• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

DTU

Banned
Hey bros, I'm new to board gaming and I was wondering what y'alls opinion on the star wars lcg is. I mainly want it because it's star wars. I may pick up netrunner as well. Should I hold up until the weekend for specials?

What you want is Star Wars: Destiny.

I really hate the new small form factor LCG boxes that FFG uses.

Trying to think of an optimal storage solution for Arkham Horror as I'm hooked.
I hate them with a passion, thought I understand why they did it. I think the best way for them is just get a binder or collectible card game shoe box for future expansions. You can get Broken Token insert but they are pretty pricey or make your own foam core if you want to keep games in their own box.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey bros, I'm new to board gaming and I was wondering what y'alls opinion on the star wars lcg is. I mainly want it because it's star wars. I may pick up netrunner as well. Should I hold up until the weekend for specials?

Having played a good amount of LCGs now, I would say Star Wars is a really great game mechanically. And Netrunner is one of my favorite games of all time (spent two years pretty much playing only Netrunner game-wise) so that should tell you what I think of it :p. LCGs like these two, which aren't exactly fresh new series, are very likely to get deep discounts around this time. The major question you should answer before proceeding is how exactly will you be playing these? Just buy a few sets and build decks for friends? Play in the tournament scene (I don't think Star Wars has much of one, and Netrunner's has died down a bit)? Something else? Good to have a plan for this so you don't wind up with a bunch of cool but useless cards.

Fuck all recommendations other than Inis.

Ya'll playing Inis yet?

Inis.

Got Scythe, Cry Havoc, Ponzi Scheme, Star Wars Destiny, New Angeles, and a few others coming still, but its going to take a top tier game to knock it out of my GOTY. This is including pure Neverfade shlock like Forbidden Stars and Rebellion, too.

Edit: Shit, Forbidden Stars was last year right? Still feels new to me, dammit!

Edit 2: INIS!
I have and I love it but people in my group seems to be ambivalent about it. Anyway may be you can answer my question I ask a page back, so during Assembly phase and when you determine a winner, is everyone get considered or only people that claim "Pretender" I would think it should just be Pretender because why the heck would you put buleye on your back (aside from taking advantage of passing but not really passing)

v1lla21

What you want is Star Wars: Destiny.
Lol I just searched this up and it sounds like if it was the galaxy of heroes game. Definitely gonna keep my eye on it.

Edit: Watched a video on YouTube. Definitely want it now.

Having played a good amount of LCGs now, I would say Star Wars is a really great game mechanically. And Netrunner is one of my favorite games of all time (spent two years pretty much playing only Netrunner game-wise) so that should tell you what I think of it :p. LCGs like these two, which aren't exactly fresh new series, are very likely to get deep discounts around this time. The major question you should answer before proceeding is how exactly will you be playing these? Just buy a few sets and build decks for friends? Play in the tournament scene (I don't think Star Wars has much of one, and Netrunner's has died down a bit)? Something else? Good to have a plan for this so you don't wind up with a bunch of cool but useless cards.
Just with friends, primarly my gf. Is there any other card games like LCGs (Even better if they are cooperative games) where I don't have to buy Booster packs like magic? I may end up checking out the arkham horror game as well.

Neverfade

I have and I love it but people in my group seems to be ambivalent about it. Anyway may be you can answer my question I ask a page back, so during Assembly phase and when you determine a winner, is everyone get considered or only people that claim "Pretender" I would think it should just be Pretender because why the heck would you put buleye on your back (aside from taking advantage of passing but not really passing)

Your assumptions are correct: You can only win if you have a pretender token.

Vancha

Betrayal has an expansion that just came out called Widow's Walk. A similar game is Mansions of Madness, though make sure you get the second edition since the first was supposedly garbage. Dead of Winter is a zombie game with a possible traitor in the midst. And if you want more casual traitor games, there's things like Avalon and Secret Hitler.

Just came across the exapnsion right before reading your post, will surely be getting that. Also gonna pick up Dead of Winter (either one of the games) and probably Pandemic or Pandemic Legacy.

