• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

FFG losing that GW license is going to see the death of some great games. Death Angel, Blood Bowl, and Warhammer Quest should be a priority for pick ups!

I'm pretty deep into 40k Conquest too :(. I should pick up the last to card pack cycles while I can. I don't even know anyone else that plays, but I have virtually everything released for the game.

This also means no more Role Playing books too. Too bad. GW and FFG always had a nice synergy IMO. FFG had a great respect for the properties they adapted.

On the plus side, GW seems to be kicking itself into high gear. I really hope they keep it up. Lord knows they've gotten more money out of me this year than the previous 5 combined.

GW pretty much only puts out miniature board games, stuff like card games and regular board games, nope. I like their games, but there's a hole that ffg was filling.

EYEL1NER

Man, I completely forgot about Blood Bowl Team Manager's expansions too. Ugh, gonna need to drop a bit of cash on FFG stuff soon then, before all of that good content disappears.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone have opinions on Imperial Settlers expansions? The Atlanteans and probably the upcoming Aztecs expansions sound like they change the game too much or make it longer.

I'm thinking if I get any, both "3 Is A Magic Number" and "Why Can't We Be Friends" would work.

DagsJT

Heading to a cottage this coming weekend. Looking for games that go good with drinking. Someone here mentioned Skulls already, and I'm looking to find a copy, but any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Camel Up and Escape: Curse Of The Temple have gone down well here.

I'm glad I checked in on here, I'm gonna have to get those Blood Bowl Team Manager expansions quick

Also, tomorrow I'm going wine tasting with my co-workers and I'm going to try to teach them Mascarade, should be fun

Camel Up and Escape: Curse Of The Temple have gone down well here.

Camel Up is a good one.

For what it is worth, I would always take cards against humanity along when there is a lot of drinking involved. Chances are you'll reach that point where even Camel Up is way too hard to process.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
FFG losing that GW license is going to see the death of some great games. Death Angel, Blood Bowl, and Warhammer Quest should be a priority for pick ups!

I'm pretty deep into 40k Conquest too :(. I should pick up the last to card pack cycles while I can. I don't even know anyone else that plays, but I have virtually everything released for the game.

This also means no more Role Playing books too. Too bad. GW and FFG always had a nice synergy IMO. FFG had a great respect for the properties they adapted.

On the plus side, GW seems to be kicking itself into high gear. I really hope they keep it up. Lord knows they've gotten more money out of me this year than the previous 5 combined.

I've heard so many mixed things about WHQ ACG. A lot of people said that expansions would probably address its shortcomings. So since that won't be happening, is it still worth grabbing?

emag

Black Friday: It's a stock game that models a boom and then a crash. I love this game; it's mechanically very clever and interesting to play with, similar to how I feel about Pandemic. But it got a bad word of mouth because it was released with some poorly written English rules. The actual rules are pretty simple.

I've played and enjoyed both Chinatown and Airlines: Europe, but they won't scratch this itch. I'll look into Black Friday (and Hab & Gut). Thanks for the recommendation.

I really liked the art/theme of Stockpile, but as you stated, it appears to be more centered around the auction/bluffing mechanic. :/

I've heard so many mixed things about WHQ ACG. A lot of people said that expansions would probably address its shortcomings. So since that won't be happening, is it still worth grabbing?

It's real good we think, but after a few play throughs of the single campaign, I can see players getting bored of it as you can only see so much with the cards available. The random factor keeps things sorta fresh, but it was kinda designed around campaign style play, and it only has one campaign

Neverfade

Note that, for the most part, I really don't like coops.

WHACG was no different for me. And now that it might not be getting anymore support I think that just makes it retroactively even worse. It just needs more everything in my opinion.

I realize I'm in the minority, but I thought I'd dissent just to make your opinion that much harder haha.

JSR_Cube

We like WHQ: ACG. We also like LOTR LCG as well which is quite similar to it. I have the extra characters already but it is a shame that it isn't getting any kind of proper boxed expansion.

It's sad that Talisman will be done too as well. Again, this was already suspected.

We like WHQ: ACG. We also like LOTR LCG as well which is quite similar to it. I have the extra characters already but it is a shame that it isn't getting any kind of proper boxed expansion.

It's sad that Talisman will be done too as well. Again, this was already suspected.

Yea don't think people realize that this deal is going to axe alot of games, just not the Warhammer stuff was part of GW's licensed games.

Karkador

Banned
The WHACG situation is weird. The game had a lot of potential for expansions, and this is really cutting its legs off. I'm disappointed with the news, too.

