• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Karkador

Banned
Have my choice of getting either Battlecon: Devastation of Indines or Summoner Wars: Master Set in a trade. Which should I go for? Looking for any and all opinions on both.

I will mention that I’m not the type to collect cards, so if either game’s enjoyment rests on expanding the base game, I’m not interested.

I haven't played Battlecon, but I take it a number of people here will recommend it.

Summoner Wars is a good game, though. It's a good mashup of a turn-based strategy like Fire Emblem or Heroes of Might and Magic, and playing cards kind of like Hearthstone. It's fun, brisk, and challenging.

The Master Set brings 6 different classes/decks with a good variety of playstyles, and there's enough there to enjoy the game - BUT you may want to eventually get the expansion decks (they're not randomized), which I guess crosses your line.

Iced

I haven't played Battlecon, but I take it a number of people here will recommend it.

Summoner Wars is a good game, though. It's a good mashup of a turn-based strategy like Fire Emblem or Heroes of Might and Magic, and playing cards kind of like Hearthstone. It's fun, brisk, and challenging.

The Master Set brings 6 different classes/decks with a good variety of playstyles, and there's enough there to enjoy the game - BUT you may want to eventually get the expansion decks (they're not randomized), which I guess crosses your line.

Uh oh, my ears just perked up! Now my decision has been made tougher!

Dang still haven't gotten mine yet. KS just doesn't like me I think, between this and the Tokaido I've been waiting like four years for. :p

Just got it 2 days ago

I jumped onto the Tiny Epic Galaxies expansion kickstarter for the base game and expansion, have heard it is pretty darn good.

Expected a simply small game, but it's pretty much a full blown Euro like worker placement game with heavy gambling element. We were kinda blown away at the decision making you have to make. And for such a small and cheap package, it still is more impressive looking game than games 2 to 3 times its price

Mr E.

Uh oh, my ears just perked up! Now my decision has been made tougher!
I haven't played the other game but Summoner wars is excellent.

6 Armies may not sound much but each Faction plays totally different. Matching them all up against each other is a lot of combos and replayability in that box.

Gave SH: Death Angel another shot, this time in the 2 player mode. (Still playing solo but as two players.) I have to say I like the like game now. Four teams is a little more taxing on the mind but way less difficult and more enjoyable.

Just got it 2 days ago

Expected a simply small game, but it's pretty much a full blown Euro like worker placement game with heavy gambling element. We were kinda blown away at the decision making you have to make. And for such a small and cheap package, it still is more impressive looking game than games 2 to 3 times its price

My only problem with Tiny Epic Galaxy is I wish they have just make it a full size game and offer Tiny version as portable version.

On that note looks like my package of Tiny Western got stuck in a limbo somewhere. The label was generated on the 15th and the package was mark as ready to ship from facility since the 23rd but since then it just stuck at waiting to be ship.

Went ahead and ordered the Trederra expansion for Shadows of Brimstone, because apparently my painting backlog of Kingdom Death:Monster, all of the Zombicide:Black Plague heroes and abominations, all of Mansions of Madness, and all of my other SoB stuff wasn't enough.

Still, it looks cool, even if the expansion I want most is still the derelict ship.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
When you guys play Eldritch Horror solo, how many investigators do you like to play?

Just played real 3P game today and honestly would recommend 2. I think 3 is just too much to handle for 1P because in that game you can really rack up so many items and conditions just for each character, as well as other game states to worry about.

daevv

Having fallen down the X-Wing Miniatures rabbit hole hard the ol board game group got together for the first time in 3-4 months for what we call "regular" games now. We played Coloretto and Star Trek Catan. Both games we have never played. Coloretto was fun and reminded me of Sushi Go without the drafting. ST Catan was also a welcome change from regular Catan. We used the Helper cards and it really changed up the gameplay and strategies. Already looked into and ordered the ST Catan expansion. Here we go again...

When you guys play Eldritch Horror solo, how many investigators do you like to play?
I usually play with 4, but as AstroLad suggest 2 is really more manageable especially for the later expansions. I didn't really care much for the Carcosa expansion, while it didn't add new location or board I find all the conditions and reckoning trigger to be getting out of hands.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just played real 3P game today and honestly would recommend 2. I think 3 is just too much to handle for 1P because in that game you can really rack up so many items and conditions just for each character, as well as other game states to worry about.

I usually play with 4, but as AstroLad suggest 2 is really more manageable especially for the later expansions. I didn't really care much for the Carcosa expansion, while it didn't add new location or board I find all the conditions and reckoning trigger to be getting out of hands.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably start with two.

Gave SH: Death Angel another shot, this time in the 2 player mode. (Still playing solo but as two players.) I have to say I like the like game now. Four teams is a little more taxing on the mind but way less difficult and more enjoyable.
I played a solo game to learn and didn't even get past the second room. I then taught my co-workers and played a three player game -- we miraculously won with 2 marines left. I'm second guessing whether we played correctly to have such luck on my second game. Really enjoying it so far.

