• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Don't like the look of the dice (sorry, Premium Dice®). Dice Masters dice are slightly on the cheap side, but fine to play with nonetheless, and the variety of colors they use + the choice in iconography is a lot of fun. Definitely nice to have a big, colorful handful of them. The SW Premium Dice® just look weird.

Yeah I think a big thing in Quarriors and Dicemasters is just being able to quickly go "yes!" at a result without having to look at little numbers. That's actually why I got the custom Arkham/EH dice too (the ones from BGG, not the official ones from FFG which aren't as good). The dice do look good quality, and it's cool that they're printed on and not stickers, but they seem to kind of miss the point. Doesn't matter though, won't halt any printing of money, more just an academic discussion.

Karkador

Banned
Yeah, I'd assume the money will be printed, though this looks a bit dodgy and more so destined for a Walmart bin than their usual Star Wars products.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'll demo the Star Wars dice game it at Gen Con for the promo cards. I may pick up the starter sets just to have something unique to play with my wife. She loves Star Wars, and this definitely looks like it will be easy enough for my wife to learn try out.

Vard

Nice, love Viticulture.

They just released a Tuscany Essentials Edition. Less expensive than the full Tuscany and has the best bit which is the expanded board.
Nice, this sounds interesting. Have you played Tuscany before - how good are the new elements not already brought into Viticulture EE?

After the first play, it should actually be medium in length, still somewhat heavy in play. It's weird, but in my head, I compare it to Istanbul and Eclipse. Like Eclipse, there's a 4x element in explore, expand, the combat e, and the research e.

Scale that down a bit to Istanbul's length. The goal is to be the first to six stars, so you can still do all those 4x things, but have that time limit where it's more like a race, so when you switch over from engine-building to scoring is super important.
Hmm, thanks for sharing your thoughts on Scythe. I love Istanbul (also have the expansion) but didn't have much fun the one time I played Eclipse, although partly my fault for playing too passively. I'll definitely have to check more Scythe vids to see if it will be something I'll like and that my gaming group would want to play.

My local FLGS was getting rid of the extra copy of Mansions of Madness (I believed it was from when they were running Game Night) It was opened but practicallly unused just all the card board were punched and pile into a plastic bag. Anyway I figured why not for $40. So I got the game set up and sometimes I do missed the old FFG over the top bits and pieces. We played a game and it was just so boring. I was the keeper and my daughter was the investigator and she thought it was pretty boring and the mechanics was dull. I sort of agree, I find the Investigator had very little time and the game ended faster than the time it take for me to set it up. I want to give it another go but my daughter probably will passed on it. May be it was a good idea that FFG revamped this game and move to app model.

JesseZao

Haven't played it yet, but I believe the expanded board is highly recommended.

I've only played the expanded board. I don't think I could go back to vanilla. The guy who owned the copy I played says he would only play the expansion board as well.

The turn order track is a game-changer.

Did it add the seasons too?, because the planning mechanic is great as well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
gencon check again, what stuff are people hoping to check out there?

I have NO idea if any of this stuff will even be at Gen Con, but...

• Massive Darkness - Decided to late pledge on this and want to check it out in person.
  • Gloomhaven - I got in on this a while ago and would love to check out the hour demo quest they have setup for the con.
  • Dark Souls - I did NOT KS this, but the opening of the late pledge stuff has me interested to at least check it out and see how it plays.
  • Runebound 3e - I want to like this game. Solo Runebound 2e is still my favorite game of all time. I'd love to try 3e to see if a solo variant is possible or if it would even be fun.
  • Star Wars Dice - I already stated why some posts back. Just want to see what the fuss is about.
  • Shadows of Brimstone stuff - I had heard that they were going to be showing off the new Otherworld Expansion and have some new Gen Con preview stuff for sale...

Taborcarn

Well I just preordered the two Gencon games I'm most looking forward to, Guilds of London and Via Nebula. I also added on the Rick and Morty Total Rickall game to get free shipping.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's an interesting year because there seem to be a lot of solid titles but not too many standouts EXCEPT Seafall which I think will have the most hype given the pre-existing hype and also the super-limited quantities they'll have. I'm also looking forward to finding out about probably 10+ games from there, including Potion Explosion, Junk Art, and Pandemic: Cthulhu (sorry suckas -- Pandemic foreva!!!!). Looking at the lists, man there's a lot. Even stuff like Legendary: Firefly I might consider buying if it's good. Granted some of these have already been reviewed pretty extensively but it's still interesting to see them coming out. If I was a VIP I'd definitely have a hard time picking which 3-4 booths to target.

