• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Bii

Picked up The Oregon Trail Card Game from Target. The employees there were restocking and reorganizing the board game section. I didn't wait to see if they were putting out Codenames Deep Undercover since I was on my lunch break.

The box sadly looks like 4x the size of the original

I think they just changed it to small square box instead of the FFG small long box (which is horrible for making insert for, though it does have small footprint). It probably will go back to the size of the FFG original square box (the size of their small LCG expansion). The problem with small box from company stand point is that they just get lost in the shelf. With so many board game I can see why they want to be able to stand out. Look at Machi Koro, that game is 10 times the size of what the box should be (don't ban me mod).

I might try to find the FFG version, my son and I played this game at PAX so many years ago when we first dabble back into hobby board game.

The campaign aspect of Arkham sounds pretty interesting. Much like all my hobbies, videogames, boardgames, they are all massive money sinks.

All hobbies are money sink .... I just mainly switch from video games to board games, I think I only bought 3 games so far this year and one of them is still in shrink wrap. I also cut way back on LEGO (now talk about money sinks). Anyway, Arkham card game looks like Lords of the Rings with Arkham Horror theme. I don't know if I want to get back into LCG and especially solo / co-op deck construction game. I love LOTR but I hate the fact that you make the deck to beat the scenario.

Star Wars LCG we had a lot of fun with and we like it a lot but after the 2nd big box expansions, there was just too many cards and as Astro said, it's a lifestyle game and I think I am past that stage in my life. I would rather enjoy the wide variety of board and card games than sinking money and time into just one or two games. I don't know if they should have gone the LoTR route for Star Wars (co-op campaign style instead of a duel game) but the game they put out was solid. I think one of the expansion have sort of co-op one vs many scenario, but we played it once and thought it was pretty boring.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think they just changed it to small square box instead of the FFG small long box (which is horrible for making insert for, though it does have small footprint). It probably will go back to the size of the FFG original square box (the size of their small LCG expansion). The problem with small box from company stand point is that they just get lost in the shelf. With so many board game I can see why they want to be able to stand out. Look at Machi Koro, that game is 10 times the size of what the box should be (don't ban me mod).
Yet another reason FLGS need to die. All the terrible boxes made to catch the eye of FLGS mouthbreathers. See also: Tins.

I'm (half) kidding!!!

Yet another reason FLGS need to die. All the terrible boxes made to catch the eye of FLGS mouthbreathers. See also: Tins.

I'm (half) kidding!!!

I don't have problem with FLGS and they are mostly CCG players (Magic or Yu-gi-oh). I think it serve it purpose, where do you think these kids would be playing their CCG if not for local stores. It may not be for you or me but I think it would be terrible if FLGS were to die off.

Also, board games are in a lot of mainstream place now like B&N and Target (depends on demographic) expand quite a bit on their gaming shelves.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't have problem with FLGS and they are mostly CCG players (Magic or Yu-gi-oh). I think it serve it purpose, where do you think these kids would be playing their CCG if not for local stores. It may not be for you or me but I think it would be terrible if FLGS were to die off.

Also, board games are in a lot of mainstream place now like B&N and Target (depends on demographic) expand quite a bit on their gaming shelves.

Yeah sorry, not intended to be an anti-FLGS diatribe (that was the joke part), just an anti-dumb-box diatribe. And I have a giant wall dedicated to board games. Most people have to fit their games on much less, so the dumb packaging really needs to be called out.

Yeah sorry, not intended to be an anti-FLGS diatribe (that was the joke part), just an anti-dumb-box diatribe. And I have a giant wall dedicated to board games. Most people have to fit their games on much less, so the dumb packaging really needs to be called out.

Amen. I opened grand austria hotel last night, so much wasted space.

String safari is the worst offender ever though (plz don't ban me)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I might try to find the FFG version, my son and I played this game at PAX so many years ago when we first dabble back into hobby board game.