KiKaL

I generally do 2 but last night I decided to give 4 a shot and really enjoyed it. It let me do and see so much more of the game. It didn't seem difficult to keep track of all 4 investigators but I have played quite a few times.

I now keep debating on picking up Mountains of Madness or Signs of Carcosa. I like the cost of SoC but enjoy the theme of MoM and that I heard it is a little easier.

edit - Ended up walking to the game store that just opened up a block away and walked out with SoC. MoM was $50 and I just can't pay that much when I know it's so much cheaper online.

Clank! really does looks great and like something that would interest my friends. As of now it's between that and Alien for my next deck builder.

I still haven't researched all of the suggestions but I'll get to it. Thanks for all the recommendations.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I generally do 2 but last night I decided to give 4 a shot and really enjoyed it. It let me do and see so much more of the game. It didn't seem difficult to keep track of all 4 investigators but I have played quite a few times.

I now keep debating on picking up Mountains of Madness or Signs of Carcosa. I like the cost of SoC but enjoy the theme of MoM and that I heard it is a little easier.

edit - Ended up walking to the game store that just opened up a block away and walked out with SoC. MoM was $50 and I just can't pay that much when I know it's so much cheaper online.

Nice. Yeah, see if you can get a deal on MoM. It is pretty great.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The Delve for Descent: Road to Legend

Sounds SUPER awesome.

In every game of The Delve, these carefully designed stages are randomly paired, ensuring that the world-between-worlds is different every time you return. What’s more, like all of Road to Legend, this pocket dimension expands with the size of your Descent collection. Even with just the Core Set, you’ll find fifteen regular stages and five unique boss fights, but every expansion that includes new map tiles adds three to seven more stages that you may randomly encounter during a game! In addition, the monsters that you face in The Delve are selected from your entire collection, which means that every Hero and Monster Collection can significantly change the enemies you face.

zulux21

it's really weird getting my order in from funagain games only to realize how few people own the games I just bought.

I mean I got 16 games for $56 total or so, of of those I can only find a few of them on amazon/ebay going for $20 plus.

gotta say, they are going to be a pain to learn in general though as a number of them are only half translated in the sense that technically english is on most things, but so is the japanese which really clutters things.,

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Made it to the final mystery in Eldritch against Azathoth. I would have finished it, but two Rumors got me. Might try with four investigators. I want to try and win against each Ancient One.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My September in gaming. :) 36 hours of games being a record since I started tracking in March. Pretty wide variety of games as always, though getting into Space Hulk took up the most individual time of any game, with Xcom second (those long playtimes on FFG games help with that Metric ;)). On the lighter side, playing through Junk Art with several different groups was a ton of fun, and Heroes of Kaskaria (#1 item there in terms of plays) was by far my kids game of the month.
SlcwhXu.jpg

Made it to the final mystery in Eldritch against Azathoth. I would have finished it, but two Rumors got me. Might try with four investigators. I want to try and win against each Ancient One.
We just beat Yig a few days ago and I'm barely sure how we did it because he even woke up (we had actually met the win condition but he woke up during Mythos). A lot of it does come down to Mysteries. Our first was brutal and took us two hours, but then the others were just epic monsters which I find easier.

JSR_Cube

pnhfn77.jpg

Pretty slow September for me which is sad.

We did try Wiz-War after it sitting on my shelf for about two years now last night and had a great time!

Bigfoot

Anyone have any game suggestions that a 5 year old boy and 7 year old girl would both enjoy, and won't drive my wife and me crazy?

I haven't played board games much the past few years but would like to have some family game nights soon.

JSR_Cube

Anyone have any game suggestions that a 5 year old boy and 7 year old girl would both enjoy, and won't drive my wife and me crazy?

I haven't played board games much the past few years but would like to have some family game nights soon.

I'll say that I start out with Forbidden Island as a good game for families and kids and it isn't too expensive. It's cooperative so there aren't any hard feelings with a winner and loser to deal which I like. It is also good because you can QB the game as well to help them understand the strategy and how to play it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003D7F4YY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Zooloretto is another option for younger kids as well:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000S0PY2G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Others will hopefully chime in.

Bigfoot

Zooloretto looks like a game my daughter would love. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone play any of those Junior games like Catan Junior or Stone Age Junior?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I have like 25+ kids games haha. Actually what I started doing with my 5 y-o is every first Sunday we get to go to the game store and pick out and play one game. Teaching her to be a good little board-game consumer like me :p

Some of our favorite games that I think would work for that age range are The Enchanted Tower, Heroes of Kaskaria, Viva Topo, Plucky Pilots, and My First Carcassonne. Also most dexterity games like Coconuts, Animal upon Animal, and Rhino Hero work.The Tales & Games series like Three Little Pigs and Tortoise & Hare are pretty well regarded too though for some reason we haven't quite gotten into them (think they're about one level of rules too many is the thing). I also can sometimes play adult games with just a little handholding, like King of Tokyo, Patchwork, and regular Carcassonne. I was actually shocked by how well she understood Patchwork but when I thought about it, it made a lot of sense since the rules are really simple but the strategy is crunchy.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lost to Azathoth again, lol. EH is testing my sanity. Just when you think you are in good shape...BOOM you get kicked in the balls. I had some sweet magical weapons then of course the Mythos card comes up, destroying them and advanced doom :(

Going to keep trying till I beat him though. I want to work my way through each Ancient One before I buy an expansion again.

