• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
CSI always does that with hot games. I don't begrudge them at all for it though. If they didn't the profits would just be captured by scalpers anyway. And for anything but the hottest of the hot and rare games CSI is great. dsfdf I could see how it would rub some the wrong way but that's always how they've operated and it doesn't bug me at all; I'm almost happy to see them make bones because I know their margins are pretty tight on board games otherwise afaict.

Apenheul

I now have a pretty decent Rebels squad for the X Wing store championship this weekend, it has yet to loose a game. I'm still trying to come up with an Imperial squad that can beat it though, closest I've managed is a squad based around the TIE Phantom's ability to appear right behind ships and a TIE Bomber to do serious damage. However, I'm not going to try a swarm, that's just boring.

After this X Wing championship is over with I'll switch my focus back to Netrunner for a bit again.

I think I'm officially a board game junkie, wife and I went out and bought Pandemic: On The Brink today and actually won our first game with the Virulent Strain. Absolutely love this as my introduction game to the real board game realm. So thank you, NeoGAF board gamers for that suggestion.

This is after beating two of the campaigns of Lord of the Rings: LCG core set thrown in between many, many games of Pandemic.

Already got my eye on Robinson Crusoe, Freedom: Underground Railroad, Yggdrasil, Mice and Mystics, Shadows Over Camelot, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Defenders of the Realm, Lord of the Rings LCG expansions, Atlantis Rising, Castle Panic (and Wizard's Tower), Ghost Stories, Forbidden Desert and probably more, that's just my Amazon 'reminder list'.

Going to obviously save the beasts like Yggdrasil until later in my board gaming life due to it's difficulty but it's safe to say I'll be on this thread more and more as time goes on and I need more input on.

(This is only the co-op stuff, I know the wife and I will branch out to some other games eventually too!)

Edit: Oh and if anyone wants to throw other co-op games my way I haven't hit on this list (lol) feel free, I think we are addicted to this new hobby.

I now have a pretty decent Rebels squad for the X Wing store championship this weekend, it has yet to loose a game. I'm still trying to come up with an Imperial squad that can beat it though, closest I've managed is a squad based around the TIE Phantom's ability to appear right behind ships and a TIE Bomber to do serious damage. However, I'm not going to try a swarm, that's just boring.

After this X Wing championship is over with I'll switch my focus back to Netrunner for a bit again.

Slave 1 is full of many ways to pwn. The lack of durability is one of the annoying aspects of Imperial side, hence the need for swarms otherwise lot of Rebel ships can one shot many imperial fighters, while it typically takes a couple rounds of fire to take out a rebel equivalent. Larger ship like the Slave 1 adds a big target that can take and dish out some good punishment. I love interceptors personally, the boost action is such a bonus.

(This is only the co-op stuff, I know the wife and I will branch out to some other games eventually too!)

Edit: Oh and if anyone wants to throw other co-op games my way I haven't hit on this list (lol) feel free, I think we are addicted to this new hobby.

My girlfriend and I picked up Jaipur recently and we've had a blast playing it. It's a 2-Player only game. Very easy to pick up and play.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Brought Coup to work

we played at lunch

... then took another 30min break later because nobody was getting work done while trying to think about playing more

SUCCESS

Apenheul

I think I'm officially a board game junkie, wife and I went out and bought Pandemic: On The Brink today and actually won our first game with the Virulent Strain. Absolutely love this as my introduction game to the real board game realm. So thank you, NeoGAF board gamers for that suggestion.

This is after beating two of the campaigns of Lord of the Rings: LCG core set thrown in between many, many games of Pandemic.

Already got my eye on Robinson Crusoe, Freedom: Underground Railroad, Yggdrasil, Mice and Mystics, Shadows Over Camelot, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Defenders of the Realm, Lord of the Rings LCG expansions, Atlantis Rising, Castle Panic (and Wizard's Tower), Ghost Stories, Forbidden Desert and probably more, that's just my Amazon 'reminder list'.

