• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Spookie

Arcadia Quest would seem like the best bet for the kind of game you want. We used to play a lot of Cutthroat Cavern , you do a lot of backstabbing with one another since the only person getting points is the one that land killing blow. Also several people here are into Runebound, I am looking into it but never play it myself so I can't really tell you much beside that it's a semi-cooperative adventure, though not a lot of backstabbing but you are controlling the monster when it's the other person turn.

Thanks for the advice dude I bought Arcadia Quest and I'm looking at the expansions before I buy anything else. 👌

Karkador

Banned
I'm thinking of getting a game with the Barnes & Noble 40% thing. I'd like something that works well both with 2 players and with 4+.

Above and Below: Looks interesting, but I've heard questionable balance / swingy dice. I had a bad experience with those elements in Machi Koro.

CIvilization The Board Game: Looks interesting, but I probably couldn't ever get it played.

Alchemists: Looks neat, but heavyweight and 2 hours? I'm seeing mixed impressions for 2-player play.

Marvel Legendary: Actually I might have played this long ago and wasn't very into it.

Any opinions welcome.

Civ the board game is pretty good, and the game is rather play on that list. If you like the computer game, it's pretty similar (including different ways you can win)

Why do you think you wouldn't get it played?

Blizzard

Banned
Civ the board game is pretty good, and the game is rather play on that list. If you like the computer game, it's pretty similar (including different ways you can win)

Why do you think you wouldn't get it played?
BoardGameGeek says Civilization goes up to 4 hours, 2 hours MINIMUM. Anything over 2 hours is pretty much a massive downside with my group.

*edit* I forgot another downside. If this is the game I'm thinking of, I've heard combat is pretty much mandatory (or at minimum building military stuff), and if you get behind it's hard to catch up. Both of those are bad for my girlfriend and I.

Castef

Banned
Whoohoo! Potion Explosion is finally showing "in-stock" on some OLGS sites and CSI is processing my order atm. How I wish that there wasn't a Hurricane/Holiday Weekend combo going on right now though. It probably won't ship until Tuesday, meaning I'll be waiting until about this time next week to get it. Can't wait thought!

Yep, I have confirmation that it has finally reached US retailers. :)

Have fun and let me know your feedback! :)

Vard

I think the next game I'm going to get is Concordia. Have heard good things for awhile but the theme seemed drier than most games, which kept it lower on my list of games to get. But I'm very intrigued by its mechanics and I can tell I'm going to like it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm interested in mice and mystics for a game/painting project with the kids.

Anybody care to recommend a better game? I'm a bit dubious on how interesting the gameplay will be (roll and ... Roll more) but I'm not sure I'll find a more appropriate adventure experience?
I actually think that's pretty much the only title that will give you minis painting and be remotely kid friendly but could be forgetting something as I'm not much of a minis guy.

Castef

Banned
I think the next game I'm going to get is Concordia. Have heard good things for awhile but the theme seemed drier than most games, which kept it lower on my list of games to get. But I'm very intrigued by it's mechanics and I can tell I'm going to like it.

It is a very elegant and dry game.

I like it, yet lots of people I know do not like it that much for being too much... "slim".

I advice you to try first. :)

Castef

Banned
Above and Below: Looks interesting, but I've heard questionable balance / swingy dice. I had a bad experience with those elements in Machi Koro.

I'd avoid it. Did not like it that much, the make-your-choice element of the game is not really balanced and all in all it just feels an eurogame drawn back by dice rolls and that kind of storytelling.

You could get better games.

Neverfade

I think the next game I'm going to get is Concordia. Have heard good things for awhile but the theme seemed drier than most games, which kept it lower on my list of games to get. But I'm very intrigued by it's mechanics and I can tell I'm going to like it.

I'm a super themey guy, but despite its blandness, Concordia is mechanically rock solid. Top 3 of that year for me probably.

Karkador

Banned
BoardGameGeek says Civilization goes up to 4 hours, 2 hours MINIMUM. Anything over 2 hours is pretty much a massive downside with my group.

*edit* I forgot another downside. If this is the game I'm thinking of, I've heard combat is pretty much mandatory (or at minimum building military stuff), and if you get behind it's hard to catch up. Both of those are bad for my girlfriend and I.

I've played twice with my girlfriend, as a 2P game. She also isn't a fan of combat in games. It's a Civ game, so not only are there multiple paths to victory (most of them having nothing to do with combat), you also spend probably half the game doing your own thing until everyone expands so much that you start rubbing elbows on the map. I think we got into the combat more so on the second game, but I'd still call it a fraction of the experience - and despite her preferences, she beat me when we battled and seemed pleased.