Blizzard

Banned
I've only played the expanded board. I don't think I could go back to vanilla. The guy who owned the copy I played says he would only play the expansion board as well.

The turn order track is a game-changer.

Did it add the seasons too?, because the planning mechanic is great as well.
The seasons and turn order track are in Viticulture EE as far as I am aware, as well as the mama/papa selection mechanic.

Xater

It's an interesting year because there seem to be a lot of solid titles but not too many standouts EXCEPT Seafall which I think will have the most hype given the pre-existing hype and also the super-limited quantities they'll have. I'm also looking forward to finding out about probably 10+ games from there, including Potion Explosion, Junk Art, and Pandemic: Cthulhu (sorry suckas -- Pandemic foreva!!!!). Looking at the lists, man there's a lot. Even stuff like Legendary: Firefly I might consider buying if it's good. Granted some of these have already been reviewed pretty extensively but it's still interesting to see them coming out. If I was a VIP I'd definitely have a hard time picking which 3-4 booths to target.

I picked up Potion Explosion last October in Essen and love it.

I know people are pissed about Mansions 2e but I don't have a copy and I think 2e looks awesome, but why not allow the game to be played without the app as well?

I am wrong about that?

Xater

I am thinking about getting Mission Red Planet. That game was never released here before and looks like a fun are control game with action selection Both things I like and are currently missing from my collection. I actually did look at Blood Rage as well, but the price is too much and I don't think thematically it will go over well with my group. Mission: Red Planet also seems to have the right amount of conflict, no battles but some fun take that stuff.

I know people are pissed about Mansions 2e but I don't have a copy and I think 2e looks awesome, but why not allow the game to be played without the app as well?

I am wrong about that?

People are actually pissed about it? I thought everyone hates not playing the investigators.

JesseZao

The seasons and turn order track are in Viticulture EE as far as I am aware, as well as the mama/papa selection mechanic.

Maybe I didn't have any Tuscany stuff then. We did use the mamas and papas, but maybe the other stuff were just expansions included with Viticulture.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How heavy is Viticulture? Is it a game I could play with my wife if she isn't one to grasp super deep game rules and concepts? The theme is awesome.

JesseZao

How heavy is Viticulture? Is it a game I could play with my wife if she isn't one to grasp super deep game rules and concepts? The theme is awesome.

It's medium to medium-heavy depending on what you include, I'd say. The mechanics flow nicely enough that anyone that likes strategy games or just building/planning in games should give it a go.

I don't know how enjoyable it would be as a two player game, though. I've only played with 4/5.

People are actually pissed about it? I thought everyone hates not playing the investigators.

You mean playing the Keeper.

Lot of people hate app driven games like X-Com and now this. Buying expensive games that require you to have another component to play with thats vital to it is kinda annoying, and of course there is the issue with product support. FFG going to be supporting that app 5 years from now so that it works with current tablets and such? Will they keep it alive, or will they eventually let it die making your game unplayable without finding an ancient tablet or phone to run the app on?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm kind of all for using technology in interesting ways in board games, even if the first few years of efforts are going to be kludgy, but in the FFG case specifically it just shows how unconscionably fiddly a lot of their games are that they're basically trying to find expensive (for them, in terms of development costs) and somewhat unpopular workarounds to doing all the horrendous accounting shit all their games force you to do. I was just playing Elder Sign with Omens of Ice (and all the other expansions integrated) and jesus some of the accounting/rules questions that just naturally came up were more brainburning than the game itself.

Part of the charm I know. :p

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
You mean playing the Keeper.

Lot of people hate app driven games like X-Com and now this. Buying expensive games that require you to have another component to play with thats vital to it is kinda annoying, and of course there is the issue with product support. FFG going to be supporting that app 5 years from now so that it works with current tablets and such? Will they keep it alive, or will they eventually let it die making your game unplayable without finding an ancient tablet or phone to run the app on?

It should run a long ass time on a Windows device.

It should run a long ass time on a Windows device.

