• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

zulux21

Everything I'm currently waiting for from KS, pretty happy with the list:

http://i.imgur.com/AFAb3VR.png[img][/QUOTE]

games I am waiting for on kickstarter
Spirit Island
Super Dungeon Explore: Legends
Mythos Tales
The Red Dragon Inn: Battle for Greyport
Sentinels of the Multiverse: OblivAeon
Fog of Love - romantic comedy as a board game
Aeon's End
The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game
This War Of Mine: The Board Game

Shengar

Anyone here have played Mystic Vale yet? I actually already owned it and played some game, but want to know what others think about it.

Nah it's like 15 minutes of your time if you use the tutorial videos, I wrote up a text in the visible notepad of useful shortcuts for my friends since they aren't exactly intuitive.

I watched their series here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNw52Xh4Rwo and you only need to watch parts 1-3 for playing. other vids are more for importing your own textures into the game.

Actually, here I'll paste what I wrote for my friends

Code:
 The following are commands will be helpful for navigation in TTS:

WASD - Movement. Everyone is a floating camera and WASD will move you around the table

Left Click - Pick up and move objects. Objects are held only as long as you hold left click.
     - To pick up a stack of cards, hold the top card until the rest of the stack is picked up before moving.
      - While holding an object, right click over another object to add it to your hand
      - Rotate the object with mouse scroll

Right Click - There's quite a few things you can do with right click:
      - Hold it down to change the camera angle
      - Right click objects to change their properties
      - If holding a card, hold down right click to slide it underneath a stack of cards
      - If holding a stack of cards, tap right click to shuffle the stack

F - flip the selected and mouseovered objects

R - shuffle/roll selected and mouseovered stacks of cards or dice

G - group up selected cards into a stack

Alt - Display a zoomed in version of the mouseover object

Space Bar - Center your view

Middle Mouse Click - Zoom in to the area clicked. Another click will zoom out. You can refine the zoom with mouse wheel scroll

There's more but I feel that the above are essential.

Thanks!

EYEL1NER

My current KS board game waitlist is as follows:
-Dragon Tides (late; waiting on them to find funding so so they can finish shipping wave one and produce/ship save 2)
-Apex: Therapod Deckbuilding Game: Stomping Grounds (late; waiting on my upgrade and booster packs still)
-Secret Hitler (late; waiting on tracking number, shipping began a week ago)
-Pocket N30N City Rumble (pledge includes Neon City Rumble and expansion)
-Mythos Tales (shipping to begin next week, ahead of schedule)
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (late)
-Codex (shipping has begun, three months ahead of schedule)
-Zombie Tower 3D
-Fog of Love (will probably be late)
-Santorini
-Super Hazard Quest (probably gonna be late)
-Fugitive
-Millenium Blades reprint (backed for Set Rotation and new promos)

I was on CSI earlier for their big X-Wing sale (yay, Imperial Raider for $58 after promo code!) and saw that Potion Explosion is estimated to ship tomorrow. I had an order with it in there a while back but got tired of waiting and moving things around so I had them remove it. I just set up a pre-order for it, the new Smash Up expansion, and some X-Wing stuff. Sucks that there is a holiday weekend and tropical storm though because I want Potion Explosion like yesterday. Can't wait to finally be playing it soon though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Man Astro our August list is so different lol

28768397023_96408799ae_o.jpg

XShagrath

You guys love your Kickstarters.

Mine is as follows:

7th Continent

For those of you who have played Mansions of Madness v2, how do you think it would be if you absolutely hated Arkham Horror? I love the theming, but the few times I played Arkham (two players, once playing one investigator each, and the next two times playing two investigators each), it just felt overly difficult and oppressive. I like Elder Sign, as it doesn't feel impossible to win, and I haven't played Eldritch Horror.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Still want to play Kingdom Death. I'm ready to throw money at it, too. But fuck scalper prices on ePay.

My KS list is Gloomhaven and Massive Darkness. Agility has already been fulfilled (and it's a great 2p game if anyone is looking for a new one).

ultron87

I'm actually entirely caught up on Kickstarters*. I think I fell off backing stuff after I backed Fief and then the people I'd play it with moved away so that kind of didn't work out.

