• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Protome

Apparently an App version of Paperback came out today. I love that game, so I hope it translates well. It certainly looks pretty.

emag

Apparently an App version of Paperback came out today. I love that game, so I hope it translates well. It certainly looks pretty.

Cross-post from the digital boardgames thread:

I picked up the Paperback app and find it enjoyable, particularly on iPad (the cards are bit too small on iPhone). I hope that the app is updated to better explain the rules -- I've never played the physical game nor read the rulebook -- as I'm still confused about a few things e.g., I can sometimes buy a card with a higher cost than the score I've generated that turn (the score will go momentarily negative when I buy a card this way), but I'm not sure if this is some unexplained mechanic or a glitch.

EDIT: Also, how do you trash cards for the "If you trash a card, gain a card of that value +X cents" ability?

zulux21

Yeah definitely. Can't imagine playing those later expansions in paper, unless it was only with super experienced Ascension players. I played a game on the app with the "Dawn of Champions" set yesterday and there was so much stuff going on with every card I bought. (I had some heinous combos with the card that makes every construct every type, so a lot of things were happening.) Can't imagine keeping track of it all without the app or properly adjudicating that another player was doing everything correctly.

I really just use the app for dunking on the AI and watching my deck's engine run and draw a hundred cards.

yeah i think it's dawn that introduces all the chaining with other cards.

the end result of which tends to be that I play like 20 cards a turn and buy like 8 cards a turn ect.

heck with the right deck you play your entire deck each turn for the last 1-2 turns @_@

on of the games I had every single card in my deck in play, and had managed to buy every single card you could possibly buy though a weird combo that kept giving me buy and attack and allowing me to use one as the other...

not to say those aren't fun. I just can't ever imagine playing such a set physically.

EYEL1NER

So no Secret Hitler, Codex, or any other games tonight. I went to the store and no one else showed up. I guess MtG Drafts are going to also start happening on Tuesdays and last week when the store was packed, one was going on when we were playing tabletop games. One guy showed up for the draft tonight. So last week must have been a crazy fluke.

One of the guys that plays every week but was running the store tonight said he wants me to go talk to the gaming group at the local satellite university campus, since I guess I have more games than anyone he knows and am pretty knowledgeable about the hobby. Apparently there are like 40 people in this official gaming group: people who play video games, MtG or Pokemon fans, RPG fans, and more. But none of them bother to go anywhere in town to play and supposedly do the bare minimum as far as volunteering in the local community to meet whatever requirements the club's charter outlines. He said he'd get me a guest pass to go talk to them and try to encourage them to attend game nights, but I don't know. I guess some room in one of the campus facilities is the club's "game room" that is filled with consoles and TVs and stuff, and he said he gets the impression that a lot of people join the club so they can get access to that room and play in it, not joining to partake in club activities. So we'll see. Maybe I can persuade a couple people to check it out.

Brad just posted an update on the BattleCON: Trials Kickstarter. It seems like League Play is starting up next week. More details to come but people can apply to host league events, up to once a week. Results from any games can be logged on the battleconnection site and will gain you points, which then get you promos and stuff at the end of the season. I am definitely going to check out the info regarding it when it all gets released, but I am the only guy within like 100 miles who even knows what the game is, so I probably won't be able to partake. I could host events, but I'd be the only person there. Hell, when I would go to the store to play against the guy that I got to play twice with me before moving, I would set up at a table while waiting for him and spend an hour just sorting cards or looking at moves or whatever, and not a single MtG/CFV/Pokemon card player would come up to check it out or show any interest.
It would be nice to get cool promos or playmats or other exclusives...

Protome

Cross-post from the digital boardgames thread:

I picked up the Paperback app and find it enjoyable, particularly on iPad (the cards are bit too small on iPhone). I hope that the app is updated to better explain the rules -- I've never played the physical game nor read the rulebook -- as I'm still confused about a few things e.g., I can sometimes buy a card with a higher cost than the score I've generated that turn (the score will go momentarily negative when I buy a card this way), but I'm not sure if this is some unexplained mechanic or a glitch.

EDIT: Also, how do you trash cards for the "If you trash a card, gain a card of that value +X cents" ability?
That sounds like a glitch but i'm not too sure, maybe it is a mechanic that needs explained. I've certainly never played the physical game with a rule that lets you go into negative cost to buy things.

