• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Well new community GW site was launched, they still once in a while publish new scenarios for their board games on there. Any big expansion material, usually not, but they were releasing new characters for use with both AoS and WQ.

GW typically doesn't pump out ton of expansions like other companies do for their games, so it's kinda up to if you want such a thing. Games like IA, Shadows, Descent have constant product being released for it.... which is good and bad for some.

Ohnonono

First game of Arkham LCG down. I played Agnes and on normal Difficulty it felt pretty easy. Some of this was really lucky stuff from me though. I was playing one character from 2 cores so I had all options available to me. I got out some strong spells at the start and drew way more treacheries than monsters. Seeing as how my best skill is willpower I was able to beat most of the treachery checks. The couple times I had to fight I used a spell and a nice combo to nuke the monsters. Did end up about 2 sanity from getting mental trauma. I got pretty lucky with my exploration though and can totally see how that could become a problem really fast for my character. There are ways to mitigate it but it would start to snowball really fast.

Very good first impression. I do think I got pretty lucky and will continue to play on normal with one character. Have a couple of deck changes I am going to use my XP on. Excited to play again soon. They finally seem to have a game that is actually soloable with one character without making any real sacrifices.

yeah I was looking into that.. curious on more thoughts. I looked it up on BGG and the consensus is.. well, there isn't one. Basically something like

"Warhammer Quest was great. This isn't quite as good, but does some things better. But WQ might not have been that great and might have just been nostalgia"

"WQ was not good. Majorly tinted by nostalgia. This still isn't good because of RNG, but better than WQ"

"WQ:ST is amazing. way better than WQ."

"WQ:ST isn't as fun as I remember having with WQ"

Me = ??????

I also looked at the WQ:ST app. Horrible. Well I mean it's free.. and is only supposed to be a character shee.... nope.. it is in fact horrible. :(

So I am a huge wannbe GW guy.. would love to be talked into WQ:ST. Also curious as to what GW's post-launch support will be. I see they added a ton of stats for AoS models which is awesome.. but would still like game expansion beyond just additional rules for models (though still... that is REALLY clever)

I think it's pretty good and it's always fun to play for me even as a solo game. The app is suck and they listen to complain and you can buy printed version of all the heroes. I really hope they support the game with more expansions with new maps and scenario but that remain to be seen.

What good about the app is it allow you to use it as a game save.

joelseph

Initial reviews of Arkham LCG from anyone that picked it up and has played it a few times? Interested in hearing from people that played LOTR LCG. I really enjoyed my time with LOTR, the one drawback was I got into it late and could never catch up content wise. Talk to me gaf.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Initial reviews of Arkham LCG from anyone that picked it up and has played it a few times? Interested in hearing from people that played LOTR LCG. I really enjoyed my time with LOTR, the one drawback was I got into it late and could never catch up content wise. Talk to me gaf.

I think it's great after my first play of the campaign. This is essentially the first time I've really dived into a card game so I can't compare it with anything.

I think the campaign play is going to be pretty special especially with the next deluxe expansion and subsequent mythos packs. The different resolutions that can occur at the end of each scenarios is pretty neat as is the ability to gain XP and upgrade cards. Moving through locations is cool. Also the iconography and card designs I think are really beautiful.

I recommend it , but I also have a big Arkham bias, haha.

I watched a few solo play through on YouTube and people seem to really like it. I thought it looked fun. The biggest complaint seems to be the short length out of the box. I plan on getting it after FFG releases a bit more content for the game.

Ohnonono

I played LOTR LCG through the first few Deluxe Expansions. I played LOTR mostly solo with 1 deck.

I really love AHTCG at least through my first play. The bag adds some needed randomness in a game like this to me. Also the built in difficulty modes add more replay value than I felt like LOTR did. Makes it more fun to replay scenarios and be able to change up the difficulty.

zeeaykay

Couldn't help myself and grabbed the remaining Battlelore expansions I didn't have and Claustrophobia.

It seems Battlelore may be going out of print, so it seemed like a good investment. And, actually, I think three armies with variable soldiers is all I need to make the game last a lifetime. Getting one more army like the elves would have been nice but you'd start to get serious dominating returns at that point.