I think there's enough to do in the game that it doesn't really come down to "my army is bigger than your army", and combat results aren't dice-driven. Come to think of it, a lot of the game isn't really all that luck-driven, which I think helps keep frustration down when you've been at the game for a while.

As for the play-time, you're right that it's a long game; longer than a lot of games - but as far as these robust, 4X-style games with tech trees go, this is a relatively quick one.

EYEL1NER

Any word on when to expect pocket neon city rumble to finish production and ship?

I backed after the kickstarter closed and sometimes check the kickstarter page, but haven't seen any talk on a window for completion.

Can't wait for it!
I'm not sure but I don't know that there are any indications yet that Davy will miss the January deadline. The update in August said that he was offered a teaching job and that was taking up some of his time though. The artist, Rudy, has been on vacation for a bit but Davy posted last week in the comments section that he was due back on Thursday and they would be getting back to Pocket NCR and hitting it hard. I didn't track the first game's Kickstarter too much since I missed out on backing it but it was six months late. We'll see what happens with this game.
I am more excited about getting the first game and expansion than getting Pocket, but I still have to wait for Pocket to ship to get that too.

Yep, I have confirmation that it has finally reached US retailers. :)

Have fun and let me know your feedback! :)
Will do. I plan to play it with my wife and daughter the evening it arrives. The hurricane/tropical storm delayed shipping a bit, and that combined with the three-day holiday weekend here means I won't get my copy until Wednesday or Thursday.

Anyone have any quick recommendations for an inexpensive, easy-to-pick-up social game? My drinking group has 4-6 people of varying attention spans, we recently tried the Game of Thrones game which was a complete disaster. I've got Fiasco & Resistance in my shopping cart, need something else to bump my total up for free shipping.

zulux21

Anyone have any quick recommendations for an inexpensive, easy-to-pick-up social game? My drinking group has 4-6 people of varying attention spans, we recently tried the Game of Thrones game which was a complete disaster. I've got Fiasco & Resistance in my shopping cart, need something else to bump my total up for free shipping.

if u like game of thrones get avalon instead of resistace same game just midevil themed

I'm thinking of getting a game with the Barnes & Noble 40% thing. I'd like something that works well both with 2 players and with 4+.

CIvilization The Board Game: Looks interesting, but I probably couldn't ever get it played.

Alchemists: Looks neat, but heavyweight and 2 hours? I'm seeing mixed impressions for 2-player play.

Marvel Legendary: Actually I might have played this long ago and wasn't very into it.

Any opinions welcome.

Above and Below - the criticism is true but there are also strategy. That said we always enjoyed this game every times that we played it. I didn't realize Barnes have this game.

Civilization - I skip this also due to lack of anyone to play with on regular basis plus I am thinking why not just play the actual computer game. That said I regret a little bit picking Dead of Winter Long Night since it is pretty much more of Dead of Winter which we already own.

Marvel Legendary - one of the game I got early after rediscover hobby gaming thanks to Ascension. We find it too long of a set up and like Dominion it's more like just playing and collecting cards than actually being super heroes team. It is still a decent game but I would prefer Legendary Encounter.

I have no opinion on Alchemists.

Blizzard

Banned
I've played twice with my girlfriend, as a 2P game. She also isn't a fan of combat in games. It's a Civ game, so not only are there multiple paths to victory (most of them having nothing to do with combat), you also spend probably half the game doing your own thing until everyone expands so much that you start rubbing elbows on the map. I think we got into the combat more so on the second game, but I'd still call it a fraction of the experience - and despite her preferences, she beat me when we battled and seemed pleased.

I think there's enough to do in the game that it doesn't really come down to "my army is bigger than your army", and combat results aren't dice-driven. Come to think of it, a lot of the game isn't really all that luck-driven, which I think helps keep frustration down when you've been at the game for a while.

As for the play-time, you're right that it's a long game; longer than a lot of games - but as far as these robust, 4X-style games with tech trees go, this is a relatively quick one.
I'd also seen impressions that Civ games often come down to one big mistake throwing the whole game, and/or downward spirals that are hard to recover from.

At any rate, it came down to these three in the store:
  • Alchemists (competitive logic/deducation game, I'd have to order online)
  • T.I.M.E. Stories (co-op story game, only one story included and then you have to buy expansions?)
  • Imperial Settlers (card-building, worker game)

I ended up getting Imperial Settlers. I thought I recognized the designer's name, and it turns out he made Robinson Crusoe!