I like the gameplay of WHACG. I think it's better than Pathfinder ACG. I think it's unique as a RPG card game with a lot of similar features as a Descent, but a small footprint and smaller price. It's hard to find a game that pulls that off.

So maybe the big disappointment with the game is that there wont be more of it. But if you're okay with casually playing the game as a one-shot every now and then, it's probably a fine game. Or maybe FFG will re-release it as Descent Adventure Card Game or something, and expand the hell out of it.

Karkador

Banned
I've played and enjoyed both Chinatown and Airlines: Europe, but they won't scratch this itch. I'll look into Black Friday (and Hab & Gut). Thanks for the recommendation.

I really liked the art/theme of Stockpile, but as you stated, it appears to be more centered around the auction/bluffing mechanic. :/

When I think about it, Camel Up is also probably more of a "stock market" game, since the bets you buy are essentially stocks. It may be the lightest one currently out there.

Mr E.

I happen to like Stockpile, plays really well with two which is extraordinary in itself.
Yes there's insider knowledge and bluffing but this adds table talk for us.

We have the Continuing Corruption expansion which adds Bonds (A safe way for long term investment), Commodities (Set collection basically scoring at the end) Forcast dice which randomise the market and a few more personality cards.

The Personality cards I can take or leave, they can't all be balanced to be honest. We throw them sometimes when playing a full count of players.
When playing only with the wife I leave them out and we get very close games. I like it.

I would disagree that it's about making people buy a load of crap lol. You need to bid aggressively in this game. Someone will always get somthing for free. Be prepared to take what seems a bad hand as long as you've made the other players pay for their hand. You need to figure out what each pile is worth in the long run and make people at least pay that amount.

I would like Acquire but my latest bullet point when buying games is that it must play decent with two, my shelf space has become limited.

Keasar

So basically, Games Workshop is shafting everyone who like the Warhammer themed games from FFG? :(

And I was looking forward to expansions to Forbidden Stars and seeing Warhammer The Adventure Card Game expanded. .__.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'd probably prefer that to just FFG putting out stuff from GW. Maybe I'd get some games i#d like that way.

Not sure precisely what you mean by that, but under New FFG all this probably means is more Star Wars games and more games in their own inferior off-brand universes, which is not exactly thrilling me personally because besides the license and what it brings when you look at their GW-licensed titles, that catalog really contains some of their strongest, longest-lasting games that had a ton more opportunity for expansion.

Now sure, if this meant that their mostly-great designers were suddenly going to be given the same budget and component quality to dream up new universes, that might be interesting. But nothing in FFG's past couple years would suggest that to me. Now that they've transitioned eurogaming to Windrider, I don't really see them working on anything original. And if you look at their "big" GenCon reveal it was just some crappy minis game in their knockoff universe. Not particularly exciting if you think losing GW will open up creative avenues.

Totally a matter of personal taste, and say what you will about the dozens of things wrong with GW, but man their universes are amazing. And I hate fantasy, and can only barely tolerate space marines (the mere thought of the Halo universe puts me to sleep), but GW is just a cut above the rest because their universes have so much character, both on the "dark and gritty" side and on the humor side (sometimes in the same universe). Everything else just feels like a pale imitation.

It's impossible right now to know who's at fault. Maybe GW saw FFG making money off GW licenses and using that to fund directly competing universes, or maybe FFG didn't want the entire company to be dependent on licenses that could be yanked from under them. Both are pretty reasonable. But I'll miss the hardcore and quirky titles the partnership spawned (BBTM being the absolute delightful apotheosis of this), and can say with some confidence that it won't be replicated in FFG's more serious and boring universes.

So basically, Games Workshop is shafting everyone who like the Warhammer themed games from FFG? :(

And I was looking forward to expansions to Forbidden Stars and seeing Warhammer The Adventure Card Game expanded. .__.

We don't know the situation, for all we know FFG is just choosing to not renew their license.

Have a hard time believing GW is just choosing to walk away, as FFG was making games that GW doesn't make and likely never will. GW board games are all expensive miniature games sold to GW hobby shops only, they were not competing with each other, and to not license product is money being left on the table.

So maybe FFG is just choosing to not pay (maybe they spent too much on buying Star Wars lol), or maybe they got outbid for the license by another publisher.

Draxal

We don't know the situation, for all we know FFG is just choosing to not renew their license.

Have a hard time believing GW is just choosing to walk away, as FFG was making games that GW doesn't make and likely never will. GW board games are all expensive miniature games sold to GW hobby shops only, they were not competing with each other, and to not license product is money being left on the table.

