• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Kitbash

I have no idea what game prices are like in many other parts of the world.
It's brutal here in Australia. As a typical example, I've been eyeing Eldritch Horror for $90 at the local shop. It's only $40 on CSI, but even the slowest shipping option bumps that up to $110.

As a customer paying these crazy prices, I'd be fuming if pieces were missing and someone asked me to pay another $30 to fix the mistake. I'd expect the retailer to sort it out.

Karkador

Banned
It's brutal here in Australia. As a typical example, I've been eyeing Eldritch Horror for $90 at the local shop. It's only $40 on CSI, but even the slowest shipping option bumps that up to $110.

As a customer paying these crazy prices, I'd be fuming if pieces were missing and someone asked me to pay another $30 to fix the mistake. I'd expect the retailer to sort it out.

Yeah the retailer could sort it out by having extra, not-for-sale copies to take parts from, but that also means taking up storage space with extra copies of every game. This is probably a responsibility the retailer defers to the publisher, which just seems to introduce a whole bunch of other problems.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Where do you buy games online if you're Canadian? The links in the OP only ship to the US.

There is a local store near me that sells a lot of stuff but I'm looking toward Freedom: Underground Railroad and Police Precinct as near future buys and with their low prints/hard to get status I'm worried the local store will be unable to get it and it would end up being cheaper to find it online.

Thanks!~

Without having clicked the above, starlit citadel is amazing. They're a pure online/warehouse seller and have consistently the lowest prices I've seen anywhere.

And free shipping on orders >150.- CAD as well as free local pickup at their warehouse in Vancouver if you live nearby. I've bought all my games there, no complaints. They also have youtube reviews on their site and are SUPER nice and fast. Ordered 5 games Sunday, they'll get to me tomorrow. One time they removed a game from stock because nobody was interested in it anymore, so i tweeted them to please put it back. They ordered more copies and put it back a few hours later.

I'm going on weekend trip with a few friends and am looking for some good board game / card game /whatever game recommendations for 7 People. Preferable games that don't require multiple sittings to be fun. ;)

I'm thinking of finally getting myself Battle Star Galactica, read that it is playable and enjoyable with 7 people if you adjust the rules slightly.

Smiley90

I'm going on weekend trip with a few friends and am looking for some good board game / card game /whatever game recommendations for 7 People. Preferable games that don't require multiple sittings to be fun. ;)

I'm thinking of finally getting myself Battle Star Galactica, read that it is playable and enjoyable with 7 people if you adjust the rules slightly.

7 Wonders.

one and done.

Tangeroo

Avalon fits the bill pretty nicely.

Phthisis

Sooo GAF...should i get Battle of Westeros or Battlelore 2nd Ed.?

Same designer, a lot of the same systems. Personally I think BoW is the better game because of the license and the advanced rules for combat (which are completely optional, btw; you can play it as a normal Commands & Colors game, though I find the hit odds on the game's D8 system to be way less forgiving than the D6 system in other C&C titles). Downside is that you need to glue all the figures. But if you like ASoIaF, it recreates a lot of the battles mentioned in the books (specifically in Clash of Kings), some random non-canon battles, and it also has a nice random scenario generator that is slightly similar to the one in Battlelore 2.0 that allows you to do fun What If things, like what if Ned took the field against Tywin? The expansions all add additional mechanics that are house specific and rather thematic (Tully knowledge of the Riverlands helps them find crossings over rivers, their renowned archers are beefed up compared to normal archers, etc.). The Baratheon expansion has the entire Battle of the Blackwater that you can play with up to eight(!) players in two teams of four across three connected micro-scenarios. Haven't done that one yet, but am eager to.

If, however, you like a more straightforward game, Battlelore 2.0 is probably your better bet. I prefer the deeper complexity and strategy in BoW, but they're both fine games.

Karkador

Banned

Avalon or The Resistance (they are essentially the same game). If your friends are not big on board games, this is the perfect introduction, and it's very fun, and PERFECT with 7 people.

Smiley90

I played that once on the toy fare, time to pick it up I guess. :)
Ordered it with one expansion pack and card sleeves. :D

Might check out Avalon too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Avalon and Resistance are both also amazing suggestions, I agree. Avalon > Resistance (because it has some more varied roles), but both work.