Not sure about how you trash things either, the game definitely needs some Rule/Control explanations. Trashing means you're removing the card from the game entirely but I don't see a trash pile in the app :S

Edit: I see someone explained in the other thread.

yeah i think it's dawn that introduces all the chaining with other cards.

the end result of which tends to be that I play like 20 cards a turn and buy like 8 cards a turn ect.

heck with the right deck you play your entire deck each turn for the last 1-2 turns @

on of the games I had every single card in my deck in play, and had managed to buy every single card you could possibly buy though a weird combo that kept giving me buy and attack and allowing me to use one as the other...

not to say those aren't fun. I just can't ever imagine playing such a set physically.

If you add in promos to the Ascension app, you can break the game. I've gotten to a point where I've reached over 2000 battle points and essentially crashed the game because it probably couldn't handle checking all of the cards I've already played or something.

And Deck-Building! It's one of my favorite mechanisms. I'll second some of those suggested here already and add some of my own:

Star Realms: Fast, quick, best as a 2 player game.
Trains: The board aspect is a nice add over base Dominion.
Rococo: Yeah, it's about making dresses and stuff, but it's a really solid Euro with a lot to think about.
Naruto Deck Building Game: I know you already have DC, but Naruto's probably got the best mechanisms added to it. I'm not a fan of the show at all, but the added Chakra points and positive Attacks are really cool additions.
Orleans: It's a bag-builder, but it's another fine Euro game. Efficiency here is extremely important.
Draconis: This just got shipped to kickstarter backers, so I don't know if you'll be able to get a hold of it, but it's a deck builder in the sense of Thunderstone Advance, but I think it flows better.
Concordia: This and Rococo are probably my favorites of the ones I mentioned. Granted, I tend towards playing Euro games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Speaking of deckbuilders, I really like Trains but have a hard time getting it to the table. For some reason I think people are intimidated by the multiple elements (deckbuilding + board scoring basically) even though at its heart it's probably a light mediumweight game at most. Same goes for Automobiles actually (bagbuilder), which is actually a really fun race game but just has that bit of a teaching/learning hump.

Karkador

Banned
Trains is pretty much a straight clone of Dominion. I like the theme (spoken as a fan of A-Train sim games), but I feel like the board doesn't add enough to the game to really justify the added baggage.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
My friends and I finished Time Stories: Prophecy of Dragons last night. It was fun, but there are a lot of challenges with annoyingly strict rules. It was more combat-heavy than The Asylum and there are some interesting gameplay changes, but I enjoyed the atmosphere and mystery of the base game much more.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Trains is pretty much a straight clone of Dominion. I like the theme (spoken as a fan of A-Train sim games), but I feel like the board doesn't add enough to the game to really justify the added baggage.

For me the board, waste, and other layers make it really interesting especially at the right player counts for given maps. There's a lot more interactivity when you're on a tight map, for starters, in addition to all the new mechanics. But yes the core is pretty similar.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Regarding the deckbuilding discussion: I didnt see anyone mention Arctic Scavengers yet? Is that game not too well known? Its by far the best deck building game I have played so far.

Karkador

Banned
I've played Arctic Scavengers once or twice. It was pretty good, I think. The only thing I really remembered about it was the battles you have for resources, and the items you could win from that made the game a bit swingy

Regarding the deckbuilding discussion: I didnt see anyone mention Arctic Scavengers yet? Is that game not too well known? Its by far the best deck building game I have played so far.

Completely forgot about Arctic Scavengers! Maybe because I haven't gotten it to the table yet, though I ran through a fake 2-player game with myself. I see it has a lot of potential. Adds a bluffing element to things. Really, quite solid from what I've seen. I do need to get around to playing it.

Phthisis

Speaking of deckbuilders, I really like Trains but have a hard time getting it to the table. For some reason I think people are intimidated by the multiple elements (deckbuilding + board scoring basically) even though at its heart it's probably a light mediumweight game at most. Same goes for Automobiles actually (bagbuilder), which is actually a really fun race game but just has that bit of a teaching/learning hump.

Have you played Tyrants of the Underdark yet? Everyone I know who likes Trains likes it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I've played Arctic Scavengers once or twice. It was pretty good, I think. The only thing I really remembered about it was the battles you have for resources, and the items you could win from that made the game a bit swingy

Completely forgot about Arctic Scavengers! Maybe because I haven't gotten it to the table yet, though I ran through a fake 2-player game with myself. I see it has a lot of potential. Adds a bluffing element to things. Really, quite solid from what I've seen. I do need to get around to playing it.

