• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Icefire1424

We have a 3-m-o daughter now too. Told my wife no more because five players while fun as a novelty is not something you want to consistently have.

Congrats! And there must have been something in the water around July / August of last year, since I think you're the 4th or 5th person on GAF in recent memory to have a little one arrive in April or May.

...our first daughter was born April 2nd this year...

joelseph

PV’s Playhouse – Hearthstone for Magic Players
By Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa // 23 Jul, 2014

Hello!

My article today is going to be a little different—it’s about Hearthstone. For those who don’t know, Hearthstone is Blizzard’s card game, set in World of Warcraft. It’s simpler than Magic, but it has a lot of overlap in terms of how it’s played and what skills are necessary to win—many of the famous Hearthstone players have played competitive Magic at some point. It’s also quite fun and, from my experience, way more complex than people give it credit for; it turns out there is a lot of room for a game to be simpler than Magic and still not be simple at all.

I picked Hearthstone up last month, after knowing nothing about it. Today, I would consider myself competent, because I already intrinsically understand most of the concepts in the game. I reached the Legendary ranking the first month I started playing (which is the best out of 25 rankings you can have, but not super hard to get to), and reached Legendary again this month. At the time of writing this, I’m ranked 15th in the North American server. (Edit: At the time of finishing writing this, I’m ranked 144th...)

That said, there are a lot of things that are not like Magic—and a lot that are, but not in the way that you would expect them to be. I had to go through a process where I had to assess which Magic concepts translated into what in Hearthstone, and which did not translate into anything at all, so that I could actually use the knowledge that I already have.

The goal of this article, therefore, is to explain Hearthstone in Magic terms. The target demographic are those who already play Magic and want to either start playing Hearthstone, and the people who already play Hearthstone and want to get better. I realize this is not going to appeal to every ChannelFireball reader, but that’s true of basically every subject, and I think it’s worth a try for the people who are interested in it, especially at a time where I can’t reasonably write about Standard because of the PT.

I will start with the basic rules, so that people who have never played Hearthstone before can follow the article if they are interested. If you have already played it, you can skip this part.

I thought I would take a look at Marvel Dice Masters now that the release hype has died down a bit and I still can't find a set for MSRP ($14.99). That's ridiculous.

I thought I would take a look at Marvel Dice Masters now that the release hype has died down a bit and I still can't find a set for MSRP ($14.99). That's ridiculous.
Check gohastings.com. I've had luck with boosters there and they just recently had the starter in stock. Hastings is owned by NECA who owns WizKids, so it's a good chance they will get stock in first.

Apenheul

I was really into Marvel Dice Masters but the booster-pack shortages really hurt my enthusiasm for the game. It wouldn't surprise me if I won't play the game anymore by the time booster-packs are readily available here.

Experien

Check gohastings.com. I've had luck with boosters there and they just recently had the starter in stock. Hastings is owned by NECA who owns WizKids, so it's a good chance they will get stock in first.

Wow, they do have it...but I am still so burnt out from how this has played out that I'm not even sure I want to play anymore.

Draxal

Wow, they do have it...but I am still so burnt out from how this has played out that I'm not even sure I want to play anymore.

The Lgs around this area are really bitter of how Wizkidz/Neca handled this situation with Hastings getting all the stock.

The Lgs around this area are really bitter of how Wizkidz/Neca handled this situation with Hastings getting all the stock.

From what I hear Wizkids didn't have a choice and weren't super happy about it. I do think it's pretty fair to expect some growing pains from a first time collectible game that has way more demand than expected. God knows I've been way more patient with certain kickstarter campaigns.

Shipping is garbage from them though. I'm still waiting to get it cheap once available. The game itself is nothing special, biggest issue with it to me is that the theme is completely tacked on. There is often nothing in the dice/cards that relates to the actual characters rulewise. They could slap any random hero on many of the cards and it would make no difference since the theme is so light. Unlike games like Legendary and Heroclix, where abilities and card effects often do make sense fluff wise to gameplay. Only a few card/dice combos have any theme.

Experien

Shipping is garbage from them though. I'm still waiting to get it cheap once available. The game itself is nothing special, biggest issue with it to me is that the theme is completely tacked on. There is often nothing in the dice/cards that relates to the actual characters rulewise. They could slap any random hero on many of the cards and it would make no difference since the theme is so light. Unlike games like Legendary and Heroclix, where abilities and card effects often do make sense fluff wise to gameplay. Only a few card/dice combos have any theme.

