• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Yea just get the GoT game. If he already likes Risk he will probably be up to try it out. The only thing is that GoT needs at least 5 players, I would say.

Or the Expansion that balances things for 4 players.

Boardgame of Thrones is way better than Risk and it's really not that hard to understand. Boats are probably the hardest thing to understand and combat makes sense and the card play is very simple.

Draxal

My dad has been getting into game of thrones lately. He likes risk.

Do you guys think he'd like the got risk.

If you want a 1 v 1 game you can try Battles of Westeros which is Battle lore based on GoT. Its also on clearance in the FFG sale.

Oh woops only some expansions are on sale nm.

Bane

Anyone grab anything from Miniature Market's sale today? I've taken a glance at some of it but nothing great stood out to me.

Anyone grab anything from Miniature Market's sale today? I've taken a glance at some of it but nothing great stood out to me.

Wanted to pick up some DnD stuff, Cleric spell cards, since my coworkers and I have started a campaign of 5e. Decided to pick up Guilds of London and Tyrants of the Underdark. Also 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon, but that wasn't part of the sale. Pretty sure the prices for the other two were about the same as when they were on sale at previous times, but oh well. Really wanted to get 1844/1854 but didn't pull the trigger fast enough.

zulux21

there are some good prices on things (coven got even cheaper for the bundle) but most of the stuff I am tempted to buy my friends already own so I skipped it for now.

Phthisis

Been waiting for ages for Seas of glory, the Merchants & Marauders expansion. Finally it's getting reprinted and will be in stock 2-3 days in Blighty. This game is amazing.

Sod the Scalpers.

Honestly the best board game news this fall, IMO. Been trying to get my hands on it forever.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
For all the folks playing Arkham, please please please go to arkhamdb.com for all your deckbuilding needs. :D Makes life so easy by enforcing all rules, and even tracks and helps you with in-campaign upgrading. I can't publish yet, but I built two super min-max Wendy and Roland decks to complement each other. Even did a nice write-up for the Wendy one but somehow it got lost in the edits. Basically Roland is focused on Fight and Investigate actions, while Wendy is focused on Evade and punishing off of them...as it should be :D.

Roland Banks, Large Investigator
Assets

1x Roland's .38 Special (Core Set)
2x .45 Automatic (Core Set)
2x Physical Training (Core Set)
2x Machete (Core Set)
2x Magnifying Glass (Core Set)
2x Dr. Milan Christopher (Core Set)
2x Flashlight (Core Set)
Events
2x Dodge (Core Set)
2x Dynamite Blast (Core Set)
2x Mind over Matter (Core Set)
2x Emergency Cache (Core Set)
Skills
2x Vicious Blow (Core Set)
1x Guts (Core Set)
2x Perception (Core Set)
2x Overpower (Core Set)
1x Manual Dexterity (Core Set)
2x Unexpected Courage (Core Set)

Wendy Adams, Stealth Assassin
Assets

1x Wendy's Amulet
2x Leo De Luca Ally
2x Baseball Bat Hand x2
1x Burglary
2x Hard Knocks
2x Pickpocketing
1x Scavenging
Events
2x Backstab
2x Cunning Distraction
2x Emergency Cache
2x Lucky!
2x Sneak Attack
Skills
2x Guts
2x Manual Dexterity
2x Opportunist
2x Overpower
2x Unexpected Courage

EYEL1NER

I didn't get to go to board game night tonight. If I had gone, I would have taken Flick Em Up again, as well as Bang! The Dice Game and something else I could have found that would have been a bit more hardcore than those two. I had to make some last-minute preparations for tomorrow morning though; my son is set to be born. I think the doctors want to induce him. So in addition to missing tonight's game night, I might be missing the next couple as well while my wife, daughter, and I settle in to our new routines. My mother and grandmother are flying in this weekend and will be here for 1 1/2 weeks too and I probably won't ditch them for games (with the exception of the X-Wing Super OP Event on Dec 3, which I figure won't be a big deal for me to go to since my birthday is the next day). So this thread should be free of my complaints about having no one to game with for a while :)
Not a bad time to find more solo games, I guess. Something I can play overnight and step away from to tend to my boy. I imagine that will be easier to do with a tabletop game than with some of the new Xbone games I picked up recently and will be getting Thanksgiving morn. No time like the present to finally get the game of Thunderbolt Apache Leader that I've been itching for in.