Going to obviously save the beasts like Yggdrasil until later in my board gaming life due to it's difficulty but it's safe to say I'll be on this thread more and more as time goes on and I need more input on.

Welcome to the club :)

Robinson Crusoe is awesome, one of the most thematic games I own where mechanics just make sense. It can be a bit hard to learn since there are a lot of 'circumstantial rules' for a lack of a better word, I had to watch a playthrough on Youtube before I understood how it worked. It's more difficult than most games you've listed but not too difficult, and there's also a very nice expansion campaign called Voyage of the Beagle, if you can't get enough of it.

Yggdrasil and (maybe even more so) Ghost Stories are min/maxing type of games. You can't afford to make any mistake or take much risk. I expected to like GS but only really played it four types and decided it's not for me; the min/maxing is quite cognitively taxing and takes away from the thematic experience IMO.

Mice and Mystics is a nice and easy going dungeon crawler with great production values. If you like this type of game I'd recommend Gears of War the Board Game too, which plays a lot like X-Com and is especially great with 2 players. I'm personally also looking forward to Galaxy Defenders which I'm probably going to buy next month.

Sentinels of the Multiverse is a great cooperative game, but not so much with two players. IMO three players at minimum is a requirement if you want to have a fair chance. Out of all super hero games I've played I probably still like this one the best since (as opposed to for example Legendary or Marvel Dice Masters) you're actually deciding which attacks to use and how to use combo's for your character, instead of sending armies the other way. Team-play often shines in SotM.

Shadows over Camelot is a bit overrated IMO, but still good fun to play. I guess it depends on to what extent you're forcing yourself to forget you're actually just playing a simple card game, but the production values of the board and pieces help a lot. I was the 'traitor' last time I played it but really didn't have much choice besides not playing my best cards. As a bridge-game this would totally work but I question its value as a cooperative game for experienced board gamers.

Forbidden Desert; I've only played this once with three other people at a store and it was much more enjoyable than I had expected. The experience was sort of similar to Ghost Stories, just much less relentless and without dice rolling. It's from the same designer as Pandemic so you'll probably like this game quite a lot.

Can't say anything about the other games since I haven't played them yet.

Slave 1 is full of many ways to pwn. The lack of durability is one of the annoying aspects of Imperial side, hence the need for swarms otherwise lot of Rebel ships can one shot many imperial fighters, while it typically takes a couple rounds of fire to take out a rebel equivalent. Larger ship like the Slave 1 adds a big target that can take and dish out some good punishment. I love interceptors personally, the boost action is such a bonus.

My Imperial squad was TIE Phantom, Firespray (to distract people from trying to attack the Phantom) and TIE Defender, later I swapped out the Defender for a Bomber since it packs more punch with a couple of secondary weapons. Maybe I can just run TIE Phantom, Firespray and TIE Interceptor, and give the Firespray more upgrades. The only drawback; I can't test it anymore before the tournament so I need to think this over.

Are you mainly looking for two player games, or games for more than 2?

Two for now, my brother works nights and although he would probably be game to play he'll never be around when we do play. And my daughter is only 3, so I have to wait to rope her in, lol

Two for now, my brother works nights and although he would probably be game to play he'll never be around when we do play. And my daughter is only 3, so I have to wait to rope her in, lol

I have a monthly meet up at my house and we play all of my 6 player and up games.
Between those meet ups it usually my girlfriend and I and once in a while a third person is around to play something.

2 Player Games that we like:
Jaipur
Splendor
Gloom (Card Game)
Love Letter (better with 3)
Forbidden Island (Co-op, better with 3 or more)
Forbidden Desert (Co-op, better with 3 or more)
King of Tokyo (better with 3 or more)

We started getting into the hobby in May and already have 80 games.