All hobbies are money sink .... I just mainly switch from video games to board games, I think I only bought 3 games so far this year and one of them is still in shrink wrap. I also cut way back on LEGO (now talk about money sinks). Anyway, Arkham card game looks like Lords of the Rings with Arkham Horror theme. I don't know if I want to get back into LCG and especially solo / co-op deck construction game. I love LOTR but I hate the fact that you make the deck to beat the scenario.

Star Wars LCG we had a lot of fun with and we like it a lot but after the 2nd big box expansions, there was just too many cards and as Astro said, it's a lifestyle game and I think I am past that stage in my life. I would rather enjoy the wide variety of board and card games than sinking money and time into just one or two games. I don't know if they should have gone the LoTR route for Star Wars (co-op campaign style instead of a duel game) but the game they put out was solid. I think one of the expansion have sort of co-op one vs many scenario, but we played it once and thought it was pretty boring.

Yeah, all good points. I'm just sucker for Arkham. Probably going to have to double down with Mansions.

I've got a bit in the Halo Fleet Battles game too. I need to learn to paint now :(

zulux21

So who all is going to GenCon?
This will be my first year, I'll be representing my business scoping out the hot new stuff.

some of my friends are, though I don't know if any of them are going to have a good time.

one of them who was planning for going for pleasure is now going to have to do Hex related things for most of it, leaving the other two to fend for themselves where he is the bridge between them.

some of my friends are, though I don't know if any of them are going to have a good time.

one of them who was planning for going for pleasure is now going to have to do Hex related things for most of it, leaving the other two to fend for themselves where he is the bridge between them.

Eh, it's all games, I'm sure they'll be fine.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Playing a board game when everyone is drunk and you are the only one is sober can be frustrating lol. Tough to keep the game moving forward.

Playing a board game when everyone is drunk and you are the only one is sober can be frustrating lol. Tough to keep the game moving forward.

I fondly remember this with incan gold of all games.

"Wait, are zombies bad too?"

That is a good sign to adjust the next game.

KiKaL

I live in Indy and work just 3 blocks from the convention center but won't be attending : /. I'd like to, but just can't justify the cost since I am still new to boardgames.

I live in Indy and work just 3 blocks from the convention center but won't be attending : /. I'd like to, but just can't justify the cost since I am still new to boardgames.

You should go at least one day man, it's worth it for the people watching alone. But really, you can walk around and see a lot of cool shit without buying a pass too. There is a lot of shit going on all around downtown this weekend.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm trying to convince myself to buy a badge. I was super excited, but now that my brother isn't coming into town and my friend is only going Friday...

I'm in Avon, so only about 20ish minutes west of the city. I want to spend all the money at FFP and buy the new Brimstone stuff. So like, there's that...I also want to demo a bunch of shit. I don't know. :|

I also want to go tonight to the Sun King tapping and Food Truck fun fest.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
FFG announces another probably-good game, Android: New Angeles (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/3/new-angeles/). Looks like a 4-6p negotiation game, so not really my bag (hate negotiation and most bidding games as I feel they pretty much require everyone to be on almost identical experience levels to not be completely broken, which just doesn't work for me (see my earlier post re playing with 18 different people in the past 30 days).

As an avid Netrunner player back in the day though, I recognize pretty much all the art from the LCG. And maybe I'm just too all-in on FFG (ironically), but man while the art they reuse generally is amazing art (Netrunner has some of the best of all time in gaming imo) it just feels tacky as hell to me seeing the same art again in two, three, sometimes even four games. It must be annoying for the artists too as I doubt they get paid again for their art being reused (could be wrong, but I doubt it). I'd greatly prefer they find pieces they like and just get the same artists to do different interpretations. Seeing a very detailed piece of art represent totally different things across games just feels corny as hell for such a leader in the industry.

But I'm sure this is a pretty idiosyncratic thing and most people don't notice or care. :/ Big reason I decided against Mansions of Madness is I've seen that art so many times already. Looks like Arkham LCG is new though, which does have me excited.

