• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Fishlake

I know the new MtG is largely the same game and I so wanted to get into it but the main people I play board games with couldn't stand the swingy nature of combat. Or should I say random?

Anyways, I had to get rid of it so I am jealous you can lay it with someone.

What really keeps me away from the Mtg game and other miniatures is the idea of painting figures. I don't why but I just dislike the idea so Heroscape is the only miniature board game I ever got into.

Sorry you had to get rid of it hopefully you were able to sell it for a good price.

Experien

What really keeps me away from the Mtg game and other miniatures is the idea of painting figures. I don't why but I just dislike the idea so Heroscape is the only miniature board game I ever got into.

Sorry you had to get rid of it hopefully you were able to sell it for a good price.

MtG has painted figures...at least the planeswalkers. I didn't get a good price and ended up giving it to an old friend.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up MoM Call of the Wild today. The price was going to be the same as the 2nd edition expansion so I got it (already had Forbidden Alchemy).

I started painting the minis too. First time doing humanoids'. Pretty fun painting actually!

Fishlake

MtG has painted figures...at least the planeswalkers. I didn't get a good price and ended up giving it to an old friend.

That was nice of you hopefully you can meet with your friend one day and play it. This will be the first time in years that I've set it up.

If mtg had included better land I would have definitely picked it up. It was the board that made me try Heroscape not the figures. So because of that I have 1 of every large expansions except for the Marvell one.

I have really few squads in comparison to heroes as well since to allow more friends to try out new figures. I do wish I had gone for some more squads there are so many I would have liked to try.

My house growing up was the one everyone came over to so I tended to prioritize things that allowed more people to join in.

Picked up MoM Call of the Wild today. The price was going to be the same as the 2nd edition expansion so I got it (already had Forbidden Alchemy).

I started painting the minis too. First time doing humanoids'. Pretty fun painting actually!

Post them to you Instagram account, I want to see it. I don't think I will ever paint the mini from MoM, I decided to just use the cardboard tokens.

I played the first scenario solo last week and it was very good as solo experience also. I was really surprise how difference the game playout compare to the first game and people worry about replay ability should not be.

I also got the Others 7 Sins to the table this past weekend and I really enjoy it. My daughter feel the FAITH players turn was a little repetitive and too much luck. (I think she is becoming a Euro snob that has a disdain for dice rolling). I really like how the Sins player turn and it is probably a more enjoyable one vs many board game. My brother in law and I also got in a quick game of Blood Bowl Team Manager. It reminded me a bit of Conquest LCG. It was really fun but as a 2 players game, run away leader seems to be a problem with that player count. The game was still very fun and I really like the 'cheating' mechanic.

I stop by local Barnes and Noble here and didn't expect them to have anything left but I found Roll for the Galaxy, Castle of Mad King (a little beat up) and stack of Five Tribes. I got them all for under $80.00 ( Five Tribes was discounted to $21.98 after coupon and membership). I didn't know Five Tribes is essentially Mancala with meeples, I would have pick it up long ago for my wife.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Post them to you Instagram account, I want to see it. I don't think I will ever paint the mini from MoM, I decided to just use the cardboard tokens.

I played the first scenario solo last week and it was very good as solo experience also. I was really surprise how difference the game playout compare to the first game and people worry about replay ability should not be.

Will do. I've played the first three scenarios solo and have had a blast. Might use 4 investigators next time.

They must have had a lot of stock as this game definitely is still bouncing around while a lot of the other stuff is super marked-up or ebay-only.

It was relatively new release, lot of distributors had lot of stock still in warehouses. Most of the rest of the GW products were out of print for a while now

Blizzard

Banned

I also got the Others 7 Sins to the table this past weekend and I really enjoy it. My daughter feel the FAITH players turn was a little repetitive and too much luck. (I think she is becoming a Euro snob that has a disdain for dice rolling). I really like how the Sins player turn and it is probably a more enjoyable one vs many board game. My brother in law and I also got in a quick game of Blood Bowl Team Manager. It reminded me a bit of Conquest LCG. It was really fun but as a 2 players game, run away leader seems to be a problem with that player count. The game was still very fun and I really like the 'cheating' mechanic.