Regarding Co-op games:
We have but have yet to try Pandemic (plus the expansions), Shadows over Camelot, Ghost Stories, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Cutthroat Caverns (which is mostly co-op).

This weekend is our meet up and we are going to try For Sale, Going Going Gone and play a bunch of the bluffing games..my group loves Resistance, so we are graduating to Resistance w/Plot Thickens cards, Avalon and Coup.

joelseph

Can someone clarify that you cannot take a buy before action in dominion. Tactician always causes this argument in my group. If you can buy before actions it completely busts the card. Someone back me on this.

fenners

Can someone clarify that you cannot take a buy before action in dominion. Tactician always causes this argument in my group. If you can buy before actions it completely busts the card. Someone back me on this.

200px-Tactician.jpg

Correct. The text of the card makes it clear - "+1 buy". It's not "Buy out of order". It's "+ 1 buy on your next turn". It says "at the start of your next turn" to make it clear when the card draw + effects happen, but it's still "an additional buy", nothing out of order. There /may/ be some card that lets you do it, I don't know all the expansions, but Tactician isn't it.

- Play actions.
- Buy.
- Discard all cards.
- Draw new hand.

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Tactician

200px-Tactician.jpg

Correct. The text of the card makes it clear - "+1 buy". It's not "Buy out of order". It's "+ 1 buy on your next turn". It says "at the start of your next turn" to make it clear when the card draw + effects happen, but it's still "an additional buy", nothing out of order. There /may/ be some card that lets you do it, I don't know all the expansions, but Tactician isn't it.

- Play actions.
- Buy.
- Discard all cards.
- Draw new hand.

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Tactician

Yup. The only card, to my knowledge, that lets you play your treasure cards before the buy phase (i.e. in the action phase) is the Black Market promo card. It's actually a known combo: http://dominionstrategy.com/2010/11/17/combo-of-the-day-11-black-markettactician/.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Pretty much every board game reviewer is super super nice.

In fact, I haven't come across someone who wasn't yet. They are typically pretty good about telling you if they have time or interest in a game before you send it.

The problem is the 'board game reviewers' out there who have a geocities page and a hitlist of games they want for free and a willingness to write up a 300 word session report for said games.

Pretty much every board game reviewer is super super nice.

In fact, I haven't come across someone who wasn't yet. They are typically pretty good about telling you if they have time or interest in a game before you send it.

The problem is the 'board game reviewers' out there who have a geocities page and a hitlist of games they want for free and a willingness to write up a 300 word session report for said games.

So what would it take me to get a copy of tammany hall? I can do nude reviews, that would be my schtick. BMouseRubsThrough.

I tend to really like Rahdo's runthrough of games. My game group tends to fluctuate between 2-5 people, and sticks around 2-3, and my groups tend to be less confrontational.

So his kind of fit the bill more than not. Just... remember to read the rule book instead of going just by the videos.

But on the subject of learning games? Oh man, I don't know what I would have done without Ricky Royale's runthrough of Mage Knight. That made teaching it to a group of 4 so easy.

(just don't play Mage Knight with a group of 4, though)

Going to play Eclipse for the first time this weekend...any advice?

If it ends up like my games usually do, if you turtle for too long you are fucked. You can only make so many moves in the last round or so. Make sure you keep upgrading your ships and expand enough so that you have decent territory at the end.

Phthisis

Ordered Commands & Colors Napoleonics (finally). Once I get it stickered, I am excited to dive right in. Speaking of C&C, I am shocked that there isn't a French & Indian War or American Revolution era game in the C&C system. That seems like it would have huge potential. Outside of Wilderness War, there isn't much on the French & Indian War in modern board/war gaming, and it's a fascinating period.

