• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Karkador

Banned
The 50% success rate for basic attacks is unsatisfying and my marines missed more than they hit. On the second location and I'm already down two marines. I think I picked a weak combination of teams. Reading on BGG that playing with four teams (thus 2 player) is considerably easier.

I've had more success simply mitigating the horde, keeping their numbers low rather than trying to killing every last one, and keeping marines stocked with the assist tokens in case I need a reroll. I also try to use the special powers as much as possible, and make sure to get the most out of the Door card's ability.

The die rolls ARE very harsh, but I think the game uses that as the fire at your feet - the actual game is using your marine's (rather good) abilities under that pressure.

Started a new campaign in Descent. My friend is a battlemage. He was more battle than mage though.

Interestingly, the subclass can't invest in rank 3 abilities.

I've had more success simply mitigating the horde, keeping their numbers low rather than trying to killing every last one, and keeping marines stocked with the assist tokens in case I need a reroll. I also try to use the special powers as much as possible, and make sure to get the most out of the Door card's ability.

The die rolls ARE very harsh, but I think the game uses that as the fire at your feet - the actual game is using your marine's (rather good) abilities under that pressure.
I wish the support system was more like Warhammer Quest ACG. One token for the action doesn't seem worthwhile. Though I'm starting to see that they are essential.

The teams I picked were grey, blue, and yellow. Not the best combination.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Started a new campaign in Descent. My friend is a battlemage. He was more battle than mage though.

Interestingly, the subclass can't invest in rank 3 abilities.

That makes sense - give them more abilities to choose from but limit them so you can't just take a bunch of super good rank 3's.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Yeah that's a good way to put it. The game is known for brutal die rolls but you need to employ really excellent tactics to even get to that point, and even more excellenter tactics to mitigate them.

The space hulk card game reminds me a lot of the blood bowl board game. The die rolls are super important and have high impact on every move in the game. The job of the player is to manipulate the impact in your favor by smartly using abilities and tactics to min/max the statistics that are stacked against you. It's a very unforgiving game with a low margin of error. But when I win I feel like I really earned it and that is super satisfying.

Mage Knight is really a love it or hate it. I don't disagree at all with people who do not like the game. It is somewhat bloated and there are a lot of rules that can be very confusing (like blocking vs armor and taking damage and then when you throw in unit and blocking efficiency the whole combat just seem convoluted). That said as Nicoga3000 mention, this is one game that warrant repeated plays. I remember finding the game to be impossible to win but after the third time I understand how and what you need to do and it since became my favorite solitaire game.

Look like CMON is again late with their delivery. For such a season company they sure are terrible at sticking to the time table. I can understand production hiccup but game like Xenoshyft which is just a card games that they already have V1, there really is no reason for delay after delay. It looks like the game probably won't be here until December. I am not sure how Dice Tower already review this game when the Kickstarter said they just now wrap up all the files and getting ready to print. (May be the expansions and promo stuffs). I have three other KS games and they all have no problem meeting deadline.

Someone mention earlier that they got Vinhos and Gallerist , how?!? I though they are not shipping it until October. (edit - I see that they are shipping out to people in Asia)

Mythos Tales should be here today and I am really excited, my daughter and niece love Sherlock Holms Consulting Detective.

I think its bloated, but do still like MK. But because of it's bloat, it's also a game I rarely get to ever play. KInda interested in the Star Trek version, not sure if it's gonna be much different though

Had a brilliant game of Arabian Nights last night. Lasted almost 4 hours as there were 5 of us, but everyone just accepted the random non-gamey nature of it and has a great time.

Have an all day event this Sunday too, so hopefully have a chance to get Panamax played again.

zulux21

just got an email update from amazon about a delivery estimate update
E6Od3sG.png

it's still buyable for $45 on amazon if anyone wants to hope that they can be included with the next shipment as it was temp out of stock when I ordered 11 days ago.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think its bloated, but do still like MK. But because of it's bloat, it's also a game I rarely get to ever play. KInda interested in the Star Trek version, not sure if it's gonna be much different though

The Star Trek version is apparently a good bunch easier and streamlines a lot of the little things. Someone on BGG did a comparison that's worth checking out.