I stop by local Barnes and Noble here and didn't expect them to have anything left but I found Roll for the Galaxy, Castle of Mad King (a little beat up) and stack of Five Tribes. I got them all for under $80.00 ( Five Tribes was discounted to $21.98 after coupon and membership). I didn't know Five Tribes is essentially Mancala with meeples, I would have pick it up long ago for my wife.
I'm so proud of your daughter. I've become a bit of a euro snob myself, and I tend to prefer wooden pieces over fancy minis. :p

I knew to keep my expectations lowered for the quality of FFG's print on demand items but woof. The packaging is awful. How could they be so cheap as to not shrink wrap the cards??

EYEL1NER

I knew to keep my expectations lowered for the quality of FFG's print on demand items but woof. The packaging is awful. How could they be so cheap as to not shrink wrap the cards??
Most of their PoD stuff that I have seen or own (Gears of War mission pack, Death Angel mission packs, Warhammer Quest ACG characters) have all been in clamshells and didn't really need to be shrink wrapped. Did you have an issue with something you bought?

They are print on demand which meant they got print using basically by machine similar in quality to what you would get at Kinkos. The cards are cut and then package into clamshell. I don't know why you would want shrink wrap. I personally hate having to remove shrink wrap every time I got a new board game with cards.

Most of their PoD stuff that I have seen or own (Gears of War mission pack, Death Angel mission packs, Warhammer Quest ACG characters) have all been in clamshells and didn't really need to be shrink wrapped. Did you have an issue with something you bought?
They are print on demand which meant they got print using basically by machine similar in quality to what you would get at Kinkos. The cards are cut and then package into clamshell. I don't know why you would want shrink wrap. I personally hate having to remove shrink wrap every time I got a new board game with cards.
I got the expansions for Warhammer Quest ACG and the cards have wear from shifting around in the plastic. Also some of the cards are warped.

EYEL1NER

I got the expansions for Warhammer Quest ACG and the cards have wear from shifting around in the plastic. Also some of the cards are warped.
Oh, sorry to hear that. I don't know if that is a common occurrence but I just got both Warhammer Quest ACG characters in today with a big CardHaus order and there aren't any issues with the cards. I would say to contact FFG and see if you could get some new cards, but they may not be printing anymore because of the impending license loss.

They released the full rulebook. Over 1500 cards. 52 pages of rules. That one is goong to be some shit.

Wow. I kinda just blind-backed this because of Rahdo and I backed his Forge War kickstarter before and enjoyed that. But this is crazy. 200+ monster standees too? This game is going to be nuts. I need to stop with the giant solo/co-op campaign games. With just this, 7th Continent, and Kingdom Death: Monster, I've got so much to play.

Faiz

They must have had a lot of stock as this game definitely is still bouncing around while a lot of the other stuff is super marked-up or ebay-only.

Yeah I had a limited amount of money to spend in the short term and made the choice for FOD, but looking back on it I should have got Chaos in the Old World first and FOD may have lasted till payday. Oh well!

FFG's front page is currently 6 Star Wars games and an ad for Arkham nights. It's kind of depressing. I really hope they start putting out some new IPs and other games soon. All Star Wars and Arkham makes me something something...

FFG's front page is currently 6 Star Wars games and an ad for Arkham nights. It's kind of depressing. I really hope they start putting out some new IPs and other games soon. All Star Wars and Arkham makes me something something...
I'm really looking forward to the new Arkham LCG, but I get where you are coming from. The Android Universe is getting a new game soon, so there is that.

All I could want from Star Wars and FFG is a land based X-Wing style game, with AT-AT's, AT-STs, etc. Have giant ground battles with little figs, maybe make it compatible with X-Wing figs too.... that would be amazing. But otherwise really think they have tapped out the IP already.