I didn't pick up anything from the MM sale today. I looked and was really surprised that I couldn't find anything I really wanted. The last sale had a ton of stuff that I slept on but this one didn't have much. I spied the Machi Koro Deluxe playmat but it was OOS by the time I woke up and I didn't get to get the Machi Koro Deluxe game last sale like I wanted. There are the oversized villain cards and foil heroes for Sentinals of the Multiverse that I would like to have, but I still do not like the actual game, so getting those two items would be pretty dumb. The only things I thought about adding to my Robinson Crusoe hold were two of the Exceed card sets, but I don't need them right now.
Here's hoping that FFG starts shipping items out from their sale sometime soon. I don't think too many people's orders have even processed yet, let alone shipped. I know mine hasn't, but I want to dig into Relic and get my eyes on some of that art.

Noaloha

For all the folks playing Arkham [...]

Mmm, juicy deckbuilding. Some immediate thoughts, without considering formatting them into anything particularly complete:

- I think you're a bit heavy, ratio-wise, on the Skill cards there at a full third of your chosen 30. Personal taste of course, and early days in everyone's experience with the game, but I've found better consistency when putting something around 5-7... (8..?) Skill cards in there. More proactive plays (assets, events) than reactive ones.
- I really like going 2x on Guts, even moreso than 2x Perception. Just having that Guts (or the Wild) in hand puts me at ease given the nastiness of many of the Willpower-requiring encounter cards.
- I stopped putting the agility Skill card in my Roland deck. Too situational for him where the situations in question are too rare.
- I consider 'Beat Cop' to be Roland's #1 Ally, even over Dr Milan. Both are great (and the Dr is a phenomenal card to get out early, assuming you can also afford to get out a weapon). Roland can gather a clue per turn using combat obviously, so you can make an argument that Beat Cop improves both the fighting and clue-snaffling aspect of his role. Beat Cop also has a decent-ish upgrade option, though I have typically upgraded it only going into scenario 3 of NotZ alongside Elder Sign Amulet, preferring to grab Shotgun/Ammo/ going into scenario 2 (though if I take mental trauma in scenario 1, I grab Amulet going into scenario 2).
- I'd remove Mind Over Matter from the Roland deck for sure. Manual Dexterity is better and, as mentioned, I don't even like that card in the deck all that much.
- Evidence can be a fantastic card that plays to Roland's strengths. Combine it with his special ability on a location with more than clue and get two clues for one enemy!
- With Wendy's deck, I would add more 'item' type cards or get rid of Scavenging. It's there to bring back a broken Baseball Bat I assume. I think with two Bats in your deck it's unnecessary and Scavenging demands too much of a specific sequence of circumstances.
- I like having (at least, specifically when running through scenario 1) some cheap, cheap assets to have out in case I fail a Crypt Chill test. Stray Cat is nice to have out if you don't draw an early Leo. Rabbit's Foot can be great for keeping your hand-size nice and healthy while you wait for mid/end-game to equip your Amulet. Flashlight is flashlight and will make you happy in half the locations you enter.

Sorry for the stream of conscience thoughts. Nothing said particularly critically again, just some observations on how I'm personally considering strategy with these two.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mmm, juicy deckbuilding. Some immediate thoughts, without considering formatting them into anything particularly complete:

You kidding me? I love this stuff! This was particularly fun because I'm coming off of four years of Netrunner tournament scene, so it's nice to just sit down with a fresh LCG (co-op no less, so I don't have to stress about the meta even) and deckbuild "from the gut," which was pretty much exactly what I was doing there. Just going in off of two games and thinking what cards do I like and what cards do I hate and going from there. :p FFG is pretty deviously brilliant about making the starter decks somewhat playable but just ripe for all manner of deckbuilding because they're sub-optimal in so many ways. Thanks for the suggestions -- have made some changes based on them though I should probably actually playtest now before I make ten more sets of changes. :D

Keasar

Played my first game of Captain Sonar last week and had an absolute blast.