So maybe FFG is just choosing to not pay (maybe they spent too much on buying Star Wars lol), or maybe they got outbid for the license by another publisher.

FWIW, the Rune Wars miniature game might of made GW realize that FFG was being a little predatory on expanding their market.

Like you said, who knows.

FWIW, the Rune Wars miniature game might of made GW realize that FFG was being a little predatory on expanding their market.

Like you said, who knows.

The existence of that game didn't come to light till recent, so doubt that is part of it really. And really don't see much hype for Rune Wars amongst the miniature gaming community, lot of negativity towards it really in the sense that they expect failure.

Karkador

Banned
I would disagree that it's about making people buy a load of crap lol. You need to bid aggressively in this game. Someone will always get somthing for free. Be prepared to take what seems a bad hand as long as you've made the other players pay for their hand. You need to figure out what each pile is worth in the long run and make people at least pay that amount.

Maybe it's that the game is too swingy, in that respect. You bid in fixed increments rather than exact numbers. People buy into 'the market' (buying the piles) for nonsense amounts of money. The sell price goes up/down based on cards people play, not a supply/demand type of thing. Money just goes in and out of people's holdings for rather random reasons.

I know, I know - What I want is for NERDS, and I don't want to be overly critical of Stockpile. It's a fun game, just not the type of game where you're scraping to the last dollar to get ahead or feeling like you've predicted the future.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The Netrunner universe would be an interesting one to expand on in other game areas.

They own Android but not Netrunner, though most of the cool characters and the like in Android: Netrunner are actually from Android so that's good. It just so happened the Netrunner gameplay was an absolute perfect fit for the universe too (also, amazing art department). Unfortunately their other Android games since Netrunner the theme has felt really pasted on imo. Mainframe (which almost feels like a second-rate Knizia game) and the upcoming New Angeles just don't really do it for me though obviously the latter is TBD. If you're an Android fan though, I actually think Infiltration is quite underrated. Good light push-your-luck game with a really good theme fit. It's my second-favorite DXV game, and I actually think it didn't get more attention because it's not what people were expecting/hoping for out of DXV back when.

Blizzard

Banned
My biggest complaint about the Warhammer Quest ACG was that I never ever beat the first quest, no matter what strategy and what player count I tried. It got frustrating enough that my girlfriend wouldn't keep trying with me, too. I didn't want to continue the campaign if I couldn't beat the first quest, since you don't get a single epic loot otherwise.

Karkador

Banned
Yeah Infiltration was a pretty neat game. It was pretty hard, though - it often felt like you won by default because nobody else made it out (despite you all trying to collect points).

Mainframe game looks like some random person's game prototype you might find at a game meetup. It's crazy that a game with so many art assets looks like that. Don't even compare that to Knizia :p

zulux21

played my copy of android netrunner last night.

aside from the needlessly complicated rules due to them renaming all common terms to card games and having different terms for each side for basically the same thing.

once you got it down it played pretty straight forward and was interesting. I will have to try it again before I forget how to play and decide if I want to start investing in expansions.

ultron87

Played through the full first scenario for Mansions 2nd last night. That was pretty fun. I like how easy the setup was and the way that the app integrates into stuff beyond monster movement (examining inventory, puzzles) is neat.

I do wish the combat and skill checks had some additional ways to play to your strengths. It's a little weird that sometimes you attack with a "heavy weapon" and that could use your strength, your agility, or even your observation skill, which could vary pretty wildly per character. It makes it tough to predict who should be doing what. Same thing with some of the actions you can take on the board. It'd be nice if it did something like "this action could require X or X skill" before you actually commit to it just to let you try and strategize a bit more. I suppose that would take away some of the unpredictability and harshness of the setting. And I suppose if I really wanted that kind of openness I'd just go play the Call of Cthulhu RPG.

One part that was very funny was how easily dispatched some of the monsters are. I think we had 3 cultists in a row run in and then immediately get pummeled to death with a 2x4.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah Infiltration was a pretty neat game. It was pretty hard, though - it often felt like you won by default because nobody else made it out (despite you all trying to collect points).

Mainframe game looks like some random person's game prototype you might find at a game meetup. It's crazy that a game with so many art assets looks like that. Don't even compare that to Knizia :p

ha -- i said second-rate Knizia!

Palmer_v1

Played through the full first scenario for Mansions 2nd last night. That was pretty fun. I like how easy the setup was and the way that the app integrates into stuff beyond monster movement (examining inventory, puzzles) is neat.