Problem being you are forcing ppl to use only specific devices. Without continual support from the developers, apps often become incompatible with newer versions of software on tablets/phones. So anyone depending on these for their game play, are gonna be shit out of luck and forced to have a windows device? No, that's not cool

These types of things should never be required, optional at best.

sasimirobot

About the app with gaming thing. Last night we tried using that neat Android Netrunner app and while it looks cool and worked pretty well, there is just something about having credits on the board and in hand that gives the game...feeling.

I think everyone that plays board games knows that even just messing around with tokens/money/cubes/etc...between turns in hand lends to irl gaming's fulfilling tactility.

TLDR. Apps with board games feels cold.

So yea Armored Core is turning into a disaster, they are now gonna change the name of the game and apparently gonna drop the Armored Core license from it? Not sure how that's gonna work and sounds like a massive mess

Xater

So yea Armored Core is turning into a disaster, they are now gonna change the name of the game and apparently gonna drop the Armored Core license from it? Not sure how that's gonna work and sounds like a massive mess

That does not sound like a well run operation. You figure that shit out beforehand. I mean the Dark Souls game was able to get it done.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Reading the KS comments is brutal. There is like, ZERO faith in that company now.

Woops! Cashing in on the video game -> board game phenomenon backfired.

E: However, it also brings more evidence to the table that people are backing shit just because of the name. Some of the comments include, "I'm not sure I like this change. I backed this since it was armored core not just a random much game." And "The title is a main selling point." It's annoying that a game could be genuinely good and get zero exposure because it's not called "Mario & Sonic Visit Hyrule: The Game About Bloodborne and Overwatch - Diablo III Edition".

That does not sound like a well run operation. You figure that shit out beforehand. I mean the Dark Souls game was able to get it done.

We really don't know that yet, Dark Souls hasn't delivered a single thing yet. Many are predicting trouble with that one too because of the crazy amount of minis and extras being given from a company without a real track record either. If they have licensing delays cause of FROM as well as the AC guys claim, the DS KS can turn out into a mess.

I avoided DS not just because the game kinda looked dull, but because I just think its gonna turn into another huge mess of promises kickstarter like Shadows of Brimstone, Robotech, etc, etc. People had faith in Flying Frog, it's gonna be 4 years soon and we haven't gotten our stretch goals and likely not till next year at this point

Draxal

We really don't know that yet, Dark Souls hasn't delivered a single thing yet. Many are predicting trouble with that one too because of the crazy amount of minis and extras being given from a company without a real track record either. If they have licensing delays cause of FROM as well as the AC guys claim, the DS KS can turn out into a mess.

I avoided DS not just because the game kinda looked dull, but because I just think its gonna turn into another huge mess of promises kickstarter like Shadows of Brimstone, Robotech, etc, etc. People had faith in Flying Frog, it's gonna be 4 years soon and we haven't gotten our stretch goals and likely not till next year at this point

Eh, Guild Ball is kinda of an example of successful story, but yeah steamforged probably has about the same cred as Flying Frog before that kickstarter so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Xater

Well at least they haven't claimed to have problems so far. I kinda don't care because I don't back any boardgames on KS.Especially not ones that are heavy on minis.

EYEL1NER

Wow, that is some serious shit going on with the Armored Core Kickstarter. I'm glad it is going down before I pledged though, saves me time from even having to cancel my pledge later.

Yikes, they had to pull all the Armored Core branding off of it?

They are changing the art and modifying the models apparently too. Tweaking the whole thing to get away with now selling it as Not-Armored Core.

They have lost like 10k since this morning in funding, just keeps going down.

Xater

They are changing the art and modifying the models apparently too. Tweaking the whole thing to get away with now selling it as Not-Armored Core.

Not surprising. Armored Core designs are very distinct. The stuff I am seeing right now on the Kickstarter page are not exactly impressive. If you make a mech game, you better make sure you have some cool mechs.

Not surprising. Armored Core designs are very distinct. The stuff I am seeing right now on the Kickstarter page are not exactly impressive. If you make a mech game, you better make sure you have some cool mechs.

They previously were posting up real vague looking stretch goal images of the added mechs and extras you could buy, so it does appear they never got approval for their planned stretch goals in the first place, and are now posting up actual new designs of their own artwork wise. Folks were making comments how some of the new stuff didn't look like something from AC.

Faiz

It's medium to medium-heavy depending on what you include, I'd say. The mechanics flow nicely enough that anyone that likes strategy games or just building/planning in games should give it a go.

I don't know how enjoyable it would be as a two player game, though. I've only played with 4/5.

Agree with this.