XShagrath

Alchemists - I absolutely adore it. The app integration is nice, and makes sure that you get a different game each time. It's pretty thinky, but not as much as other CGE games. The 2P game is perfectly fine, and there are still plenty of opportunities to block actions. I've played it twice at 2P and twice at 4P, and it's gone over well with everyone involved. The theming makes total sense too. I haven't played on Master level yet, but might be giving that a go on my next play.

Imperial Settlers - This one's a bit lighter, but it's fun for what it is. I've only played this twice with 2P. On the second game, the other player was the attack-y faction (the Barbarians?) and that was pretty brutal. Then again, maybe I probably wasn't playing against that correctly. I haven't tried the expansions yet, although I have the first one.

I'm doing a game day on Monday, and am hoping to get in: Mansions of Madness 2E, Alchemists, Progress: Evolution of Technology (for something lighter), and maybe either Imperial Settlers or Bruges as well.

Eagerly waiting on my Secret Hitler to be delivered. Looks like such a well-produced set. Whether or not I can find enough friends interested to play it is another matter...

Is the game still in print? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I've love to have it for the cottage next weekend!
If you're unsuccessful at finding it, you can always use a deck of cards -- each player gets three red cards (roses) and one black card (skull). Obviously not as pretty, but it'll work.

Mr E.

I think the next game I'm going to get is Concordia. Have heard good things for awhile but the theme seemed drier than most games, which kept it lower on my list of games to get. But I'm very intrigued by its mechanics and I can tell I'm going to like it.
Recommend the Salsa expansion too. Adds a tighter map for lower player counts, although it's not exclusive to lower player counts. Adds Salt as a wild resource and the Forum tiles which makes the tribune action (recall cards) a much more interesting decision. There is also a Britania/Germania map expansion but that can be skipped if getting Salsa.

emag

Scythe disappointed me with my first play. Perhaps I'd had my expectations raised unrealistically by the hype surrounding it, but I found it to be significantly less thematic and interactive than I had anticipated. It probably didn't help that we played a five player game with one new player (me, Crimea), three players who'd only played once or twice, and one player who'd played a dozen+ times (Polania).

The Rusviet player made an immediate rush for the factory (using the Rusviet teleport-to-factory ability), then spammed the factory card for much of the rest of the game, getting cheap recruits, grabbing the remaining encounters, and then parking his leader and mechs around my riverwalk space to shut down my expansion. Both he and I got 3-4 stars out by midgame, but were quickly outclassed by the experienced player who maxed out his combat power and took the abandoned factory (the same turn I would have done so). Then we just waited as he got to six stars (which didn't take many more turns), as no one was willing to fall on their sword. (The remaining two players just sat in their starting provinces and worked on their economies.)

Obviously I could have played better (by mapping out my income/production, for starters, and also by remembering to take all my recruit bonuses and bottom action coins), but I foresee those I regularly play with also failing to do so for their first game and likewise coming away disappointed. Certainly games like Hansa Teutonica and Terra Mystica require similar planning (and also feature similar upgrade systems), but the level of micromanagement required in Scythe seems to eclipse those others. The variety of resources and building/mech bonuses also seems needlessly complicated. And as I mentioned earlier, the level of interaction was a further disappointment.

To be fair, I don't think Scythe is a bad game. It's one, like Blood Rage, that I found to be okay on its on merits but greatly disappointing relative to its hype. I'd be willing to play again, but it's off my wishlist.

Mr E.

Scythe I own but haven't played yet, a bit disappointed to hear those thoughts. It was never going to live up to the Hype though.

swoon

Recommend the Salsa expansion too. Adds a tighter map for lower player counts, although it's not exclusive to lower player counts. Adds Salt as a wild resource and the Forum tiles which makes the tribune action (recall cards) a much more interesting decision. There is also a Britania/Germania map expansion but that can be skipped if getting Salsa.

I like the Britannia map for lower player counts more than the Salt maps, but agree with Salt and forums card being a great expansion to the base. That said, unless you are playing a lot at 2, the base game us pretty much perfect.

Vard

I took a look at the Salsa expansion and it sounds great too. I think I'll get the base game and expansion next time it's on sale, or when it's in stock and I can bundle it with a few other games for free shipping.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Went to a flea market yesterday and got B-Sieged, Dungeon Saga and Castle Ravenloft for 100. Not bad.