I'd bet they're going to reskin Battlelore into a Star Wars version, but frankly I think I'll stick with my generic fantasy one if it comes to that. I'd actually think it'd be cool if they took the system and just mashed it up with other genres, like a Super Amash Bros for the Command and Colors system. I really think they perfected the formula as is, maybe just release more pre-made scenarios to reduce set up time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played Ghost Stories tonight. We barely beat it on beginner.

What the fuck at that games difficulty. Is hard even possible

Haha don't sweat it. I think most people have <50% success even on Novice. For everyone outside of serious players, 'Novice' is pretty much the default difficulty at all times and even then it can be tough. When we beat it on Nightmare or Hell onI still consider it one of my greatest co-op accomplishments. :p Now to be fair when we play on those difficulties, we choose everything -- Taoist sides, village-tile sides, and village-tile placement. On Novice we just go straight random. I usually don't play with Guard Tower though (promo) because it makes the game a bit too AP-inducing and also ~10-15% easier.

yeah I was looking into that.. curious on more thoughts. I looked it up on BGG and the consensus is.. well, there isn't one. Basically something like

"Warhammer Quest was great. This isn't quite as good, but does some things better. But WQ might not have been that great and might have just been nostalgia"

"WQ was not good. Majorly tinted by nostalgia. This still isn't good because of RNG, but better than WQ"

"WQ:ST is amazing. way better than WQ."

"WQ:ST isn't as fun as I remember having with WQ"

Me = ??????

I also looked at the WQ:ST app. Horrible. Well I mean it's free.. and is only supposed to be a character shee.... nope.. it is in fact horrible. :(

So I am a huge wannbe GW guy.. would love to be talked into WQ:ST. Also curious as to what GW's post-launch support will be. I see they added a ton of stats for AoS models which is awesome.. but would still like game expansion beyond just additional rules for models (though still... that is REALLY clever)

All legit observations IMO. I feel that it is undeniably better than the original. GW has really tweaked the game in a lot of fun ways. The familiars, their impacts, and the level up mechanics are just plain fun. Rolling for your abilities every turn and sharing the group pool of dice is a very fun and welcome mechanic.

The biggest con to me is that it is expensive! 5 new heroes are $50! Also, as has been mentioned, it is uncertain how well GW will follow the core game up with beefy expansions. I am cautiously optimistic with the new approach GW has taken this year. There is plenty in the core game for multiple play throughs with different party configurations. No 2 games will be the same, although they will be awfully similar.

As for reviews, all of my staple YouTube channels give the game very solid reviews.

The new WQ is just a straight up fun game. I have easily gotten my monies worth out of the core box.

GW games will always be expensive due to their miniature quality. They are plastic injection models, best in the business for strength and detail. Most companies use much cheaper molds, and pvc resins which are softer and brittle.

It's always going to set people off from their games.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
amazon has silver tower from third party for $85 right now.. hmm..

honestly GW's model pricing doesn't turn me off. Their modern models are almost always outstanding.

joelseph

Hoping this arrives before the weekend.

pic1335256.jpg

zulux21

Played Ghost Stories tonight. We barely beat it on beginner.

What the fuck at that games difficulty. Is hard even possible

and now to check if you messed up common rules and played on even easier than beginner.

rule one check.
did you use the tile that pushes shadows back correctly.
aka when you activated it did you only push back a single player board of shadows as that is all it does. (common mistakes is that it pushes back all shadows across all boards, or that it pushes back 3 of them anywhere on the boards)

rule two check.
did you use the buddha tile correctly if you used it.
that is... did you only place the buddha adjacent to you at some point after the turn that you got it? (common mistakes are just placing buddha statues on the turn you got them, or anywhere you want instead of adjacent to you)

:p

and now to check if you messed up common rules and played on even easier than beginner.

rule one check.
did you use the tile that pushes shadows back correctly.
aka when you activated it did you only push back a single player board of shadows as that is all it does. (common mistakes is that it pushes back all shadows across all boards, or that it pushes back 3 of them anywhere on the boards)

rule two check.
did you use the buddha tile correctly if you used it.
that is... did you only place the buddha adjacent to you at some point after the turn that you got it? (common mistakes are just placing buddha statues on the turn you got them, or anywhere you want instead of adjacent to you)

:p

Yes to both, actually.