Thanks for the tips and the recommendations!

zulux21

target has some board games on sale.
stand outs.

code names $6.99
code names deep cover $9.99 (in store only)
Machi Koro: Bright Lights, Big City $8.29

Noaloha

Yesss, in that game of AHLCG I mentioned playing through, scenario 2, I *think* I just managed my first 'all six cultists' success! I'm just going back over it to make sure everything was legit, but I think I'm good. That was crazy tense - I absolutely had some luck on my side, but I do think I also played it pretty well. And it was with single core set Roland and Wendy decks, :D

Moobabe

Can someone answer a quick question for me re: Pandemic?

If i have 3 cities in a triangle (all connected) and one outbreaks, therefore triggering the other two, how does that spread work?

Can a city only outbreak once in one "go," so to speak? Rather than each continually triggering?

Could you elaborate a bit ? What I've seen from YT video's it seems fairly straightforward or am I wrong ?

Game is straight forward, real simple to play, it's just that the game feels heavily in favor of the camper players. Looking it up on BGG and such, apparently it's the common conception as folks are having a hard time winning as the killer, that game is too easy on campers.

In the single chapter mode where variables are altered to play just a single quick scenario, things appear more balanced, but the full game mode where you play through the four chapters is pretty uneven in design. Alot of game elements feel kinda useless outside of specific chapters or things always play out certain way.

Yes, each city would only outbreak once per turn and the Outbreak level would be raised three times.

Edit: Do it one city at a time and place cubes on all adjacent cities. Pick one of the chain reaction cities that had the next outbreak and do the same, except you don't have to add cubes the original city or the other one that you're going to outbreak next.

Eidjinn

I need opinions: what to buy after Terra Mystica?

So far, my group had played: Catan, Dixit, The Resistance, Pandemic Legacy, Stone Age, Zombicide, Keyflower (the only disastrous experience) and Terra Mystica.

I was thinking of getting Puerto Rico, as it seem to be considered a classic. Agricola, because of the theme, did not get the attention of my group.

Scythe is in the wings, but it'll take some time to arrive.

Also, I was thinking that maybe, I need a Vital Lacerda game, and Lisboa seems really promissing. Any thoughts?

Blizzard

Banned

So far, my group had played: Catan, Dixit, The Resistance, Pandemic Legacy, Stone Age, Zombicide, Keyflower (the only disastrous experience) and Terra Mystica.

I was thinking of getting Puerto Rico, as it seem to be considered a classic. Agricola, because of the theme, did not get the attention of my group.

Also, I was thinking that maybe, I need a Vital Lacerda game, and Lisboa seems really promissing. Any thoughts?
You're ramping up pretty quickly in my opinion. I never cared too much for Puerto Rico.

You don't seem to have any tableau builders or deckbuilders. You could check out Race for the Galaxy (+ the Gathering Storm if you need a 5th person), or Dominion (+ Intrigue if you need a 5th person).

Citadels is a lighter and cheaper tableau builder but not on the level of the other games. There are other deckbuilders as well but I'm not familiar with most besides Valley of the Kings.

*edit* Libertalia is another of my favorites -- simultaneous pirate actions for up to 6 people. Imperial Settlers is another tableau builder that's not too complex, for up to 4 players (5 with expansion possibly). 7 Wonders is a simultaneous action game for up to 7 players.

emag

Puerto Rico was king for quite a few years, but I've rarely played it in the last decade. Part of that was Race for the Galaxy beating it at its own game, but also that it doesn't stand out among the tons of other good euros these days.

Maybe try an economic game like Imperial, an auction game like Age of Steam/Power Grid, or a tableau builder like RftG.

Eidjinn

You're ramping up pretty quickly in my opinion. I never cared too much for Puerto Rico.

You don't seem to have any tableau builders or deckbuilders. You could check out Race for the Galaxy (+ the Gathering Storm if you need a 5th person), or Dominion (+ Intrigue if you need a 5th person).

Citadels is a lighter and cheaper tableau builder but not on the level of the other games. There are other deckbuilders as well but I'm not familiar with most besides Valley of the Kings.

*edit* Libertalia is another of my favorites -- simultaneous pirate actions for up to 6 people. Imperial Settlers is another tableau builder that's not too complex, for up to 4 players (5 with expansion possibly). 7 Wonders is a simultaneous action game for up to 7 players.