*except for Frog Factions 2 but that kind of doesn't count

EYEL1NER

My August was pretty slim on plays. I only had the following from August:
-Exploding Kittens (7 plays)
-X-Wing Miniatures Game (5 plays)
-Escape: Curse of the Temple (3 plays)
-DC Comics Deckbuilding Game (1 play)
-Love Letter (1 play)
No one showed up to the game night at the local store this past Tuesday, so I didn't get to get Splendor to the table for the first time (I was so excited for it too). The only other two people who show up anymore didn't come because one of them was sick but dropped off Betrayal at House on the Hill and Ascension (which I don't want to play, I can't stomach that artwork) though, so even if they had shown, we might not have played Splendor anyway.
I wish I had played as many games last month as some of you though. Sigh, I'm still holding out hope that I'll move cross-country to Colorado Springs soon (or anywhere else really, but that is my desired location) and be able to join a thriving board game community.

We played Pandemic with our 2 girls. Everyone was given a disease they were in charge of maintaining throughout the game. We let everyone come up with their own name, symptoms, and how the disease is transmitted.

My 7 year old named hers "Hot Dog Disease". There was a batch of bad hot dogs that were made and when you eat one you have an insatiable craving for hot dogs and so you eat them until your stomach explodes.

How do you follow that? That sounds like one of the most horrible diseases ever.

My Kickstarter wait list:

Airborne in Your Pocket
Journey - Extra items
Shadows of Brimstone - Wave 2
Camp Grizzly - Expansions
Myth Journeyman
Apocrypha
The Dwarves
12 Realms Bedtime Stories
Shadowrift 2nd Edition
Shadowrift: Eve of the Sickle Moon
Spirit Island
Spaceteam Expansion
7th Continent
Banner Saga
Sentinels Obliveaon
Mythos Tales
Fabulous Beasts
Zombie Tower 3d
Fog of Love
Santorini
Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game
Dark Souls
This War of Mine
Black Orchestra
One Deck Dungeon
Catacombs & Castles
Days of Ire: Budapest 1956
Massive Darkness
Fugitive
Near and Far

Granted Airborne will likely never show up...

Protome

The kickstarter games I'm waiting on.
  • Word Domination
  • Fugitive
  • Quests of Valeria
  • Retreat To Darkmoor!

None of them are late I don't think.

And while we're at it, Kickstarter games I backed then haven't played enough/at all.
  • Bright Future (played once)
  • Chaosmos (0 plays)

Still though, the only Kickstarter game I regret backing was Nightlight. What a boring game, with really lovely artwork and little wooden heart tokens.
To plug my own stuff, I made a video about some of the kickstarter games I had received. You can watch here!

zulux21

You guys love your Kickstarters.

Mine is as follows:

7th Continent

For those of you who have played Mansions of Madness v2, how do you think it would be if you absolutely hated Arkham Horror? I love the theming, but the few times I played Arkham (two players, once playing one investigator each, and the next two times playing two investigators each), it just felt overly difficult and oppressive. I like Elder Sign, as it doesn't feel impossible to win, and I haven't played Eldritch Horror.

i've only played it once, but as for the difficulty....
it was going fine...
and then it wasn't.
and we lost.

despite that I think it was a bit better than arkham for the feeling of wining, but alas, I don't know if we were actually on the final objective like I think we were since the app controls it all and i can't look ahead to see :p

SumGamer

I'm so eagerly participating the arrival of Vinhos. Tax house is so gonna love me.

My KS waiting list:
Vinhos + Gallerist
Master Thief
Villages of Valeria
Santorini
This War of Mine
Fields of Green

I recently received number of KS games in such a short duration as well.

Explorer of the North Sea
The Manhattan Project: Chain Reaction
Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach

All three arrived in a space of 4 weeks.

EYEL1NER

I just read in the BGG "New Game Round-Up" about the new IDW/Pandasaurus game Escape from 100 Million BC. The game is supposedly due to release at the end of the year or Q1 next year? Not much info out there, no images of the game on its page, and no discussion in its forums, but here is a small bit of info from the page:
In Escape from 100 Million BC, players take the roles of stranded time travelers who are hurrying to reassemble their ship because a nearby volcano is about to blow. There are also dinosaurs to dodge, time rifts to close, and historical figures to round up who got caught in the wake of the passing time ship. Each player has unique abilities and stats which will aid in repairing the time ship. Players must be careful not to disrupt the timeline too much or the volcano will detonate, wiping out proof of the expedition altogether
Here's hoping there is a big info dump soon (or someone we know ITT spills some beans on it) because that sounds really interesting.