EYEL1NER

Hoping this arrives before the weekend.
I was curious what it was, so I just looked it up. That actually looks pretty cool and could be a good amount of fun on like a dexterity game night. It seems like a good "beer and pretzel" kind of game. It doesn't look like there are a ton of copies floating around the US at the moment though.
Well, I hope your copy shows up before the weekend. I would be interested in hearing how you liked it. I'm also curious to know what the arena is made of. A review on BGG mentioned that there is a foam bottom that can be glued in to the box, but doesn't mention what the walls of the arena are. I'm assuming really thin plastic, like some inserts or bases that hold the player boards in FITS or gearboxes in Formula D are made of?

EDIT: Any of you dexterity gamers been able to try Ice Cool? I saw some people playing it out of the corner of my eye last Saturday while at a game store but I was in the middle of my third and final X-Wing match of the day against a tough opponent and couldn't really check it out. While looking up Strike on Amazon, I saw the boxart in the "customers also bought" section and decided to take a closer look at it. I like penguins, as does my daughter, and I also think I might like dexterity games (wouldn't know for sure until I get to actually try one). It seems like it could be a good one. Not sure I need it right now, or at least until I can get my copies of Rampage, PitchCar, and Flick Em Up played, but I think I'll have to keep my eyes out for it.

Lyng

Thinking about going all in for SW:Destiny. Think it will be easy to find people to play with?

I was thinking about it too. Changed my mind and went with the LCG instead. Really happy I did that. The game is Star Wars ina box and honestly is the best lcg I have played.

Iced

Meeplemart in Toronto, Canada is having a store-wide sale starting at midnight tonight. 12% off everything with coupon code "exterminate". Ends Sunday at 11:59 PM.

Experien

I was thinking about it too. Changed my mind and went with the LCG instead. Really happy I did that. The game is Star Wars ina box and honestly is the best lcg I have played.

I already have Star Wars in a box, Rebellion. Though you don't get to do mercenary stuff much.

I feel Destiny would be an easier sell and easier to build and have a friend new to it all build theirs easy too.

Lyng

I already have Star Wars in a box, Rebellion. Though you don't get to do mercenary stuff much.

I feel Destiny would be an easier sell and easier to build and have a friend new to it all build theirs easy too.

The deckbuilding in SWTCG is really simple. Choose faction -> choose 10 objective cards. Each objective card comes with x amount of cards, those make your deck.

Ordered 2 more versions of pixel tactics 3 and 4 since they were cheapest on amazon. Will slowly fill up this deluxe box with pixel tactics goodness.

The deckbuilding in SWTCG is really simple. Choose faction -> choose 10 objective cards. Each objective card comes with x amount of cards, those make your deck.

This what got us into the game originally. You can just pick objectives and then make deck out of them. I am not sure why we stop playing it actually, I think may be because as we got more and more expansions, like any deckbuilding game it just became overwhelm with so many cards and we just ended up playing board games.

Iced

So does shipping kill the Fantasy Flight holiday sale in the US, too? Anyone here gotten anything good?

https://holiday-sale.fantasyflightgames.com

Meeplemart in Toronto, Canada posted on Facebook that they received confirmation that they'll be participating in the sale. No specific details yet though.

I was thinking of picking up Ghost Stories this weekend with Meeplemart's 12% off everything sale, but now I'm not sure if I should wait or not.

EYEL1NER

So does shipping kill the Fantasy Flight holiday sale in the US, too? Anyone here gotten anything good?

https://holiday-sale.fantasyflightgames.com

Meeplemart in Toronto, Canada posted on Facebook that they received confirmation that they'll be participating in the sale. No specific details yet though.

I was thinking of picking up Ghost Stories this weekend with Meeplemart's 12% off everything sale, but now I'm not sure if I should wait or not.
I posted my haul in here. I only paid $13 shipping for Relic, both Relic expansions, Edo, and two dice bags. So four games was $13 UPS ground shipping to SC. I did read on BGG that people in Calidfornia were looking at $20+ shipping for a couple games though. $13 didn't seem bad to me; it's what, a bit cheaper than a medium flat rate USPS box? Relic plus both expansions cost me $40 total, whereas it would be over $100 for those three at Miniature Market right now.