Well then...maybe I should pack it in and give away the 3 or 4 boosters I picked up.

Well then...maybe I should pack it in and give away the 3 or 4 boosters I picked up.

Its a fun little game, I just would not spend a ton of money on it. Once its easy to get at local places and online for no msrp, I'll be buying into it myself. I just don't think it's worth the price/hype brought on by the shortages.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I nabbed a started with 10 boosters.

I will admit my enthusiasm is way way down from what it was when the game came out. I'm sure WizKids is kicking themselves as this had a ton of momentum.

I also hate the idea that the theme will get mixed and matched.

I'll likely try to find a FLGS that runs events and go to them. Always sort of wanted to get in on a CCG. I guess the Uncommons is hosting a monthly tournament on a Saturday, but I won't have my starter set in time for week 1.

Experien

Don't do anything brash because of a single opinion. The game has great user reviews for the most part.

It isn't a single opinion, I've heard similar thoughts. But those/that opinion plus how ridiculous it is to get the game that was released back in May is just a huge turn off. I already don't like NECA, this is just adding more fuel to my fire.

Draxal

From what I hear Wizkids didn't have a choice and weren't super happy about it. I do think it's pretty fair to expect some growing pains from a first time collectible game that has way more demand than expected. God knows I've been way more patient with certain kickstarter campaigns.

I believe its a NECA issue, but they are burning good will with the lgs. And while I won't give anybody garbage for ordering online, I do try to support the lgs as much as possible.
And I don't think the kickstarter situation is really applicable here, NECA/Wizkids have been in the business forever.

I believe its a NECA issue, but they are burning good will with the lgs. And while I won't give anybody garbage for ordering online, I do try to support the lgs as much as possible.
And I don't think the kickstarter situation is really applicable here, NECA/Wizkids have been in the business forever.

It's still the scale of things that has to be taken into account. Wizkids are now the largest manufacturer of dice in the world. I think the biggest problem comes down to the crazy pre-order system that drives everything because of requiring distributors. I know I take for granted pre-orders mostly because I don't like the idea of putting money down ahead of time for something and I've mostly been able to get things I want without doing it. I can't tell you how many times our local board game store owner says to someone who's looking for a hot new boardgame or whatever: "I didn't order any because nobody pre-ordered any." I know its very different but CDs don't sell real well anymore either, but imagine going into a record store on Tuesday and them not having any copies of a new Pop star album...

Doombear

Yeah I think it is really unfortunate. They have to be pretty bummed. I find the game a lot of fun, really easy to just set up and play a few games of in minutes with my daughter. She has no problem kicking my ass with just her starter set too. I think I get too excited to play some of my booster cards and overthink things =P

Either way though, it will be nice when these aren't so hard to get. I know she wants to buy boosters too. I am really excited about the D&D version, as well as the Uncanny version. I truly hope they have things sorted with distribution for those. The game is just fun, easy, and changes quite a bit from game to game, and that is just me playing the same person over and over again.

Apenheul

The thing is, the starter pack is only really an appetizer; you can't play a full 8 character game with it and there aren't enough dice per character. After 8 plays I had pretty much seen what the game had to offer, wanted more, and then came the search for boosters. Two starter packs would give you enough dice but a lot of duplicate cards, so there isn't much in the way of 'deckbuilding' yet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'll likely try to find a FLGS that runs events and go to them. Always sort of wanted to get in on a CCG. I guess the Uncommons is hosting a monthly tournament on a Saturday, but I won't have my starter set in time for week 1.
Shoulda gone with Netrunner. :D

(I know it's not technically a CCG but it's basically the same with the deckbuilding, tournament structure, regular updates, etc.)

Draxal

Shoulda gone with Netrunner. :D

(I know it's not technically a CCG but it's basically the same with the deckbuilding, tournament structure, regular updates, etc.)

Magic for limited, Netrunner for constructed imho.

Just in case anybody is unfamiliar with those two terms

Limited = Draft (players open booster packs take a card, then pass the rest of the pack to the next player) and Sealed (players opens starter or booster pack and uses that to build their deck

Constructed = Decks built normally with the card pool.