It was a classic matchup between my co-worker's Wood Elves and my Orcs. Things appeared dim at first for the Wood Elves as they faced the green onslaught that was ready to bash some heads in front of them, but the Wood Elves' quick sprinting and ball movement provided with some key early victories that allowed the Wood Elves to flesh out their roster with a few more heavy hitters and nimble star players. The Orcs held their own with some brutal team upgrades that managed to sway some more fans to their orcish cause.

New to this season was the introduction of Contracts by the Team Manager's Union (TMU) -- this hidden payout would provide anywhere from 2-5 fans which would only be revealed at the end of the season.

Despite winning the Blood Bowl Tournament, the Orcs had amassed a measly 25 fans to the Wood Elves' 30 fans over the course of the season. Fortunately, the Orcs had targeted matchups with Contracts and had five Contracts to the Wood Elves' three. Revealing the Contracts, the Orcs added an additional 16 fans and the Elves added and extra 11 fans.

A TIE! 41 to 41. Comparing advancements, each team had 10. STILL A TIE! This must obviously be some sort of corruption within the league. Fans were about to revolt, cause the TMU to lose all credibility and disband the Union from future play.

But wait, there amongst the Elves still lounging on the pitch was dwarven star player Skuff Whitebeard. Raising his hand and a goblet of mead, he announced that he had yet to be counted amongst the Elven ranks. The Elven fans erupted in cheers and crowned the Wood Elves as the season champions.

Kicking their Goblin star player One Ear in disgust as they marched off the pitch, my Orcs would have to try harder next season.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
:lol
<3 blood bowl team manager. Haven't played it in years but I really need to bust it out again (probably play with everything but just remove the needlessly clunky ref from the last expansion).

Mr E.

My son and I played Eldritch Horror tonight, my first time. Really enjoying it. Half way through and we will finish off tomorrow night.

Could see me playing this again, leave your brain in the washing basket type of game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My son and I played Eldritch Horror tonight, my first time. Really enjoying it. Half way through and we will finish off tomorrow night.

Could see me playing this again, leave your brain in the washing basket type of game.
Not so fast! You'll still need that brain to remember all the corner-case-type rules and timing. (Not nearly as many as Arkham but still a healthy amount, especially with expansions.)

Mr E.

Not so fast! You'll still need that brain to remember all the corner-case-type rules and timing. (Not nearly as many as Arkham but still a healthy amount, especially with expansions.)
Hmm. We're playing against Altaroth or something. Seems fairly straight forward so far. The cards dictate what goes down. I would imagine there's some combos of cards that may throw up odd situations. We're fairly easy going. Those bloody Dark Pacts though lol.

zulux21

funigan games had a sale going on today. I picked up way to many games

was gonna get some tshirts and pathfinder cards and some plush but they went out of stock while I was ordering, though the shirts seem to be back in stock :/

it's still buyable for $45 on amazon if anyone wants to hope that they can be included with the next shipment as it was temp out of stock when I ordered 11 days ago.

Hm, that leaves me with a dilemma.

I already managed to find a copy at my local game store (where I have a standing 10% discount).

Do I cancel the Amazon order both to avoid spending the money and to free up a copy for someone else, or do I hold on to it with the intent of scalping it on eBay somewhere down the line?

So I got Don't mess with chtulhu or whatever it is to the family table.

I like it. Two of the games were really fast but it has a nice level of deception that builds as the game goes on. Inevitably the roles were discovered which led to actual teamwork and a bit of strategy. Not bad to get both in a quick package.

I would recommend it, but there is one issue...That issue is a blotch of colour they added to each card, different from each team that you can see on the top of the card when it is face down. It is very subtle so it isn't game breaking, but if you know what to look for or the tiles get a tiny bit scuffed it would be over.

So yeah, pretty bad choice there.

Vard

I'm thinking I need a 2nd copy of Karuba (put it all in one box though).