Need some advice guys. I'm having a board game get together this weekend and am trying to figure out which games to have out for my guests to play. It's me and two friends who are skilled at advanced games and my wife, who doesn't enjoy rules heavy or mechanic heavy games like Arkham Horror, preferring games more like Love Letter, Smash Up, or Ticket to Ride.

So the games I had lined up already were Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, and Love Letter, with games like Cards Against Humanity and One Night Ultimate Werewolf towards the end of the night. I wanted to pick games that involved being social between all parties, or one party teaming up against another. I was considering Letter from Whitechapel since it's 1 vs. group, but don't know much about it more than that.

Any other suggestions that I am missing or suggestions on how I should structure the night?

Lyng

The last episode of This American Life follows a guy playing Diplomacy at the Diplomacy World Championships. It seems like it's just as back stabbing, friendship-ending as everybody claims. He had help from a professional diplomat and it's well worth a listen.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/531/got-your-back

And the article he wrote about it: http://grantland.com/features/diplomacy-the-board-game-of-the-alpha-nerds/

What a brilliant article!

Apenheul

Need some advice guys. I'm having a board game get together this weekend and am trying to figure out which games to have out for my guests to play. It's me and two friends who are skilled at advanced games and my wife, who doesn't enjoy rules heavy or mechanic heavy games like Arkham Horror, preferring games more like Love Letter, Smash Up, or Ticket to Ride.

So the games I had lined up already were Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, and Love Letter, with games like Cards Against Humanity and One Night Ultimate Werewolf towards the end of the night. I wanted to pick games that involved being social between all parties, or one party teaming up against another. I was considering Letter from Whitechapel since it's 1 vs. group, but don't know much about it more than that.

Any other suggestions that I am missing or suggestions on how I should structure the night?
I personally prefer Bohnanza over Smash Us and Love Letter, maybe Mascarade but I personally only like that game with five or more players. I'm not a big fan of Shadows over Camelot myself but that's also a nice and accessible cooperative (sometimes 1 vs group) game.

Ohnonono

Same designer, a lot of the same systems. Personally I think BoW is the better game because of the license and the advanced rules for combat (which are completely optional, btw; you can play it as a normal Commands & Colors game, though I find the hit odds on the game's D8 system to be way less forgiving than the D6 system in other C&C titles). Downside is that you need to glue all the figures. But if you like ASoIaF, it recreates a lot of the battles mentioned in the books (specifically in Clash of Kings), some random non-canon battles, and it also has a nice random scenario generator that is slightly similar to the one in Battlelore 2.0 that allows you to do fun What If things, like what if Ned took the field against Tywin? The expansions all add additional mechanics that are house specific and rather thematic (Tully knowledge of the Riverlands helps them find crossings over rivers, their renowned archers are beefed up compared to normal archers, etc.). The Baratheon expansion has the entire Battle of the Blackwater that you can play with up to eight(!) players in two teams of four across three connected micro-scenarios. Haven't done that one yet, but am eager to.

If, however, you like a more straightforward game, Battlelore 2.0 is probably your better bet. I prefer the deeper complexity and strategy in BoW, but they're both fine games.

You can't lose with either. Battlelore 2.0 is simpler, BoW feels a bit more epic to me and I like the theme.

Karkador

Banned

Hrmmm. The problem I've had with Letters from Whitechapel is that it's very prone to quarterbacking - which is to say that the more skilled player in the group is going to take over and direct everyone else on what to do. This is boring for the players who are just following orders, and is part of the reason why people say Whitechapel is best as a 2 player game (Jack player vs player controlling all the investigators).

It sounds like this is likely to happen to your group. Has that kind of thing happened with Pandemic?

You could try Hanabi. That's a co-op game which avoids some of that quarterback tendency, because every player NEEDS the participation of others to get anywhere.

Hrmmm. The problem I've had with Letters from Whitechapel is that it's very prone to quarterbacking - which is to say that the more skilled player in the group is going to take over and direct everyone else on what to do. This is boring for the players who are just following orders, and is part of the reason why people say Whitechapel is best as a 2 player game (Jack player vs player controlling all the investigators).

It sounds like this is likely to happen to your group. Has that kind of thing happened with Pandemic?

You could try Hanabi. That's a co-op game which avoids some of that quarterback tendency, because every player NEEDS the participation of others to get anywhere.

It's prone to happen when my wife is still inexperienced with a game, but afterwards, we all always ask for suggestions from each other before taking our turns. No one really takes it that seriously to quarterback and need to win.