Puerto Rico was king for quite a few years, but I've rarely played it in the last decade. Part of that was Race for the Galaxy beating it at its own game, but also that it doesn't stand out among the tons of other good euros these days.

Maybe try an economic game like Imperial, an auction game like Age of Steam/Power Grid, or a tableau builder like RftG.

I actually have Race for the Galaxy! The biggest problem is the fact that... I could not wrap my mind around the rules!

I got used to Terra Mystica's iconography, and then going and reading the iconography used in RftG seemed like a chore... BUT, if it's that good, maybe I'll give it a try again!

Power Grid seem a little too dry, but as my group is kinda avid for new mechanics, maybe I'll give it a try!

Thanks for the answers!

Phthisis

IMO, Netrunner is the best card game. Like, ever. Not a big fan of Star Wars, but I think their deck construction mechanic (of sets of five card groupings) is genius and should be adopted by more games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The best board-game-play-tracking app and its couple IAPs are one sale btw (iOS only unfortunately). Nothing even comes close for me and I've tried several across multiple platforms. Plus the guy develops like crazy, which is great: https://www.bgstatsapp.com/

Power grid was dry for me. Race has confusing symbols, but they make a lot of sense once you understand them with the reference.

I think this is by far the most common experience for people, but I don't get how hard people find RFTG! Like even Sam Healey who plays crazy Ameritrash games that I would have to spend days getting my head around complains about how he won't play RFTG because he can't figure it out completely with the symbology. I actually think the symbols are fantastic once you get used to them and make a heavy mediumweight game feel like a light mediumweight game (once you get used to them). I think 7 Wonders is more an example where the symbols get pretty out of control once you integrate the expansions. But I think I'm in the small minority on that opinion as to RFTG.

Bane

IMO, Netrunner is the best card game. Like, ever. Not a big fan of Star Wars, but I think their deck construction mechanic (of sets of five card groupings) is genius and should be adopted by more games.

Can you expand on this some? I've stayed away from the game because I don't want to get too into deckbuilding for yet another game so I'm curious what you mean.

Karkador

Banned
Power Grid is good if you want a straight-forward economic game, where people get to make a bunch of paper money.

As a strategy game, it's an easy one to get into because you're in control of a lot of the game, and the game integrates all of its parts into one cohesive, step-by-step loop.

The round-by-round planning of your dollars is the most satisfying part of the game for me. Unlike games where you count up points at the end, you're all seeing the progress every round and feeling good about your budget (..if you're doing good).

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I just can not get into power grid. One of the very few games that I just check out of after a couple rounds. Very boring for me.

Neverfade

Can you expand on this some? I've stayed away from the game because I don't want to get too into deckbuilding for yet another game so I'm curious what you mean.

In SW:LCG you pick 10 Objectives. Each Objective comes with 5 cards you put into your play deck. They're not interchangeable -- you pick that objective, you HAVE to use the 5 cards that come with it. That means that instead of 50 decisions to make (for a 50 card deck), you only have 10 to make. It's a nice middle ground for those of us who just sorta like to deckbuild.

SW:LCG is my personal favorite LCG, edging out even Netrunner. I'm a huge Star Wars mark, though.

Bane

In SW:LCG you pick 10 Objectives. Each Objective comes with 5 cards you put into your play deck. They're not interchangeable -- you pick that objective, you HAVE to use the 5 cards that come with it. That means that instead of 50 decisions to make (for a 50 card deck), you only have 10 to make. It's a nice middle ground for those of us who just sorta like to deckbuild.

SW:LCG is my personal favorite LCG, edging out even Netrunner. I'm a huge Star Wars mark, though.

That sounds fucking awesome. For competitive card games I just make a few decks people can use when the come over and while I mostly enjoy deckbuilding I've been burnt out on it for a while.

Thanks for the info, going to order a core box right now. If I'm just planning to keep it 1v1 am I mostly good with the just one core box? I bought two for LotR and Arkham but I do 4 players with those.

Neverfade

Depends on how serious you want to get with it I suppose. There's a limited of two of each identical objective sets, so you'd need two if you want to double up. With a single core I think there's 8 objective sets per faction and you round out the last two with neutral ones. Not much deckbuilding to be done in that case.

mercviper

Can someone answer a quick question for me re: Pandemic?

