home with my gf, but we're heading to her parents for a summer-week. I'm mulling over picking up a TTR to take along in the hopes that it might make for an entertaining family evening or two. Longterm / mainly it'll be just us two playing outside of this vacation. I do hope it'll present a good first impression to her folks though.

Nordic Countries is great with 2-3, but does not play 4. Personally I don't really like any other TTR with 2 and I have them all except Europe, Marklin, and UK.

Noaloha

Nordic Countries is great with 2-3, but does not play 4. Personally I don't really like any other TTR with 2 and I have them all except Europe, Marklin, and UK.

Well, poop, ha. I'm fairly certain her mum will be up to play, but her dad could easily go either way (that said, I know he recently mentioned working on a model trains project in their loft, so I know he at least has a passing interest in the theme). I don't really like the idea of showing up with a 3p-only game though, that's a bit... rude, presumptuous or something.

Yet it sounds like Nordic is the one we should get for our own shelf. We don't really have the disposable income to throw at one-off / once in a blue moon board games.

(Perhaps we go Nordic and then a pair of us work as a duo..., or I just bow out and spectate / watch the little one.) Hrm. Or maybe I'll just look into other games and chalk the TTRs up as unfortunately positioned in this circumstance.

Cuba Libre (finally) arrived.

GMT is an odd bunch. I learned through their customer service that they had in fact shipped my copy out 2 weeks ago, but for whatever reason they'd never updated my account details to say so.

It actually still says 'Not Shipped Yet'.

GiJoccin

Just found out today I have been playing HANABI wrong for over 2 years. I didn't know you could just toss any card on the display as long as it was playable somewhere. We always played you had to correctly guess where to play it also.

Now it seems like the game will be much easier...

do you mean you thought you had to know BOTH the color AND the number before you played it?

i thought that you pick a card to try to play, and if there is a place for it to go, success!!! is that correct?

do you mean you thought you had to know BOTH the color AND the number before you played it?

i thought that you pick a card to try to play, and if there is a place for it to go, success!!! is that correct?

Correct; one does not have to state what the colour or number is. Pick a card to play and as long as it goes okay in the display all is well. If not then you get one of the 'whoops' tokens. IIRC, not played it recently but I am sure about the first point.

Well, poop, ha. I'm fairly certain her mum will be up to play, but her dad could easily go either way (that said, I know he recently mentioned working on a model trains project in their loft, so I know he at least has a passing interest in the theme). I don't really like the idea of showing up with a 3p-only game though, that's a bit... rude, presumptuous or something.

Yet it sounds like Nordic is the one we should get for our own shelf. We don't really have the disposable income to throw at one-off / once in a blue moon board games.

(Perhaps we go Nordic and then a pair of us work as a duo..., or I just bow out and spectate / watch the little one.) Hrm. Or maybe I'll just look into other games and chalk the TTRs up as unfortunately positioned in this circumstance.

TTR plays well with 3 if he doesn't want to play but the board is fun and pretty when you have game going with lot of little train and he might find it interesting to give it a try. I introduced this game many years ago to all my non-gamers (ie they don't play any kind of game except may be poker and Spoons) and they first decline so I set up and play with their kids, after one game they all want in.

We really like the new Pennsylvania map but for new player I would just stick with basic. I think US map play fine with just 3 people and not bad with 2 (though not great). Our other favorite map is Asia. On Asia map you can do Team play which is really fun you can have team of two working together and compete against the other team (and one of the few map that can take TTR to 6 players).

Another good gateway game I find is Splendor. I also got all my non-gamer family playing this and they all went out and bought a copy.

I'm loving Eldritch Horror with the gf. Only played two games, completely different experiences with the same Ancient one. Actually won our first one! Got swallowed shamelessly the next, tho.

MattyG

Banned
What would a good Star Wars game be if I only have 2 or 3 people and want to get into painting models? Imperial Assault? I really want to get into painting them, and some of these games look really fun.

I've played all four Time Stories scenarios now with the same group and opinions up until tonight were:

Asylum: this is fucking brilliant.
Marcy: okay, that was different, but why do they want us to play their bad combat mechanism so much?
Prophecy: weren't there puzzles in this game once?