Phthisis

FFG announces another probably-good game, Android: New Angeles (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/3/new-angeles/). Looks like a 4-6p negotiation game, so not really my bag (hate negotiation and most bidding games as I feel they pretty much require everyone to be on almost identical experience levels to not be completely broken, which just doesn't work for me (see my earlier post re playing with 18 different people in the past 30 days).

As an avid Netrunner player back in the day though, I recognize pretty much all the art from the LCG. And maybe I'm just too all-in on FFG (ironically), but man while the art they reuse generally is amazing art (Netrunner has some of the best of all time in gaming imo) it just feels tacky as hell to me seeing the same art again in two, three, sometimes even four games. It must be annoying for the artists too as I doubt they get paid again for their art being reused (could be wrong, but I doubt it). I'd greatly prefer they find pieces they like and just get the same artists to do different interpretations. Seeing a very detailed piece of art represent totally different things across games just feels corny as hell for such a leader in the industry.

But I'm sure this is a pretty idiosyncratic thing and most people don't notice or care. :/ Big reason I decided against Mansions of Madness is I've seen that art so many times already. Looks like Arkham LCG is new though, which does have me excited.

Day zero. Semi-co-op negotiaton game with a hidden traitor element? Fuck yeah.

Phthisis

Sounds like an interesting theme but you just did a rundown of all my least favorite mechanisms.

*shrug* Sounds like the game isn't for you then?

The best part of the table top rabbit hole is the diversity of games for various players. For example, I am currently learning the OCS system, which is widely considered to be one of the most complex (at least logistically) game systems in war gaming (which itself is widely regarded as a complex subset of board gaming). I think there might be one other person in this thread who would have any sort of interest in it or its games, but having the ability to talk about the latest GMT or MMP release with those people in this thread is why I keep it subscribed.

psyfi

Banned
Hey folks, this is my first time posting in this thread. :)

I babysat this rad nine year old all last summer, and one of our favorite things to do together was design boardgames. We worked together to sketch out some basic ideas, theme, aesthetic, etc. and then they'd start doing concept art and potential board design while I hammered out the rules. We made a few games together, and some of them are a total mess, but some have some legit cool ideas.

I've had a lot of time on my hands this summer, so I dug up our old notes (the kiddo kept the games themselves) and started refining the mechanics, and uhh it turns out I really enjoy game design.

I honestly haven't played a whole lot of board games. I've played them maybe thirty times over the past ten years, mostly really popular stuff like Catan, Forbidden Island, Pandemic, Munchkin, and Cards Against Humanity (if that counts). I've been trying to go to more game nights recently (Portland has a ton of them), and I'm realizing that I enjoy designing games as much if not more than playing them. Is that weird? It's not that I don't like playing them, it's just that designing is really fun, too.

Any other folks make games here, even just for fun? Does this thread allow discussion of making games, or is there another thread for that?

Taborcarn

*shrug* Sounds like the game isn't for you then?

The best part of the table top rabbit hole is the diversity of games for various players. For example, I am currently learning the OCS system, which is widely considered to be one of the most complex (at least logistically) game systems in war gaming (which itself is widely regarded as a complex subset of board gaming). I think there might be one other person in this thread who would have any sort of interest in it or its games, but having the ability to talk about the latest GMT or MMP release with those people in this thread is why I keep it subscribed.

Yeah I didn't meant it as a slight or anything. I was just implying exactly that, that it's not for me. I'm open to giving most things a shot at least once but each of those selling points are ones I'd rather not give more shots.

I babysat this rad nine year old all last summer, and one of our favorite things to do together was design boardgames. We worked together to sketch out some basic ideas, theme, aesthetic, etc. and then they'd start doing concept art and potential board design while I hammered out the rules. We made a few games together, and some of them are a total mess, but some have some legit cool ideas.

I've had a lot of time on my hands this summer, so I dug up our old notes (the kiddo kept the games themselves) and started refining the mechanics, and uhh it turns out I really enjoy game design.