Most deck builders feel a bit too static for me with not much variety, despite different setups, not enough player interaction and most cards not offering a very interesting choice. In Dominion or Ascension for example, the question is mostly only about which card to buy, but not what to do with the cards you draft. If you get a resource/money card, you'll use it for resources/money. In Arctic Scavenger however, even the most basic cards will already give you tons of possibility and flexibility for what to use them and due to the bluffing nature, it is never 100% sure which move will be the right move.

Sure, Arctic Scavenger becomes a more unpredictable than other Deck Builders, but its also the reason why it feels genuinely exciting to play for me as there are multiple different ways actions can surprise you.

One thing though: if you play the game in the basic version, the beginning can be very random and does not feel fair. There are some more mechanics and other things from the expansions / Extended game version, but you need, need, need, need, NEED to play with the medic cards added to the card setup (First expansion).

Iced

Will likely be receiving BattleCON: Devastation of Indines via a trade soon (giving up Blood Rage for it, since the theme of the game just didn't really hold my interest). I've seen a couple people gushing over the game in this thread. Hoping my fiancee likes it!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'll definitely try out Tyrants of the Underdark given all the positive impressions. Probably at BGG.Con since I'm kinda full up on deckbuilders right now (~3 full shelves).

One thing though: if you play the game in the basic version, the beginning can be very random and does not feel fair. There are some more mechanics and other things from the expansions / Extended game version, but you need, need, need, need, NEED to play with the medic cards added to the card setup (First expansion).
Actually didn't enjoy my one playthrough of Arctic Scavengers at all, and maybe this was the reason.

Toma

I'll definitely try out Tyrants of the Underdark given all the positive impressions. Probably at BGG.Con since I'm kinda full up on deckbuilders right now (~3 full shelves).

Actually didn't enjoy my one playthrough of Arctic Scavengers at all, and maybe this was the reason.

Yeah, we played without any expansion at first as well and were a bit lukewarm. Our biggest issue was how random the medicine was, which massively impacted the rest of the game. The medic card is a very simple solution that fixed the issue.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
A new big box Eldritch Horror got announced: The Dreamland. I still haven't got one of the other big boxes. I need to bring out Eldritch sometime. Mansions 2E has been getting lots of play which is great.

Arctic Scavengers is amazing. I love it but it doesn't get talked about much on GAF.

Aldo, if you're into deck builders, check out Dale of Merchants. Really fun with great art.

A new big box Eldritch Horror got announced: The Dreamland. I still haven't got one of the other big boxes. I need to bring out Eldritch sometime. Mansions 2E has been getting lots of play which is great.

Oh cool. I have the arctic expansion and the first two little boxes, but I haven't gotten around to Under the Pyramids or Signs of Carcosa yet.

There's still a small part of me that hopes they find some way to release a "Masks of Nyarlathotep" campaign.

Started a new campaign on road to legend and lost because our warrior couldn't tank worth shit and kept dieing.

Jose, if you're reading this. Thanks. You fucking suck. Lol.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh cool. I have the arctic expansion and the first two little boxes, but I haven't gotten around to Under the Pyramids or Signs of Carcosa yet.

There's still a small part of me that hopes they find some way to release a "Masks of Nyarlathotep" campaign.
I was gonna try the Arctic one tomorrow, but then couldn't be bothered to figure out precisely how to integrate it with the first two expansions (which is my current game state) so just going to play a new Ancient One instead (we have a couple left to try out). Rules are really simple but figuring out precisely which decks to use and which Preludes and stuff...too late in the evening for that when I haven't even punched it yet. :p

emag

More than one player suggested me to try Valle[y] of Kings, from AEG.

Any advice about it?

Valley of the Kings is an inexpensive, small-box deck builder with an Ancient Egypt theme. The biggest "twist" is the way scoring works (only cards that have been "entombed" score, and entombed sets score squared values). Other than that, it's pretty standard for the genre.

KiKaL

Looks like it could be really interesting. I also hate it at the same time because of the completionist in me. I currently have the base game, Forsaken Lore, Strange Remenants and Under The Pyramids. I maybe have 15-20 plays and the game still feels fresh. Hell, I only have 3-4 plays since I got UtP but I keep fighting the urge to pick up Mountains of Madness and Signs of Carcosa even though I really don't need them. The argument I tell myself is that adding more will prevent me from ever remembering any of the cards since there are a few from the base game I have had come up quite a few times. It's a sickness...or maybe a curse haha. I do love the game though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like it could be really interesting. I also hate it at the same time because of the completionist in me. I currently have the base game, Forsaken Lore, Strange Remenants and Under The Pyramids. I maybe have 15-20 plays and the game still feels fresh. Hell, I only have 3-4 plays since I got UtP but I keep fighting the urge to pick up Mountains of Madness and Signs of Carcosa even though I really don't need them. The argument I tell myself is that adding more will prevent me from ever remembering any of the cards since there are a few from the base game I have had come up quite a few times. It's a sickness...or maybe a curse haha. I do love the game though.