We were a full group of 8 players, all new, that tried out the game in two rounds. It was a bit chaotic at first as both captains tried to get used to waiting for the First Mate and Engineer players to acknowledge the move before doing the next one and not rush ahead. Then the chaos truly got out of hand when the teams thought they had each other in their sites and started frantically launch torpedoes at whatever position the other might have been in. Unfortunately our Radio Operator wasn't able to keep up with the enemy captain and lost their position often, so we got sunk twice.

Still, loved the game a lot. It is frantic, has tons of player interaction, you communicate actively with each other which is always a plus with board games, the components were as simple as a sheet of plastic and a pen, nothing else. I liked it a lot and look forward to bringing it out again. :D

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
For all the folks playing Arkham, please please please go to arkhamdb.com for all your deckbuilding needs. :D Makes life so easy by enforcing all rules, and even tracks and helps you with in-campaign upgrading. I can't publish yet, but I built two super min-max Wendy and Roland decks to complement each other. Even did a nice write-up for the Wendy one but somehow it got lost in the edits. Basically Roland is focused on Fight and Investigate actions, while Wendy is focused on Evade and punishing off of them...as it should be :D.

[

Bookmarked! That site will definitely come in handy.

Noaloha

I want to add an amendment to the AHLCG comment I made earlier, this one, specifically the bolded part:
- I consider 'Beat Cop' to be Roland's #1 Ally, even over Dr Milan. Both are great (and the Dr is a phenomenal card to get out early, assuming you can also afford to get out a weapon). Roland can gather a clue per turn using combat obviously, so you can make an argument that Beat Cop improves both the fighting and clue-snaffling aspect of his role. Beat Cop also has a decent-ish upgrade option, though I have typically upgraded it only going into scenario 3 of NotZ alongside Elder Sign Amulet, preferring to grab Shotgun/Ammo/ going into scenario 2 (though if I take mental trauma in scenario 1, I grab Amulet going into scenario 2).

I just got halfway through recording a session of Scenario 2, and I went in with the upgraded version of Beat Cop. That thing put in work! Being able to, as a free action and out of turn, ping a single damage on a same location Acolyte (regardless of whose threat area they're in) is amazing, especially for Roland with his ability.

Blizzard

Banned
Feast for Odin is back in stock at CSI ($80) and in stock at Cardhaus ($85). Some are suggesting these prices are a result of Asmodee shenanigans, though the demand might be part of it.

A reprint is also supposed to happen, available by the end of Q1 2017.

It seems kind of early for news even though I love the game, but someone who works on the game suggests expansion(s) are in the works as well.

Draxal

I really hate the new small form factor LCG boxes that FFG uses.

Trying to think of an optimal storage solution for Arkham Horror as I'm hooked.

I'm a weakling and caved in to buying stuff on Cardhaus's black friday sale. Decided to bite on Mansions of Madness even though the discount was negligible. Got Navegador which I was surprised they had stock of, along with Sleuth, and Peloponnes Card Game. At one point I had close to $400 in my cart...

I really should save money for the Kingdom Death KS on friday...

Vancha

Hello everyone, I am new on this board and more of a beginning board gamer. So far I purchased a few games like the Portal Board Game, Talisman and Betrayers at the House of the Hill.

So far we had most of our fun coming from Betrayers at the House of the Hill. But now my question mainly comes as, do you all have more suggestions of board games where things can change during the game (starting coöperatively but may end up as enemies) and where the board can grow and be different every game?

When I look on the internet I see a ton, but really a ton of different types of board games and through all that I can hardly see what would suit me and my friends.

Here is a link again to BatHofH for reference :)
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10547/betrayal-house-hill

Will plow my way through all the pages during my spare time, will have some work to do!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I really hate the new small form factor LCG boxes that FFG uses.

Trying to think of an optimal storage solution for Arkham Horror as I'm hooked.
Yeah I feel like FFG is leaving a ton of money on the table with premium accessories. The playmat is a good start, but I would pay good money for quality official storage.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
grabbed imperial assault and arkham horror lcg. IA was just too huge to pass up. A buddy through an RPG book on their to hit free shipping.