All my kids are older now so I don't really pay attention to game for younger crowd but the new Ticket to Ride First Journey look pretty good. Many of board game podcasters always raving about Animal Upon Animal and many of other Haba games.

Junk Art is everything I wanted in a dexterity game.

Like, actually being a game with choices, strategy, tension, and large wooden things falling down and clacking on the table.

I have played many games of Stone age junior because it is my five year olds "go to" game. Be aware that there really isn't much to it, so they will grow out of it quickly. But for now it combines just enough elements to keep the kids entertained.

They will need to be able to handle a bit of "take that" though. There have been tears early on when somebody else takes the hut they were working towards.

Beyond losing to my wife in Spledor or Lost Cities every bloody time, most of my gaming is with a 5 and 8 year old so http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=209040451&postcount=12278 may help you out further.

Xater

Junk Art is everything I wanted in a dexterity game.

Like, actually being a game with choices, strategy, tension, and large wooden things falling down and clacking on the table.

I looked at it to potentially pick it up in Essen, but then I saw the price tag. With that money I can almost cover my entire Essen wishlist alone.

I looked at it to potentially pick it up in Essen, but then I saw the price tag. With that money I can almost cover my entire Essen wishlist alone.

I picked it up for $45 plus tax, so I think the retail price is $70-$80 (or that was possibly the jumbo version they were selling there for quite a bit more)

Ecto311

Anyone have or play Pandemic Cthulhu edition? Was looking for a board game for halloween to play with the wife and 7yr old kid. Checked some videos and it looks decent. Not sure if it gets too complicated for kids though.

Escape From Atlantis was probably the single best family board game purchase I have ever made. Been playing it since my girls were 5&6. Nothing to read, just symbols and actions. Simple game with an ever changing modular board. It's always interesting and always fun. After a single game I grabbed both expansions.

It is a vs game, which some kids handle better than others. My kids loved having sharks and whales eat and attack everyone, lol.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Price in Essen will be 75€. Just too much for me to spend on a single board game. My limit is 40.
Yeah there is honestly a crazy amount of nice wood bits in that game, so probably best bought at discount online retailer. Worth it though if you like dexterity or even light party-style games at all.

Kitbash

Anyone have or play Pandemic Cthulhu edition? Was looking for a board game for halloween to play with the wife and 7yr old kid. Checked some videos and it looks decent. Not sure if it gets too complicated for kids though.

It's good, to the point where I'd be happy to see an expansion or two come along. The insert certainly has space for more stuff!

The box suggests ages 14+, but the game is fully co-op and guiding a younger player through their turn wouldn't wreck the experience. The relic cards in particular would be too much for them to handle on their own.

Xater

Yeah there is honestly a crazy amount of nice wood bits in that game, so probably best bought at discount online retailer. Worth it though if you like dexterity or even light party-style games at all.

I also just recently bought Go Cuckoo, so getting another dexterity game is not a high priority.

Deadstar

Has anyone played The Others or Inis? The Others looks interesting as a horror game from Eric Lang but it's getting some mixed reviews.

Inis is getting rave reviews and the art looks incredible. Give me the details!

Protome

It's getting close to the end of the year and I need to start thinking about GOTY podcasts.
Last year I didn't really get to contribute to the board game section of our podcast (we're still primarily video games although it has been pretty board game heavy this year...) beyond "Man, I sure liked Mysterium."

I want to change that this year.

What games do you guys feel I need to look at before the year's end?

Has anyone played The Others or Inis? The Others looks interesting as a horror game from Eric Lang but it's getting some mixed reviews.

Inis is getting rave reviews and the art looks incredible. Give me the details!

I preordered Inis after the Shut Up And Sit Down review. It looks outstanding. Has it been at many shows or anything though? It doesn't come out for a couple of weeks so beyond review copies I don't think many people here will have deets about it.

Blizzard

Banned
It's getting close to the end of the year and I need to start thinking about GOTY podcasts.
Last year I didn't really get to contribute to the board game section of our podcast (we're still primarily video games although it has been pretty board game heavy this year...) beyond "Man, I sure liked Mysterium."

I want to change that this year.

What games do you guys feel I need to look at before the year's end?
Scythe is the only big release this year that I can remember affecting me, though you've probably already looked at it.

Deadstar

Yeah, Scythe and Millennium Blades to me seem like the most impactful games this year.

Codex? Tom Vasel seemed to really enjoy it. I have it, but haven't played it yet.

I preordered Inis after the Shut Up And Sit Down review. It looks outstanding. Has it been at many shows or anything though? It doesn't come out for a couple of weeks so beyond review copies I don't think many people here will have deets about it.

I heard about it on the dice tower from Sam then I went and watched the shut up and sit down review. I love the art in the game.

Top Bottom