• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Eww driving!

I have two dogs and no one who can watch them for the week.

So, dogs into the car to the hotel. I think it's going to be about a 13 hour drive that we will start around 10:00 AM. So, wish me luck.

Flying with dogs adds about 500 dollars to a plane ticket.

joelseph

I have two dogs and no one who can watch them for the week.

So, dogs into the car to the hotel. I think it's going to be about a 13 hour drive that we will start around 10:00 AM. So, wish me luck.

Flying with dogs adds about 500 dollars to a plane ticket.

We were very close to bringing our dog along this year. I would love a report on how your hotel experience is.

StoOgE

We were very close to bringing our dog along this year. I would love a report on how your hotel experience is.

I do it all the time. We are about a 10 minute walk from the convention center.

So either the wife or I will pop over to take them out in the afternoon. And we'll walk them in the AM and when the floor closes at night.

They live in a walkup apartment so a hotel isn't too far removed.

I think the hotel we are in is 50 dollars for the week to add a dog. Which is way better than the 80 a night per dog to board them in the UWS.

Part of it works because we more or less just crash after the show floor ends. We'll get dinner and drinks, but we'll also hit the hotel to watch TV and veg.

Being on this side of a Con is very different from going to a Con for fun. They are super super exhausting.

Phinor

X-Files with Kevin Wilson signing stuff at some point

I'm a license game whor.. fan so very much looking forward to any X-Files news. The release date was pushed back to September (so late 2014/early 2015 in Europe?) but we've yet to see the game in action so hopefully some Gencon reports coming about the game.

StoOgE

I'm a license game whor.. fan so very much looking forward to any X-Files news. The release date was pushed back to September (so late 2014/early 2015 in Europe?) but we've yet to see the game in action so hopefully some Gencon reports coming about the game.

I've seen the game in action. :trollface:

We'll have a lot more info at GenCon :)

Duress

So do any other games use the Pathfinder rules?

I'm kind of new to this table top game business.

I was considering DnD, but I'm not sure which has more variety of games.

Karkador

Banned
Haha yep that's an FFG game alright. Picking some things out:
-nonstandard colored hit dice
-figs w/ associated stat cards
-lots of tiny cardboard chits
-small cards
-busy board

Only thing I didn't catch was the trademark spinny wheel thing you have to construct.

Yeeeeep. It's like FFG has a modular "lego set" of stuff they design all their games around. "What can we do with our tiny cards? The cardboard wheel?"

The thing that bugs me the most about their game design is the busyness of the graphic design. I know they're often making sci-fi games that they want to give a lot of sci-fi texture to, but...it's too much texture! I can just imagine their art director checking someone's work and saying "Oh, is that a border with four lines? Make it 16."

QpFWDDM.png

*eyes melt*

I passed on their Werewolf style game on box art alone.

Blood Bound wasn't half-bad, but kind of janky to play - and yeah, the art is....mind-boggling bad, especially coming from a company that regularly produces good illustrations for their games.
I wonder if that game was rushed out to the market. Maybe with more work, it could have been something special.

Draxal

So do any other games use the Pathfinder rules?

I'm kind of new to this table top game business.

I was considering DnD, but I'm not sure which has more variety of games.

Pathfinder RPG or ACG? Not much talk about paper rpgs in this thread and I do think there's an OT for it but i'm not sure how much action that thread gets.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465327

ACG, I like the game and some others here do, but there's really nothing like it in the market now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I really dislike the dials in Blood Bowl. Pretty much guarantees you always have to ask for score instead of looking since the numbers are inset. nbd but I kinda wish someone would come up with a standee or something that tracked score for games like BBTM and King of Tokyo where you are often checking. As it is I stand up the ipad and use Scorekeeper XL. Haven't used the dingy BB dials in years. But for KoT you have to track health and score so we just use the dials.

Just got my Golem Arcana stuff in the mail today (There will be some phase 2 stuff coming in Sept/Oct).

The app hasn't been officially released yet so I can't play right now (well I could, but not with the app interface which is the big draw for me).

The miniatures came out great. Really looking forward to playing this one.

Here's the stuff I kickstarted (I did not have the money to do the "get everything" pledge): Kickstarter base set, Gudanna expansion (1 of 4 types of golems you can build from), Black Widow elite unit pack, and Amulet of Numenesh (whatever that is).