If i have 3 cities in a triangle (all connected) and one outbreaks, therefore triggering the other two, how does that spread work?

Can a city only outbreak once in one "go," so to speak? Rather than each continually triggering?
Didn't see this answered. You only trigger each once per chain. So if one of those three cities broke out you would have 3 outbreaks and they would not trigger again until another card was drawn.

Experien

This is so tempting for me but I have issues getting1v1 games to the table and hate the idea of having to buy multiple cores.

Bad enough that I think I might go heavy into Destiny already...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yesss, in that game of AHLCG I mentioned playing through, scenario 2, I *think* I just managed my first 'all six cultists' success! I'm just going back over it to make sure everything was legit, but I think I'm good. That was crazy tense - I absolutely had some luck on my side, but I do think I also played it pretty well. And it was with single core set Roland and Wendy decks, :D

Awesome. I just finished the second scenario for the second time, this time I managed 3. It started well but then Wendy got pinned by at Nightgaunt and the Hunter.

v1lla21

That's pretty cool. I enjoy deckbuilding but this is also nice.

What are the best stores to keep an eye on for specials? I made a list on amazon and I keep checking B&N as well. Miniature market doesn't have any of the games I'm interested in at a cheaper price.

I just put in order for Feast for Odin. Peer pressure here, and I I thought I was going to cut down on board game purchase and here I am and of course I have to add a game for free shipping so I got the Great Western Trails.

Blizzard

Banned
I just put in order for Feast for Odin. Peer pressure here, and I I thought I was going to cut down on board game purchase and here I am and of course I have to add a game for free shipping so I got the Great Western Trails.
I seem to remember you play solo sometimes? It's a great experience for that, so I hope to see you on the BGG weekly challenge some day. :D

Pledged for the Silver Lantern level. Can't wait to see what stretch goals have been unlocked already
I am a bit confused about all the pledge level so I just got the upgrade kit for now since I already own a base game. I am going to put it together and get it to the table this holiday.

octobot

I am a bit confused about all the pledge level so I just got the upgrade kit for now since I already own a base game. I am going to put it together and get it to the table this holiday.

I was at that level but I wanted something that got any stretch goals. I hope the level I selected is enough.

I have little doubt it will hit more than two million dollars raised in an hour, where the last Kickstarter earned the same over it's entire pledge run.

Lots of people seem keen which makes sense. It could be literally hours before another game with a heap of minis and some cards goes up on kickstarter!

I know nothing about this, is it hype for a reason?

Lots of people seem keen which makes sense. It could be literally hours before another game with a heap of minis and some cards goes up on kickstarter!

I know nothing about this, is it hype for a reason?
It was one of the first big Kickstarter miniatures game from few years back. It has great production and lot of great mini and it was sold out earlier this year. The designer decided instead of doing Northern run he would just do another Kickstarter with update of the games.

The game itself seems pretty good but might not be for everyone. It featured dark and adult theme with a lot of anime inspire designs (lot of naked girls and boys). The game is like Monster Hunter with settlement management.

Went in at the silver level, myself. I was sitting on a gold pledge, but I already have the base game and can't really justify getting another couple (even for scalping purposes).

I wish there were some indication of whether or not we'll be able to get the old expansions discounted as add-ons. The KD store has a sale going, but most of the expansions are either sold out or only available from the Australian warehouse.

Still, it's early yet, so maybe he'll say something about that soon.

Lupercal

Banned
It was one of the first big Kickstarter miniatures game from few years back. It has great production and lot of great mini and it was sold out earlier this year. The designer decided instead of doing Northern run he would just do another Kickstarter with update of the games.

The game itself seems pretty good but might not be for everyone. It featured dark and adult theme with a lot of anime inspire designs (lot of naked girls and boys). The game is like Monster Hunter with settlement management.

185$ + shipping seems crazy expensive though.
I can buy 4-5 other games with that.

Blizzard

Banned
My solo high score in Feast for Odin is now 143, using no 3-viking actions, after I carefully followed some advice from a very skilled player.

It's apparently still possible to do 20-30 points better than this. That boggles my mind.

Top Bottom