Needless to say, our initial honeymoon with the game was over. Under the Mask was going to be the last go with this group as two of the four are moving across the country next month. We like the Egyptian theme, so there was cautious optimism all around.

This was the best story since Asylum. Marcy and Prophecy don't come close. The new gimmick was clever and made for some funny moments. The art on the cards allowed you to make meaningful decisions based on your character's traits. Somehow (and I think this is REALLY important to whether or not TS is a good experience for your group), we always unlocked permanent maps and items just before our current run ended, which causes hugs and high fives all around.

And then...

We got stuck. For about 45 minutes, it was unclear where to explore. We had seen and done everything. I gave up check google. One player had neglected to grab an item as instructed by the bottom line of text. The item was, of course, a map piece with a new path on it. It was fixed, but our energy had been sapped. The four of us decided to ignore the time units and explore the remaining locations in a relaxed state. It was still interesting enough, but certainly not as entertaining or climactic ad it should have been.

So Time Stories... Play Asylum if you have the chance. Under the Mask is also worth the price of afmission. The other two were not great, cuz I mostly enjoyed the massive puzzle solving. Whatever you do, read the fuggin card.

What would a good Star Wars game be if I only have 2 or 3 people and want to get into painting models? Imperial Assault? I really want to get into painting them, and some of these games look really fun.
Star Wars Rebellion is amazing but I would imagine paining a ton of grey ships isn't that exciting. If you want to paint, Imperial Assault looks to be better for that.

Experien

Star Wars Rebellion is amazing but I would imagine paining a ton of grey ships isn't that exciting. If you want to paint, Imperial Assault looks to be better for that.

Plus those Rebellion models are SO many and SOOOO tiny. Probably isn't as fun as painting the clothes. Might be more fun if you give them stands and have a variety (like AT-AT with snow or dirt or tree fodder).

Vote for Imperial Assault because if you don't play the game, they would also be cool display pieces and Rebellion's are too small to show off.

ultron87

I think Imperial Assault is definitely the way to go if you want paintable Star Wars stuff. There is a good varied set of models in there.

KiKaL

I'm loving Eldritch Horror with the gf. Only played two games, completely different experiences with the same Ancient one. Actually won our first one! Got swallowed shamelessly the next, tho.

One of my favorite games. I think I have played it almost once a week for the past few months.

Ohnonono

Gonna set this up this weekend and finally play it. Really excited. I bought it a long time ago and I never put it on the table.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ooh wow I really need to try Eldritch. Didn't realize it was good with two. Hadn't bothered to learn it yet because assumed it needed Arkham numbers (3-4).

So Time Stories... Play Asylum if you have the chance. Under the Mask is also worth the price of afmission. The other two were not great, cuz I mostly enjoyed the massive puzzle solving. Whatever you do, read the fuggin card.
This is based on my own preferences, but I seriously think Time Stories is one of the most overrated games of the past five years. Even if I don't like a specific game like a super-crunch long Euro or a crazy ornate Ameritrash game, I can almost always see why people are enamored with it. But TS is almost a complete mystery to me. At its absolute best it's a kindergarten on-rails version of old PC adventure games. And as you mentioned everything outside of that, like the combat, and heck let's even talk about the terrible rules, is subpar. And yet somehow people whose opinions I respect a good deal, like a lot of the Dice Tower contributors, have it as GOTY or some other award. I don't get it! :p Other than just the novelty I guess, but to me it's just the emperor has no clothes.

TIME stories like most narrative driven game is largely depend on the group you play with. We have a blast but the last expansion leave us a bit on a cold side and I am glad to hear that the new expansion is more puzzle driven. If you find TS to be over hype I am not sure if Eldritch Horror will be your kind of game , it play fine with two (you can control two characters each as I think the game is more balance and you get the most out of it) but it is also a kind of game that you like to imagine a story in your head and create your narrative. I even play it solo last few times and still find it enjoyable.

On another note, Massive Darkness already cross million dollar. I am still on the fence, the game seem shallow compare to Descent and even Shadows of Brimstone and on top of that I just got Warhammer Quest and feel like I am max out on my dungeon game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Arkham Horror is one of my favorite games, so I imagine we'll be alright. Also it's pubished by FFG, who almost always has excellent mechanics in their top-line games, even if sometimes I think they're slightly overwrought. Yeah getting into the atmosphere is part of the fun in AH and TS -- I'm not trying to be a grump about that -- it's just that the mechanics in TS are godawful and nearly nonexistent. There's just no there there in terms of a game. I'd actually say that Tales of the Arabian Nights, which often gets accused of being a game with almost no game there, has better and more well-thought-out mechanics than TS.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Can someone explain the Descent app to me? I've been toying with the idea of picking up Descent 2.0, but I don't know what the app does for me.

Fireblend

Banned
Odd question: Can someone guess what game these cards are from?

KvSV7xB.png

I think that's the back of the cards, not the front.

On another note, Massive Darkness already cross million dollar. I am still on the fence, the game seem shallow compare to Descent and even Shadows of Brimstone and on top of that I just got Warhammer Quest and feel like I am max out on my dungeon game.

You are not alone. After waiting forever for a good dungeon crawler, we now have an embarrassment of riches.

zulux21

I've played all four Time Stories scenarios now with the same group and opinions up until tonight were:

Asylum: this is fucking brilliant.
Marcy: okay, that was different, but why do they want us to play their bad combat mechanism so much?
Prophecy: weren't there puzzles in this game once?

Needless to say, our initial honeymoon with the game was over. Under the Mask was going to be the last go with this group as two of the four are moving across the country next month. We like the Egyptian theme, so there was cautious optimism all around.

This was the best story since Asylum. Marcy and Prophecy don't come close. The new gimmick was clever and made for some funny moments. The art on the cards allowed you to make meaningful decisions based on your character's traits. Somehow (and I think this is REALLY important to whether or not TS is a good experience for your group), we always unlocked permanent maps and items just before our current run ended, which causes hugs and high fives all around.

And then...

We got stuck. For about 45 minutes, it was unclear where to explore. We had seen and done everything. I gave up check google. One player had neglected to grab an item as instructed by the bottom line of text. The item was, of course, a map piece with a new path on it. It was fixed, but our energy had been sapped. The four of us decided to ignore the time units and explore the remaining locations in a relaxed state. It was still interesting enough, but certainly not as entertaining or climactic ad it should have been.

my group is really hoping that the final expansion for time stories
reveals that bob and the people we work for are really the bad guys and the expansion gives us stuff to revisit all the of previous expansions in order to correct what we have done and actually save everyone.

Can someone explain the Descent app to me? I've been toying with the idea of picking up Descent 2.0, but I don't know what the app does for me.

It's a campanion app meant to be used along aside the game. You plug in which expansions you have, and it plays as the overlord for a new style of Co op.

JSR_Cube

The latest add-on for Massive Darkness has the natives restless. I kinda agree but I am still on the fence for backing the base game anyway.

It will be interesting to see how CMoN keep this momentum up for nearly a month.

Moobabe

Hey all - I'm looking for the name of a Star Wars board game.

It cropped up in another thread the other day - it's co-op one and someone said it's their go to co-op/dungeon crawl style board game.

I thought "I'll remember that!" and then didn't...

EYEL1NER

Just received an email from L99 Games. They are about to launch a Kickstarter for a new printing of Millenium Blades. Not a new edition or revision but a new printing since they ran out and demand is high. They'll also have new promo packs that you can back to get. I'll back the minimum for the promos, but this is good news for people who missed out on getting a copy and wanted it (if that happens to be anyone ITT, I know a lot of you already have it).

Bigger news for me is that Nokomento has finished character art and illustrations for BattleCON: Trials and they will be unveiling it soon. Yay for another big box of BattleCON that gets added to the stack unsorted. But if they Kickstart it, maybe then we will finally get the option of the BattleCON organizer/storage solution that we didn't reach in stretch goals during War: Revised?!

I wrote a long response several pages back when the app came out but my opinion is it's a nice app if you have Descent 2.0 already but I would not recommend picking up just to use the apps. The app is basically expanded on the POD co-op expansion they put out for the last couple of years.

The app is not substitution for Overlord player, it does not use any of the Overlord mechanic rather it implement a new version of the threat system from POD expansions.

Edit: Also FFG also give the new campaign free also. I read somewhere that the app causes a spike in sales of Descent stuffs.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I wrote a long response several pages back when the app came out but my opinion is it's a nice app if you have Descent 2.0 already but I would not recommend picking up just to use the apps. The app is basically expanded on the POD co-op expansion they put out for the last couple of years.

The app is not substitution for Overlord player, it does not use any of the Overlord mechanic rather it implement a new version of the threat system from POD expansions.

Edit: Also FFG also give the new campaign free also. I read somewhere that the app causes a spike in sales of Descent stuffs.

Thanks - this helps. If it's not worth grabbing for use with the app alone, I'll probably pass.

That said, I'm considering WHQ: Silver Tower. How does it compare to the original, and how would it sit with other adventure board games? I have Shadows of Brimstone and all the D&D Adventure games. Would that compliment those?

Experien

Arkham Horror is one of my favorite games, so I imagine we'll be alright. Also it's pubished by FFG, who almost always has excellent mechanics in their top-line games, even if sometimes I think they're slightly overwrought. Yeah getting into the atmosphere is part of the fun in AH and TS -- I'm not trying to be a grump about that -- it's just that the mechanics in TS are godawful and nearly nonexistent. There's just no there there in terms of a game. I'd actually say that Tales of the Arabian Nights, which often gets accused of being a game with almost no game there, has better and more well-thought-out mechanics than TS.

FFG/Asmodee actually publishes T.I.M.E Stories, just saying.

Only on the 2nd story here but I think TS does a good job about being able to let the players play semi different types of games. The combat system is only awful if you don't read the rules correctly (first play of 2nd story, did all the combat wrong).

I don't see how you can get immersed in one game and not another. I love Eldritch Horror but I think I need more draw in to TS since all of the flavor encounters make sense and is tailor made for you. The encounters in EH just sort of break me out of it because there is no connection to your location. Sure, you read different cards and places but almost all the descriptions could be used for any location (except for jungle and Antarctica) since most are set up like, "people follow you to a building and want to talk, check influence!" Great, but am I in Shanghai or Arkham really? Does it matter? Whereas in TS, less replay-ability but it is designed for you to be in a certain location and fits it.

PittaGAF

Thanks - this helps. If it's not worth grabbing for use with the app alone, I'll probably pass.

That said, I'm considering WHQ: Silver Tower. How does it compare to the original, and how would it sit with other adventure board games? I have Shadows of Brimstone and all the D&D Adventure games. Would that compliment those?

Personally I *LOVE* it.
I don't like Brimstone due to the setting and I certainly like Silver Tower more than the D&D ones.

It's super fun, super easy to learn and super fast to set up and play (you can play in less than 5 minutes, beverages included).
For reference the original Warhammer Quest is my fav boardgame of all times, and I think Silver Tower can be its legit heir.
It well captures the spirit of the original one, while being modern (gameplay wise it just flows).
If GW will support it properly (it won't be cheap, I know) it will be glorious imho.
But even if not (rumors abound about a undead expansion later this year) it's a great boardgame imho.

They can easily expand it imho with a RPG book for characters persistence (as the original game, now this aspect is absent) and new settings with boxed sets containing new tiles/some monsters/the adventure book (which is brilliant in ST).

I had some reservations about the game when it was first announced (didn't like the tiles that I must admit are gorgeous in person and didn't want to build all those miniatures) but I'm really glad I bought it.
The miniatures are out of this world, even unpainted.

Right now I'm playing the campaign with my son, third amulet shard.

Protome

Played a few games over the weekend:

Sheriff of Nottingham, first time getting this to the table and it went over great. A lot of silly bribes being made, lots of double and triple bluffing and all in all very light and fun... Until the end. Then it's way too much adding up points to see who actually won for my liking. One of those games that is more fun to play than to win.

Betrayal A House On The Hill, Fourth time getting it to the table. The very first time I played this I loved it but every subsequent play has been really boring and I just think I don't like this game much.

Mysterium, first time at the table as well. It went pretty well, although I feel like that end phase is kinda bad. Overall pretty great though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played Eldritch for the first time last night. It's actually been a year or two since I've played a meaty FFG game like that and man did I forget how draining they can be. I feel like it's 70% of Arkham, mostly in good ways (complexity and time) but it does feel really similar too. I picked up a couple small-box expansions because the number of encounter cards in the base game is ridiculously low.

Mysterium, first time at the table as well. It went pretty well, although I feel like that end phase is kinda bad. Overall pretty great though.

Mysterium is fantastic (probably in my top 20 games at the moment) but the endgame and voting mechanics are just wtf. So gamey in what's otherwise a really thematic-feeling game. I think the original didn't have any of that though I'm not sure precisely how it played. Not horrible but yeah it's subpar compared to the rest of the game.

Palmer_v1

Played Eldritch for the first time last night. It's actually been a year or two since I've played a meaty FFG game like that and man did I forget how draining they can be. I feel like it's 70% of Arkham, mostly in good ways (complexity and time) but it does feel really similar too. I picked up a couple small-box expansions because the number of encounter cards in the base game is ridiculously low.

Mysterium is fantastic (probably in my top 20 games at the moment) but the endgame and voting mechanics are just wtf. So gamey in what's otherwise a really thematic-feeling game. I think the original didn't have any of that though I'm not sure precisely how it played. Not horrible but yeah it's subpar compared to the rest of the game.

We've played it with someone who is familiar with the polish rules, and they hated the new mechanics, so we replayed it with the original end game, and it really was better. I don't remember well enough to explain it though.

ultron87

Played a few games over the weekend:

Sheriff of Nottingham, first time getting this to the table and it went over great. A lot of silly bribes being made, lots of double and triple bluffing and all in all very light and fun... Until the end. Then it's way too much adding up points to see who actually won for my liking. One of those games that is more fun to play than to win.

For the next time there's a smartphone app that does all the scoring for you that at least makes that process much less painful.

Protome

I played the original once and wasn't too sure if that mechanic straight up wasn't in it because we didn't manage to finish the game in the time we had (played it over lunch at work.) Would make sense if it isn't though. I'd be tempted to house rules that entire section out and remove all the voting stuff and keep it nice and simple next time I play.

For the next time there's a smartphone app that does all the scoring for you that at least makes that process much less painful.

I will look into this!

EYEL1NER

Wow, where the hell did that come from?! Completely out of left field, although with Dark Souls and Bloodborne getting tabletop adaptations, maybe From Software decided to just go all in with their licenses.
It does look interesting. Customizable mechs with default bodies and swappable arms and weapons? Bipedal, reverse-joint, tank, and tetrapod legged bodies, with hover options possibly available during the Kickstarter?A terrain system on the board simulating towering buildings?
Shit... I was never a super die-hard Armored Core fan but I have enjoyed playing it from the beginning. This is definitely on my radar.
Wow.

Going to the play some games tonight. The Event for the store's FB page says that it will be two games, Munchkin and Canasta. I know Munchkin has a bad rep but I've never played it and feel like I should try it at least once. However, a guy at the store told me that it is Munchkin and Zombicide and the owner told me it will be Smash Up and Canasta. So I'm actually not quite sure what I will be playing. They started doing two games though after a ton of people showed up the last two weeks. It was a bigger turn-out than normal when I took in Zombie Tower 3D and a bunch of people had to go in the back and play Betrayal at House on the Hill since ZT3D is only 4P. Then last week they did Smash Up and Risk. I was at a concert in Atlanta but I checked the pictures from the event and the place was packed.

I plan on taking in BattleCON Fate just for kicks. I went on Sunday since nothing was really scheduled that day and found some UFS players who had bought the World of Indines UFS product and wanted to try BattleCON. I had brought the original BattleCON War in and taught it to some people and played some of it. I played two matches, my Kallistar vs Magdelina (Magdelina beat me handily upon leveling up a couple times) and my Vanaah vs Hikaru (which I won). The guys I taught it to played against each other and then they showed me UFS because I expressed interest in learning it and want to buy the Indines and Darkstalkers cards (once they are able to ship more Darkstalkers product this summer). I watched them play a match with custom decks, then they got out their Indines starter decks and someone handed me the deck and played it over my shoulder. I still didn't feel like I really understood it at that well but I may look up some more tutorials online and read/watch some stuff. Or I may just buy the Indines and Darkstalkers cards and have them just to have, since I don't know how badly I want to deal with another CCG and more deckbuilding past what limited involvement I have with MtG anymore. After playing UFS and BattleCON, I played a quick game of Sellswords which was fun. The scoring system is pretty wonky and the game isn't as Triple Triad-esque as I would like, outside of one variant, but I still enjoyed it and am glad I final,y got my hands on a copy and could play it.

Anyway, one of the guys who played War will be there tonight so I think I might take in Fate. I still don't have it sleeved or sorted but I think I can keep it kind of neat in the box until a dedicated storage solution releases.

Wow, where the hell did that come from?! Completely out of left field, although with Dark Souls and Bloodborne getting tabletop adaptations, maybe From Software decided to just go all in with their licenses.
It does look interesting. Customizable mechs with default bodies and swappable arms and weapons? Bipedal, reverse-joint, tank, and tetrapod legged bodies, with hover options possibly available during the Kickstarter?A terrain system on the board simulating towering buildings?
Shit... I was never a super die-hard Armored Core fan but I have enjoyed playing it from the beginning. This is definitely on my radar.
Wow.

Well they already got sculpted miniatures made for it, so this has been in the works for some time then. I just found it randomly suggested to me while browsing facebook.

EYEL1NER

I just got back from board game night at the store. The people who wanted to play Canasta didn't even show up so that wasn't on the table. We played a six-player game of Nightmare Before Christmas Munchkin. I showed up and they had already started going over the rules but I caught up pretty quickly. I knew of the common complaints about Munchkin and was prepared for them but the game didn't go as long as I expected. We hit the two-hour mark and the store owner called last round at that time. I had 8 points and knew I could get the two more to win by the time it came around to me and I did by selling two items for a level (had an item that doubled the value of my one-use items) and then drew a very low-level monster. If I didn't have a tremendous amount of power and would have struggled with the monster, another player was going to play a card that would give them and me a level, ensuring I would have still won.

I had the lead for a large portion of the game and was fully expecting everyone to gang up on me but no one really went after me. I noticed the same thing when we played Smash Up, people left me alone and saw me able to put together great combos and win. I'm not quite sure why it is but that is how it has been going. Works for me though, if I can pull of wins because of it.

Tomorrow I will be going in for X-Wing night. I am finally ready to try out playing in a store. I have a Lambda and 2x TIE-INT list I wanna try (Interceptors with PTL and Yorr in the Lambda flying alongside as a wingman to strip away the PTL stress tokens). I think next week is going to be the prototype for an Apples To Apples/CAH/Red Flags clone that a local guy is creating. Supposed to be PG-rated but have interesting rules and hilarious results, from what I gathered from the explanation? I'm not super-stoked about playing that type of game in public but if I am going to, I would rather it be a less automatically offensive game, since I am not sure what people's sense of humor and offense levels are at. I'll give it a shot though; I didn't think I would have fun with a Munchkin game after how much I have read trashing it and that surprised me. After that game might be the DC Deckbuilding Game.

I've been doing a couple solo play-throughs of both Fortune and Glory and Eldritch Horror...mostly to really familiarize myself with the rules to the point that I don't need to look them up.

I really like both games (especially that they actually both play really well solo).

I like how well F&G can be scaled for complexity...how easy it is to add in optional rules or ignore them. I'm hoping I can get my friends to have learned the game well enough that the game goes quicker, though.

I did get an opportunity to play F&G with 8 players. It worked but trying to teach so many at once was rough and slowed things down a lot. Same thing happened when I tried to teach Arkham Horror. I should really learn my lesson on that. Werewolf and games like it are the ones good for lots of new players at once.

I hope FFG gets off their butts and reprints the F&G expansions...that danger deck is too small.

As for EH, I've played four games so far and I'm 2 for 4 beating the old ones. I've played against Azathoth twice (1w, 1l), Shub-nigurrath (lost...so close), and Yog-Sothoth (curb stomped 'im). I've come to the conclusion that the Astronomer is one of the more powerful characters...especially if paired with someone with a decent strength/combat skill (and maybe some decent influence).

I can't wait to get to play EH with more than just myself.

Top Bottom