Here's a closeup of the elite unit pack which has unique color scheme and powers.

Here's a closeup of the kickstarter base game. The six golems included in the kickstarter edition are different than in the base game. Essentially the KS version comes with 6 golems (3 from each of 2 types) that can be used as "mercenary" units fighting for either of the two main factions or the Mercenary Kings faction. The retail base game will have 3 of one main faction golems and 3 of the other main faction golems.

omlet

If you mean Pathfinder the card game (ACG), as Draxal said it is pretty unique at least from what I've seen. Obviously it uses the "deckbuilding" mechanic at its core, but not in a way I've seen others do it. I guess Mage Knight has a similar element but not really the same kind of game at all.

If you mean the actual Pathfinder P&P RPG rules, like the Paizo ones, it's kind of like "D&D 3.5" in a sense. I have not played older versions of D&D enough to compare, but Pathfinder is similar to 4th edition, but with more classes and other supplemental stuff. Mechanics-wise, they have a lot in common. I played part of a 4E campaign and gotta say that if I'm going to play something with grid-based combat that moves at a snail's pace, I'd rather play Pathfinder so I can at least play some other "non-standard" class/race combinations.

D&D 5E (5th Edition) is hot off the presses this year and I just got to try it for the first time this week. I love how streamlined some things have become (advantage/disadvantage mechanic, proficiency) that really help take some of the tedious numbers and multitude of different types of dicerolls out of the way. Also, the departure from grid-based combat shifts some burden of responsibility onto the DM but holy crap did combat go fast... no more of this spending 10 minutes discussing each move and tracing LOS... not that I don't like tactical games (I do), but it's a nice change.

Er, anyway, so that's a roundabout way of getting to the point which is that lots of the basic D&D knowledge would apply if you wanted to pick up 5E (still have attributes, hit dice, AC, etc.) but there are fewer classes and no emphasis on making combat into a tactical slog. To me, that's great. In our first 5E session we had an encounter against 4 goblins that ended in about 10(?) player turns in, I think, less than 15 minutes. That same encounter in Pathfinder or 4E would have taken that same group of players probably like 45 minutes using grid-based combat, because we can't help playing it very tactical when that option is on the table in front of us.

On the non-D&D front, the basics of pen&paper role playing you'll learn from Pathfinder will have some application to most other tabletop RPGs.

Draxal

Just got my Golem Arcana stuff in the mail today (There will be some phase 2 stuff coming in Sept/Oct).

The app hasn't been officially released yet so I can't play right now (well I could, but not with the app interface which is the big draw for me).

Here's the stuff I kickstarted (I did not have the money to do the "get everything" pledge): Kickstarter base set, Gudanna expansion (1 of 4 types of golems you can build from), Black Widow elite unit pack, and Amulet of Numenesh (whatever that is).

Here's a closeup of the elite unit pack which has unique color scheme and powers.

Here's a closeup of the kickstarter base game. The six golems included in the kickstarter edition are different than in the base game. Essentially the KS version comes with 6 golems (3 from each of 2 types) that can be used as "mercenary" units fighting for either of the two main factions or the Mercenary Kings faction. The retail base game will have 3 of one main faction golems and 3 of the other main faction golems.

edit. Sorry was thinking of the wrong game. Looks neat though, more prepainted minis on the market the better.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just saw that Lukas Litzsinger (lead designer for Netrunner) is one of the main designers for xcom. Hype levels now jacked up.

Can GenCon goers try out The Witcher board game? I am a fan of CD Projekt Red projects, so I am really interested in that one.

And I am super stoked to hear your impressions of Sheriff Of Nottingham.

joelseph

Just saw that Lukas Litzsinger (lead designer for Netrunner) is one of the main designers for xcom. Hype levels now jacked up.

I fall into the hype trap every year! And now they are teasing an even bigger reveal at GenCon. I will have to leave my money at home.

I went importing. These showed up today:
Camel Up (Cup) was this year's SDJ winner. I haven't played it yet but it looks like fun.

The Enchanted Tower and Geister are both kids games. Tower won kids game of the year last year and Geister won it this year. I played both with my son and they are really good. I don't think they will see a release stateside but if you have kids I'd say get them if it's not too expensive for you to import them.