Taborcarn

I've backed 3 lifetime Kickstarters, all of which I'm waiting for.
2 are board games:
Tiny Epic Western
Yokohama Deluxe

The last is Divinty Original Sin 2

Still want to play Kingdom Death. I'm ready to throw money at it, too. But fuck scalper prices on ePay.

My KS list is Gloomhaven and Massive Darkness. Agility has already been fulfilled (and it's a great 2p game if anyone is looking for a new one).

I don't know if you heard but they announced that 2nd edition of Kingdom Death is coming next year either for pre-order or Kickstarter.

Airborne in Your Pocket
Journey - Extra items
Shadows of Brimstone - Wave 2
Camp Grizzly - Expansions
Myth Journeyman
Apocrypha
The Dwarves
12 Realms Bedtime Stories
Shadowrift 2nd Edition
Shadowrift: Eve of the Sickle Moon
Spirit Island
Spaceteam Expansion
7th Continent
Banner Saga
Sentinels Obliveaon
Mythos Tales
Fabulous Beasts
Zombie Tower 3d
Fog of Love
Santorini
Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game
Dark Souls
This War of Mine
Black Orchestra
One Deck Dungeon
Catacombs & Castles
Days of Ire: Budapest 1956
Massive Darkness
Fugitive
Near and Far

And I thought I have problem with Acquisition Disorder. My Kickstarter wait list. Stuffs from last year or the year before

Conan
Gloom of Kilforth
7th Continent

This year is mostly game that are either a sequel, remake or expansion. I guess I got a bit guy shy after so many mediocre games from Kickstarter.

Mistfall (Heart of the Mist) not sure why I back this considering the first one while good was a bit of a disappointment , I guess I am hoping that the expansion with fix some of the game problem as I really like the game for the most part.

Tesla VS Edison Power Up, another one hoping that the expansion will fix the problem (so far looking at the YouTube review and game play seems like it would)

Xenoshyft - we really like the fist one and the expansion is more of it plus fixing some of the issue in the first game.

Near and Far (sequel of Above and Below), we really enjoy Above and Below even if it's not the most balance game.

Vinhos - remake should be good and can't wait to get this to the table. I love the Gallerist.

Hero Realms - fantasy version of Star Realms

Mythos Tales - remake

and Nemo's War - remake

Only original game this year - Karmaka

Eldritch Horror overlap though!

I think you mention before but if you don't mind what app do you use to track your game? I try to do it on BGG but it's clunky on the phone. Thanks.

Anyone here have played Mystic Vale yet? I actually already owned it and played some game, but want to know what others think about it.

My roommate bought Mystic Vale, but we've only played it 2 player and 2 games total. The best part of the game is that you can keep drawing more cards if you're willing to risk busting. Gets rid of those do-nothing hands from other deck builders.

The sleeve-builder idea is novel, but already drove me crazy getting hairs and dirt inside the sleeves. I had a great time arguing whether or not it was better to build on your rot cards to make sure you never got a terrible hand vs build on your best cards to make for volatile swings in the power of your hand. The trouble is that since each card is really only 1/3 of a card, the limited number of unique tools you could draft felt even smaller. There was very little excitement about what cards got flipped off the top of the deck by the time we wrapped up game 2. Needs an expansion pretty badly, imo.

EYEL1NER

Airborne in Your Pocket
*snip*
No, it won't, which really is a bummer. AiyP and D-Day Dice were both good looking games. It sucks the way things turned out. I need to play AiyP some time though. I have a really nice, professional-looking copy of Airborne in your Pocket that Print and Play Productions had the rights to make a while back; I obtained it from someone selling it on BGG in an auction. I need to give D-Day Dice some more time in the future too; I acquired all of it that actually was produced (minus the messenger bag, which used to be for sale on one of the OLGS) and played it solo a couple times.

Shengar

My roommate bought Mystic Vale, but we've only played it 2 player and 2 games total. The best part of the game is that you can keep drawing more cards if you're willing to risk busting. Gets rid of those do-nothing hands from other deck builders.