I honestly haven't played a whole lot of board games. I've played them maybe thirty times over the past ten years, mostly really popular stuff like Catan, Forbidden Island, Pandemic, Munchkin, and Cards Against Humanity (if that counts). I've been trying to go to more game nights recently (Portland has a ton of them), and I'm realizing that I enjoy designing games as much if not more than playing them. Is that weird? It's not that I don't like playing them, it's just that designing is really fun, too. Oh, welcome to Board Game thread.

Any other folks make games here, even just for fun? Does this thread allow discussion of making games, or is there another thread for that?

If you are in Portland Oregon, I go to Guardian Games a lot and occasionally the Portland Games store so and I always up for playtesting. There are a lot of MeetUp here in Oregon and no I don't find it weird that you enjoy designing game may be more than playing them, you are probably more for the mechanics of gaming. I mainly play game for fun and while I can appreciate good mechanics and designs I don't heavely dwell on them. I think a lot of board gamers want to make their own games or dream about having their own designs.

I perfectly see where you are coming from and when I was heavily into Star Wars X-wings and then the LCG it was sort of weird to see artwork appear again and again. The same go with Arkham Files game, That said, I can't really fault them for doing it, they do commission a lot of nice arts and many of them would be gone into obscurity and never be seen if they don't reuse them. I would have miss many of the nice arts from Star Wars since I have stop buying the LCG and X-wings so it was nice that some of them reappear in the box game like Imperial Assault and Rebellion. I saw many people complain about Warhammer Quest Card game art that are mainly recycle form Invasion, but since I never got into Inversion it was all new to me. I think if they strike good balance between new arts, mix in with the old classic one then it won't bother me too much. The recent Elder Sign expansion have a lot of new artwork while some were recycle from their previous games there are a lot of new pieces by Henning Ludvigsen (my favorite FFG artist).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I perfectly see where you are coming from and when I was heavily into Star Wars X-wings and then the LCG it was sort of weird to see artwork appear again and again. The same go with Arkham Files game, That said, I can't really fault them for doing it, they do commission a lot of nice arts and many of them would be gone into obscurity and never be seen if they don't reuse them. I would have miss many of the nice arts from Star Wars since I have stop buying the LCG and X-wings so it was nice that some of them reappear in the box game like Imperial Assault and Rebellion. I saw many people complain about Warhammer Quest Card game art that are mainly recycle form Invasion, but since I never got into Inversion it was all new to me. I think if they strike good balance between new arts, mix in with the old classic one then it won't bother me too much. The recent Elder Sign expansion have a lot of new artwork while some were recycle from their previous games there are a lot of new pieces by Henning Ludvigsen (my favorite FFG artist).
Yeah, Omens of Ice has AMAZING art (too bad it's not as good as Gates of Arkham as a game ;p).

psyfi

Banned
If you are in Portland Oregon, I go to Guardian Games a lot and occasionally the Portland Games store so and I always up for playtesting. There are a lot of MeetUp here in Oregon and no I don't find it weird that you enjoy designing game may be more than playing them, you are probably more for the mechanics of gaming. I mainly play game for fun and while I can appreciate good mechanics and designs I don't heavely dwell in them. I think a lot of board gamers want to make their own games or dream about having their own designs.
Cool, we've probably been in the same room at some point, haha. I've gone to the Guardian Games meet ups and the ones at My Father's Place, as well as a bunch of private one's at friends' houses.

Karkador

Banned

Definitely looks like a game in the over-designed tradition of FFG. This is part of the reason why you have such tangled, obtuse rulebooks, FFG! If nothing else, the biggest pain about playing a typical FFG game is how long it takes to setup.

Definitely looks like a game in the over-designed tradition of FFG. This is part of the reason why you have such tangled, obtuse rulebooks, FFG! If nothing else, the biggest pain about playing a typical FFG game is how long it takes to setup.
Their Star Wars roleplay is fantastic though. As is X-Wing and Armada, but I may be biased.

I do love me some Dark Heresy too.

Vard

And maybe I'm just too all-in on FFG (ironically), but man while the art they reuse generally is amazing a I'd greatly prefer they find pieces they like and just get the same artists to do different interpretations. Seeing a very detailed piece of art represent totally different things across games just feels corny as hell for such a leader in the industry.