My wife and I play it 2-player a lot, we still love it.

Didn't they say they were using 3D model data from the games to make the figures?

Supposedly, the stretch goal previews though looked like they were undetailed simplified models, so they musta not have had them approved and realized how difficult this was gonna be to get approved artwork/models

About the app with gaming thing. Last night we tried using that neat Android Netrunner app and while it looks cool and worked pretty well, there is just something about having credits on the board and in hand that gives the game...feeling.

I think everyone that plays board games knows that even just messing around with tokens/money/cubes/etc...between turns in hand lends to irl gaming's fulfilling tactility.

TLDR. Apps with board games feels cold.

Dice rolling app is probably the worst offender for me personally. It takes all the fun and textile of playing board games. That said, I think there is room for apps in board gaming especially RPG style campaign games or may be app for solo gaming vs AI. I really don't find app like the one for Descent to be entering into video games realms, if the app is used to help set up the board and keep track of tokens from game to game then I am all for that. We have a "pause" game of Imperial Assault between my brother in law and I, whom I don't get to see very often and it would be nice to have all our game status lock into the app and we can pull out and set up the game the next time we get to play (which is usually once or twice a year). I was also pretty miff with Silver Tower game usage of app and still feel they really should release card board version but the app is pretty nice for keeping and tracking your "campaign" game.

I went to another MeetUp group on Saturday, as I find the one at Guardian Games to be at time way too noisy for playing Euro (they often have Magic tournament going on) so I was looking for a new place to play. This one was at small café and there were only few people there but it was really nice and the people there are great to play with. They were, well according to my daughter "normal" people that just like playing board games. We had a great time with 7 players 7 Wonders game. I am not sure if I dig the expansions stuffs, I tied for last which is typical for me playing 7 Wonders, I love the game but really terrible at it. We also played 6 players Viticulture (just vanilla version with none of the Tuscany expansion) and we had a great time. My daughter love it, after which I told her I have many times in the past ask her to play this game but she always said it look boring ...

I also went to Euro Day at Guardian Games the next day and no one in our little group was there, I was late and most group already started their games and the crowd was smaller due to Beer and Music Festival nearby. I met a new person and she taught me and this one other guy how to play Orleans. I am really in love with this game. It feels like a great mash up of Euro with deckbuilding. I also impulse buy Salvation Road and we played a game of it, well I should have known not to get any Kickstarters games before reading all the reviews. It was just alright and may be hit the table when I am bored and feel like getting kick in the groin. I was thinking if it got another print run then the game should be good or decent, and yes I was wrong.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
To be fair, any Netrunner app is not official so it's kind of apples and oranges to an extent. I think probably the best official BG app I ever used was the 7 Wonders one. It was just really pretty and did a lot of cool stat-tracking and scoring (even though I think they borked some of the actual arithmetic :p) that you could just do much better in-app. Key point though being that it didn't take over any in-game stuff, and certainly wasn't required.

I do agree for sure that on dice-rolling and other stuff, apps just aren't as fun 90% of the time. Even something you'd think would be cool, like the Dead of Winter app that reads Crossroads cards to you dramatically, I usually wind up going back to physical for many reasons, including that the app takes you out of the experience, but also that it's just kludgier. Where you can remove a sometimes-annoying part of the game though, like DMing, or even say in One-Night Werewolf narrating, that could be a decent in-game use though. But yeah it should be optional.

One bit of good news for me last week that I totally missed, was the announcement of the Citadels reboot. I can replace my beat-up old copy, woohoo! Love Citadels. https://www.asmodee.us/en/news/2016/7/29/the-most-magnificent-city/

zulux21

what a mess. the moment they lost the armored core branding they should have been forced to cancel the kickstarter and start again.

that is clearly a bait and switch and doing anything but relaunching with it clear that they lost the license is super scummy and I would never trust that company...

in fact... *goes and figures out what company it is to make sure to add them to the never buy from list*

edit:
Now is a good time to reiterate our anytime refund policy: We will be providing refunds for any reason, anytime, even after you receive your rewards.

that at least isn't bad. but still reading... dropping the IP it is based off of just to meet release schedule is rather stupid. A lot of people were backing for the name, not the weird ass game they were making.

ultron87

A thing that had me considering that Kickstarter was that Armored Core mechs look dope so in the worst case scenario I'd have some decent minis. With that gone, whelp.

Top Bottom