• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Might want to pass on a used copy of pandemic legacy though.

Sushi go party? I went into it expecting sushi go but with a couple of new options given it is sushi go with a couple of new options. Turns out, it is sushi go with a couple of new options.

So all is well and this is a good thing. I think it was about 50/50 between good additions and fiddly crap (aka spoons) so I'd still recommend it as a very solid pacakge that replaces the original.

If I had to be critical I would point out the pawn colours are very poorly thought out. Given you score only (mostly) at the end of the round, it was hard to remember who was blue or the other blue or which of the slighty different purples was leading.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Might want to pass on a used copy of pandemic legacy though.

Sushi go party? I went into it expecting sushi go but with a couple of new options given it is sushi go with a couple of new options. Turns out, it is sushi go with a couple of new options.

So all is well and this is a good thing. I think it was about 50/50 between good additions and fiddly crap (aka spoons) so I'd still recommend it as a very solid pacakge that replaces the original.

If I had to be critical I would point out the pawn colours are very poorly thought out. Given you score only (mostly) at the end of the round, it was hard to remember who was blue or the other blue or which of the slighty different purples was leading.
I think Sushi Go Party! is actually a fantastic game, especially at the price, but yeah the pawn thing I hadn't even noticed, and the tin that doesn't even properly fit everything is absolutely the worst game packaging I've ever had to deal with. Tins are already the absolute worst, but somehow they took it to the next level with that package.

I think Sushi Go Party! is actually a fantastic game, especially at the price, but yeah the pawn thing I hadn't even noticed, and the tin that doesn't even properly fit everything is absolutely the worst game packaging I've ever had to deal with. Tins are already the absolute worst, but somehow they took it to the next level with that package.

Ah yes the tin is a very strange design. I don't know how they designed something that doesn't work well for gameplay OR storage.

Not the worst though, that trophy still goes to castellion for me. There they gave you four individual places to hold only around 1/3 of the total tiles in the game.

Protome

Ah yes the tin is a very strange design. I don't know how they designed something that doesn't work well for gameplay OR storage.

Not the worst though, that trophy still goes to castellion for me. There they gave you four individual places to hold only around 1/3 of the total tiles in the game.
One of my least favourites was the tin sent with kickstarter backer versions of Oddball Aeronauts. Lovely little game, the regular packaging is great, the tin is really nice and fits all the cards in snuggly... But the rule book doesn't fit in it...

Musan

I just bought Castellion, and the tiles will fit if stood vertically. Still a pain to fit everything in, I have to get around to finding a cloth bag for it.

I already played one game of Pandemic and liked it. My wife loved it which is a huge plus, so I don't really need to test it out. I was just wondering if getting on the brink without ever buying the base version was a good idea.

As for the Arkham Horror games, I take it there is a specific game recomended for beginners.
Someome said Elder Sign, and then there's the base game tetsuo mentioned.

zulux21

I already played one game of Pandemic and liked it. My wife loved it which is a huge plus, so I don't really need to test it out. I was just wondering if getting on the brink without ever buying the base version was a good idea.

if I recall right on the brink is an expansion that requires the base version so... it likely wouldn't be a good idea to get it without the base version

Xater

As for the Arkham Horror games, I take it there is a specific game recomended for beginners.
Someome said Elder Sign, and then there's the base game tetsuo mentioned.

On the Brink is an expansion. You optionas are Pandemic, Pandemic Legacy or the upcoming Pandemic: Reign of Cthulu. LEgacy of course adds the Legacy compiment which you might like or not and the Cthulu game has some sight rule changes and a different theme. There is also Pandemic: The Cure which is a dice version of the game which is even lighter and quicker.

zulux21

On the Brink is an expansion. You optionas are Pandemic, Pandemic Legacy or the upcoming Pandemic: Reign of Cthulu. LEgacy of course adds the Legacy compiment which you might like or not and the Cthulu game has some sight rule changes and a different theme. There is also Pandemic: The Cure which is a dice version of the game which is even lighter and quicker.

there is also Pandemic Iberia releasing this year which changes the focus more to prevention instead of curing.

but i am not sure how good it is.

Xater

there is also Pandemic Iberia releasing this year which changes the focus more to prevention instead of curing.

but i am not sure how good it is.

I also think it's very limited and probably pretty expensive. I mostly excluded it because other than that I know almost nothing about it.

marq_roq

Neo Member
heads up barns and noble sent out 40% off coupons that work on board games

codes that are known to work still
LMQCJGX26KQFK
EFGPWNV1FRTEU
Bless you! I've been wanting to dive into some board games for a while and have been lurking here. Picked up Dead of Winter and SW:Imperial Assault. Then grabbed SW Rebellion and Arcadia Quest off of Amazon. Trying to get some game nights going with friends.