Anyone done this?
I had the same idea but haven't done it. I think it could all fit in one box. It is cool that the player count could scale so easily and make for a different kind of party game, although I imagine several people would tie each game (not necessarily for 1st place). Everyone I've played the game with has liked it so I think it would work out.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Opinions may differ a lot, but I think the general stereotype is that "Euro" games tend to:

• Be more focused on complex mechanics, less thematic (maybe there's a theme, but you're moving little wooden pieces around, instead of constantly reading flavor text on cards with pictures of Batman and Cthulhu)
  • Be more strategy-focused, less luck-based (not pure dice rolls etc.)
  • Have less player interaction (maybe you can block your opponent or get in their way, but not as much invade-and-crush wargame stuff)

I tend to like these aspects, but of course it depends on the game group.

I also tend to think of Euro games as generally being VP track dependent, where Ameritrash games are more player elimination/win condition dependent. Though, that line has been blurred more in recent years.

Some of the early hallmarks of the Euro game movement in the mid 90's - early 2000's was doing away with player elimination.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Mage Knight is really a love it or hate it. I don't disagree at all with people who do not like the game. It is somewhat bloated and there are a lot of rules that can be very confusing (like blocking vs armor and taking damage and then when you throw in unit and blocking efficiency the whole combat just seem convoluted). That said as Nicoga3000 mention, this is one game that warrant repeated plays. I remember finding the game to be impossible to win but after the third time I understand how and what you need to do and it since became my favorite solitaire game.

Look like CMON is again late with their delivery. For such a season company they sure are terrible at sticking to the time table. I can understand production hiccup but game like Xenoshyft which is just a card games that they already have V1, there really is no reason for delay after delay. It looks like the game probably won't be here until December. I am not sure how Dice Tower already review this game when the Kickstarter said they just now wrap up all the files and getting ready to print. (May be the expansions and promo stuffs). I have three other KS games and they all have no problem meeting deadline.

Someone mention earlier that they got Vinhos and Gallerist , how?!? I though they are not shipping it until October. (edit - I see that they are shipping out to people in Asia)

Mythos Tales should be here today and I am really excited, my daughter and niece love Sherlock Holms Consulting Detective.

I will say, most people not in the industry have no idea how often delays hit games that are totally 100% out of the control of the publisher. I have some absolutely insane stories of why games have been late, both from us and other publishers.

Remember, most of this stuff is printed remotely meaning no one from the publisher ever goes to see the manufacturing center. Lots and lots of trust involved in getting a game printed. I've visited 2 of our printers now and will probably check off at least 3 more next year. But that's the exception not the rule, and even then things happen.

Lots of times games are being "printed" at one factory while the dice, miniatures, wood and plastic pieces are coming from 4-5 different factories, and a hiccup in any of them causes a problem.

You can also get hand-cut copies of games early. I've got a proof copy of Starfall in hand right now, and that won't hit stores for another 6 weeks.

EYEL1NER

BattleCON Trials is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...on-trials-the-fighting-board-game/description
May 2017 delivery date, which Brad may be able to hit since he has scaled down the scope of promos and extras from previous campaigns. He addressed the extras after the last project and said that offering old promos and new promos, and offering old versions of the Dev Extended Edition by request, and all kinds of other things tailored to individual people caused a lot of grief and cost a lot of extra money when people inevitably got the wrong stuff.

$250,000 is the stretch goal to hit though: A custom big-box to hold all cards, with individual tuck boxes for all fighters. Trials already will have tuck boxes for the fighters included in it, but that storage solution is exactly what I need and I'll pay quite a bit for one once it is unlocked (hopefully it doesn't cost a ludicrous amount, but I'm willing to pay it regardless).

Keasar

BattleCON Trials is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...on-trials-the-fighting-board-game/description
May 2017 delivery date, which Brad may be able to hit since he has scaled down the scope of promos and extras from previous campaigns. He addressed the extras after the last project and said that offering old promos and new promos, and offering old versions of the Dev Extended Edition by request, and all kinds of other things tailored to individual people caused a lot of grief and cost a lot of extra money when people inevitably got the wrong stuff.

$250,000 is the stretch goal to hit though: A custom big-box to hold all cards, with individual tuck boxes for all fighters. Trials already will have tuck boxes for the fighters included in it, but that storage solution is exactly what I need and I'll pay quite a bit for one once it is unlocked (hopefully it doesn't cost a ludicrous amount, but I'm willing to pay it regardless).