Apenheul

Well I've never been to a store championship for any game before but that'll change tomorrow. I've mentioned it before, I'm going to play X Wing tomorrow and last time I checked (which is almost a week ago) there were about 20 people attending. It's very likely that I'll get to play at least 4 times. I built myself a Rebel squad but I'm still considering switching Luke Skywalker's Markmanship upgrade out for something else because I rarely get to use that action anyway. I feel pretty good about this squad as it's focused on target locking like there's no tomorrow and the average damage output of every ship is 2.25 per attack. Should I have vastly misinterpreted a rule undermining the strategy I've also got a backup Imperial squad with the TIE Phantom as its centerpiece,I'll probably spend a good deal of my evening deciding on the final upgrades for that squad.

If I don't get completely destroyed tomorrow I might do this more often (for X Wing and Netrunner), it's a lot of fun spending almost a day thinking about a board game strategy :)

Yesterday I introduced my best friend to King Of Tokyo. I brought it along and after some talking, we started to play it. What a night! We started around 11pm and played our last game at 4:30am. We had so much fun. It's funny how simple the rules are, but how tactical the game can become. I found a store which had the first expansion in stock and ordered them right away.

Other questions: Any regular PAX-goers here? I never paid attention to it, but how's the board games situation there? Can I get some great deals? How high are the chances that IELLO is selling King Of New York?

Pandemic is wonderful. It is a great co-op game and is fantastic for introducing people to the hobby.
I picked up Pandemic two weeks ago and I still had no time to play it. I will definitely do it next weekend.

Board games are way too expensive hobby. Why do I have only expensive hobbies? I picked up Descent(2nd Edition) for 45€ instead of 60€ at Amazon.de. I hope that it is good. Will play it next weekend.

Dragoshi1

Hey guys, I need some help here.

I want to buy Dungeon! the board game, but there seems to be two versions of it up on Amazon; one with a cartoony looking box, and one with a more realistic box.

Which is which, and which would you guys recommend?

Lyng

So far I only have Pandemic+On The Brink and Lord of the Rings: LCG Core set.

... and a huge list of wants.
Both great games. RftG is cheap, easy to play (once you get your head around the icons) and packs tons of replayability in the base game.

Phthisis

Other questions: Any regular PAX-goers here? I never paid attention to it, but how's the board games situation there? Can I get some great deals? How high are the chances that IELLO is selling King Of New York?.

Usually PAX exhibitors in the board game world will sell any extra stock leftover from GenCon (that's how I picked up X-Wing the year it came out), but I don't think IELLO goes to PAX.

Does anyone know what the deal with Guildhall is? Seems like it's out of stock everywhere and unlikely to be reprinted. Job Faire is still available but probably won't be for long. Wondering if I should pick up that. I see that it got a retheme as well but i have no idea if that will come out here.

Neverfade

Does anyone know what the deal with Guildhall is? Seems like it's out of stock everywhere and unlikely to be reprinted. Job Faire is still available but probably won't be for long. Wondering if I should pick up that. I see that it got a retheme as well but i have no idea if that will come out here.

Job Faire can be played standalone without Guildhall proper. I say pull the trigger. Game is pretty awesome.

Job Faire can be played standalone without Guildhall proper. I say pull the trigger. Game is pretty awesome.

Yeah I was kind of putting it off because I have several other games I haven't got enough playtime with but the clock might be ticking with this one. Looks right up my alley. Have you played both? Do you have a preference? I will check some local game stores tomorrow otherwise I will order Job Faire online.

Neverfade

Any preference would be miniscule considering aside from the card powers, the games play identically. Job Faire might have a few more interactive cards that move/take things from your opponent. I don't think you'll go wrong either way. I played like 2 games of GH before immediately ordering JF. Now we generally do a Dominion-style randomization of cards.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hey guys,

Anyone looking for a badge at GenCon and is willing to demo some board games for 4-6 hours a day? That would give you a badge for non-hall hours and a few hours a day at the hall.

I'm sure we could also hook you up with some free games/comics from Pandasaurus and IDW.