The games being clearances by ffg are worth the shipping, like the warhammer remaining in stock. The stuff just marked down a bit though, nope not worth it.

EYEL1NER

After mentioning Ice Cool earlier and looking up Strike and talking about Flick Em Up on the last page, I sat down and started looking at what all dexterity games are out there. I know that Crokinole is king amongst dexterity games and I would love to have a board, but I can hold off on buying one until I move out of an apartment and have space enough to have one that I can have sitting out somewhere. I thought about buying into 3rd Edition Catacombs for a bit but $200+ is pricey for all of it. Tumblin Dice is supposed to be fun but the recent Eeagle-Gryphon Games version was supposed to be of poor quality. What are some lesser-known good ones? Ascending Empires looks kind of interesting, if it was in-print and didn't have issues with board warping.

Lyng

Wait, the TCG isn't what is currently out by Fantasy Flight, is it?

Its called Star Wars: The Card game. Hence the swtcg, but I can see how that is confusing since there is also a Star Wars tcg :).
But to clarify I am talking about the LCG from Fantasy Flight

After mentioning Ice Cool earlier and looking up Strike and talking about Flick Em Up on the last page, I sat down and started looking at what all dexterity games are out there. I know that Crokinole is king amongst dexterity games and I would love to have a board, but I can hold off on buying one until I move out of an apartment and have space enough to have one that I can have sitting out somewhere. I thought about buying into 3rd Edition Catacombs for a bit but $200+ is pricey for all of it. Tumblin Dice is supposed to be fun but the recent Eeagle-Gryphon Games version was supposed to be of poor quality. What are some lesser-known good ones? Ascending Empires looks kind of interesting, if it was in-print and didn't have issues with board warping.

Dungeon fighter, Pitchcar, Rhino Hero and Junk Art spring to mind.

Two announcements made late this evening. Capstone Games is continuing their trend of publishing heavy games for NA with Three Kingdoms Redux. And Stefan Feld's In the Year of the Dragon is getting a reprint finally, with the Treasure Chest expansions added. I wonder if this means we might finally get a reprint of the Puerto Rico expansion buildings.

Also, for those of you inclined to play a heavy worker placement game and 3 players is a common player count for you, I highly recommend Three Kingdoms Redux. Fantastic game, it's tense. Captures the tripartite of the era very well. Pretty much all of your famous names that you see in the Dynasty Warriors series is there. It's also in a really thin box, for those with space constraints, about half as tall as your standard square box.

EYEL1NER

Two announcements made late this evening. Capstone Games is continuing their trend of publishing heavy games for NA with Three Kingdoms Redux. And Stefan Feld's In the Year of the Dragon is getting a reprint finally, with the Treasure Chest expansions added. I wonder if this means we might finally get a reprint of the Puerto Rico expansion buildings.

Also, for those of you inclined to play a heavy worker placement game and 3 players is a common player count for you, I highly recommend Three Kingdoms Redux. Fantastic game, it's tense. Captures the tripartite of the era very well. Pretty much all of your famous names that you see in the Dynasty Warriors series is there. It's also in a really thin box, for those with space constraints, about half as tall as your standard square box.
I've wanted Three Kingdoms Redux since I saw its name shortly before it came out. Hmmm, I wonder what that will do to the price. I guess it isn't too bad already at $70 Singaporean Dollars before shipping. It's $56 USD including shipping at the moment. But that seems kind of cheap for a heavy Euro. If it winds up being the same price or cheaper once Capstone gets it on shelves, I'll buy it. It isn't exactly what I am looking for in a Three Kingdoms game, but I'll take what I can get, I guess.

fenners

I was looking at Dungeon Hero earlier and didn't like the look of it. I already have PitchCar and Junk Art is on my radar. Rhino Hero is new to me though, I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

I didn't like Dungeon Fighter at all. Junk Art, I've heard good things about, and a buddy just bought it at BGG.Con ;)

Rhino Hero's technically a kids game by Haba, but it's awesome. You're building a floors of a tower by folding cards as two walls & then putting another card as the floor. Each floor card has instructions for the layout of the walls above. There's special icons to change turn order, skip turn etc, and one to place Rhino Hero - a ridiculously cute rhino meeple. When you make the next player do this, they have to delicately pick 'im up, then delicately place him on the icon after putting on the walls & ceiling - this changes the balance of the tower immensely, obviously.

