• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Maybe they're not common opinions. My girlfriend hates the amount of setup Scythe involves, and I think a couple of people here were taken aback by Odin's table space. Eclipse filled something crazy like a 4x8 foot table for us. :p

I personally prefer 2 hours max for a game.

I think that may be a more common opinion with those who aren't too deeply invested in gaming. Those who don't actively buy new games. Personally, I'd be playing games like Eclipse, Odin, or any game 1.5-3 hours long all the time if people were more up for it. I find them usually much more fulfilling than most of the shorter games. Granted, my tastes do skew heavy, so time isn't much of a factor.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Day and half into my board game retreat we have played Eclipse twice, Viticulture twice and Mansions of Madness. Good times!

swoon

I think that may be a more common opinion with those who aren't too deeply invested in gaming. Those who don't actively buy new games. Personally, I'd be playing games like Eclipse, Odin, or any game 1.5-3 hours long all the time if people were more up for it. I find them usually much more fulfilling than most of the shorter games. Granted, my tastes do skew heavy, so time isn't much of a factor.

i don't mind long or heavy games, but games with long setup/breakdown times hit the table far less. i don't really see the correlation b/t weight and setup time.

Blizzard

Banned
I have a ton of games and buy new ones, so maybe I'm an outlier.

i don't mind long or heavy games, but games with long setup/breakdown times hit the table far less. i don't really see the correlation b/t weight and setup time.

I don't quite see how there isn't a correlation between the weight of a game and set-up time. Very rarely is there a heavy game that doesn't have a proportional set-up time equal to how long it plays.

In the end, it really just matters who you play with. I have two separate gaming groups, one of which prefer games on the medium-heavier side of things (As a point of reference, we played Terraforming Mars, Concordia, and Feast for Odin on Saturday). While my other group is largely one that enjoys the 1-2 hour sweet spot. The latter does only meet for 4 hours on a weekday night, compared to a Saturday morning to afternoon though.

emag

I've found there to be a pretty large difference in play time between Scythe (or Concordia) and Eclipse with my group of 4-5p; the former runs about 75-90 minutes whereas the latter stretches to a good 180-240.

We generally prefer to play one 90-150 minute game and shorter games thereafter, but with Scythe we can get another game of similar length in as well.

JSR_Cube

Ya, I am kinda torn about the Death Zone expansion. I like that it has new teams, etc. but I kinda wish some of that content was in the base game. Plus, I don't really like the sounds of "Season One".

Inis was a big enough hit last night that we chose to play it a few more times rather than get in some other games. The first time, we forgot the rule that being Brenn broke ties and were stalemated long past the 60 minutes on the box. After making that fix, everything went smoothly.

The win conditions are difficult to wrap your brain around at first, or rather, you will have no idea which cards to draft to get closer to them the first time you play. Once you understand the flow of gameplay, it is truly impressive that none of the action cards stand out as obviously more powerful than one another.

After 5 hours of play, my group still has some fundamental disagreements about which strategies are stronger, whether combat should be approached like Kemet vs. Cosmic Encounter, etc. It definitely feels like the offspring of Cyclades and Blood Rage while differentiating itself from each to make all of those games worthy of a spot on the shelf. This game is really good and further solidifies these Matagot light war games as my favorite genre, so long as I can find the time and people to play with.

Ya, I am kinda torn about the Death Zone expansion. I like that it has new teams, etc. but I kinda wish some of that content was in the base game. Plus, I don't really like the sounds of "Season One".

Yeah, and the fact that it is 48 pages and soft back. Sounds like it should have been included with the base game. Since I have all of the original books in hardback, I am curious if/what differences there will be. I imagine "Season 2" will be more new teams. They're missing an awful lot of them.

EYEL1NER

Games Workshop has the new Blood Bowl up for preorder.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Boxed-Games?N=2192287784+3252425321&_requestid=3502649