They had a Collector Big Box in their War of Indines remake before at a goal of 300K and didn't manage to hit it. Which is sad, I wish they would place it lower and have it as a add-on cause I would definitely pay for proper tuck boxes for all the characters as finding a printing place here is hard. I hope they hit it this time.

EYEL1NER

They had a Collector Big Box in their War of Indines remake before at a goal of 300K and didn't manage to hit it. Which is sad, I wish they would place it lower and have it as a add-on cause I would definitely pay for proper tuck boxes for all the characters as finding a printing place here is hard. I hope they hit it this time.
Yeah, we didn't get it last time, but we did surpass (barely) $250K. And they did make one of the storage boxes as a tournament prize. I think we'll see it this time, but I could be wrong; the more stripped-down nature of the stretch goals and stuff could cause the campaign to not bring as much money in.

JSR_Cube

What's on everyone's upcoming radar? For me, it's:
- Cry Havoc (pre-ordered) (I'll give almost any area control a shot)
- Warriors of Middle Earth (pre-ordered) (already have everything else for WotR)
- Inis (pre-ordered) (see #1)

Then, after the pre-orders, I'm definitely looking into:
- Lorenzo il Magnifico (Marco Polo is probably my most played game this year)
- Great Western Trail (Mombasa is probably my second most played game this year)

I won't make it to Essen, so I'll just be getting the last two when I can.

I guess the Scythe expansion is also on my radar too. It wasn't a hit with my group. Not that we hated it but we have just enjoyed other games like those above and Mare Nostrum Empires more. Nobody seems to be asking to play Scythe again.

Same here. Playing it will be interesting. I just bought it because it was going to be discontinued, but I might like it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Junk Art is legit! Such a great game night game, especially if you remove the imo more boring and less-balanced (pun) Cities of Hometown & Amsterdam. Combining some light gaminess like drafting with just classic mechanics like stacking usually works out well for me, and it definitely does with Junk Art, my new favorite dexterity game.

- Warriors of Middle Earth (pre-ordered) (already have everything else for WotR)

- Great Western Trail (Mombasa is probably my second most played game this year)

I guess the Scythe expansion is also on my radar too. It wasn't a hit with my group. Not that we hated it but we have just enjoyed other games like those above and Mare Nostrum Empires more. Nobody seems to be asking to play Scythe again.
Ooh good question! I was actually looking at Essen hotness because I'll be at BGG.Con this year and you can order through funagain, but nothing super jumped out at me? In terms of stuff I have on preorder:

-Pandemic Cthulhu and Iberia (what can I say, I love Pandemic :p, and like TTR they haven't let me down yet -- except Rails & Sails TTR which I know to steer clear of)
-Arkham LCG (missed the boat on LOTR because I had never played an LCG before and was just getting into meaty board games in general when it came out, but I'm fully ready and excited for this)
-Mechs vs. Minions (game looks amazing to me -- I love RoboRally and co-ops and this seems to mash everything together quite well for a fantastic price)
-Legendary: Aliens expansion (feels like UD has been really falling off a cliff art-wise with Firefly and BTILC but their gameplay seems as good as ever; this is probably one of my top 30 games of all time so no-brainer to get the xpac)
-Pandemic: The Cure expansion (told you I love Pandemic! actually prefer The Cure to base Pandemic nowadays so really excited for this)

I'll also keep an eye on the various crazy euros coming out of Essen. Feast for Odin looks interesting, but brutally complex. Feel like maybe Rosenberg has passed me by in terms of length and complexity I'm looking for out of a Euro anymore. Feld is just right in that sweet spot. But I'll still keep a close eye out for this or others and do plan to pick up one crunchy Euro this year.

I will say, most people not in the industry have no idea how often delays hit games that are totally 100% out of the control of the publisher. I have some absolutely insane stories of why games have been late, both from us and other publishers.

Remember, most of this stuff is printed remotely meaning no one from the publisher ever goes to see the manufacturing center. Lots and lots of trust involved in getting a game printed. I've visited 2 of our printers now and will probably check off at least 3 more next year. But that's the exception not the rule, and even then things happen.