Blizzard

Banned
According to BGG, the new Robinson Crusoe is apparently confirmed for October Essen release, and November for the U.S. I really hope I can get a preorder in before everything sells out. Otherwise I might not be able to grab it until next year.

Vard

Bless you! I've been wanting to dive into some board games for a while and have been lurking here. Picked up Dead of Winter and SW:Imperial Assault. Then grabbed SW Rebellion and Arcadia Quest off of Amazon. Trying to get some game nights going with friends.
Good choices! I recommend starting with Arcadia Quest and Dead of Winter as the other two are a tad heavier and thus have more of a learning curve.

Iced

Heading to a cottage this coming weekend. Looking for games that go good with drinking. Someone here mentioned Skulls already, and I'm looking to find a copy, but any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

According to BGG, the new Robinson Crusoe is apparently confirmed for October Essen release, and November for the U.S. I really hope I can get a preorder in before everything sells out. Otherwise I might not be able to grab it until next year.

This is the game I'm looking forward to the most. There's one site in Canada that currently has it for pre-order, but I'm wondering if I should just hold off till one of the other sites that I frequent either has it for pre-order or when it finally goes on sale.

I'm also looking at getting the Vol. 1 Voyage of the Beagle expansion, but the only versions available up here are the Z-Man ones. I tweeted Ignacy and he said that the Z-Man would be 99% compatible (I'm guessing cards sizes that are 1mm off), but he also confirmed that Portal was going to re-release an english version. With the number of edits the base game is getting and the few upgraded bits, holding off is probably the smartest decision...but I want it.

Also hoping to hear more about the Vol. 2 Cthulhu expansion that's rumored.

Protome

Heading to a cottage this coming weekend. Looking for games that go good with drinking. Someone here mentioned Skulls already, and I'm looking to find a copy, but any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

A Fake Artist Goes To New York. Drawing game where one player puts a word on a bunch of cards and leaves one blank then everyone takes one. They then give a clue and going around the group everyone has to take a turn drawing a bit of it and trying to guess who doesn't know what they're drawing.

Really fun when drunk. And sober! It's probably my favourite party game. You don't even really need the box you could play with post it notes and a bit of paper, but it's cheap and tiny so I recommend picking it up!

Edit: Some examples from when I last played it (while drinking)

IH0sjALm.jpg
gtwgu2mm.jpg

Palmer_v1

Won Favor of the Phaoroh at a cont his weekend, along with Nervermore, Too Many Cinderellas, and J'Accuse. Played at least a dozen new games.

Also bought a Pathfinder card game cause it was on sale for super cheap, i'm weak and i love co-op. How are these rated overall?

zulux21

They announced it as a limited run game.

as in only printed once, not as in super low quantities. (aka what a lot of games end up being, just they are announcing it that way to build up hype for it)

there is currently no reason to believe that it will be hard to get at launch, just that if you want it you will have to buy it near launch because once it is gone it is supposed to be gone forever.

Won Favor of the Phaoroh at a cont his weekend, along with Nervermore, Too Many Cinderellas, and J'Accuse. Played at least a dozen new games.

Also bought a Pathfinder card game cause it was on sale for super cheap, i'm weak and i love co-op. How are these rated overall?

the pathfinder games are well regarded, though I highly recommend getting the pathfinder card game app. it's well made and it's free to play. beyond that it will help tech you the mechanics which can be a bit tricky with the card game as there is a lot of mechanics.

Palmer_v1

as in only printed once, not as in super low quantities. (aka what a lot of games end up being, just they are announcing it that way to build up hype for it)

there is currently no reason to believe that it will be hard to get at launch, just that if you want it you will have to buy it near launch because once it is gone it is supposed to be gone forever.

the pathfinder games are well regarded, though I highly recommend getting the pathfinder card game app. it's well made and it's free to play. beyond that it will help tech you the mechanics which can be a bit tricky with the card game as there is a lot of mechanics.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is if the character expansions are compatible with multiple base games?

zulux21

One thing I'm trying to figure out is if the character expansions are compatible with multiple base games?

yeah, most things work across games. Not only will the character expansions work, but you can even take characters from one game and use them in another.

it should be noted a few things work best only with in set though.

Mr E.

Loopin Louie is the German game of choice. They know a lot about games.....they also know a lot about drinking too.

Yeah, heard that as well. But Silver Tower isn't doing crazy well, is it?

