• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

zulux21

Usually five, but they want to start inviting their friends, which presents a different problem. Good games for more than 5 players.

good games for more than 5 players?

it's called the splitting game.

where you take the players.
and split them into multiple groups
and then play games with lower player counts :p

I mean there are some games that work great with more than 5 players

7 wonders does an alright job with 7
party games such as codenames or resistance or warewolf do well with more than 5 players (in fact are better)

but most games don't do so well with more than 5 players. (this is coming from someone who doesn't split the group and regularly has 6 people btw lol so if you really want I can list off more games we play, but I would personally play the splitting game if you can)

Blizzard

Banned
Libertalia and 7 Wonders are some of the only sorta-complex games I don't mind with 6+ people. In both cases this is because everyone does simultaneous actions and the person "running" the game can keep things moving.

Citadels can do 6+ people, but it can get REALLY slow waiting on class choice and turn choice.

zulux21

Libertalia and 7 Wonders are some of the only sorta-complex games I don't mind with 6+ people. In both cases this is because everyone does simultaneous actions and the person "running" the game can keep things moving.

Citadels can do 6+ people, but it can get REALLY slow waiting on class choice and turn choice.

most of the games we play with 6 players, play better with 3-4.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Usually five, but they want to start inviting their friends, which presents a different problem. Good games for more than 5 players.

If you have 5, and you guys don't mind competition, Cyclades and/or Kemet are great for kinda stepping up to more complex games. Cyclades even expands to support 6 players in 2v2v2 fashion, which is great fun.

Terra Mystica is absolutely amazing, but it is very very rules heavy. Not that hard to actually play once you get going, but a lot of front loaded rules explanation will be needed. Also, it is one of those games that really needs multiple plays to get a grasp of, in my opinion. You will know how to play the first game, but you won't know how to play.

Here in Houston we have multiple shops that sell board games that have a good selection of stuff open for people to try out. I might suggest trying to find out if you have anything like that near you.

You can also take a leap and order Captain Sonar right now from CSI before it sells out again. People are going mad for it and it is apparently BEST with 8 players, which is incredibly rare. Might be worth it if your group is going to grow.

In other news, some of the higher tier character in BattleCON are just insane to play. I tried Gaspar today and that was just a mindfuck. I was hitting my own damn self with mixups.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

There are some games that come to mind, but I second the splitting thing. It allows for much more variety, while still getting them all back together in the end. We are currently having the gaming day split in 2 parts: Serious gaming round and Social gaming round.
In the series gaming round, we split up in 2 groups, each playing a more involving game, and then we all come back together for the social gaming round to play the games everybody can participate in. This is scalable, as you can just do some easier stuff for the first round, so this plan should work nicely in a 4-5 hour round, or alternatively in a 3 hour round if you play small games. (We usually tend to have 8-9 hour sessions each sunday though).

As for the easier games that are still fun at more than 5 players:
7 Wonders is a good fit, as its rather quick, easy to learn and easy to play. Not the best game ever, but its a good entry level game.
FOHqH2C.jpg

Bohnanza can be quite fun with multiple people due to the trading/bantering. Its a set collection game that was a good gateway game for many people I know who werent into boardgames before.
3QtiWFk.jpg

Dungeon Fighter has quite a bit of rules, but your players dont need to learn them all if you know how it works. The basic mechanic of the game is throwing dice and just laughing your ass off. The more people the better.
8vHwZyd.jpg

Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space is a pretty engaging and exciting hidden movement game, which starts off slow by having the danger of someone being onto your movement, and then gradually adds more rules and possibilities/items to it.
zYy868J.jpg

King of Tokyo is a very lightweight push your luck game, that adds player powers through expansions. Surprisingly fun and expandable if you want more of it eventually!
fxqY3f5.jpg

Pictomania is a drawing game, that adds some more tension by everyone drawing and guessing all the time. Very enjoyable, usually people ask for another round directly after the first one is finished.
2NVwJsY.jpg

Ascension and Mundus Novus (already mentioned on the last page) also work with 6 (Ascensions needs at least 1 expansion)

And then there are the more traditional social games like Codenames, Werewolf, Spyfall, Snake Oil, etc.

6 players? Try Cosmic encounter, cash n guns, camel up, spyfall and Bang the dice game depending on your group. I know it can be hard to split sometimes, especially if they are couples.