I'm praying Doomtown Reloaded takes off personally. (don't think it will come close to Netrunner appeal though).

It's still the scale of things that has to be taken into account. Wizkids are now the largest manufacturer of dice in the world. I think the biggest problem comes down to the crazy pre-order system that drives everything because of requiring distributors. I know I take for granted pre-orders mostly because I don't like the idea of putting money down ahead of time for something and I've mostly been able to get things I want without doing it. I can't tell you how many times our local board game store owner says to someone who's looking for a hot new boardgame or whatever: "I didn't order any because nobody pre-ordered any." I know its very different but CDs don't sell real well anymore either, but imagine going into a record store on Tuesday and them not having any copies of a new Pop star album...

Marvel dice was sold out at distribution months ahead of release, they knew they had a hit so far in advance that needed replenishment, and they still failed to meet demand. Instead they move forward with production of other products. Even with months of knowing they couldn't meet demand, and announcing more dice games that are in queue of productions instead of holding them back to produce what people want. Don't announce stuff people don't know about if it's going to interfere with people being able to play your game. They killed their launch window, and for someone whose supposed to be the biggest dice manufacturer, they don't show it if they can't simply juggle a production schedule.

They are killing their own hype train now, and at a time when an influx of new games are going to be hitting and announced.

Marvel dice was sold out at distribution months ahead of release, they knew they had a hit so far in advance that needed replenishment, and they still failed to meet demand. Instead they move forward with production of other products. Even with months of knowing they couldn't meet demand, and announcing more dice games that are in queue of productions instead of holding them back to produce what people want. Don't announce stuff people don't know about if it's going to interfere with people being able to play your game. They killed their launch window, and for someone whose supposed to be the biggest dice manufacturer, they don't show it if they can't simply juggle a production schedule.

They are killing their own hype train now, and at a time when an influx of new games are going to be hitting and announced.

Sources have said that they produced 10X over what their distributor pre-orders were, which is already pretty absurd and the demand ended up being 40x that number. People started pre-ordering en masse after GAMA trade show which wasn't that long before release date. I don't know how you are supposed to produce that much product on an untested, new game without going out of business if you're wrong. The biggest problem was not having a huge marketing push before Toyfair or GAMA.

Experien

Sources have said that they produced 10X over what their distributor pre-orders were, which is already pretty absurd and the demand ended up being 40x that number. People started pre-ordering en masse after GAMA trade show which wasn't that long before release date. I don't know how you are supposed to produce that much product on an untested, new game without going out of business if you're wrong. The biggest problem was not having a huge marketing push before Toyfair or GAMA.

I have trouble believing that when they even said they didn't order enough (rumor that their previous Hobbit game did awful so they didn't order as much of this?) before it was released.

I have trouble believing that when they even said they didn't order enough (rumor that their previous Hobbit game did awful so they didn't order as much of this?) before it was released.

You can believe it or not, but I'm pretty confident that's exactly how it went down as the story I heard matches almost exactly what Eric Martin was told at BGG. There's also a big difference between the hobbit movie licence and the marvel license in terms of popularity. The issue again is that almost all of the preorders came after GAMA after the game had already gone to press. WK knew they were going to need a reprint almost right away and ordered it as well as diverting all of the product from origins to go to LGSs. I really don't know what else you're supposed to do at that point.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Limited = Draft (players open booster packs take a card, then pass the rest of the pack to the next player) and Sealed (players opens starter or booster pack and uses that to build their deck

I'm praying Doomtown Reloaded takes off personally. (don't think it will come close to Netrunner appeal though).

Yes definitely. Despite FFG attempts I don't think LCG format lends itself very well to draft. I played in one using the real cards and it was OK, but I was mostly annoyed and not being able to use my own decks. (That said I'm wedded to my decks almost to a fault. Been running ETF big servers since literally the game came out.)

Doomtown seems cool but heck Star Wars LCG is great too. Just don't have the time to play more than one LCG. Then again we have a ridiculously devoted group of Netrunner players here at work. Get together 2-5 times/week.

It's bs, no one would produce 10x over the preordered distro numbers just because. Spoke with my local distro rep during release and they didn't get barely any extra than what they ordered, where did all that extra product go? Retailers sure as heck didn't get them having been sold out at preorder months ahead as well.