I do wish the combat and skill checks had some additional ways to play to your strengths. It's a little weird that sometimes you attack with a "heavy weapon" and that could use your strength, your agility, or even your observation skill, which could vary pretty wildly per character. It makes it tough to predict who should be doing what. Same thing with some of the actions you can take on the board. It'd be nice if it did something like "this action could require X or X skill" before you actually commit to it just to let you try and strategize a bit more. I suppose that would take away some of the unpredictability and harshness of the setting. And I suppose if I really wanted that kind of openness I'd just go play the Call of Cthulhu RPG.

One part that was very funny was how easily dispatched some of the monsters are. I think we had 3 cultists in a row run in and then immediately get pummeled to death with a 2x4.

Had you played 1e at all? I'm a bit rusty, but in that version, each weapon type had it's own mini deck, and each time you made an attack, you'd randomly draw one of them to resolve in similar ways. At least in that version, you could peruse the deck if you wanted, to see what types of checks are going to be needed. In 2e, it's all hidden within the app.

I was at PAX Prime yesterday. I feel like Monday PAX (which is usually less crowded) was a lot more empty than usual. May be it was the lack of many of the tournaments there this year or they were dispersing the crowd better but I am thinking it's because there are so many convention this weekend and there are now multiple PAX you can go to. I am glad to see the board games have even bigger present this year. They moved board game to Olive 8 hotel which is sort of out of the way and I think most attendees may be don't even go there which is too bad as one of the room a guy brought in all new releases.

There was a lot of Star Trek Ascendancy which like other 4X games will probably never get to the table so I took a pass even though several dealers were offering 15-20% off. Captain Sonar was also pretty prominent and both Asmodee and FFG have small room for their games (way too small especially for FFG which even on lighter Monday was always full of people trying out demo.

I got Potion Explosion from one of the dealer and help them sold the last copy to the couple behind me. (the fellow gaffer designer that made this game feel free to send me residual check). I didn't get a chance to play it yet (may be later today) but did put the "board" together. I was a little worry that the marble dispenser might be too flimsy being build out of card boards but so far it holds up pretty well. I was glad that you can put the entire thing back in the box and the box in general was well though out and most everything fit neatly back in the box. The exception was one of the bottle "rack" tile, the groove was too shallow to hold all 4 tile so one was just sliding around. The dispenser did take a bit of time putting together and there were a lot of card board to be punched out.

MvtRvrUl.jpg

The box came with a plastic bag for marbles but I have an old TSR bag which is perfect for magical marble bag.

Keasar

Edit: Just got home from work and found my package with my Kickstarter copy of Secret Hitler had arrived. Gotta ape what a lot of other people on the internet have said so far, goddaymn this is a beautiful game! Looking so much forward to taking it out and playing it. :D

Well, that absolutely sucks, Forbidden Stars was a fantastic game and I was really hoping they would add more races to play. And Warhammer ACG would have been excellent to expand.

Guess for my co-op cardgaming I have to jump on Lord of the Rings LCG or hope they bring the game system of Warhammer ACG to something else and builds on it. :(

Rumor is that it's not FFG, it's Asmodee acquisition that is the problem and reason why GW is renegotiated the licensing. May be Asmodee doesn't want to licensed from GW or vice versa.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Santorini production delayed:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-in-30-seconds-play-it-for-life/posts/1672812

The problem - Santorini contains many building pieces. These building pieces are made from plastic created by a mold. Due to the number of building pieces in Santorini, producing 10,000 games worth of building blocks will take a significant amount of time.

Unfortunately, due to all the other complexities of the game, lead times, sourcing, etc, the manufacturer simply did not consider that we would require a second mold to meet our set November deadline. This was simple, human, error... with unfortunately large fall out.

The solution - Why not create another mold? That is exactly what we are doing right now. However, these molds are complex and require all sorts of machining and testing. So a mold can take 3-4 weeks to complete. Roxley ordered the tooling of a second mold Wednesday last week, the very moment we were informed of this miscalculation. The second mold will be in action as soon as it is complete.

The result - The result of this is a product delay of 3-4 weeks. There is a probability that some games will be delivered January, which is very unfortunate.

We are shipping containers as soon as they are complete. We will be shipping the first container to the USA, for backers in USA and Canada, as those games will take the longest to arrive at the fulfillment agencies. We will then be shipping a container to EU, then to the rest of the world. This will help to ensure that all backers receive their games around the same time.

Our manufacturer has been doing a stellar job. The samples we have so far are simply amazing (see below). Santorini has a lot of strange production challenges, and they have met every one of them head on. They are doing their absolute best, often answering our emails at 9pm on a work nights, all to ensure that Santorini is as good as it can possibly be for you folks. So while this mistake has broad effect, we (Roxley) must recognize that they are also human, and humans are capable of error.