Lots of times games are being "printed" at one factory while the dice, miniatures, wood and plastic pieces are coming from 4-5 different factories, and a hiccup in any of them causes a problem.

You can also get hand-cut copies of games early. I've got a proof copy of Starfall in hand right now, and that won't hit stores for another 6 weeks.

I perfectly understand that there can be thing that are out of publisher control (like the shipping problem of Hanjin) and I am all for giving publishers leeway. However I felt CMON is pretty much abusing the trust and their fans and KS model in general. They set unrealistic date that they probably knew full well that they will never meet. Kickstarter for them at this point is just to raise capital and get the game pre-order with money up-front from customers.

So here is why I am having more and more problem with CMON. I got Scythe which all can agree is a pretty hefty production arrived way earlier than promise date (an excellent game beside having stellar components and box!) , 8th Summit Mythos Tales came this week also a month early, Vinhos is shipping on schedule so and the two other games from much smaller publishers I backed also set to ship next week (Tesla VS Edison and Tiny Epic Western). The differences really is that these other company do care about what they promise and try to set realistic time while CMON on the other hands make the fulfillment date arbitrary near so that they would get more funding but knowing full well they never intend to keep any of their datelines. I have yet to get a single game from CMON that ship on time let alone less than 2-3 months behind. B-Seiged was 4 months late and arrived with game that definitely under-cook, Zombicide BP was 6 months late, the Others was the same (6 months late) and the one game I was sure they could at least come close was Xenoshyft and that is now going to be at least 2 months (who know if they will come up with excuse and delay it until next year and I wouldn't be surprise at this point).

Definitely Cry Havoc, Inis, Great Western Trail, and the Scythe expac for me. I'm also regretting I didn't pre-order Terraforming Mars because I'm hearing fantastic things about it.

Of course Oracle of Delphi and A Feast for Odin, but I'll probably just end up buying them sight unseen when they get published by a western company. A few expansions coming from Essen I'm excited for are the ones for Alchemists, Targi, and Russian Railroads.

The the ones I'm most interested in for the reminder of the year are:

Railroad Revolution: I'm always interested in the game What's Your Games puts out.
Mechs vs Minions: It's a LoL based board game, how can I say no?
Lorenzo Magnifico: I enjoyed Marco Polo, but the dice gives me the sense of Bora Bora which is my favorite Feld.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Upon watching more stuff and reading more about Massive Darkness, I'm happy I backed it. It seems like a pretty simple dungeon kill fest. I just need to decide if I'll get anything else with my pledge manager.

Karkador

Banned
Oooh, I didn't know an expansion to Pandemic: The Cure was coming. Adding!

Here's what's coming for me:

Fearsome Floors just came in recently and I have yet to crack the plastic. I love Friedemann Friese games, and I'm looking forward to getting this out for Halloween.

Pandemic Iberia is supposedly releasing in October, happy to have it pre-ordered.

Pandemic: The Cure - Experimental Meds - No idea when it's coming out, but the base game really needs an expansion.

Burgle Bros is getting an October reprint, of which I'm preordered. Happy to finally try this out, as it seems like the unofficial third member of the Forbidden Island/Desert family.

Hostage Negotiator Crime Wave comes out in March - boo - but I still have a lot of challenges left in the base game.

Imperial Struggle is coming in like a year, lol. My P500 pledge is in.

elyetis

Same here.
go7gaming Insert seemed like a okay solution, but importing it to europe is sooo overpriced just for an insert; but I'm more than willing to put good money for a box for all cards + tuck boxes.

Phthisis

Arkham Horror LCG - would really like to give it a try and am hoping this is the co-op card game I have been looking for (LOTR is fine, but it's not my favorite).

Labyrinth: The Awakening - love Labyrinth. Very nuanced, complex game, and the expansion that covers the events in the war on terror from 2010 onwards should be a very educational and compelling play.

Hands in the Sea - just need to sleeve the cards. I really like A Few Acres of Snow, and am excited to see the next implementation of that system, especially applied to the Punic Wars.

zulux21

Same here. Playing it will be interesting. I just bought it because it was going to be discontinued, but I might like it.

yeah I bought the co op games because they are getting discontinued.

