• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

what a mess. the moment they lost the armored core branding they should have been forced to cancel the kickstarter and start again.

that is clearly a bait and switch and doing anything but relaunching with it clear that they lost the license is super scummy and I would never trust that company...

in fact... *goes and figures out what company it is to make sure to add them to the never buy from list*

edit:

that at least isn't bad. but still reading... dropping the IP it is based off of just to meet release schedule is rather stupid. A lot of people were backing for the name, not the weird ass game they were making.

I can see them having to restart or cancel and retry it with AC license again, they have been steadily losing pledges all day. They have lost over 25k already. And the kickstarter had gotten stuck several days ago with almost no growth happening.

Some of the designs I think still look good even if they aren't AC mechs anymore, but they should also be listening to their backers who many are claiming they need to get alot more for their money now. It's no longer a licensed product, so its gonna be cheaper to produce, so we should be getting more for our money or price reduced. They ain't gonna reduce the price at this point as its not really possible, so they are gonna need to toss in a whole lot more into everyone pledges if they hope to keep their backers

Blizzard

Banned
One bit of good news for me last week that I totally missed, was the announcement of the Citadels reboot. I can replace my beat-up old copy, woohoo! Love Citadels. https://www.asmodee.us/en/news/2016/7/29/the-most-magnificent-city/
I missed the news too. More cards sounds cool. I generally like Citadels, as long as you can convince people not to take forever picking a card.

Too bad the new box looks big.

One big downside for Citadels is skipping turns -- I hardly ever play with the Assassin for that reason. Even the Thief and Witch are really annoying.

sasimirobot

huh...Now that I think about it, 7 Wonders app and the ONUWW app do make the games much better/easier, but they don't replace in game components in anyway, just end game scoring and narration. (its actually faster to use pen and paper to do scores in 7 wonders)

I have always thought that if somehow you could make a "Ticket to Ride" app that uses your phones photo taking ability to calculate the end game scoring, that would be awesome!

Almost all my game groups complaints come from end the game scoring taking too long with TTR, even though they love the game otherwise .

fenners

I have always thought that if somehow you could make a "Ticket to Ride" app that uses your phones photo taking ability to calculate the end game scoring, that would be awesome!

Almost all my game groups complaints come from end the game scoring taking too long with TTR, even though they love the game otherwise .

Wait, what? From just counting up the route cards you've passed/failed? that takes too long?

ultron87

Yeah, the ONUW one is great. Sheriff of Nottingham's scoring app is another good one because oh buddy is the scoring in that game a drag compared to how nice the rest of the game is.

fenners

counting longest route, counting 2/3/4/5+ train routes and the bonuses, and breaking down the board with 5 players does take some time...

You score those 2/3/4/5 routes as you place 'em, just normal part of the routine. At least, every game/group I've played T2R has done that... At the end of the game, it's just doing the cards + longest route (and that's usually pretty obvious to narrow down).

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

sasimirobot

You score those 2/3/4/5 routes as you place 'em, just normal part of the routine. At least, every game/group I've played T2R has done that... At the end of the game, it's just doing the cards + longest route (and that's usually pretty obvious to narrow down).

that makes sense, will try. no wonder they put a scoring track there...

Blizzard

Banned

We always score as we place them, but at the end of the game someone invariably has missed one or two of their routes.

So everyone doublechecks anyway. :p

The family and I have now gotten in around 10 games of Machi Koro plus both expansions. Games clock in around 60-90 minutes. I have noticed that the games are always really, really close between at least 2 and often all four players. I also like that you can lose every coin and then work your way to big money several times within a single game. This means that no matter how bad things look, a single turn around the table can have you not only back in your feet, but ahead of the game.

Last night I had enough coins to finish the game, but I rolled a 12 and my 7yr old daughter who had zero money at the time took every last one of my coins and proceeded to win the game on her turn! Honestly, there are often several memory making stories per game.