It's a ton of fun, easy to explain, and is an attention grabber when playing. One we regularly take to our local family friendly growler bar... Definitely one of my family's most played games this year.

Another 'lesser known' dexterity game that I love is Riff-Raff. You have a large wooden boat with wooden beams for a sail, and a large weight underneath that causes the boat to constantly tilt around. Aim is to put all of your cargo on the beams & boat. Again, awesome to look at, awesome to play.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Coconuts is also quite fun if you're just looking for a really light aiming game and don't mind monkey poop getting everywhere. I personally like Dungeon Fighter a lot but it's very love/hate. The difficulty is kind of messed up too at least in the base game in that it's just really hard to win.

The one game I've owned since it came out YEARS ago but still haven't played is Catacombs. :p

As a sad sob with no friends this week, I played solitaire games of Tesla VS Edison Powering Up and Arkham Horror the card game. Both are excellent if completely difference styles of game. I had high hope for Tesla Vs Edison but the game was a dud for me as the game revolve around stock manipulation instead of building your electric company. Some might argue that it is a stock manipulation game, well it just sort of not fun and pretty much ruin the theme for me. I couldn't even get anyone in group to play it. However, I think with the expansion, I am going to get them to try the game this weekend. So far the solitaire experience is probably one of the best for Euro style game.

Arkham Horror the card game. It play sort of like Mansions of Madness but with cards. I really like that there is no app needed (I have nothing against them but it's nice to have a self contain game). I played through the first intro and was surprise how hard the game is and there are multiple ending. The deck building so far is pretty nominal which I like and it definitely a great refine version of Lords of Rings LCG. I can see huge potential with the expansions. I love the easily modify difficulty level and the fact that unlike LoTR LCG where you build a deck to beat the scenario this one at least so far you can have a well rounded deck to go against the game or you can do two or three or four investigators each with their own strength and weakness. I can't wait to try the next scenario.

Trying to decide if I want to get into Mage Knight and all its expansions or Star Trek Frontiers. (For solo play.) Hmm. Also need to figure out my plan (and budget) for Black Friday sales.

I'm neck deep in painting zombicide miniatures. I'm finished with the toxic and berserker zombies and have a handful of normal zombies finished. I'm painting the regular zombies in batches of 12 and then adding them to the finished pile. I think I have about 100 more to go. I plan on taking breaks around every 24 so that I can paint a survivor and their zombivor, then back to the grind.

And after these 100 normal zombies are done? I'll paint the 12 seeker zombies from Angry Neighbors and then I'll have 80 skinner zombies from Rue Morgue up next! I do plan on rotating in survivors/zombivors inbetween large batches. Somewhere in there I have to paint 6 dog companions, 20 zombie dogs, 15 crows, 8 companions, and at last count, 32 survivors and their zombivor counterparts (64 total minis!). But I love my color schemes and how easy it is to crank these guys out so it's actually quite fun. I plan on using the leftover zombivors as VIPs and/or lost survivors.

One of the best things I did was get all the sets prior to painting. This way, I could mix and match the zombies from all the sets so that each type of zombie is made up of a wide variety of miniatures. I cannot wait to see everything once completed. It is already an extremely intimidating amount of zombies that I have painted and I'm not even half way finished!

Once I have my existing collection complete, I'll look into the actual VIP sets and possibly even hunt down some of the survivors that I am missing.

zeeaykay

Trying to decide if I want to get into Mage Knight and all its expansions or Star Trek Frontiers. (For solo play.) Hmm. Also need to figure out my plan (and budget) for Black Friday sales.