Also, Scythe basically requires multiple plays to really get a grip of. I have played 6 solo games so far, and 3 with my friends, and some stuff is still just clicking with me. Something as simple as using a different faction/mat combo can make a pretty big difference on like your first 10 turns, not even counting what your opponent does or what objective cards you get.

Blizzard

Banned
I feel Scythe is one of those games where experienced players have a significant advantage over new players, and mixed experience games will be rough.

Unless you're like me, and are terrible even after playing several games (especially if I'm explaining the rules and monitoring players constantly). Or unless you're challenging yourself to go for an achievement, like winning with 0 mechs.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Played MoM2E with my wife last night. She wasn't sure about it off the start but by the end she enjoyed it and wants to play again. We didn't win the first scenario. Our rolling is terrible.

Still not sure what the best way to handle the reading of you text in the app.

We played and won a game of Pandemic last night with a single player card remaining in the deck. We knew we had the game won, but had to go around one more time to get the last cure. We had 2 epidemics that spawned during that last go around. Probably the closest as humanly possible with that win.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played three games of Shadowrun Crossfire yesterday and it was fantastic. If you're comfortable with somewhat complex rules and looking for a co-op deckbuilder where you can gain persistent XP and upgrades, have a close look at this.

Played MoM2E with my wife last night. She wasn't sure about it off the start but by the end she enjoyed it and wants to play again. We didn't win the first scenario. Our rolling is terrible.

I don't know if this works with MoM but with every other Arkham game, we have person to left of current player read everything.

Protome

So I went to my friend's and played a stupid amount of board games almost all of which I had never played before! It was so much fun. I've probably forgot like half of them...

CS Files (Deception: Murder In Hong Kong): I had played this before (we rushed a game in before our GOTY podcast last year to see if it should be on the list...) and I was kinda so-so on it. Each game we played yesterday was great though, I got to play as each of the roles and it is just one of those games that hits the things about board games that appeal to me, kinda like A Fake Artist Goes to New York (which plays very similarly too in some ways.)

Between Two Cities: A tile drafting city building game, where the twist is you're building two cities, one with the player to your left and the other with the player to your right. I enjoyed this one a lot, it felt very friendly for the most part. The city you contribute to which scores the least is the one whose points you use so you have incentive to try to make both of them the best and less incentive to try and fuck with another person's city. It also went by surprisingly quickly, I thought it was going to be a longer game.

Smash Up: So, I've played Smash Up before (a lot actually) but have never picked up the expansions. My friend owns all/almost all of them so we got a big ol' game of Smash Up going. I played as the Changerbots and Super Spys because I decided Transform- uh, Changerbots would be great Spies as they can blend in to any car-related situation. Always a fun game, Smash Up. I need to pick up the big box and the expansions.

Celestia: Been meaning to play this one for a while primarily because it comes with a little boat thing that you place all the character pieces into an it looks lovely. Turns out the game is really fun too, each turn one player is the Captain and rolls dice to move the boat forward. He/She then says whether or not they have the cards to match the dice and players need to choose to either stay in the boat or get out and claim treasure in the current location, the further the location is the higher the point value of the treasure. If the captain can't match the dice, regardless of whether they said they could, the ship crashes and everyone goes back to the start. It's a really simple and fun push your luck and bluffing game which I am probably going to pick up a copy of!

Beyond Baker Street: Hanabi style game where you are trying to solve a mystery before Sherlock does by playing cards from your hand that match the colour and cost of cards on the board. The Hanabi connection comes in because you can't see the cards in your hand but everyone else at the table can. It was hard as hell, we lost both games but it came stupidly close in the last game. We were literally one round away from winning. Very tense, very fun and probably my favourite thing I played the whole day.

Knitwit: Very light and cool game where you place wool and spools on a table and attach words to the wool. Each spool has a number and then after everything is placed you need to write down a thing related to whatever words the pieces of wool surrounding that spool are. Like "Tall, Dense, Rich" etc etc. Then everyone reads their answers and gets points if everyone agrees they fit it (or people can challenge them if they think it doesn't) but also, if any people wrote the same answer neither of them get points. It's a smart little game and very very pretty, will probably pick this one up too because it seems like you can play it with anyone.

I think that was everything? I'm probably missing like 6 games, it was a long day. A very fun day though!

Fuse is fun but oh so frustrating. But so small and quick to set up and play

I'm thinking of taking my copy into work to play at lunch time. We've made a bad habit of going over our lunch hour with recent games (Portal can really drag on a bit!) so something that has an enforced time limit would be pretty great.