Apenheul

My 100pts Rebel squad:
X - Wing: Luke Skywalker + Shield Upgrade + R2D2 (late-game tank)
Y - Wing: "Dutch" Vander (Give Tarrget Locks to other ships in range 1-2)
E - Wing: Corran Horn + Opportunist + Fire Control System (shoot stuff, hard)

Didn't exactly work out as planned during the tournament. There were 23 people, so the victor was based on 4 matches using the latest tournament rules. Apparently these changed last week. I've played against two TIE Swarms with a Phantom, a Doom Shuttle with two Interceptors and one giant TIE Fighter swarm and lost all rounds. During my first round I played against the player who eventually won the tournament, he gave me some advice during the game so that was nice. I only managed to shoot his Howlrunner down. The second match I could've won, I destroyed someone's TIE Phantom in the second turn and always had my enemy in sight but the dice weren't favoring me. He shot my Y-Wing with an Ion cannon right into a meteoroid and soon became the target of three ships. The TIE Defender, which I always found overpriced worked really well for this player, especially since he could K-turn with no stress.

Long story short, I almost ended up last place but did go home with a Ten Numb promo-card and lots of ideas for next time! And I'll never fly a Y-Wing without a turret again :)

Karkador

Banned
Hey guys,

Anyone looking for a badge at GenCon and is willing to demo some board games for 4-6 hours a day? That would give you a badge for non-hall hours and a few hours a day at the hall.

I'm sure we could also hook you up with some free games/comics from Pandasaurus and IDW.

I'd be down to do it, but schedule conflicts :/

My 100pts Rebel squad:
X - Wing: Luke Skywalker + Shield Upgrade + R2D2 (late-game tank)
Y - Wing: "Dutch" Vander (Give Tarrget Locks to other ships in range 1-2)
E - Wing: Corran Horn + Opportunist + Fire Control System (shoot stuff, hard)

Didn't exactly work out as planned during the tournament. There were 23 people, so the victor was based on 4 matches using the latest tournament rules. Apparently these changed last week. I've played against two TIE Swarms with a Phantom, a Doom Shuttle with two Interceptors and one giant TIE Fighter swarm and lost all rounds. During my first round I played against the player who eventually won the tournament, he gave me some advice during the game so that was nice. I only managed to shoot his Howlrunner down. The second match I could've won, I destroyed someone's TIE Phantom in the second turn and always had my enemy in sight but the dice weren't favoring me. He shot my Y-Wing with an Ion cannon right into a meteoroid and soon became the target of three ships. The TIE Defender, which I always found overpriced worked really well for this player, especially since he could K-turn with no stress.

Long story short, I almost ended up last place but did go home with a Ten Numb promo-card and lots of ideas for next time! And I'll never fly a Y-Wing without a turret again :)

How was did Corran treat you? Never put much thought into his elite skill but I imagine that opportunist must work quite well with him.

Have party games like Apples to Apples become a little too predictable? Has Cards Against Humanity lost the spark that it briefly had? Do you wish party games involved the judge a bit more than most do, and gave hope that even a subpar hand of words can still win with a little elbow grease?

Are you looking for a party game game that can bridge the gap from the familiest of families to the drunkest of gaming night's crass humor?

Well, then. Do I have a product for you. Just pick up a handy copy of Snake Oil and you'll cure the party game woes that ail you.

Apply 1 box of Snake Oil to a group of 4-9 friends and you'll find a good time can be had by all. Best part is, the game's level of humor depends entirely on the group, so it's safe for the kids, and has just enough bite for the adults to combine two innocent words together in new and exciting ways.

For a new level of creativity in party games that's been sorely needed, grab your copy of Snake Oil today!

Apenheul

How was did Corran treat you? Never put much thought into his elite skill but I imagine that opportunist must work quite well with him.

He's just really good at sniping the other player's most important ship. In two games I've managed to get rid of the other player's Howlrunner or Echo in the second turn using Corran. My Y-Wing was the weakest link in my squad, it should've had a turret at least.

Top Bottom