And frankly sick of Arkham stuff, they put out some great games, but really tired of the similar themes passed around and constant reuse of the same art assets.

Draxal

FFG has four that all their ameritrash games are based on.

Akrham; Terrinoth; Star Wars; and Android.

Makes sense as they can reuse all those art assets.

Bulk_Rate

Got to play 4 v 4 Captain Sonar. That game is the real deal.

I played a few times this weekend but we were only playing turn-based as we kept getting new people and they needed to learn the rules. By the time we were ready for 4v4 Real Time, too many of us were drunk. Definitely #1 on the agenda next game-fest for me and my friends.

DId you run into any trouble with teams moving too fast ie before 1st officer and engineer had marked off resources and said "East Aye" etc. ?

Loved the limited experience I had with it!

Neverfade

Probably being rethemed into Star Wars

The only problem with that is that there's only 3 factions anyone gives a shit about in SW.

Can't make that Forbidden Stars retheme with 3! (I'm not getting stuck with the 'Trade Federation' haha)

Also TI universe has nearly perfect analogous races already if they wanted to retheme Conquest. (Keep the dream alive!)

ultron87

I played a few times this weekend but we were only playing turn-based as we kept getting new people and they needed to learn the rules. By the time we were ready for 4v4 Real Time, too many of us were drunk. Definitely #1 on the agenda next game-fest for me and my friends.

DId you run into any trouble with teams moving too fast ie before 1st officer and engineer had marked off resources and said "East Aye" etc. ?

Loved the limited experience I had with it!

We decided to just jump right into real time mode with new players and it worked decently. I think you can somewhat safely have new people play the non-Captain roles and they'll be fine in real time if they're at all game savvy. Especially first mate.

I don't think we had any troubles with the fast moves. The other team was moving pretty fast but swore they were accurately marking their engineering/first mate stuff. They quickly locked in on being able to go in the patterns that clear engineering a lot.

The one stumbling block we ran into was premature calls of STOP to activate systems that they couldn't actually activate because of engineering. There isn't actually a penalty for that in the rules, but next time I play I'll probably institute a penalty I read on BGG that is discharging the gauge for the system you try to activate even if the system is broken.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Makes sense as they can reuse all those art assets.

Yeah as a big FFG fanboy in terms of my purchasing habits, this is actually the corniest part of the whole thing. I think the Arkham and Android universes are pretty great even if they're not original (Arkham being Lovecraft and Android being cyberpunk copypasta at their cores -- though huge credit to FFG art dept. for really giving them their own identity), but the reused art -- UGH! Slays me and like I said earlier is a big reason I stayed away from Mansions of Madness. Maybe it's not a problem for most people because they only buy into one of these games, but I really like almost all their Arkham games so it kind of takes you out of it to see the same art again and again and again. Small blessings I guess that I don't find any of their Android games outside of Netrunner and Infiltration (where there isn't much art overlap) very interesting.

For Star Wars at least they keep pumping out new artwork for it while reusing some assets, but we are seeing alot of reuse. With Arkham it's gotten kinda bad, seeing the same art over and over again that they had on their CCG cards over 10 years ago

Bulk_Rate

We decided to just jump right into real time mode with new players and it worked decently. I think you can somewhat safely have new people play the non-Captain roles and they'll be fine in real time if they're at all game savvy. Especially first mate.

I don't think we had any troubles with the fast moves. The other team was moving pretty fast but swore they were accurately marking their engineering/first mate stuff. They quickly locked in on being able to go in the patterns that clear engineering a lot.

The one stumbling block we ran into was premature calls of STOP to activate systems that they couldn't actually activate because of engineering. There isn't actually a penalty for that in the rules, but next time I play I'll probably institute a penalty I read on BGG that is discharging the gauge for the system you try to activate even if the system is broken.

That rule sounds awesome, will file that away. Thanks.