Armada stuff

Ah, so that's how they are getting around scale issues. Just make a different game. Although, I guess it could be a more slower naval combat style of game. Could be interesting.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The Enchanted Tower and Geister are both kids games. Tower won kids game of the year last year and Geister won it this year. I played both with my son and they are really good. I don't think they will see a release stateside but if you have kids I'd say get them if it's not too expensive for you to import them.

It sucks how few good Euro kids games get legit US releases. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a huge market for this stuff. Heck it's tough to even find decent reviews out there.

Experien

Ah, so that's how they are getting around scale issues. Just make a different game. Although, I guess it could be a more slower naval combat style of game. Could be interesting.

It is a different game though. This is described as Tactical Fleet Combat and X-Wing is labeled as Tactical Space Combat. The link actually has a TON of info on how it is played that I haven't gotten around to reading.

I hope I can get a copy of Camel Up next week. Joey you looking for anything?
Thanks for asking, but I think I'll pass this year. The stuff I want looks like it requires you to preorder it ahead of time.
It sucks how few good Euro kids games get legit US releases. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a huge market for this stuff. Heck it's tough to even find decent reviews out there.
Yeah, it's hard to find quality kids games here. They either are mass market nonsense or toys dressed up as games. Thankfully, the game store that is close to me has a huge selection of Haba games. I'll need to look some up and see what's good.

Tom does reviews for kids games sometimes, but for the most part people will ignore them on BGG.
It is a different game though. This is described as Tactical Fleet Combat and X-Wing is labeled as Tactical Space Combat. The link actually has a TON of info on how it is played that I haven't gotten around to reading.
I looked at it briefly it does look more like a naval combat game, which is neat.

My mind boggles at why FFG is releasing a different SW mini tactical game.

Because ppl been begging for capital ships in xwing since day one,and that was never gonna work in xwing. And their license doesn't let them do board games.

I'm glad its a different game than just using same game system, we tasted naval combat using the system in Attack Wing and frankly that is pretty mediocre at it.

I'm still hoping for a land based SW mini game from FFG.

Strike when the SW is hot?! Also, people got a taste of epic ships in X-Wing and want more. They can't realistically make a Star Destroyer either. Honestly, i think I might invest in Star Wars: Armada!

ArmadaBoxLeft.png

I mean...look at all that stuff!

ArmadaGamePlayLayout.png
Stuff sounds amazing. Just imagine combining them with X-Wing! If a X-Wing squad and Tie Squad engaging in Armada, you have to play a game of X-Wing to decide the outcome. I will never play it like this, but it is possible. :D

Stuff sounds amazing. Just imagine combining them with X-Wing! If a X-Wing squad and Tie Squad engaging in Armada, you have to play a game of X-Wing to decide the outcome. I will never play it like this, but it is possible. :D
There was an episode of the Secret Cabal podcast where they talked about the possibility of playing the Star Wars RPG and when there is a need for a space battle deciding it over a game of X-Wing. Now they can add Armada in and have an uber game going.

Xater

So when is the full app supposed to come out? I am very curious about this and would love to see some videos from people that have the final thing with impressions.

What's neat is the Star Destroyer shown in Armada is the Victory II, so we will be seeing larger scale Star Destroyer no doubt..... and you know this means a large SSD mini!

That new star wars game retails for 100 bucks so even with online prices that's pretty steep.

Is that official MSRP from FFG or placeholder from Distributors? That's pretty high, similar to other big box starters for other miniature games really, but you typically get lot more plastic out of those. Unless the pictures are misleading and these components are bigger than what we think, but the two card sizes shown I think make it clear the sizes. The description on their site though says 10 squadrons of fighters yet picture shows only 4. If the box contains more fighter stands then they should update it as lot of people are going to cry foul about the pricing.

I can only assume they aren't showing the other 6 squadrons of fighter minis because they want to highlight the larger capital ships instead of making the game look like nothing but swarms of fighters.

So when is the full app supposed to come out? I am very curious about this and would love to see some videos from people that have the final thing with impressions.

Release date for the game and the app is this Wednesday. I'll be sure to give some impressions.

As for the armada price: it's what's listed on the ffg website when you click on "products" that's usually msrp. I wonder if this will be a surprise release at gen con.

Top Bottom