GW's own board games are only sold through select hobby stores, it's really hard to say how well anything of theirs sells. Regular board game retailers do not get access to their product, typically only those with GW accounts can buy from them which requires a store to invest heavily in a diverse selection of their products. They usually will try to force new stores to buy a "package" deal which included a few products from their various product lines, a store can't just sign up and buy their board game offerings without buying their wargame products and hobby supplies too

Maybe some company bought them

GW? Unlikely, they been doing alright for themselves. A large part of their success has been all the money they been making on licensing... so yea unless another company outbid them for the renewal of the license, only thing I could think is they are doubling down on their renewed interest in board games they make themselves.

Mr E.

So rumor is that FFG's license with GW is ending. Guess that's a major reason why Warhammer Quest got zero support
That's twice I've been stung by them. Although I don't regret my Gears of war purchase (Game is fantastic) the license has slipped and there will be no more content. If the same happens with Warhammer I will be pissed.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's twice I've been stung by them. Although I don't regret my Gears of war purchase (Game is fantastic) the license has slipped and there will be no more content. If the same happens with Warhammer I will be pissed.

I was just sorting some of my older games today and had a pang of sadness that it also meant no more Blood Bowl: Team Manager expansions. Now to be fair the very last expansion was imo one expansion too many in terms of layering on new mechanics and phases, but apart from that the core game was so great I definitely would have loved even more teams.

if I recall right on the brink is an expansion that requires the base version so... it likely wouldn't be a good idea to get it without the base version
Oh. I got confused because when I played it, my friend took the game out of the On the brink box.

Then it appears to be a no brainer. Base Pandemic it is.

Got a few games this weekend. Picked up Dead of Winter with Prime Now, Pandemic at Target, ordered Legendary Encounters Firefly with the B&N coupon, and then the Warhammer Quest ACG mini-expansion things and On The Brink from CoolStuffInc.

I'm not sure why I waited so long to pick up and play Pandemic. It's phenomenal.

Speaking of games that are regarded as phenomenal, I bought Battlecon Devastation last weekend. I'm just not feeling it. Not sure if I should give it a few more tries or return it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Quick update from the FLGS front: As you may have seen me comment, I've been mostly online-only for years now but the new Game Kastle in Mountain View has really turned me around on the idea of getting games in-store once in a while. Went there yesterday with the whole family and had our five-year-old pick out a game and she was really thrilled to do it. Will probably turn it into a monthly activity. They also walked around looking at some of the minis-game terrain setups and were really into that. Not only does that place have tons of table space, and nicely organized games, we just noticed they have an open library with tons of good games too. Man I never thought anything short of a full-blown gaming cafe could do things so right.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Had another run through the first scenario on MoM2E. Almost beat it this time. Have played the game 4 times already, definitely happy with the purchase.

emag

Any thoughts on Stockpile?

A couple of the people I played with on Saturday mentioned wanting to try it. My primary group is fond of medium-weight economic/market-driven games (various auction-driven games, Container, Imperial, et al.), but we could do with something lighter/shorter with a more explicit stock market theme (better than Acquire's).

I've never seen Scythe compared to Hansa Teutonica. That game is great.

I think in my initial assessment of Scythe I was a little too caught up in the upgrade/cube-release element (hence the comparisons to Hansa Teutonica, and also to Eclipse and Terra Mystica). That's largely a superficial implementation detail though.

With another day to think about it, I actually believe the best point of comparison is Antike. Scythe uses a compressed rondel for action selection compared to Antike, but each spot actually houses a second action (beyond the generic "build cities" secondary action in Antike). Like Antike, there's a light civilization/4X theme to the game that's subsumed by an efficiency race to particular goals: in Antike, you get VP cards for controlling multiples of 5 cities, winning battles (on temples), building multiples of 3 temples, upgrading technologies, controlling multiples of 7 seas, etc.; in Scythe, you gain stars by winning battles, upgrading technologies, putting out all units; building all structures, etc.; in both games, a certain number of stars/VP ends the game. In both games, combat carries a heavy resource cost and is far less common than one might initially expect. Scythe is a fair bit more complicated and complex than Antike (the factions are asymmetric, and final scoring is not simply stars placed, among other things) but the feel is surprisingly similar (and similarly disappointing to me).

I suppose I prefer games that lean just a bit more toward tactical/interactive play and not quite so much toward optimizing a strategic script.

Experien

Got through August in Pandemic Legacy, seems to be getting easier? Around May it stomped us for two months but now it doesn't seem like a challenge.

Also, do they tell you when to name COdA? Or are you just supposed to do that when you want?

fenners

I think in my initial assessment of Scythe I was a little too caught up in the upgrade/cube-release element (hence the comparisons to Hansa Teutonica, and also to Eclipse and Terra Mystica). That's largely a superficial implementation detail though.