Game (includes Orc & Human teams) - $100

Death Zone Expansion - $25

Skaven Team - $35

Surprisingly good prices from GW, especially the Skaven team which I thought would be $50 minimum. I'm going to get the entire offering.
Those are actually really surprising prices from GW. I know Blood Bowl still has its fans and all, but maybe GW was worried about potential low interest and priced it lower to get more people to look at it? That just seems really odd for them.
It's looking good though. I haven't ever looked into Blood Bowl at all and don't know that I would pick it up (I'm not a WFB/AoS fan and they probably won't ever do a 40K Blood Bowl; plus, I can't even assemble and paint my four 40K armies, having more minis sitting around on the sprues isn't going to do me any good). The minis look fantastic though, including the Skaven who I normally do not like the look of. The poses on the Humans are a bit static and boring, specifically the four of them that have the same 'standing straight up with arms stretched to the side' pose. The Orks all look sufficiently ork-y.
It should be a good thing to get into for new players and have some good minis and maybe improved rules for the older players though. If it doesn't take off, all those people who never stopped playing Blood Bowl will at least have some new things to buy. But this release means that they might have a bigger pool of people to play with too, because I don't think the old Blood Bowl population is all that big. I hope it ends up being a success.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Been out of the loop in 2016 besides picking up Codenames.

A few questions:
1) Is Arboretum in stock anywhere? CSI and Amazon don't have it and I've checked everywhere locally.

2) Anything good come out this year? I have Pandemic Legacy and awaiting S2 eagerly. Have played some print and play Secret Hitler. Prefer 2-4 players unless it's social/traitor, typically lighter mechanics (worker placement, card drafting, economic engine is fine), ideally physically small since the cabinet is getting stuff, and <60 minute playtime. Would love a few recommendations. Theme-wise we don't like real historical war; zombies; elves and goblins fantasy; memes; anime; licensed stuff, but pretty much anything else is good. I like politics, urban planning, exploration, space, history, animals.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

A few questions:
1) Is Arboretum in stock anywhere? CSI and Amazon don't have it and I've checked everywhere locally.

2) Anything good come out this year? I have Pandemic Legacy and awaiting S2 eagerly. Have played some print and play Secret Hitler. Prefer 2-4 players unless it's social/traitor, typically lighter mechanics (worker placement, card drafting, economic engine is fine), ideally physically small since the cabinet is getting stuff, and <60 minute playtime. Would love a few recommendations. Theme-wise we don't like real historical war; zombies; elves and goblins fantasy; memes; anime; licensed stuff, but pretty much anything else is good. I like politics, urban planning, exploration, space, history, animals.

You might really like Inis.

A few questions:

If you like social deduction games Deception: Murder in Hong Kong is the best out there IMO. I think it's a lot easier to get people into it than other social deduction games and it's super fun and fast.

EYEL1NER

BGG Secret Santa pairings just went live within the last couple hours. I've already figured out what I'm getting my guy. He didn't type up much of a message to Santa specifying his likes or interests or favorite games, so I took a look at his wishlist and the games in his collection that he rated the highest and settled on a great choice (one I wouldn't mind receiving myself). I also have a couple extra items in mind if I decide that I can afford to go above and beyond.
I need to hurry up and make sure my wishlist is up-to-date. I need to write a quick letter also.

I just downloaded the Discord app and have been looking into the play-by-spreadsheet way of playing online that seems to be favored among BGG BattleCON players. We are getting closer to the end of the year and I don't have any games played that will earn my points for the Pre-Season League promos. I actually registered on the WorldOfIndines site for the ability of host events but I need to make sure I fully understand the play-by-spreadsheet method of playing (I don't have TTS or VASSAL, since I am limited to only an iPad at the moment). I will only be able to host one event per week though, so even if I can host one a week and participate in it, I'll still need to find some other people to play with every week to score more points. I need that Cryo Callistar with ice powers instead of flame.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

A few questions:

They are in business since 1992, but I just got to know about them this year: Sierra Madre Games released Pax Renaissance and Bios: Genesis. If you like affordable complex games, you should absolutely look into those.

Edit: Just received a mail from Sierra Madre Games, that they have around 125 copies of Bios: Genesis left, so the game will be out of print soon.

Lupercal

Banned
Picked up Iron Throne Saturday and played it saturdaynight.
Group's very into Cosmic Encounter and we gotta say, this almost scratched the same itch.

We'll probably need to play it again since we kept comparing it to each other although it does use the sameish system it's still it's own game.

I'll give it a 7.5/10 now, maybe more on further playtyhroughs.

Experien

How late do FLGS tend to get in product compared to retailers?

Seeing more games I pre-ordered popping up online available and calling to me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

My FLGS often gets games earlier than online, but it's totally up to the individual FLGS and a lot of different variables afaik.

It depends on a lot of things. What sort of relationship the store has with the publisher is a big one.