Draxal

Yeah I feel like FFG is leaving a ton of money on the table with premium accessories. The playmat is a good start, but I would pay good money for quality official storage.

Definitely, since they have so many lcg products out there (albeit some of them are retired); and and it can easily cross over to other ranges such as Imperial Assault or X Wing which have a ton of standard FFG sized cards as well.

Every initial ccg/lcg release should come in a huge high quality box like the Smash Up Big Geek Box and every expansion should come with the high quality, full color artwork, double sided plastic dividers just like Smash Up does.

These developers need to start thinking about the long game and show some good faith when it comes to their ccg/lcg products.

Unless they make em generic, stores don't like carrying giant box products. Doubt stores will be fans of a whole bunch of branded empty game boxes being sold, when for generic card storage, there is ton of options out there already. Stores are not gonna like having every card game and lcg releasing some big ole storage box with it's art on it, huge waste of shelf space.

Just buy some CCG cardboard organizers/cases for less than a couple bucks, boom done.

Making bigger boxes also would ramp up costs, as shipping costs for products will greatly increase. Price per game as well as shipping to stores is gonna go up in some cases.

Smash Up Big Box really is a rip off for essentially just a cardboard box, people want more of that? You can buy a deck storage box that can hold more at any hobby shop for like 2 bucks

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Unless they make em generic, stores don't like carrying giant box products. Doubt stores will be fans of a whole bunch of branded empty game boxes being sold, when for generic card storage, there is ton of options out there already. Stores are not gonna like having every card game and lcg releasing some big ole storage box with it's art on it, huge waste of shelf space.

Just buy some CCG cardboard organizers/cases for less than a couple bucks, boom done.

Making bigger boxes also would ramp up costs, as shipping costs for products will greatly increase. Price per game as well as shipping to stores is gonna go up in some cases.

Smash Up Big Box really is a rip off for essentially just a cardboard box, people want more of that? You can buy a deck storage box that can hold more at any hobby shop for like 2 bucks
Sorry to be clear I don't mean boxes that come with the game, I mean premium accessories for superfans. Broken Token seems to do huge business in this for example. FFG has an advantage too with having free access to the official artwork and in many cases license.
I'm also not interested in a purely pragmatic solution as I already have a billion of those laying around, but do desire something nice as aesthetically, especially to pair with games so focused on aesthetics. ymmv

Think it would be nice for a company to come up with an affordable and generic solution, that is also nice. Either you spend a fortune on something like Broken Token, or buy dirt cheap deck boxes to do your own. Just not really feasible for companies to all be making deck box solutions for all their games, while for some I mean it does kinda work out.

The Legendary base games come with ton of space though.

Big Box is less than $15 on Amazon and comes with the aforementioned dividers for every expansion up to that point and a new faction to play. You are actually getting a great deal for that price. To custom color print the plastic divders alone is more than $20. Meanwhile, the broken token solution is $20, holds less, and looks terrible. All the generic options look, well, generic.

Yes, I want the big themed boxes to hold my games. Especially card games.

zulux21

Big Box is less than $15 on Amazon and comes with the aforementioned dividers for every expansion up to that point and a new faction to play. You are actually getting a great deal for that price. To custom color print the plastic divders alone is more than $20. Meanwhile, the broken token solution is $20, holds less, and looks terrible. All the generic options look, well, generic.

Yes, I want the big themed boxes to hold my games. Especially card games.

yup... red dragon inn 5 is one of my favorite boxes I own.

big boxes for expandable card games like that are amazing.

yup... red dragon inn 5 is one of my favorite boxes I own.

big boxes for expandable card games like that are amazing.