Some people might suggest Jamaica, but I think 6 is too many, 5 would be ok.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
6 players? Try Cosmic encounter, cash n guns, camel up and Bang the dice game.

Some people might suggest Jamaica, but I think 6 is too many, 5 would be ok.

Cosmic Encounter can be quite hardcore though, as it also has a ton of powers, rules and card abilities to keep track of. Might be a side effect from our group having played it dozens of times, but this game can be super devious depending on whom you are playing with.

Toma

Potion Explosion arrived. Omg, I love those marbles. Not sure if I can get it to the table this sunday though, as we might have a 5 player session.

Cosmic Encounter can be quite hardcore though, as it also has a ton of powers, rules and card abilities to keep track of. Might be a side effect from our group having played it dozens of times, but this game can be super devious depending on whom you are playing with.

Very true.

I played a couple of games of Fuse tonight with the kids and it really went down well. The youngest was a bit scared of the app timer in the first game (probably wondering what would happen) but after that it was smooth sailing.

To make it work, I removed the rule about punishing you for not using a dice and kept the harder cards out of it (which is recommended anyway). There wasn't really any hand holding required, so I was pretty happy with that while still getting a good thrill in the game we lost.

Castef

Banned

You should really add RoboRally. :)

Don't know if I said this already or not but Congrats on Potion Explosion Castef, I enjoyed my first game a few weeks ago. Can't wait to see what you do next.

Wonder if I should get Fury of Dracula or Forbidden Stars.

The rush to buy the GW games now is on, just being on CSI picking up the Talisman expansions I was holding off on, saw three of them that had multiple copies go out of stock in matter of minutes right before I could checkout.

ultron87

I did enjoy Forbidden Stars a lot the one time I played it, but it's one of those "well I'd play this once a year" games. Hmmmm.

Toma

Don't know if I said this already or not but Congrats on Potion Explosion Castef, I enjoyed my first game a few weeks ago. Can't wait to see what you do next.

Wonder if I should get Fury of Dracula or Forbidden Stars.

Didnt play Forbidden Stars, but Fury of Dracula was absolutely fantastic.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The rush to buy the GW games now is on, just being on CSI picking up the Talisman expansions I was holding off on, saw three of them that had multiple copies go out of stock in matter of minutes right before I could checkout.

Yeah, I suspect some games are going to become quite rare. Get em while you can!

Thankfully, I don't care for any of the GW FFG games. Talisman is a fun digital game, but the physical game never interested me.

Been rumoured, sure, but there's the confirmation. A bunch of great games are going out of print. At least we get heads up notification, I guess. Wonder if FFG's already stopped production of these, meaning no more new copies for retail?

Takes months for the games to print and ship to retailers, so doubt they are going to be making anything more when they have to stop selling by Feb.

Faiz

Oh well. Grabbed Fury of Dracula just to avoid possible regret of not purchasing in future.

I just did the same thing. I haven't purchased a game in quite a while now but this one has been on my list too long to not take the chance.

zulux21

are any of the following decent co op games?
or more so, are any of them co op at all or are they all competitive?
Black Crusade
• Blood Bowl: Team Manager
• Chaos in the Old World
• Chaos Marauders
• Dark Heresy
• Dark Heresy Second Edition
• Deathwatch
• Forbidden Stars
• Fury of Dracula
• Only War
• Relic
• Rogue Trader
• Space Hulk: Death Angel
• Talisman
• Warhammer: Diskwars
• Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
• Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game
• Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game
• Warhammer 40,000: Conquest
that seems to be the full list of what FFG is losing.

wonder if they are gonna end up at asmode, everything seems to right now @_@

I have base Warhammer Conquest + the first cycle of packs. I was going to pick up Great Devourer and Legions of Death to flesh out my choices when playing but the game is now dead, so fuck it. I feel like I got burnt on this one.

Losing Talisman sucks, but I have everything released for that game and I feel like that is more than enough.

I'll also grab Fury of Dracula right now while I can.

Everyone should grab Bloodbowl Team Manager, Death Angel, and Warhammer Quest + the expansions!

Experien

I know Fury of Dracula and Warhammer Quest are for sure co-op.

I am on the fence about getting Fury of Dracula to be sure.

Toma

Is there any particular reason why you guys are on the fence regarding Dracula?

Experien

Is there any particular reason why you guys are on the fence regarding Dracula?