Although I don't really care that much because my last day is on Friday :D

Two questions, if anyone can help me please.

What version of Pandemyc should I buy?
How can I get into the Arkham Horror games, if I know nothing about them?

zulux21

that one is easy.
you hire James Earl Jones to read it o.o;

emag

Get Pandemic Legacy. You can play regular Pandemic on the board until you're ready to play the Legacy campaign.

Arkham Horror doesn't require any outside knowledge. I guess you could read some Lovecraft or play Eternal Darkness (GCN) to get into the theme.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
that one is easy.
you hire James Earl Jones to read it o.o;

Lol, that would be sweet

Played three games of Shadowrun Crossfire yesterday and it was fantastic. If you're comfortable with somewhat complex rules and looking for a co-op deckbuilder where you can gain persistent XP and upgrades, have a close look at this.

I don't know if this works with MoM but with every other Arkham game, we have person to left of current player read everything.

That could work..just alternate players. In the investigator phase you can choose who you want to go first.

One thing I wish is that players had one more action. Sometimes two doesn't seem enough.

fenners

To be fair, I don't think Scythe is a bad game. It's one, like Blood Rage, that I found to be okay on its on merits but greatly disappointing relative to its hype. I'd be willing to play again, but it's off my wishlist.

On the flipside, I played it for the first time yesterday & loved it for a lot of the reasons you disliked. 4 players, all new to it, but definitely experienced eurogamers. Everyone enjoyed it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Well knowing anything about the theme definitely doesn't matter. Everything I know about Lovecraft I've learned from the dozens of Arkham plays I've had over the years for various games in the series. It really more comes down to what's right for your group in terms of player count and how comfortable that they are with complexity and length. Arkham Horror can be over 3 hours, Eldritch Horror can be two to three hours as well, and they're both fairly complex game this. Not so complex that a smart person can't be taught them, but definitely complex enough that the person bringing the game should know the rules and FAQs pat. Elder Sign is lighter and quicker but a little less themstic. Also don't get the wrong impression that it's a gateway game. You will also need to learn that well before bringing it to the table. I wouldn't play any of these games with more than 4 people for what it's worth.

Karkador

Banned

You'll be fine with the base game. Later on, get On The Brink. It adds a lot of cool things, but you won't even be ready for them until you're good with the base game.

Ignore the other expansions

Protome

I broke. Bought a copy of Beyond Baker Street and a copy of Deception: Murder In Hong Kong.

Does anyone know if there is any differences beyond the name with the latter and CS Files?

Also, my friend gave me a copy of Reiner Knizia's Amphipolis, which I've never played before (he had two copies for some reason.) Anyone here played it?

Karkador

Banned
Pandemic Legacy is different enough from base game Pandemic that I'd recommend them separately. With that said, it's a lot better to start with base game (and base game+On the Brink will probably be in your collection forever).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I work suggest OG Pandemic and Legacy if you enjoy that. The game can be had for pretty cheap.

Also, bought a bunch FFG sleeves for Runebound. I've never owned their sleeves before, but I'm pretty impressed. Sturdy, thick, and seem to fit all the cards well. Not terribly expensive either (on CSI at least).

zulux21

I work suggest OG Pandemic and Legacy if you enjoy that. The game can be had for pretty cheap.

Also, bought a bunch FFG sleeves for Runebound. I've never owned their sleeves before, but I'm pretty impressed. Sturdy, thick, and seem to fit all the cards well. Not terribly expensive either (on CSI at least).

I would suggest just getting the pandemic app and then go from there :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
But then you're not playing the game with people

That's why I said it's good to get before buying into the physical. If you can play and test the game for a few bucks to make sure you like it before dropping $40+ on a new game, depending on your gaming budget, it may be worth it.

zulux21

But then you're not playing the game with people

you could still pass and play, but mostly I was recommending it just to give it a try, plus being able to solo play games isn't bad either.

digital versions are way cheaper than physical versions in most cases and give a great way to not only check out a game, but learn the rules. It's funny how often I let someone know that a game they love is on the app store, and after they play it they learn they were doing a rule wrong :p

Pandemic can be had for less than $25 On Amazon. I highly recommend it!

We played and won a game of Pandemic last night with a single player card remaining in the deck. We knew we had the game won, but had to go around one more time to get the last cure. We had 2 epidemics that spawned during that last go around. Probably the closest as humanly possible with that win.
Nice! Pandemic is such an amazing game!

Top Bottom