Dead of Winter is supposed to arrive for preorders in two weeks! Yay!

https://twitter.com/PlaidHatGames/status/492635554899836928

Was hoping I'd be able to get it before Gen Con.
I've got our yearly gaming weekend with friends from out of town in three weeks. Plus, I'm from Canada and the ETA is three weeks. It's gonna be close, but it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't show up.

Waiting on Myth as well. I'd be shocked if both arrive in time.

It's bs, no one would produce 10x over the preordered distro numbers just because. Spoke with my local distro rep during release and they didn't get barely any extra than what they ordered, where did all that extra product go? Retailers sure as heck didn't get them having been sold out at preorder months ahead as well.

A lot of it went to target, and that's another issue for sure.

Jeez, all of this Netrunner talk. Is it really that good?
I'm a pretty big Magic fan, one that perhaps stupidly spends a lot of money on cards (not drafting). The LCG aspect interests me, quite a bit, actually.
Let's say I do get into it, where do I start? Do I need to hunt down those expansion boosters?
Is it easy to have multiple decks for friends to play when they come over?
How long is a game? Is it just one game or best out of three? Is there a sideboard like Magic? Thanks

The target part was the big screwup. They had plenty of starters while my LGS got allocated one. There was no reason for my LGS to promote the game.

Agreed 100 percent but they wanted that mtg and pokemon money...and despite pissing some people off, they're probably still doing ok.

Pau

I'm a pretty big Magic fan, one that perhaps stupidly spends a lot of money on cards (not drafting). The LCG aspect interests me, quite a bit, actually.
Let's say I do get into it, where do I start? Do I need to hunt down those expansion boosters?
How long is a game? Is it just one game or best out of three? Is there a sideboard like Magic? Thanks
Just get the starter box and see how you like it. It comes with cards for each of the factions on either side, so you can get a good idea of every faction's play style. And it's enough for two people to play. There are some neutral cards that you'll wanna put into any deck, so it's not enough to have two games going at the same time. The expansion decks are really only necessary if you're going to be playing competitively.

I don't remember how long a game would take me. I wanna say about 30 minutes? Not too long. The game is asymmetrical. One person is going to be playing as a runner (hacker) and the other person is going to be playing as the corporation. A tournament match will usually consist of two games in which you play both a runner and a corporation.

I've never played Magic, so I have no idea what a sideboard is, sorry!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

There's a whole thread dedicated to it. :D

It looks like reddit has a pretty good guide on getting into the game: http://www.reddit.com/r/Netrunner/wiki/buyingguide

It honestly plays quite well (and is well balanced) out of the box. So even if you buy just the base you have a complete game you can play with someone, try out the mechanics, and even do some light deckbuilding.

In a tournament setting you generally play both sides -- Runner and Corp. They're very different (completely different cards, different ways to get to the win condition, different actions, etc.) so it balances things out. The win rates for Corp vs. Runner are actually generally pretty even though. Each game takes about 15-35m.

Edit: whoops, repeated some things from the above post. :)

Apenheul

This weekend is up to a good start, we played Mascarade (which is quite fun with 5 or more people), Marvel Dice Masters (introducing it to a friend), X Wing (to try out the E-Wing and TIE Phantom), Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (with 4 players), and Gears of War the Board Game (Horde Mode, 2 players).

I told myself not to buy any more games this month but I ordered the remaining Pathfinder ACG adventure decks, a TIE Defender, Z-95 Headhunter and Slave 1. and the print-on-demand Mission Pack for Gears of War the Board Game. Next month I'll catch up with Android Netrunner data packs and probably get Galaxy Defenders.

TIE Defender, Z-95 Headhunter and Slave 1.

Ahh, you're gonna have fun with them, the Defender is a beast although it took me a game or two to get used to him and Headhunter is a real useful alpha strike craft. As for Slave 1, I think I've had that ship in about 50% of my lists since I brought him, he is a hell of an enjoyable and verstile ship. The only pity is I don't really rate any of his named pilots which is a shame because one of them is Boba Fett (well, Krassis is okay but I've had limited success with secondary weapons in the Slave thusfar).

On an X-wing note, played some Star Trek Attack Wing last night and I rather enjoyed it. Although the final few turns were perhaps a little unfair because I was the more maneuverable Enterprise while he was a massive slow ass battlecruiser which would have worked me if I had ever let it get line of sight on me but with his movement dial he just couldn't.