I will eventually try them
and if I hate them well ideally they will have tripled in price and I can trade for something more interesting :p

fenners

Man, so bummed about Robinson Crusoe, I bought the game like three years ago and haven't played it yet! At least I can download the new rulebook and play with my version I assume.

If I already owned the old version, I don't think that I would regret having it and want to upgrade. If I had the old version for a while, I would have already picked up Kong Island. The shaped resources are nice I guess but I don't mind cubes (I actually kind of dislike bits that are shaped like food or animals, if I can be honest. Wooden cubes or plastic minis for me). The rule book will be available and any old rule disputes were bound to have been answered already.
Yeah, seeing the new version wouldn't have made me bummed about having the old one, but I've been waiting for the new one and it looks like the best version for someone wanting it at this moment, so I'm pumped to get it.

BTW, Portal have changed their minds and will offer a partial upgrade kit for owners of the previous editions of Robinson Crusoe. Good to see them support owners of this game that's been relatively expensive in the past.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1642775/robinson-crusoe-upgrade-kit

No card reprints, but you'll get the rules/wooden pieces/King Kong promo/stickers. Going to be $20 from Portal's site.

yeah I bought the co op games because they are getting discontinued.

I will eventually try them
and if I hate them well ideally they will have tripled in price and I can trade for something more interesting :p
Which other games should I purchase from them that are going to be discontinued? Fury of Dracula was the obvious one to get, right?

Forfeited my first game of SH: Death Angel to make a better team and then was slaughtered during the second. Made it to the third location at least. :( I'm convinced my die is unbalanced. It rolls the same number twice more than I think is ideal.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SU&SD had a pretty entertaining feature on "A Day in the Life of Quinns' Game Collection," especially focused on culling down and trying to keep things ~100 games or so because "I could get a third set of shelves and make room for more games, but what would the point be? 100 games is already too many. If I played a different one each week for two years I&#8217;d have only played each game once. Once! In two years! That&#8217;s no way to live. I&#8217;m envious of people who get to luxuriate in a single game, as I expressed in our Concordia review. I bet I could cut these two sets of shelves down to one and be just as happy." I used to totally have this view but then after I quit Netrunner decided to really dedicate myself to playing tons of different games with tons of different people, and already this year I'm over 100 unique games played (103 to be exact ;P). When the BGG 10x10 list came out I was really into that idea that it's best to dive deep on a few games, but then I had one miserable(ish; it wasn't that bad) evening trying to bang through 10x10 games and just bailed on the concept altogether. Have greatly enjoyed bouncing around between different titles, genres, and people since.

Forfeited my first game of SH: Death Angel to make a better team and then was slaughtered during the second. Made it to the third location at least. :( I'm convinced my die is unbalanced. It rolls the same number twice more than I think is ideal.

You could always just swap in a D6 pretty easily. It was interesting what you said about four marines being easier than six. I've won about half the time with four (2P), but haven't played with six yet.

BTW, Portal have changed their minds and will offer a partial upgrade kit for owners of the previous editions of Robinson Crusoe. Good to see them support owners of this game that's been relatively expensive in the past.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1642775/robinson-crusoe-upgrade-kit

No card reprints, but you'll get the rules/wooden pieces/King Kong promo/stickers. Going to be $20 from Portal's site.

I asked them on Twitter and he said there will be upgrade but if it's just a partial one, I might as well just buy a new game. It's going to be probably $40 for one on CSI or MM. the wooden pieces I can do without and I already have the King Kong expansion and all the pawn stickers, the only that matter but they are not going to provide are the new encounter tokens and update cards.

It's funny to me that the first expansion with genestealers is like "need more of a challenge in your death angel?!?". No. No, I really do not.

You could always just swap in a D6 pretty easily. It was interesting what you said about four marines being easier than six. I've won about half the time with four (2P), but haven't played with six yet.
After not-so-scientific methods I have determined the SH: DA d6 is crap. (Mine anyway.) This makes me question how good the dice for my other FFG games are. I bet Star Wars Destiny is going to be great.

When you say four, do you mean four teams or four marines? I've been playing with three teams per the official solo rules.

Anyone know where I can get good dice?

Top Bottom