Draxal

Yeah as a big FFG fanboy in terms of my purchasing habits, this is actually the corniest part of the whole thing. I think the Arkham and Android universes are pretty great even if they're not original (Arkham being Lovecraft and Android being cyberpunk copypasta at their cores -- though huge credit to FFG art dept. for really giving them their own identity), but the reused art -- UGH! Slays me and like I said earlier is a big reason I stayed away from Mansions of Madness. Maybe it's not a problem for most people because they only buy into one of these games, but I really like almost all their Arkham games so it kind of takes you out of it to see the same art again and again and again. Small blessings I guess that I don't find any of their Android games outside of Netrunner and Infiltration (where there isn't much art overlap) very interesting.

Well, to be honest I think FFG's art is very good, and they do a very strong job of being internally consistent which is huge pet peeve of mine (so I don't mind "bad art" games like Original Ascension or Sentinels of the Multiverse as they are very internally consistent). However, I thinkt that results in output not being up to keep up with the rate of stuff that they need to publish.

I guess its pick your poison, and the poison they picked is the one that is most palatable to me.

For Star Wars at least they keep pumping out new artwork for it while reusing some assets, but we are seeing alot of reuse. With Arkham it's gotten kinda bad, seeing the same art over and over again that they had on their CCG cards over 10 years ago

I would rather see good arts get reused than seeing new bad arts or worst yet horrible arts like those in Legendary. All their arts are consistence and while they use multiples artists they are keep the same feels. For someone who are deep in all their Star Wars games I can see where you are coming from but I was glad that they reuse the arts for the Warhammer games because I would never have seen them as I never got into Invasion or any of their older stuffs.

I would rather see good arts get reused than seeing new bad arts or worst yet horrible arts like those in Legendary. All their arts are consistence and while they use multiples artists they are keep the same feels. For someone who are deep in all their Star Wars games I can see where you are coming from but I was glad that they reuse the arts for the Warhammer games because I would never have seen them as I never got into Invasion or any of their older stuffs.

Alot of their Warhammer art was actually GW original art that was provided to FFG for use. Some ancient pieces were used for some of the Warhammer products along with new FFG produced stuff too. They had decades worth of art they used and made new stuff, so it often felt fairly fresh.

Resistance is $8.19 on Amazon right now. Dominion for $26.49 as well. Mage Knight $61.

Man, I have bought way too many games lately. It's a hell of a lot easier to hide new video games vs new board games from the wife, lol!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

So I'm not saying they should never reuse, just maybe we could draw some lines like maybe only reuse art twice at most. Or have a game be at least half new art. It also kinda screws the artists too to just reuse their stuff under I'm sure contracts where they aren't seeing much if anything for the reuse, instead of commissioning new stuff.

EYEL1NER

Resistance is $8.19 on Amazon right now. Dominion for $26.49 as well. Mage Knight $61.

Man, I have bought way too many games lately. It's a hell of a lot easier to hide new video games vs new board games from the wife, lol!
Truth.

After learning Dominion last week and then not getting to play it, I kind of want to buy it. I told myself a while back though that I would get it from a GeekAuction for $15 to $20, or buy a lot listing with multiple expansions. That isn't an unobtainable price, but I've just never gotten around to pulling the trigger on it. I guess I'll keep holding out.

EYEL1NER

I was happy when those three Kickstarter games showed up last week; it put a dent into what I am waiting on. I haven't wanted to back much of anything recently, so I thought I was doing well. Then the Heroes of Normandie: Tactical Card Game goes live today to tempt me. I love the HoN art and those cards look good. It reminds me a bit of Airborne in your Pocket too. But there were quite a bit of errors in the first printing of HoN. We'll see if I can resist; the "game + expansion + SG" pledge tier doesn't seem like a huge amount of money.

Keasar

Anyone know any online retailer in Europe that are still selling the Death Angel expansions for a not super high price? They seem to have run out at local shops and Amazon wants 50 euros for the Tyranid pack. :(

Top Bottom