Update:

Pandemic is the best thing ever - we've played about ten games together already and we're at only a 33% win-rate but we're still fresh noobs. Forcing ourselves to hold off on buying the expansions even though we really want them/need them until we squeeze more value out of the base game. It's painful - I see you, On The Brink.

We also did our first game of Lord of the Ring: LCG last, took us about an hour and a half of learning only to complete about 9 turns before our little girl woke up and broke up the party at 9:45 so we just conceded, and are going to play again tonight.

Why did I wait so long to get into board games? This is totally awesome.

Also creating a "master list" of games to get down the line. That list is already large.

This weekend is up to a good start, we played Mascarade (which is quite fun with 5 or more people), Marvel Dice Masters (introducing it to a friend), X Wing (to try out the E-Wing and TIE Phantom), Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (with 4 players), and Gears of War the Board Game (Horde Mode, 2 players).

I told myself not to buy any more games this month but I ordered the remaining Pathfinder ACG adventure decks, a TIE Defender, Z-95 Headhunter and Slave 1. and the print-on-demand Mission Pack for Gears of War the Board Game. Next month I'll catch up with Android Netrunner data packs and probably get Galaxy Defenders.

We got suck in big time with X-Wing Miniatures. My son and I played it when it was first introduced and have a lot of fun but the game do require more than just a starter so we haven't play it much until now when I saw the TIE Defender which bring back memory of X-Wings VS TIE Fighters. We just got the TIE Defender, TIE Interceptor, Slave 1 the Falcon and I have Tantive IV along with E and Z-95 coming.

So far I find the Empire to be a bit weaker and the Rebel usually win due to having shield and able to withstand more attack. I don't know if I am just bad at Empire playing.

hMlDMzql.jpg

So the above game was a rematch (after loosing 2 games to my son), and I thought this time I have him. Vader was chasing Luke and had him on his six and I thought the TIE was going to keep Han's Falcon busy but I didn't realize they can do that sharp bank and then blown away Vader. (Just like in A New Hope).

joelseph

Do you play Modern constructed? It's the best constructed format IMO.

Var

I actually enjoy Netrunner more than Magic. I just can't ever seem to find anyone to play it with.... :-(

Draxal

To add what the two other posters said, Netrunner is all about bluffing compared to any other game. If you love bluffing this is the game for you.

The one faction (the corp) plays all their cards face down and the other faction (the runner) makes runs (attacks these row of cards).

There are some recommended expansion boosters for each of the factions, but the base set gives more than enough.

Do you play Modern constructed? It's the best constructed format IMO.

Magic constructed is just too pricy in any format imho. I don't mind spending money for a draft, but too field many options in constructed (even in more limited formats like modern and standard) is too much.

I broke out the Space Hulk card game, no expansions this time, for some solo action last night while my wife and I watched some trash TV (Alaskan Bush People, holy shit that show..). I forget how brutal that game can be. Swift and complete devastation lurks at every turn or roll of the dice. I went relatively unscathed until the 3rd deck, then all hell broke loose and wiped out all but 2 of my marines. Upon entering the last deck of the Space Hulk, the odds were insurmountable.

I'm always impressed when I play this game. Fantasy Flight absolutely nailed the atmosphere, difficulty, and flow of the board game in such a unique way. The artwork is great and the variety never ends. You will never play the same game twice.

I've been playing a lot of Blokus lately. I have been under appreciating this game for years as a fairly casual filler. Basically anyone can play it within about two minutes of grabbing the box

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I broke out the Space Hulk card game, no expansions this time, for some solo action last night while my wife and I watched some trash TV (Alaskan Bush People, holy shit that show..). I forget how brutal that game can be. Swift and complete devastation lurks at every turn or roll of the dice. I went relatively unscathed until the 3rd deck, then all hell broke loose and wiped out all but 2 of my marines. Upon entering the last deck of the Space Hulk, the odds were insurmountable.

I'm always impressed when I play this game. Fantasy Flight absolutely nailed the atmosphere, difficulty, and flow of the board game in such a unique way. The artwork is great and the variety never ends. You will never play the same game twice.
I've owned this game for a while but haven't had a chance to learn it yet -- heard the manual is pretty bad at describing the game so I'll have to check out some videos because I've only heard good things.

Top Bottom