Im not the biggest fan of flgs. Usually they're not so f from my experience. Plus at the end of the day, the price you pay on amazon or miniature market are just too much lower than what you pay at flgs.

Still, they have their uses.

Karkador

Banned
Browsing the FFG site to see what's up with Netrunner nowadays, I see they're releasing a campaign mode expansion? How crazy is that

EYEL1NER

Browsing the FFG site to see what's up with Netrunner nowadays, I see they're releasing a campaign mode expansion? How crazy is that
That definitely sounds interesting. It seems like they think it will be fully playable with just a core set too, so I may pick it up. I bought my core set in 2014 because a MtG-playing coworker and I were interested in trying it and then we never played it (he figured out the rules but they didn't make much sense to me, so I kept putting it off and putting it off until we realized that we just weren't ever going to try it). Even if I never get my hands on the campaign and get to try it, I hope it winds up being good (and if it is good, I hope people buy it. I'm really worried about how well the Armada campaign expansion will sell and what that will mean for potential X-Wing campaign expansions). I still need to get my hands on Android though; that always looked like a fun game.

Zombie Tower 3D: International Edition arrived today. I just broke it open and punched/sorted everything out. I guess some of the card art is a little bit nicer than in the dual-language original version that I won from Cosaic. In most cases I don't care for dual-language cards with multiple languages printed on them (I don't have a problem with other languages, of course. And I understand it is cheaper to do that than print multiple editions. It just clutters up the card text areas and looks bad. Annoys the hell out of me in re: to Bang!) but I prefer the original cards with Japanese and English text over the new cards that replaced the text with icons. Some of the icons are a bit confusing at first glance. There are a few new cards (new weapons and new events) in this version and the five PCs all have another ability you can choose from that is printed on the other side of the character board. Nothing huge though that would sway me towards buying it if I was an owner of the older edition and hadn't Kickstarted this. There are some reference sheets that replaced the reference cards from the older edition (they needed more size because they put what every weapon or card in the game does on the back) but the sheets are extremely thin glossy paper that feels very delicate and easy-to-tear.
All in all it seems like it is the same fun game that I played when I received the bilingual version previously, but I think I'll probably just stick to the older version when I play the game. If I hadn't backed the campaign and hadn't won the raffle for a free copy of the older version, I would still be interested in the game though and would be looking to buy it. So I'm glad I have it, I guess. I hope to play it again soon.

Picked up Iron Throne Saturday and played it saturdaynight.
Group's very into Cosmic Encounter and we gotta say, this almost scratched the same itch.

We'll probably need to play it again since we kept comparing it to each other although it does use the sameish system it's still it's own game.

I'll give it a 7.5/10 now, maybe more on further playtyhroughs.
Just for reference, how much do you give Cosmic Encounter?

SumGamer

What's it with TableTop that makes every game they air so interesting? Now I want Champions of Midgard. I have a secret crush with Stone Age for a while now too. Should I get CoM?

A few questions:

Snowblind is about to (hopefully) arrive from kickstarter so is probably out and about. It is a push your luck type game as race to the north pole with elements of pick up and delivery and worker placement using dice.

Can't vouch for it yet but it might fit those categories.

What's it with TableTop that makes every game they air so interesting? Now I want Champions of Midgard. I have a secret crush with Stone Age for a while now too. Should I get CoM?

I just rolled 7 dice and they tell me that you will not quite enjoy stone age as much as you wanted. So maybe CoM instead.

Pre-ordered my first game from FLGS (normally I do this online).

Apparently they only got one copy of the game and had multiple pre-orders. Who knows when I will get it. Meanwhile it is available online. I am torn from wanting to support FLGS and actually being able to get said product.

Anyone have the same experiences?

Was it the Arkham Horror LCG? Because I am in charge of retail at the store I work at, preordered 14 in August and got completely shafted. We only received 3 copies. I managed to get a few more from another distributor, but in the case of AHLCG, FFG fucked up.

SumGamer

I just rolled 7 dice and they tell me that you will not quite enjoy stone age as much as you wanted. So maybe CoM instead.

I actually like Stone Age on iPad quite a bit. Not quite sure if I'd like the tabletop version tho. Still, I'm leaning toward CoM at the moment :S

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

This is like when I go to Cons and wind up buying 3-4 games just from having so much fun with them there, before realizing half of the fun was just the Con atmosphere.