I will say I just played my first game of Mage Knight and it's just as good as I had hoped. However, apparently the component issues for the expansion is also now effecting Lost Legion. Not sure how bad it is but it came up on the subreddit and BGG thread within the past few days.

Bane

Anyone have any thoughts on Shadows of Brimstone? I'm eyeing the new Kickstarter but if I go in I'm going for the big pledge. The past games seemed to review well but I'd like to get some more impresions.

Experien

Anyone have any thoughts on Shadows of Brimstone? I'm eyeing the new Kickstarter but if I go in I'm going for the big pledge. The past games seemed to review well but I'd like to get some more impresions.

I think the general consensus on here about it is, if you can live without the said KS "exclusives," wait for it to hit retail because you will get it before most backers and definitely cheaper (if you hit sales). A lot of people feel burned from the previous one. Some do love the gameplay, I'm trying to get past the combat.

I pledged $150 (I added more in pledge manager) and all they have sent me was the base game and papers for the "exclusive" Outlaw character (not miniature). I would've had to pay $50 more for them to ship me the stuff that is already available. Now I have to wait until ??? for the rest of it in one shipment. Meanwhile, anyone and everyone can buy all the stuff from stores.

It is more expensive if you just buy it all at the stores and don't wait for sales but at least you can buy one at a time and see how you like it instead of throwing all down and hoping it is good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You should definitely wait for Black Friday week sales before picking up any KS games. They tend to be really common sale/clearance fodder outside of the absolute most-popular ones like KD:M.

Lyng

Man I just have to tell you guys again: Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection is so damn good.
Especially solo

Also thanks to AstroLad for your comments in the past about Codenames. Never really ended up enjoying the normal version, but now invested in the pictures version and that just clicked. Now I really enjoy it. Maybe its because it has sort of a Dixit vibe to it, but is more of a streamlined game then Dixit.

emag

I played Codenames Pictures today and found it much more enjoyable than regular Codenames (the lack of prohibited words is a great improvement). That said, with fewer than six players I still prefer Dixit to either version of Codenames.

Also played A Study in Emerald 2e. It's a much simpler game than I expected, and too long for what it is (area control with light deckbuilding). The final scoring is probably the most clever element of the game, but they're was no ambiguity in our play (maybe with more experienced players?). I didn't feel the theme come through, either, despite being familiar with the Neil Gaiman short story.

Oh, and we played Spyfall as well. It was alright, but I don't know when I'd choose it over other social deduction games.

Blizzard

Banned
Walked into local store. 4 copies of Feast for Odin. Now they have 3.
All according to plan. My third weekly solo challenge is ending soon, if you want to join in at the last minute. :D

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664063/feast-odin-weekly-solo-competition-now-playing-i-h

My solo high score is 122 now. I want to at least break 130, even if I never get even with the 140+ people.

*edit* Also, only 5 people were at game night today. We played Indigo second, a game like Tsuro but fortunately not as annoying as Tsuro, where you route gems off the board.

But first, we played YE OLDE MONOPOLY...complete with house rules out the wazoo. Sort of. They didn't auction off properties if people couldn't afford them. AND they wouldn't let you pay income tax properly even if it was less than $200. AND they wouldn't let you leave jail on the turn you pay to get out, no matter what you roll. AND they gave anyone who landed on free parking $500, thus propping up two players for quite a while. We quit as soon as someone went bankrupt, by which time I had $3000+.

Bane

I think the general consensus on here about it is, if you can live without the said KS "exclusives," wait for it to hit retail because you will get it before most backers and definitely cheaper (if you hit sales). A lot of people feel burned from the previous one. Some do love the gameplay, I'm trying to get past the combat.

I pledged $150 (I added more in pledge manager) and all they have sent me was the base game and papers for the "exclusive" Outlaw character (not miniature). I would've had to pay $50 more for them to ship me the stuff that is already available. Now I have to wait until ??? for the rest of it in one shipment. Meanwhile, anyone and everyone can buy all the stuff from stores.

It is more expensive if you just buy it all at the stores and don't wait for sales but at least you can buy one at a time and see how you like it instead of throwing all down and hoping it is good.

Well, that's pretty eye opening info. Yeah, I think I'll wait on it then. Thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom