• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Fireblend

Banned
Me and a couple friends went to a beach house this weekend and did nothing other than play board games (it was planned, the rain would have prevented us doing anything else). We played Splendor for the first time and wow. I *need* to own that game. I absolutely loved it and by the last rounds was beating everyone. Love how quickly it plays and how easy it is to play. I think its only drawback for me is that it's 4 players max, so that would prevent me from bringing it to work since there's usually 5-6 of us.

Amory

So I've got my collection started. I picked up Carcassonne, Pandemic, and a card game called No Thanks.

My girlfriend gets back from a trip tomorrow night, and I think we'll try Pandemic out. I looked at the rules and gave setting up the board a try. There's a lot more pieces and card decks than I'm used to, but overall it doesn't look too complicated. I'm excited to play, looks like fun.

Over the weekend I took No Thanks over to a friend's house. The first couple games weren't much fun because none of us had any idea what we were doing, passing on cards or picking them up almost at random. Probably by the 3rd or 4th game, though, everything clicked. It's an incredibly clever little game for how simple it is, and it was crazy how everyone seemed to simultaneously understand how the in-game economy works and what the strategy should be.

We had a great time.

EYEL1NER

The store near my office is clearing out its stock of Relic Knights stuff. Anyone know if the game is worth dipping into?

I looked at the subreddit and the game looks to be pretty dead. That said, I like the figures and the pseudo anime aesthetic, and won't mind having a sub game to play when friends are over.
I've looked into it a bit. I saw that one of the characters was an homage or tribute to Morrigan from Darkstalkers and started paying attention. It didn't seem like there was a big scene anywhere for it though, it just didn't take off. And with me already being invested in 40K, WarmaHordes, Malifaux, Dust Tactics, X-Wing Minis, and being heavily interested in Infinity around that time as well, I decided I didn't need another minis game. The game didn't look that fun either and looking at the rule set for Infinity at the same time only made Relic Knights look worse.
I think if I were going to get into a "Dead Kickstarted Minis Game That Was More About The Minis Than The Game (which is kind of what RK was)," I would go for Anima Tactics or whatever that was called over Relic Knights, because I like the look of those minis more, and then just try to pick up the Morrigan-clone figure from the RK line on the side.

DagsJT

Takenoko is a hit here. My wife was undecided between an 8 or 9 out of 10 but settled on an 8 after reading the BGG guides to their ratings. She appreciated this costing £20 as the characters and bamboo is well made, and doesn't understand card games that cost that (or more), although she understands Legendary Encounters as a lot of thought had gone into the mechanics.

Incidently those same ratings are what's just had her give Star Realms 3/10!

Mr E.

Grabbed Guilds of London, The Networks, Paperback, Imhotep and Colt express from the recent UKGE.

Had a great time meeting Designers and "Celebs".

I've looked into it a bit. I saw that one of the characters was an homage or tribute to Morrigan from Darkstalkers and started paying attention. It didn't seem like there was a big scene anywhere for it though, it just didn't take off. And with me already being invested in 40K, WarmaHordes, Malifaux, Dust Tactics, X-Wing Minis, and being heavily interested in Infinity around that time as well, I decided I didn't need another minis game. The game didn't look that fun either and looking at the rule set for Infinity at the same time only made Relic Knights look worse.
I think if I were going to get into a "Dead Kickstarted Minis Game That Was More About The Minis Than The Game (which is kind of what RK was)," I would go for Anima Tactics or whatever that was called over Relic Knights, because I like the look of those minis more, and then just try to pick up the Morrigan-clone figure from the RK line on the side.

Thanks for the feedback. I took a look at Anima Tactics, and holy shit that looks even deader than Relic Knights. The official store barely has any product left!

But yeah, based on what you've said, I've decided to hold off on Relic Knights. Might look into Super Dungeon Explore though. The figures are really cute, and pretty much all my games are PVP, so it'd be nice to add something coop to my collection

KiKaL

Earlier in this thread I said I would probably never get an Eldritch Horror big box expansion.... Under the Pyramids comes today.

I was looking at picking up Signs of Carcosa and realized that it + S/H would come to about $28. UtP was $33 on Amazon with free shipping. $5 seemed well worth it for the additional content of the big box. I am really dreading the impairment tokens and the idea of them really scared me away originally from UtP but since SoC has them also, it seems they would have eventually entered my game.

joelseph

All the good stuff is already gone from the MM launch sale. I was trying to go through the list super fast too. Got down to L, saw Lewis and Clark for 25 and started buying, nope sold out..

Lyng

Man Ginkgopolis is such a hidden gem! Wonderfull tight Euro.
So many mechanisms yet so simple to play, and so deep.