Lyng

The family and I have now gotten in around 10 games of Machi Koro plus both expansions. Games clock in around 60-90 minutes. I have noticed that the games are always really, really close between at least 2 and often all four players. I also like that you can lose every coin and then work your way to big money several times within a single game. This means that no matter how bad things look, a single turn around the table can have you not only back in your feet, but ahead of the game.

Last night I had enough coins to finish the game, but I rolled a 12 and my 7yr old daughter who had zero money at the time took every last one of my coins and proceeded to win the game on her turn! Honestly, there are often several memory making stories per game.

Too me Machi Koro feels like Monopoly without everything that makes Monopoly bad.
Great family game.

joelseph

I love reading these stories about gaming with the family. Thanks for sharing!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Are you guys playing with the expansion rules where you sort of have a random, rotating card supply? We tried it once but couldn't quite get into it though we may just have had a bad set. Also just like RFTG and a few other games I hate shuffling ginormous stacks of cards. :p

Are you guys playing with the expansion rules where you sort of have a random, rotating card supply? We tried it once but couldn't quite get into it though we may just have had a bad set. Also just like RFTG and a few other games I hate shuffling ginormous stacks of cards. :p

Yes, we use the random deck mechanic. It really adds an interesting flow to the game. Once a new spot is available and you get to flip another card, the whole family leans in to read it, usually followed by lots of ooos and ahhhhs and declarations of what uses the card would have. It's also a good opportunity to figure out/explain how a card with multiple mechanics work before moving on with the turn sequence.

Someone earlier explained how the original game would stagnate after awhile because people would come up with a card buying strategy and never feel the need to change up. With the random properties, every game requires the players to think on the fly with an ever changing landscape of properties. The selection of cards tend to cause the game to move a tad faster towards the "roll two dice" phase of the game.

I feel your pain on shuffling huge decks. My wife and I just shuffle while we chat a bit, swapping out half decks from time to time. We actually have two draw piles and rotate between them when adding new properties. We also shuffle them once or twice before putting the game away.

XShagrath

Anyone score Codenames: Deep Undercover at Target?

Those online stock trackers SAY mine has copies, but they don't.

I didn't know about this till today. Ran to my local Target and used the in-store app. It told me what aisle it was in, and it wasn't there. I asked an employee and he said some stuff hasn't showed up, and probably by the end of the week.

It's easier to score as you go I think and the new expansions require that you score immediately because of the new mechanics. It was a bit annoying though that they don't put scoring scheme on the new maps (the reference card we have were from TTR Europe and didn't have scoring for some of the newer spaces and there was no ref. card for the new map (I think the 5 and the 7 were not on the European map and took us awhile to find the scoring) We love the new expansion especially Pennsylvania.

Bii

Anyone score Codenames: Deep Undercover at Target?

Those online stock trackers SAY mine has copies, but they don't.

Will check my Target tomorrow for it. And since I'm over there, I will probably look for the Oregon Trail Card Game as well.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Double Bonus:

Proselytizing for Machi Koro is a guarantee against a ban.

glad you liked it

It's kind of bullshitty what they're doing (did) with the Armored Core kickstarter. They should just cancel the campaign and re-launch.

That said... my group is keeping our backing

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
It's kind of bullshitty what they're doing (did) with the Armored Core kickstarter. They should just cancel the campaign and re-launch.

As someone who has worked with license holders.. they should have had all of their planned stretch goals planned out and approved well before the campaign went live.

This sounds like they want to add a bunch of stuff and they can't promise something they don't know will be approved.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pretty cool how you can do this in BGStats -- my July in board games!

enTlN5n.jpg

Don't know if a relaunch could really help it, they have lost over 200 backers, and a ton of money already. Its largely a cosmetic change to the game, but still it paints the whole thing in a bad light.

As some have noted, it appears the game was originally made to be Mech Command, that the whole Armored Core license aspect was added later, since they somehow overnight had tons of unique artwork and models made up for their own campaign? Some artists may be talented, but no way they made all this new stuff over night like that, they had this all done previously and probably from the original game.

ultron87

After like two years of it sitting on my shelf we got to the second case in Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective last night. That game remains great. Real nice open-ended puzzle thing.