Speaking of which...had to bail on BGG.Con at the last minute this year because I caught a little respiratory infection so have to get a couple days bedrest at exactly the wrong time. :/ Engaging in Vasel auction and other retail therapy to make up for it. :p

I actually like Stone Age on iPad quite a bit. Not quite sure if I'd like the tabletop version tho. Still, I'm leaning toward CoM at the moment :S

I really like it on ios too. Stone age junior was a big winner, so I'll be getting the full game in a couple of years when the kids are older.

AMUSIX

Anyone else backing Dodgy Dealers?
( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bigmanmurph/dodgy-dealers-the-black-market-art-dealing-card-ga )

Looks like a pretty small production, and I'm not 100% sold on the game mechanics, but the theme really got me. I just wish he was able to keep the original concept of the 'genuine' artworks feeling different from the fakes, though I'm sure that would also lead to the cards themselves looking different. Perhaps some spray matte would do the same? I'll have to see the final product and then test the technique on a scrap deck of cards.

Ohnonono

Ended up not having too much time last night but I did get cards sorted and built a deck for Arkham LCG. Using the Wizard Waitress lady. I think she may be rough to solo with but I really love the character so I am going to give it a good shot. I got 2 core sets so I can build an optimal deck for her. The game does have some neat mechanics for mitigating checks that you may be bad at, but in any game you can only do so much. Also bravo for a 30 card deck. It felt really good building a 30 card deck and choosing 1 or 2 copies of a card instead of 1-3 or 4. Feels like it will make experimenting with cards a bit easier.

Noaloha

Ended up not having too much time last night but I did get cards sorted and built a deck for Arkham LCG. Using the Wizard Waitress lady. I think she may be rough to solo with but I really love the character so I am going to give it a good shot. I got 2 core sets so I can build an optimal deck for her. The game does have some neat mechanics for mitigating checks that you may be bad at, but in any game you can only do so much. Also bravo for a 30 card deck. It felt really good building a 30 card deck and choosing 1 or 2 copies of a card instead of 1-3 or 4. Feels like it will make experimenting with cards a bit easier.

An Agnes tip, which I'll spoiler in case you prefer to discover stuff like this for yourself -
With Agnes, be sure to make note of the timing windows on p23 of the Rules Ref where free triggers can be used (the lightning symbol) and note that Agnes's special ability can be used once per phase (rather than once per round) and then look at the card Forbidden Knowledge and marvel at how amazing it is, especially when you have two out.

Experien

Was it the Arkham Horror LCG? Because I am in charge of retail at the store I work at, preordered 14 in August and got completely shafted. We only received 3 copies. I managed to get a few more from another distributor, but in the case of AHLCG, FFG fucked up.

Nope!

Last Friday, Bloodborne, and a few others. I can order them online now though so I am torn.

Ohnonono

An Agnes tip, which I'll spoiler in case you prefer to discover stuff like this for yourself -
With Agnes, be sure to make note of the timing windows on p23 of the Rules Ref where free triggers can be used (the lightning symbol) and note that Agnes's special ability can be used once per phase (rather than once per round) and then look at the card Forbidden Knowledge and marvel at how amazing it is, especially when you have two out.

I don't have the cards in front of me but I will look at this before I play. I know I am running 2 Forbidden Knowledge.

Edit:Looked it up on the ArkhamDB, That is indeed a rad combo, and thematic because you can totally melt your own brain. As it should be.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I went ahead and ordered Cthulhu Wars. I am going to need yall to talk me off of a cliff shaped like Cthulhu Wars expansion boxes.

You are not using two investigators for solo? I think with the committed mechanic this would be optimal number. I did couple of solo runs and I like that the deckbuilding aspect is minimal. I know this will change as card pool get bigger but I agree 30 card deck is a better way and feel more personal.

emag

Anyone play Mythos Tales? Does it compare reasonably well to Sherlock Holmes: CD?

I was planning on backing the KS until I read/played the updated sample case (and maybe a old PnP case as well?). Mechanically Mythos Tales is much the same as Consulting Detective, but the quality of writing is disappointing.

SumGamer

Vital Lacerda & Ian O'Toole return with a new game on KS. Lisboa's board looks really gorgeous. Gotta say after getting Vinhos Deluxe and The Gallerist, I'm in love with their work. Both art style and mechanic. Finding someone to play with is a rather difficult task tho as they are quite heavy to my group.

Although I think Vinhos just looks scary and intimidating but nothing close to heavy.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...rdas-new-game-of-rebuilding-and-i/description

Top Bottom