With another day to think about it, I actually believe the best point of comparison is Antike. Scythe uses a compressed rondel for action selection compared to Antike, but each spot actually houses a second action (beyond the generic "build cities" secondary action in Antike). Like Antike, there's a light civilization/4X theme to the game that's subsumed by an efficiency race to particular goals: in Antike, you get VP cards for controlling multiples of 5 cities, winning battles (on temples), building multiples of 3 temples, upgrading technologies, controlling multiples of 7 seas, etc.; in Scythe, you gain stars by winning battles, upgrading technologies, putting out all units; building all structures, etc.; in both games, a certain number of stars/VP ends the game. In both games, combat carries a heavy resource cost and is far less common than one might initially expect. Scythe is a fair bit more complicated and complex than Antike (the factions are asymmetric, and final scoring is not simply stars placed, among other things) but the feel is surprisingly similar (and similarly disappointing to me).

I suppose I prefer games that lean just a bit more toward tactical/interactive play and not quite so much toward optimizing a strategic script.

I think those are all great comparisons to Scythe (based on my one play this weekend)... Eclipse came up as a direct comparison with my group post-game on FB, which happens to be a definite favourite of mine, with a similar feel of two thirds of the game being build-up towards the last third of real action between players. Need to play Scythe some more for sure.

As an aside, Antike is a classic that deserves more recognition. So many great games doomed to obscurity by the cult of the new.

Got through August in Pandemic Legacy, seems to be getting easier? Around May it stomped us for two months but now it doesn't seem like a challenge.

Also, do they tell you when to name COdA? Or are you just supposed to do that when you want?

I've owned Legacy since it came out, but I'm afraid to start it because my wife and I have never won a game just playing the practice basic game that you use to learn the rules.

Karkador

Banned
Any thoughts on Stockpile?

A couple of the people I played with on Saturday mentioned wanting to try it. My primary group is fond of medium-weight economic/market-driven games (various auction-driven games, Container, Imperial, et al.), but we could do with something lighter/shorter with a more explicit stock market theme (better than Acquire's).

I like Container and Imperial a lot.

Stockpile is a pretty good game, but it's a bit more of an auction/bluffing game- emphasis more on the bluffing. You get more wrapped up in trying to trick other players into buying a pile of crap than speculating and jumping around from company to company to make your fat profits. The way 'the market' goes in Stockpile is pretty chaotic and short-term compared to other games that try to 'simulate' a market.

I like Acquire more. It IS an abstract game, though, but it's still really good.

Some lighter economic/stock games I can recommend:
Chinatown: It's billed more as a negotiation game (which I love), but it's definitely a money-making game, and it does buying and selling real-estate with more theme than Acquire.

Airlines Europe: Ticket to Ride's bigger brother, with stocks. It's kind of weird and unintuitive at times, kinda like how Container has those weird rules to make the game work- but it's a solid game and the theme is as vivid and colorful as Ticket to Ride.

Black Friday: It's a stock game that models a boom and then a crash. I love this game; it's mechanically very clever and interesting to play with, similar to how I feel about Pandemic. But it got a bad word of mouth because it was released with some poorly written English rules. The actual rules are pretty simple.

Karkador

Banned
As an aside, Antike is a classic that deserves more recognition. So many great games doomed to obscurity by the cult of the new.

Our Amodee overlords (probably) own it all now and will re-release it with plastic minis,to much fanfare and many sales. See what it did for Samurai, Ra, and Tigris&Euphrates :p

Looks like FFG isn't printing the Death Angel PoD expansions anymore. :( I think they still were a few months ago. The Warhammer Quest ACG expansions are also "not available." That's some more confirmation.

EYEL1NER

Looks like FFG isn't printing the Death Angel PoD expansions anymore. :( I think they still were a few months ago. The Warhammer Quest ACG expansions are also "not available." That's some more confirmation.
Damn. I've got both Warhammer Quest ACG characters on a standing CardHaus order, but I guess I need to get those Death Angel expansions soon. I don't want them hitting Gears of War Print on Demand expansion prices (though I did snap one of those up at a store recently for $12 or $15 when people on eBay were still paying up to $60 and more for the deck, so maybe I could find the Death Angel decks there too).

EDIT: Fuck me, someone paid $89.99 for the Gears of War Mission Pack 1 in July. Now I'm really glad I found one. I wouldn't take someone for THAT much, because I just don't care for jacking up prices super-high like that but maybe I'll get a couple extra Death Angel expansions and hold onto them for a couple years. I wouldn't try to get $60 each or anything for them but I could probably get double the price from someone who really wants them but won't pay the ridiculous prices that others will be charging. Hook someone in-need up for a tiny profit? Maybe not, that still might make me feel a bit scummy.

Top Bottom