Case 1+2 spoilers:
We ended up solving it and it was fun, but that case seems kind of bullshit. Like the entire solution is just "oh, random actor name -> look up theater -> HERE IS THE EXACT MOTIVE AND MEANS." It didn't have a good "putting it all together" moment like Case 1 did, for me at least. (It is entirely possible that this is entirely to form for Holmes stories, I haven't read a ton.)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah BG Stats is the best. Just wish it was cross-platform. :/

So FFG is really doing this Arkham LCG thing huh? I know Arkham is a cash cow (and I contribute to it big time), but they do realize there's like, a very low limit to how many LCGs the market will support right? I'm an experienced LCG player, and I love Arkham, and there's almost no chance I'll bother with this.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/arkham-horror-lcg-showcase/

Edit: Should note that it is cooperative though, hence there being a small chance I'll try it out. If it's all new art. Sick of seeing the same (admittedly awesome) Arkham art constantly reused.

XShagrath

So FFG is really doing this Arkham LCG thing huh? I know Arkham is a cash cow (and I contribute to it big time), but they do realize there's like, a very low limit to how many LCGs the market will support right? I'm an experienced LCG player, and I love Arkham, and there's almost no chance I'll bother with this.

Edit: Should note that it is cooperative though, hence there being a small chance I'll try it out. If it's all new art. Sick of seeing the same (admittedly awesome) Arkham art constantly reused.

Just looking at the page briefly, it seems like it's inspired by the LOTR LCG. Having been designed by Nate French makes me think that even more.

Draxal

Are they killing off their original Mythos LCG, Call of Cthulu?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The fact that it is coop and can be played with one player has made me immediately interested in the Arkham LCG.

Yeah if you're interested in a lifestyle game it definitely could be interesting. Honestly I couldn't find time to balance even a single LCG and playing other board games with any regularity.

Looks like its kinda based on the LOTR system.

As for supporting LCG's, I think they know they only will only last so long, so they simply cut back support on older ones to push their new ones. LOTR, AGOT, Star Wars, all have been getting dwindling support. So push out new product, sell as much as they can and then move onto the next game.

Draxal

Call of Cthuhlu LCG ended last year. They're still doing reprints, but no new content.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/22/let-it-eternal-lie/

Ah cool, thanks I don't recall seeing that announcement.

Looks like its kinda based on the LOTR system.

As for supporting LCG's, I think they know they only will only last so long, so they simply cut back support on older ones to push their new ones. LOTR, AGOT, Star Wars, all have been getting dwindling support. So push out new product, sell as much as they can and then move onto the next game.

Well AGOT, got a reboot since the TV show is doing great, but yeah some of those old tcs were showing their teeth.

So the LCGS that they have right now are Arkham, Star Wars, LoTR, Warhammer 40: Conquest, AGOT: Second Edition with Warhammer: invasion and CoC ended. Legend of the Five Rings is being developed but who knows if that will see the light of day.

edit.

Forgetting Netrunner DERR.

Well AGOT, got a reboot since the TV show is doing great, but yeah some of those old tcs were showing their teeth.

So the LCGS that they have right now are Arkham, Star Wars, LoTR, Warhammer 40: Conquest, AGOT: Second Edition with Warhammer: invasion and CoC ended. Legend of the Five Rings is being developed but who knows if that will see the light of day.

Star Wars and LOTR have had their support really cut back, dont see them lasting much longer really.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

edit.

Forgetting Netrunner DERR.

NR is I think their big one, but just anecdotally almost half of the people I used to play hardcore Netrunner with have dropped out and have not migrated to another LCG. I think competitive vs. co-op is fairly different but they are sort of similarly time-consuming in that if you are to get out of the game what the designers intend you have to be really invested.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The campaign aspect of Arkham sounds pretty interesting. Much like all my hobbies, videogames, boardgames, they are all massive money sinks.

Top Bottom