I would like to get them just for the new character at some point. I kinda wish these add ons had fewer additional rules, I mainly like just the core rules.

KiKaL

I would like to get them just for the new character at some point. I kinda wish these add ons had fewer additional rules, I mainly like just the core rules.

I don't feel like they really have changed much rule wise. I believe the new things are after all of them are:

Focus Tokens
Impairment Tokens
Prelude Cards
Unique Assets
Adventure Cards

The only thing I can think of that makes things a little more complicated are the Prelude Cards and Adventure cards which both don't have to be used. There are of course, new conditions, spells, and assets but they don't change anything rule wise so I left them out above.

More than one player suggested me to try Valle of Kings, from AEG.

Any advice about it?

We like it a lot even if it doesn't get to the table often (my daughter prefer playing Tanto Cuore or Paperback). As someone above mention, it has pretty cool mechanic where the victory points only count if you entomb the card (which take it out of play). Also card "buying" area is set up like pyramid and there is a choice you have to make when buying card and there is also set collection mechanic so not all cards that you entomb will score you points. It's a fun and inexpensive deck building with nice twist.

Blizzard

Banned
More than one player suggested me to try Valle of Kings, from AEG.

Any advice about it?
You have to choose whether to remove cards from your deck for scoring purposes, use them for money, or use them for their action.

Also, you get new cards from a constantly-changing, variable-price pyramid which is kind of neat.

I like the game, but you always have the same cards so it doesn't have as much variety as Dominion. I'm no expert but I personally suspect focusing hard on the green and blue sets is by far the most important strategy, maybe slightly unbalanced.

*edit* There are two expansions, WHAT? Well, that would add variety. Now I want both.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah the Eldritch expansions really are more about adding "more of everything" rather than introducing complex new mechanics like a lot of the Arkham expansions used to do. So at minimum it just introduces more variety. Focus mechanic is borderline must-have imo to avoid those annoying actions where you literally have nothing to do. Only issue I have is the one outlined above of just having to identify and manage all the right decks. There's a crazy amount of decks once you add in a few expansions. If only they had an app instead. :p

Tiny Epic Western played last night. Pretty complex strategy involved in this game surprisingly.

Dang still haven't gotten mine yet. KS just doesn't like me I think, between this and the Tokaido I've been waiting like four years for. :p

Iced

Have my choice of getting either Battlecon: Devastation of Indines or Summoner Wars: Master Set in a trade. Which should I go for? Looking for any and all opinions on both.

I will mention that I’m not the type to collect cards, so if either game’s enjoyment rests on expanding the base game, I’m not interested.

Keasar

Tiny Epic Western played last night. Pretty complex strategy involved in this game surprisingly.

I jumped onto the Tiny Epic Galaxies expansion kickstarter for the base game and expansion, have heard it is pretty darn good.

Have my choice of getting either Battlecon: Devastation of Indines or Summoner Wars: Master Set in a trade. Which should I go for? Looking for any and all opinions on both.

I will mention that I’m not the type to collect cards, so if either game’s enjoyment rests on expanding the base game, I’m not interested.
Summoner Wars Master Set is kinda a starting point to later expand your collection with more factions etc. since it comes in a box with loooooots of room for more decks.

I would say if that is your criteria, Battlecon: Devastation stands incredibly well on its own without you ever having to buy any of the other boxes. It has a ton of different characters, boss characters, a solo/co-op dungeon mode, 1v1, 2v2, 1v2, 1v3 etc. modes (with super powered fighter cards replacing the base ones for the single character) and lots of other stuff.

I love both games, but Summoner Wars I feel rely a bit more on being expanded for more variety in the long run, so in this case I'd go Battlecon.

Li Kao

Ok, I got twitchy fingers today and for some reason ended up at the LCS :O
The haul was nice, firstly and at long fucking last a version of the 'Panic' games translated in French, Dead Panic. And as this purchase finished my current fidelity card I got Blood Rage basically for free.
Blood Rage will be my first "pricey game with miniatures", I hope I like it and that the two players version is not bad.

Pretty satisfied, although the shop owners really made me hesitate between Blood Rage and Zombicide: Black Plague, but I had a gut feeling I should really try BR.

Top Bottom