Will I play it? Do I have space for it? Does it fill a void in my collection? Should I get another board game with a bunch of KS on the way?

My answers are yes, no, yes, probably not.

I heard great things about the previous version of the game so it isn't about whether the game is good or not.

zulux21

I will have to look into them as I could always use more co op games :p

it seems fury is only $45 on amazon. wonder how long it will be before it's up over $200.

I will have to look into them as I could always use more co op games :p

it seems fury is only $45 on amazon. wonder how long it will be before it's up over $200.
Fury of Dracula will almost certainly go up in price. Though we haven't heard what GW is going to do with these properties yet. From that perspective FoD of those on the list seems more likely for a reprint.

ultron87

Grabbed Fury since that's a thing I'll probably play. I guess I don't really trust GW to reprint it in a manner that's either affordable and/or up to the quality of this version.

Ohnonono

Got a copy of Commands and Colors:Ancients expansions 2 and 3. Still loving the base game so much. Excited for the new scenarios!

zulux21

Fury of Dracula will almost certainly go up in price. Though we haven't heard what GW is going to do with these properties yet. From that perspective FoD of those on the list seems more likely for a reprint.

I imagine most of them will get reprinted eventually, the question will be by who and when.

I would rather just buy them now and know I have them if they interest me instead of hoping the next printing will be good.

Faiz

Grabbed Fury since that's a thing I'll probably play. I guess I don't really trust GW to reprint it in a manner that's either affordable and/or up to the quality of this version.

I feel like GW as a company is really coming back around, but given how well this edition was received, I feel like this is the one I will want.

Even if it's incredibly unlikely I will convince anyone to play it given the time requirement.

I did just throw down for the Warhammer Quest Adventure Card game and the two expansions as it seems very unlikely it would be redone by GW. My wife loved playing LotR LCG but never wanted to build a deck, so it looked perfect for us.

Palmer_v1

Hey Stooge, I have a great idea for an HoA based board game where you have players trying to build up their house to increase their property value amidst increasingly weird HoA rules, and maybe hidden roles too. You have one asshole doing it just to airbnb the place, so he gets bonuses per bedroom, another guy just wants a mega man cave, so bonus for the biggest single room, etc.

and the Stooge hidden role, which based on speculation, will be
an arsonist

Edit: Now that I seriously consider this idea, it just feels like a modern day Castles of Mad King Ludwig.

Faiz

Fury prices on Amazon are already getting a bit silly given how recent the news still is. Watched several venders with decent prices sell out over the last hour.

Meanwhile it's still available for $45 from CSI, and Amazon is still taking orders for stock they expect to receive shortly.

When Fury was OOP before the current printing, it had a decent resale value. It's all going to shoot up in value, probably only one that won't will be the Conquest and Invasion LCG's, as those without support usually become worthless in the eyes of collectors

Yikes, CSI is getting wiped out of all the games. They had plentiful stock on all the Talisman stuff and now all they got left are two products, and those are almost gone too. Blood bowl is gone now too, they had 20+ copies yesterday

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Death Angel is fantastic. Stock is probably mostly evaporated by now though. I've had the base for years but grabbed all four expansions when someone on this thread reminded me it was ofc part of the GW lineup. Only had to slightly overpay for one of them but I'm sure it's much worse now. Really tough but satisfying co-op with of course a great theme. It's the first game I've actually every been really tempted to play solo too, but it works well with all player counts it supports (just played a couple 2p games last night actually).

Blizzard

Banned
I feel there might be a market for a hidden movement game that doesn't involve serial killers and/or rapists. I've seen several complaints from people who avoid Jack the Ripper and Dracula games.

Karkador

Banned
I feel there might be a market for a hidden movement game that doesn't involve serial killers and/or rapists. I've seen several complaints from people who avoid Jack the Ripper and Dracula games.

There definitely is. The other problem with the genre is that the games tend to have some kind of issue with balance, length, quarterbacking, or how much there is to do in the game (too little/too much)

ultron87

You just eat people in Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space. That's a good one. And everyone gets to hidden movement instead of just the baddie.

Debating whether to get FoD before it is too late. >_<

I will remain strong. Money is tight right now and I most likely will not be able to play it. I can always get Specter Ops for that type of game.

If they have until February why are they not doing print on demand. Going to want those Death Angel expansions.

Top Bottom