I'll check out Hanabi since I like the theme after looking it up.

I'm not a fan of Whitechappel. I prefer Fury of Dracula, but that's out of print and could be hard to find. If you want a hidden movement/hide and go seek style game maybe check out Nuns on the Run. It's a one (or two) Vs. Many game. The majority of the players are the Novices and one player will play both the Prioress and Abbess. In the game the novices are actually hidden and all their movement is done by writing on sheets of paper. The Prioress and Abbess are actual figures on the board and their movement is done in the open. The goal of the game for the novices is to sneak around to collect their secret item and Prioress and Abbess' job is to stop them.

The game is pretty good, way better than Letters, and will prevent the "Quarterbacking" problem in Letters.

Phthisis

If it wasnt for the glue part I would have bought BoW allready. How much of a hazzle is it?

I mean you do it once and then you never have to do it again. There is kind of a zen thing to it for me. The figures are tiny, so it's like a drop of super glue per figure/base. You could get it done in maybe an hour?

Game looks really nice on the table once you get a scenario set up and all the banners are flying high.

BIWkKZECUAASllU.jpg

XShagrath

CSI always tends to send their "back in stock" emails out very late. I always check their site in the morning (for the daily sale) and then again a couple times in the afternoon when they get their shipment in.

When I saw they had it I first called the one game shop in Manhattan, Compleat Strategist. They had nothing and wont have anything for three weeks.
The fickle nature of Board Game releases.

daevv

When I saw they had it I first called the one game shop in Manhattan, Compleat Strategist. They had nothing and wont have anything for three weeks.
The fickle nature of Board Game releases.

I spent a long time in that store not once but twice in a NYC trip last fall. I spent way more money than I should of too. After her 3rd or 4th smoke break outside my wife said "Are you ready to go yet!?" I said "No!"......She's not going to Gen Con with me. :)

I spent a long time in that store not once but twice in a NYC trip last fall. I spent way more money than I should of too. After her 3rd or 4th smoke break outside my wife said "Are you ready to go yet!?" I said "No!"......She's not going to Gen Con with me. :)

I've never gone in there and not spent over 100 dollars.

ultron87

Last night I saw that BattleCON was in stock at CSI. This pretty quickly resulted in me ordering that and Rex: Final Days of an Empire (plus some Russian MTG booster packs to get me over 100). I was supposed to wait till after Gen Con to order stuff!

Karkador

Banned

Lol, yeah...I like spending time in that store, too :c

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
We had some 8 player Resistance for the first time last night. It was non-stop full escalation baseless accusations. No deduction used, or strategy, just all gut feelings in every single game. Greatness.

Had a nice game night, till we played One Night Werewolf finally. Seriously everyone was like wtf and hated this game with a passion. Are we seriously missing something or is the game just completely pointless and totally random? The whole one night aspect removes any type of real bluffing or deduction to the game and it's almost just a game of randomly pointing at people as seeing what blind luck happens.

Can't believe this is so highly rated as a party game, it's so awful.

Neverfade

I think Avalon is certainly better, but I've warmed up to ONW.

To say its all about baseless accusations is definitely off the mark. There's certainly information to be had.

ultron87

What roles were you playing with? There should generally be a reasonable amount of information to force the werewolves into situation where they are lying and can be found out. It isn't ever a sure thing, especially if you're playing with the Tanner or Minion, but I usually find the group can come to a reasonable guess at least and make to come down to bluffing ability.

Any potential info is next to impossible to discern whose telling any truth since with o ly one night the game removes any deduction element. And any element of their being info gathering is tossed out due to randomness fro stuff like robber and troublemaker. Group deduction feels pointless when random card swap changes happen.

Avalon and Resistance we enjoyed, but everyone was so rowdy about this game and its complete random feel. Waste of money since most of the regulars will never play this again.

Smiley90

Any potential info is next to impossible to discern whose telling any truth since with o ly one night the game removes any deduction element. And any element of their being info gathering is tossed out due to randomness fro stuff like robber and troublemaker. Group deduction feels pointless when random card swap changes happen.

Avalon and Resistance we enjoyed, but everyone was so rowdy about this game and its complete random feel. Waste of money since most of the regulars will never play this again.

Random feel? Wut? The games aren't random at all. Unless you don't even try and bother to analyze who voted what and who was on which team before you pick people

Top Bottom