Yea, reused art across different games just seems very lazy. That would bug me too. You'd think the least they can do to properly support a game as the publisher is pay up to have some new art created.

Karkador

Banned

I honestly haven't played a whole lot of board games. I've played them maybe thirty times over the past ten years, mostly really popular stuff like Catan, Forbidden Island, Pandemic, Munchkin, and Cards Against Humanity (if that counts). I've been trying to go to more game nights recently (Portland has a ton of them), and I'm realizing that I enjoy designing games as much if not more than playing them. Is that weird? It's not that I don't like playing them, it's just that designing is really fun, too.

Welcome!

I also get a lot of ideas for designing games, but I don't think I'm educated on the subject enough to really come up with good, original ideas.

However, I also think a lot about art and graphic/material design for games, and I wish I had game designer friends in need of an art department. I sometimes get wrapped up in redesigning existing games, more so than playing games.

A game design thread or challenge/competition on GAF would be cool, but I wonder how popular it would be here.

joelseph

Springhill is so money. Free wifi, free breakfast, pull out sofa, fridge and microwave

Well damn, saw a pic of the doors at 8am and the crowd is massive. This is going to be sticky. Headed to the doors now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So just after I talk about how Shut Up & Sit Down has a kind of meh podcast they put out a great episode. Shockingly I most enjoyed the Knizia interview at the end. The dude is super full of himself but has a lot of interesting insights. I was just playing Blue Moon City this week and it's impressive how much most of his early games have stood the test of time. No other designer even comes close, though I guess Richard Garfield is a very solid second. And I'm not even big into abstracts or pure Euros but stuff like Lost Cities, Battle Line, Tigris & Euphrates is just undeniably quality.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Have SUSD come around on Knizia after initially making fun of him and calling his stuff too dry?

They gush about Ra throughout the episode (review is video though), and basically at the end note that they made a mistake when they started out in the hobby of playing his newer stuff, because it's really his old stuff that's amazing.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So to those at Gen Con or following things...

What is the big "must have/must purchase within the first hour or it will be gone" game this year?

Karkador

Banned
They gush about Ra throughout the episode (review is video though), and basically at the end note that they made a mistake when they started out in the hobby of playing his newer stuff, because it's really his old stuff that's amazing.

Ra is an excellent game, among one of the 15-20 very solid games he has designed (to be fair, he's designed a lot more than that, and they're not all hits). I'm glad they came around; hopefully more gamers give stuff like that a fair shake, because those games are still interesting 20 years later for a reason.

It's pretty weird to see FFG publishing his games, though. The Knizia style is an odd fit with what we were just saying about FFG's style of complicating everything.

I need another game like Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective in my life. No cards, no boards or tokens. Just a good crime and some clues to help you solve it.

EYEL1NER

I need another game like Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective in my life. No cards, no boards or tokens. Just a good crime and some clues to help you solve it.
Mythos Tales is an option. When the Kickstarter for it went live, I saw it described as "Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective mixed with Lovecraftian horror." Even on the Kickstarter page they feature reviews from BGG users describing it as a "superb melding of HPL and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective" and an "excellent adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective framework to the Cthulhu Mythos." The game was supposed to be on its way to the publishers by the end of July, so it should be popping up in stores within the next couple months.

Mythos Tales is an option. When the Kickstarter for it went live, I saw it described as "Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective mixed with Lovecraftian horror." Even on the Kickstarter page they feature reviews from BGG users describing it as a "superb melding of HPL and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective" and an "excellent adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective framework to the Cthulhu Mythos." The game was supposed to be on its way to the publishers by the end of July, so it should be popping up in stores within the next couple months.

Man that would make my year.

I will definitely look out for this.

joelseph

So to those at Gen Con or following things...

What is the big "must have/must purchase within the first hour or it will be gone" game this year?

Seafall and Harry Potter both were sold out before doors opened to public.

You have to sign up for demos of HP, I have my at 2:30 today

Top Bottom