Not sure about Red Dragon Inn, but yhe Smash Up box is anything other than "just a box". It is double walled, heavy duty, and also comes with perfectly fit precut foam blocks to prop up your cards. This is the type of product that should be encouraged and rewarded in this industry, not downplayed and dismissed. It should be the standard, not the exception.

zulux21

Not sure about Red Dragon Inn, but yhe Smash Up box is anything other than "just a box". It is double walled, heavy duty, and also comes with perfectly fit precut foam blocks to prop up your cards. This is the type of product that should be encouraged and rewarded in this industry, not downplayed and dismissed. It should be the standard, not the exception.

red dragon from their kickstarter page
The box is still in prototyping, but we are currently hoping for the following:
- 3-4 long columns for storing your decks.
- 10 or so foam spacers to make sure all your decks fit snug.
- Deck Dividers for every deck published so far.
- A big drawstring bag for your bits.
- A bigger drawstring bag for your Gold Tokens.
- A pile of ziplock bags for further dividing your bits.
- Storage for your large cards (Event Decks, Allies Player Mats, etc)
- New Player Mats in a letterbox 7x3.5 style.
- Storage for those new Player Mats
- A full copy of The Red Dragon Inn: 5, with 4 new characters, a new drink deck, a bonus Item deck, Markers, Tokens, everything!

which I think is pretty much how it is... the box weighs like 25 pounds with all my cards in there so I am to lazy to pick it up to double check right now lol. plus I need to run to work :p

the sentinels of the multiverse box is gonna be sweet though, can't wait to see that one shipped.

Draxal

Think it would be nice for a company to come up with an affordable and generic solution, that is also nice. Either you spend a fortune on something like Broken Token, or buy dirt cheap deck boxes to do your own. Just not really feasible for companies to all be making deck box solutions for all their games, while for some I mean it does kinda work out.

The Legendary base games come with ton of space though.

Well in FFG's case, they could make say like stackable, locking 300 card boxes branded with say the Rebel/Imperial/Scum symbols and they would sell a ton.

You don't need a big box to store eveything perse as that locks you in, but something that has a lot of appeal like Star Wars would appeal to other gamers as well.

They just need to make one for their mini cards as well, because that's the real reason storing FFG games really sucks.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not a fan of the Red Dragon art.

I would definitely pay FFG for a nice storage solution. I like upgrading my games (got the metal coins for Viticulture and they are awesome).

Aaron

Hello everyone, I am new on this board and more of a beginning board gamer. So far I purchased a few games like the Portal Board Game, Talisman and Betrayers at the House of the Hill.

So far we had most of our fun coming from Betrayers at the House of the Hill. But now my question mainly comes as, do you all have more suggestions of board games where things can change during the game (starting coöperatively but may end up as enemies) and where the board can grow and be different every game?

When I look on the internet I see a ton, but really a ton of different types of board games and through all that I can hardly see what would suit me and my friends.

Here is a link again to BatHofH for reference :)
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10547/betrayal-house-hill

Will plow my way through all the pages during my spare time, will have some work to do!
Betrayal has an expansion that just came out called Widow's Walk. A similar game is Mansions of Madness, though make sure you get the second edition since the first was supposedly garbage. Dead of Winter is a zombie game with a possible traitor in the midst. And if you want more casual traitor games, there's things like Avalon and Secret Hitler.

Neverfade

Fuck all recommendations other than Inis.

Ya'll playing Inis yet?

Inis.

Got Scythe, Cry Havoc, Ponzi Scheme, Star Wars Destiny, New Angeles, and a few others coming still, but its going to take a top tier game to knock it out of my GOTY. This is including pure Neverfade shlock like Forbidden Stars and Rebellion, too.

Edit: Shit, Forbidden Stars was last year right? Still feels new to me, dammit!

Edit 2: INIS!

51WKZs8JErL._UX425_.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Mansions of Madness 1e was far from garbage, but 2e's automated dungeonmaster is a welcome addition.

Yeah. It was just harder to bring to the table due to It's complicated setup and having someone play the keeper. I absolutely love the 2E. Have played it 10x already.

Also still flip flopping about getting card sleeves for Arkham???

Pikelet

Removing the newness factor, how does Inis stack up to Kemet or Cyclades? I have none of these games but am interested in picking one up.

v1lla21

Hey bros, I'm new to board gaming and I was wondering what y'alls opinion on the star wars lcg is. I mainly want it because it's star wars. I may pick up netrunner as well. Should I hold up until the weekend for specials?

Top Bottom