Man Ginkgopolis is such a hidden gem! Wonderfull tight Euro.
So many mechanisms yet so simple to play, and so deep.

I wish other people liked it more. I've loved the two times I've played it and wanted to get my own copy, but it seemed like it was out of print when I looked, so the prices were prohibitively high

fenners

Ginkopolis got caught the Z-Man Games hole where they took on a bunch of interesting Euros, gave them small print runs & then stopped doing interesting stuff because of their new owners...

It's widely available in Europe for reasonable prices & the game itself is language independent. Great wee game.

Lyng

Ginkopolis got caught the Z-Man Games hole where they took on a bunch of interesting Euros, gave them small print runs & then stopped doing interesting stuff because of their new owners...

It's widely available in Europe for reasonable prices & the game itself is language independent. Great wee game.

Yeah it really great.

The weird thing is, one of the main criticism I have seen is that it is suppose to be hard to teach, which I simply cannot fathom. Its so simple to play??

fenners

Gah, I kinda want to back Cmons new game Massive Darkness. Don't think I can justify it though.

I've backed the last few Zombicides & some more from them, but I'm skipping this one, it looks like. I don't see much interesting gameplay wise so far. The higher 'base' price (combined with the inevitable paid expansion as a stretch goal) isn't helping.

Over the weekend I took No Thanks over to a friend's house. The first couple games weren't much fun because none of us had any idea what we were doing, passing on cards or picking them up almost at random. Probably by the 3rd or 4th game, though, everything clicked. It's an incredibly clever little game for how simple it is, and it was crazy how everyone seemed to simultaneously understand how the in-game economy works and what the strategy should be.

We had a great time.

That first game experience was the only experience I had with No Thanks. It was one of the dullest games I have ever played. For such a simple game, it should be easy to understand what is a good play, but it really didn't seem to be. I haven't played it since because it went over so poorly. I'd be willing to give it another shot but my one and only experience was dreadful.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That first game experience was the only experience I had with No Thanks. It was one of the dullest games I have ever played. For such a simple game, it should be easy to understand what is a good play, but it really didn't seem to be. I haven't played it since because it went over so poorly. I'd be willing to give it another shot but my one and only experience was dreadful.

I actually recently had a similar issue with the Grizzled, which I still enjoyed. But with all new players nobody really knew what a good play/strategy was at all and it was kind of awkward. Thankfully all of these games are fast enough that you do have time for 2-3 plays in the span of ~30m so you can start to get a sense, but I know what you mean.

Fireblend

Banned
So I've been enjoying Codenames too much and it's inspired me to build a keycard generator (the card that spymasters use) for Android. It's far from done, but I have a prototype that I'm pretty satisfied with. It supports grids from 3x3 to 8x8, up to 5 teams, and some neat features for variants that could only be possible with an app, such as randomizing the assassin position between turns, randomizing unrevealed cards between turns (this makes it possible for all players in a team to be spymasters during a single game!), and other crazy stuff.

Here's a screenshot of how it's looking, with a 8x8 grid, 3 teams, 3 assassins and some buttons I added to test the features I mentioned. It needs tons of polish but the core is pretty much in place and I think it's already way better than the official app (in terms of customization):

Screenshot_20160607-142624.png

Amory

The basic gist is you're going to use your chips to pass on cards until it becomes a good enough deal for someone to take it, and then you use the cards you have to extort your opponents.

Let's say the 33 card is active (35 is the highest in the game). Say 16 people pass until you finally decide it's worth it to pick the card up along with the tokens. If you're in a 4 person game, 12 of those tokens were put down by others. Since each token subtracts one point from your score at the end of the game, you're only netting 21 points of the 33 card that you picked up.

Now, where the game gets fun is let's say the next card is the 35 card. No one wants to add 35 points to their score, but you might not mind picking it up if you think the 34 card is in the deck too and you can make a sequence which will add only the lowest sequenced card (33) to your score. So maybe you'll pick it up, but you want to make everyone else pay you to do it first. So you keep passing until there are 16 tokens on the card, then pick it up.

Then later the 34 comes out. And adding that card to your set will cost you nothing, but it would cost everyone else 34 points. So you start extorting them again, but when the tokens on it get to 16 you decide to go one more round, and someone else takes it and fucks you, because now you can't complete your sequence and your 33 and 35 both get added to your score.

The higher the card you pick up to try to start a sequence, the more it hurts your score up front, but the more you'll be able to get out of your opponents later on in the game.

The game is crazy fun, especially if you're having a few drinks.

zulux21

Dragon Hasard Kickstarter was cancelled....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studio34/dragon-hazard-the-saviors-of-havinia/description

Its Dorasure game in Japanese. Was looking forward to it :(

it was but they left off with this.
If there's anything working on this Kickstarter has shown us, it's that the idea of a dragon-slaying adventure is appealing to many of you, especially when the experience is intense and makes the 30-45 minutes it takes to play the game really fly by. So please stay tuned and we hope to see some familiar faces when we try once more.

After all, like in Dragon Hazard, if you don't defeat the dragon the first time, you can better prepare yourself to try again. In the spirit of Dragon Hazard, we intend to do just that.

Karkador

Banned
Received the Osprey Games edition of The Ravens of Thri Sahashri yesterday. Wow. I own a fair amount of small box games, but the production quality they squeezed into this package is excellent.

So I just got Super Dungeon Explore and will be trying my hand at painting miniatures for the first time. Does anyone have any tips or could point me to a good painting guide?

I've been watching a series of beginner painting guides on youtube, but it's specifically for Imperial Assault, which has much more realistic looking figures.

Personally, I'm hoping to get a bright, cartoony look for my figures, and was worried adding too much detail would spoil the look.

There are series of painting Super Dungeon mini on YouTube. Dizzy Angel one is pretty decent.

I picked up Forbidden Star from MM sale, ugh and I told myself no more board game for few months due to backlog, but $60.00 for that game is hard to pass up.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gah, I kinda want to back Cmons new game Massive Darkness. Don't think I can justify it though.

One of these days someone is going to KS a crazy high production value quality game that's not fantasy themed, and I will go all in on the platinum package. Until then I'll just kind of bemusedly watch all these Conan fantasy games that all look the same, seem to cater to the exact same types of players, etc. I'm not hating on it -- it's like BG stores that cater to Magic players -- clearly there is a HUGE market. But I'll be very excited when someone makes a great cyberpunk or even just modern themed game with these types of (incredible) production values that also happens to have good gameplay and not lean super hard on a pure Ameritrash playstyle and length. I don't think that's really happened yet, but one day!

One of these days someone is going to KS a crazy high production value quality game that's not fantasy themed, and I will go all in on the platinum package. Until then I'll just kind of bemusedly watch all these Conan fantasy games that all look the same, seem to cater to the exact same types of players, etc. I'm not hating on it -- it's like BG stores that cater to Magic players -- clearly there is a HUGE market. But I'll be very excited when someone makes a great cyberpunk or even just modern themed game with these types of (incredible) production values that also happens to have good gameplay and not lean super hard on a pure Ameritrash playstyle and length. I don't think that's really happened yet, but one day!

Tokaido deluxe?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

A cyberpunk game with these production values would be awesome.

Experien

Scythe? Endure the Stars? The Others: 7 Sins? I mean most of CMON games are high production value and you get so much.

Taborcarn

Well I sold my copy of Millennium Blades at my last game night on Tuesday. Not because I didn't like it, it's been the biggest hit for the past month. But my wife is due to have our second child in September, and would appreciate it if I did not attend the gaming nights any more starting next month, as it's getting to be too difficult to put our soon-to-be 3-year-old to bed alone. So since that's the only place I'd play it, I sold it to one of the other members for $50 and threw in the deck boxes I was using for storage. Better to have them still enjoy it while it's still the new hotness than to have it sit on my shelves and gather dust.

My first priority is to my family and their well-being, but I just didn't expect to be so bummed out and deflated by this. Especially since it'll probably be well into next year before I get to go to a game night again. A weekend afternoon get-together would be do-able, but those are few and far between.

Adulting is hard.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well I sold my copy of Millennium Blades at my last game night on Tuesday. Not because I didn't like it, it's been the biggest hit for the past month. But my wife is due to have our second child in September, and would appreciate it if I did not attend the gaming nights any more starting next month, as it's getting to be too difficult to put our soon-to-be 3-year-old to bed alone. So since that's the only place I'd play it, I sold it to one of the other members for $50 and threw in the deck boxes I was using for storage. Better to have them still enjoy it while it's still the new hotness than to have it sit on my shelves and gather dust.

My first priority is to my family and their well-being, but I just didn't expect to be so bummed out and deflated by this. Especially since it'll probably be well into next year before I get to go to a game night again. A weekend afternoon get-together would be do-able, but those are few and far between.

Adulting is hard.

Haha yeah. It's not too bad though. Once we had our first (we have two now) I just gave up on super-long Ameritrash, but replaced it with a whole other universe of games. Don't know if it possible, but if you can set up something like lunch games or something at work or church or w/e you can still get gaming in. I don't really have a super-regular traditional game night anymore but I still am able to get a lot of gaming in between playing w/ my wife, playing at work, etc.

Taborcarn

I've asked around about a lunch group at work but there hasn't been much interest. The office has a pool table and a foosball table, so those are more likely to be played. I could try branching out to ask other teams or departments to see if I have any luck.

And unfortunately my wife won't play anything beyond Scrabble, and lately even that's only on the iPad. But at least I have some games that can be played solitaire (Imperial Settlers, Warhammer Quest ACG). And another group member proposed a trade for the Pathfinder ACG so I can give that a shot as well.

And there's always Overwatch ;)

Lyng

I've asked around about a lunch group at work but there hasn't been much interest. The office has a pool table and a foosball table, so those are more likely to be played. I could try branching out to ask other teams or departments to see if I have any luck.

And unfortunately my wife won't play anything beyond Scrabble, and lately even that's only on the iPad. But at least I have some games that can be played solitaire (Imperial Settlers, Warhammer Quest ACG). And another group member proposed a trade for the Pathfinder ACG so I can give that a shot as well.

And there's always Overwatch ;)

Man that sucks :( My wife loves playing now, however she didn't at first.
Making sure I knew the rules inside out and could teach without reading from the rulebook was the game changer.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You probably have, but for both wife & work have you tried starting out with really light games that you know cold? Stuff like Codenames, Skull, Lost Cities, Patchwork.

Taborcarn

Man that sucks :( My wife loves playing now, however she didn't at first.
Making sure I knew the rules inside out and could teach without reading from the rulebook was the game changer.

You probably have, but for both wife & work have you tried starting out with really light games that you know cold? Stuff like Codenames, Skull, Lost Cities, Patchwork.

Yeah that's what I figure I'll have to do, start small and work my way up again. Thanks for the advice and consolation, I do feel a bit better after venting here :)

Adulting is hard.

Well they will grow up soon enough and just think in a decade you will have two gaming partners if you groom them right. I can understand with two kids but may be you can work out an afternoon of gaming in a trade for your wife having ME time or girl night out. My wife and I did that for a bit when our kids were younger, I would go play in CCG tournament but in return she get Saturday night out with her friends.

Anyway, solo gaming can be fun. Now with my oldest son left for military and my daughter now mostly busy with getting ready for college I do plenty of solo game with occasional game day at local FLGS. At least you get to play Millenium Blades, our copy is still in shrink wrap.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah that's what I figure I'll have to do, start small and work my way up again. Thanks for the advice and consolation, I do feel a bit better after venting here :)

Yep this is like my biggest thing I take pride in in all of board gaming is being able to find the right games for totally different groups of people and player counts. This geeklist is super helpful as a starting point: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/205940/optimum-game-selection-tool-v30

But yeah if you show up with say a mediumweight game for a group that is totally novice and not particularly geeky you can scare them off games forever. I mean I've had people tell me Mysterium is "super complicated" after I explained the rules to them (thankfully not too complicated for them to still enjoy ultimately) so you certainly have to know your audience. I guess it helps that I actually really enjoy good light games (except social deduction).

Taborcarn

Yep this is like my biggest thing I take pride in in all of board gaming is being able to find the right games for totally different groups of people and player counts. This geeklist is super helpful as a starting point: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/205940/optimum-game-selection-tool-v30

But yeah if you show up with say a mediumweight game for a group that is totally novice and not particularly geeky you can scare them off games forever. I mean I've had people tell me Mysterium is "super complicated" after I explained the rules to them (thankfully not too complicated for them to still enjoy ultimately) so you certainly have to know your audience. I guess it helps that I actually really enjoy good light games (except social deduction).

Ok good it seems like we have similar tastes. I like some light filler games, but definitely not social deduction. And I know my sister and fiance at least play Catan. They live in another state but I'll see them at a family gather later in the month so I can try to get something played there as well.

Fireblend

Banned
Bought Betrayal at House on The Hill.

What should I expect

After playing more games I don't know if I'm as much of a fan of Betrayal as I was a couple months ago. The game's strength lies in its story-building; exploring the house, reading the event cards full of awesome flavor text, maybe even roleplaying a bit... and then when the second phase of the game begins, it kind of turns into this almost-always unbalanced thing that's sort of a mess. Almost inevitably either the betrayer or the heroes will be overpowered due to the item distribution they got during the first phase, or how much damage they had, and the game becomes a losing battle for the other faction. It's a fun game, and my group really loved it for a good 3 months or so, but I feel like it can have a very weak second half. Still very much worth playing though!

sasimirobot

Just found out today I have been playing HANABI wrong for over 2 years. I didn't know you could just toss any card on the display as long as it was playable somewhere. We always played you had to correctly guess where to play it also.

Now it seems like the game will be much easier...

Top Bottom