The sleeve-builder idea is novel, but already drove me crazy getting hairs and dirt inside the sleeves. I had a great time arguing whether or not it was better to build on your rot cards to make sure you never got a terrible hand vs build on your best cards to make for volatile swings in the power of your hand. The trouble is that since each card is really only 1/3 of a card, the limited number of unique tools you could draft felt even smaller. There was very little excitement about what cards got flipped off the top of the deck by the time we wrapped up game 2. Needs an expansion pretty badly, imo.

Playing with 2 games with 4 people, and I also felt the game really need an expansion. The card crafting aspect is definitely fun but somehow it ended much faster than I like it to be. And in each two games, the winner always had the majority of the VP with no one had any point close to him. The 4VP generating card is too strong and due to how the game played, there's no way to stop any player who bought it.

Maybe they want to make the game to have quick play time for each session, but seriously I'm barely seeing any card from the Vale decks and only few from the level 3 deck.

heads up barns and noble sent out 40% off coupons that work on board games

codes that are known to work still
LMQCJGX26KQFK
EFGPWNV1FRTEU
Out of their selection I'm interested in Dead of Winter and Pandemic. Should I pull the trigger? Dead of Winter is the one I'm second guessing myself. Pandemic I've heard tons of praise.

zulux21

Out of their selection I'm interested in Dead of Winter and Pandemic. Should I pull the trigger? Dead of Winter is the one I'm second guessing myself. Pandemic I've heard tons of praise.

dead of winter is a great co op game, and the last stand was just released so $36 for that is a good price especially since it adds a lot of new stuff compared to the original game

that being said I haven't had a chance to play the last stand yet. it could be like king of new york where more stuff actually made it less fun compared to king of tokyo, but it should still be a solid game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Another BattleCON fest tonight. That game is just so damn good. I've used 7 or 8 characters so far and man, you can really see the difference between the different skill tiers. Even more so on the other side of the board from them. Playing against a master tier character it basically is more important knowing what their styles do over your own.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm in the process of reading the rules for Space Empires 4x. Hopefully this is relatively easy to learn...Anyone ever play this and have some tips for getting started?

dead of winter is a great co op game, and the last stand was just released so $36 for that is a good price especially since it adds a lot of new stuff compared to the original game

that being said I haven't had a chance to play the last stand yet. it could be like king of new york where more stuff actually made it less fun compared to king of tokyo, but it should still be a solid game.
Do you mean "the long night"?

EYEL1NER

Whoohoo! Potion Explosion is finally showing "in-stock" on some OLGS sites and CSI is processing my order atm. How I wish that there wasn't a Hurricane/Holiday Weekend combo going on right now though. It probably won't ship until Tuesday, meaning I'll be waiting until about this time next week to get it. Can't wait thought!

Experien

Kickstarter Waiting...

• 7th Continent
  • Airborne in Your Pocket
  • Myth: Journeyman
  • Mythos Tales
  • Near and Far
  • Perils of Mars
  • Santorini
  • Super Hazard Quest
  • TMNT
  • Teramydd: Earthsphere (HA!)
  • XIA expansion
  • Z.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Heh heh, the Kickstarter "wait list" I have is:
Airborne in your pocket
Up Front
the rest of Robotech Tactics

Shouldn't surprise anyone that I no longer back Kickstarters :(

Welp. Now I have to somehow convice myself that the base game is better than the long night version, since I jumped the gun and ordered that and couldn't cancel it in time.

Some reviewers do mention that in can become too convoluted for its own good, compared to the base game, so those are the kind pf reviews I'll pay attention to in order to feel better about myself.

This review for example:
"If you like the original, you'll find more of the same here and like it. If not, don't bother. If you're wondering which one to buy - if you want more complexity/difficulty buy this one and if you want more story telling w/o the complexity buy the original."

And this one:
"More Dead of Winter. Ratchets up the difficulty, which doesn't seem necessary to me, since I rarely win the base game anyways. The improvements you can build are cool, but everything else is just an annoyance. Didn't need more problems in my zombie apocalypse, needed solutions."

zulux21

Welp. Now I have to somehow convice myself that the base game is better than the long night version, since I jumped the gun and ordered that and couldn't cancel it in time.