Roxley and the manufacturer will also do whatever possible to try and shave off any excess time in other areas to increase the probability of a best case scenario.

Lesson learned - Ultimately, responsibility rests with Roxley, as this is our first game in which we've done plastics, and did not realize that plastic lead-times would be this much greater than print production, and therefore did not ask if a second mold would be required. In future projects, we will ensure that the manufacturer does a full analysis of plastic lead times to ensure that we tool enough molds to meet the demand set by our timeline.

To say we feel terrible about this event is a gross understatement. It is a bit disheartening when we put this much work into ensuring the product is delivered on time, only to be held up by an oversight. We absolutely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this. Roxley will continue to strive toward raising our bar of professionalism in every aspect of Kickstarter boardgame design, development, and production. Thank you for your continued support.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I own Fury but I've never played it. Lol.

That being said I wouldn't really call Fury of Dracula a GW franchise. It's a boardgame that they published based on a pretty standard Dracula interpretation.

The whole thing is under license from GW though I guess you could reskin it fairly easily (although funny enough this sort of goes against FFG's own legal interpretations re reskinning games). I think the overall point though (FoD being a crazy good example of) is that GW IPs are on a pretty impressive variety of games. BBTM, FoD, Talisman, etc. all have next to nothing to do with minis gaming (I've actually never played a traditional minis game myself, unless you count the two hours Stooge and I spent at BGG.Con years ago trying to decipher the Monsterpocalypse rules. :p).

Deadstar

Not sure if this has been mentioned but just a heads up for my people here, the Codex deluxe set is available on the official website. These are extras from the kickstarter campaign. Once they are gone, they are gone forever.

I haven't played Codex but I ordered it after seeing the good reviews.

Also in other news, Thunderstone Third Edition is coming out. I started getting into that game as it was dying so I never got all the sets. I'm excited to jump back in for the third edition. I liked the game but thought it had some clunkyness to it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Coincidences can be so stupidly random.

I am currently creating a list of my board games including pictures and some basic info for quick perusal. I am searching for a box shot and photo of every board game and for one of the games, I used a google picture that led me back to this thread series, or to be more precise to a post from myself in 2013.

I should get back to this thread one of these days. I bought and played a toooon more games since then, haha.

EYEL1NER

Not sure if this has been mentioned but just a heads up for my people here, the Codex deluxe set is available on the official website. These are extras from the kickstarter campaign. Once they are gone, they are gone forever.

I haven't played Codex but I ordered it after seeing the good reviews.
Impressions are certainly favorable from those who have played it. My Deluxe copy will hopefully be here in the next week; a lot of people non-Deluxe backers have gotten theirs but Deluxe editions haven't began shipping yet.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
My friend Kickstarted Human Interface last year. Estimated delivery of December 2015. Delayed to February. Still not here lol

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, the FFG-GW news made me go order the 2 BB:TM expansions from CSI. Stock on Foul Play is getting REAL low, but who knows how much is in the distributor pipeline, assuming FFG is going to/has halt production.

I'm actually kinda surprised that a simplified BB:TM game wasn't licensed out to the NFL as I think the game could have huge crossover appeal, but I bet the NFL license is cripplingly expensive.

FFG is gonna get sunk if they ever lose the Star Wars license. At least Cthulhu stuff is safe for them, though I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to claim ownership of the IP in some fashion (maybe the estate of August Derleth for example). Of course if Cthulhu cost money then almost no one would license it.

Impressions are certainly favorable from those who have played it. My Deluxe copy will hopefully be here in the next week; a lot of people non-Deluxe backers have gotten theirs but Deluxe editions haven't began shipping yet.

I just can't justify spending that on a single card game. Which is also probably why I've never bothered with Magic.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well, the FFG-GW news made me go order the 2 BB:TM expansions from CSI. Stock on Foul Play is getting REAL low, but who knows how much is in the distributor pipeline, assuming FFG is going to/has halt production.

I'm actually kinda surprised that a simplified BB:TM game wasn't licensed out to the NFL as I think the game could have huge crossover appeal, but I bet the NFL license is cripplingly expensive.

FFG is gonna get sunk if they ever lose the Star Wars license. At least Cthulhu stuff is safe for them, though I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to claim ownership of the IP in some fashion (maybe the estate of August Derleth for example). Of course if Cthulhu cost money then almost no one would license it.

I'm curious if it's a loss of the license or if FFG just decided GW was asking too much so they chucked deuces and called it a day. The details of this will be fascinating if they ever come to light.

Top Bottom