Some reviewers do mention that in can become too convoluted for its own good, compared to the base game, so those are the kind pf reviews I'll pay attention to in order to feel better about myself.

the base game is still solid.
play it and enjoy it. if you fall in love with it getting the new version wouldn't be horrible (I will give more details on the new expansion when I get around to playing it. only thing i have looked at is the adult themed crossroads which are darker and more mature than the original ones including themes of rape/suicide ect and are optional to play with)

they already announced the next expansion, which requires two copies of the game (two of the original, two of the new, or one of each) as it will change the game into competing colonies with each team controlling their own colony and trying to get the resources to survive.

there aren't a ton of details, but it sounds like it will be a great way to make use of both sets of the game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

This review for example:
"If you like the original, you'll find more of the same here and like it. If not, don't bother. If you're wondering which one to buy - if you want more complexity/difficulty buy this one and if you want more story telling w/o the complexity buy the original."

And this one:
"More Dead of Winter. Ratchets up the difficulty, which doesn't seem necessary to me, since I rarely win the base game anyways. The improvements you can build are cool, but everything else is just an annoyance. Didn't need more problems in my zombie apocalypse, needed solutions."
I own the base and stayed away from the expansion for exactly those reasons so you should be fine.

heads up barns and noble sent out 40% off coupons that work on board games

codes that are known to work still
LMQCJGX26KQFK
EFGPWNV1FRTEU

Also want to say thanks for the head up, I already got MoM2 and our B&N doesn't have it anyway I ended up with Dead Of Winter Long night since it's the most bang for the bucks. $32.30 after member discount on top. I wanted to get Civilizations board game but that will never hit the table.

@astrolad if I get it to the table this week I will let you know what we think. We love the original and thus look like more stuffs. I read that it's pretty modular and you can add any or all of the expansions and beside you get all the new characters and crossroad cards.

Also want to say thanks for the head up, I already got MoM2 and our B&N doesn't have it anyway I ended up with Dead Of Winter Long night since it's the most bang for the bucks. $32.30 after member discount on top. I wanted to get Civilizations board game but that will never hit the table.

@astrolad if I get it to the table this week I will let you know what we think. We love the original and thus look like more stuffs. I read that it's pretty modular and only one of the expansions is really worth adding in beside all the new characters and crossroad cards.

Wait can you do store pickup?

I'm interested in mice and mystics for a game/painting project with the kids.

Anybody care to recommend a better game? I'm a bit dubious on how interesting the gameplay will be (roll and ... Roll more) but I'm not sure I'll find a more appropriate adventure experience?

My current KS board game waitlist is as follows:
-Dragon Tides (late; waiting on them to find funding so so they can finish shipping wave one and produce/ship save 2)
-Apex: Therapod Deckbuilding Game: Stomping Grounds (late; waiting on my upgrade and booster packs still)
-Secret Hitler (late; waiting on tracking number, shipping began a week ago)
-Pocket N30N City Rumble (pledge includes Neon City Rumble and expansion)
-Mythos Tales (shipping to begin next week, ahead of schedule)
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (late)
-Codex (shipping has begun, three months ahead of schedule)
-Zombie Tower 3D
-Fog of Love (will probably be late)
-Santorini
-Super Hazard Quest (probably gonna be late)
-Fugitive
-Millenium Blades reprint (backed for Set Rotation and new promos)

I was on CSI earlier for their big X-Wing sale (yay, Imperial Raider for $58 after promo code!) and saw that Potion Explosion is estimated to ship tomorrow. I had an order with it in there a while back but got tired of waiting and moving things around so I had them remove it. I just set up a pre-order for it, the new Smash Up expansion, and some X-Wing stuff. Sucks that there is a holiday weekend and tropical storm though because I want Potion Explosion like yesterday. Can't wait to finally be playing it soon though.

Any word on when to expect pocket neon city rumble to finish production and ship?

I backed after the kickstarter closed and sometimes check the kickstarter page, but haven't seen any talk on a window for completion.

Can't wait for it!

Blizzard

Banned
I'm thinking of getting a game with the Barnes & Noble 40% thing. I'd like something that works well both with 2 players and with 4+.

Above and Below: Looks interesting, but I've heard questionable balance / swingy dice. I had a bad experience with those elements in Machi Koro.

CIvilization The Board Game: Looks interesting, but I probably couldn't ever get it played.

Alchemists: Looks neat, but heavyweight and 2 hours? I'm seeing mixed impressions for 2-player play.

Marvel Legendary: Actually I might have played this long ago and wasn't very into it.

Any opinions welcome.

Top Bottom