• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

185$ + shipping seems crazy expensive though.
I can buy 4-5 other games with that.
I am sure you can. That said they are no more crazy expensive than Game Workshop. Burning of Prospero is $150 so at $185 for KDM 1.5 is pretty reasonable. These are injection mold models and not boardgame soft plastic like CMON or FFG.

I mean really price is subjective anyway. I saw Food Chain Magnate at my local store the other day and it was $135.00 for what is essentially bunch of card boards.

Delivery Date of 2020 seems a bit crazy imo.
1.5 will be delivered next year, 2020 is for yet to even design expansions. I am glad he put realistic date unlike most KS that promise next year delivery but came in 3 years later. I have no faith that Mystic Battle Pantheon will ship next year.(People that made Conan, but may be they learn a thing or two and can deliver, I would be really surprised.

Well, I'm a crazy person and I backed KDM 1.5 at the Black Friday Gambler's Lantern. $777. I also made a different KS account and backed it at the 185 level in case I didn't want all the extras, since it's essentially $600 more for a bunch of stuff that's unknown...besides a t-shirt.

EYEL1NER

If I bought in to this KD:M kickstarter, it would have to be at the $1666 level or whatever pledge tier it is that contains the base game, all stretch goals, the gamblers box, all expansions, and all pin-ups. The completionist in me wouldn't settle for anything less. But that is a fair amount of money, so I may end up doing without.

Backed KDM at the BF Gold Lantern tier.

Can't wait to read all of the changes in 1.5 in his update tomorrow!

If I bought in to this KD:M kickstarter, it would have to be at the $1666 level or whatever pledge tier it is that contains the base game, all stretch goals, the gamblers box, all expansions, and all pin-ups. The completionist in me wouldn't settle for anything less. But that is a fair amount of money, so I may end up doing without.

Keep in mind you can't really play the game with more than 2 or 3 expansions at a time. Plus you can always get the goodies and expansions ad-hoc after the Kickstarter if you really want everything. That way you can still get everything but in a more financially manageable way if that's your thing. The core game itself and the gamblers box are the main things you should secure now in case it becomes hard to get later on. By the time rewards have finished getting sent out in 2020, the game may be sold out world wide again. Even after the game sold out this past time, they still had expansions up for sale on the store every now and then. That will do you no good if you don't have the game itself!

SumGamer

1.5 will be delivered next year, 2020 is for yet to even design expansions. I am glad he put realistic date unlike most KS that promise next year delivery but came in 3 years later. I have no faith that Mystic Battle Pantheon will ship next year.(People that made Conan, but may be they learn a thing or two and can deliver, I would be really surprised.

That's pretty cool then. I actually skip that whole section. lol.

Lupercal

Banned
I am sure you can. That said they are no more crazy expensive than Game Workshop. Burning of Prospero is $150 so at $185 for KDM 1.5 is pretty reasonable. These are injection mold models and not boardgame soft plastic like CMON or FFG.

I mean really price is subjective anyway. I saw Food Chain Magnate at my local store the other day and it was $135.00 for what is essentially bunch of card boards.

I looked wrong, that's only the update.
I would need 250$ for the core alone.
Yes GW is also expensive and you do pay for quality but there's also a limit how much I can justify spending on one game. :)

My most on one game was Zombicide Season 3 with all extras at 180 €.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm going to back at the $750 tier I think...But I have to wait a bit since I don't wuite have that much extra play cash sitting around at the moment. It's not a limited tier, so I have a month to save up, haha.

Grabbed a $300 Gold Lantern Tier, then went to the store and got the Gorm, Slenderman, and Sunstalker expansions at half off. I'll probably only grab another $150ish in new expansions and I'll be tapped.

zeeaykay

Anyone have any opinions on Clockwork Wars? It's on sale for $45 on CSI, which is the lowest I've sent it. I'm looking at that or Kemet, but leaning towards Clockwork Wars because there are rumors it's going out of print and it seems it may be a bit easier to teach.

Bane

I've heard nothing but great things about Kingdom Death but one thing that has kept me away is hearing that all the content required a lot of storage. I've a set amount of shelf space that I won't go over and this sounds like it would require a lot of it.

Should I get Netrunner for $19?

Man, that's tempting but I already have the LotR and Arkham lcgs, plus just bought into the SW one yesterday. Not sure I need another one.

JSR_Cube

I grabbed a $200 EB on KD:M when it came up later this morning. I am not sure if I will keep it yet but I am happy to have an EB for now while I decide over the next month or so.

Kickstarters are getting even crazier every day. Mythic Battles: Pantheon just eclipsed $1.5M, although it is near the end of its campaign. These mini KS are just unbelievable.

I grabbed a $200 EB on KD:M when it came up later this morning. I am not sure if I will keep it yet but I am happy to have an EB for now while I decide over the next month or so.

Kickstarters are getting even crazier every day. Mythic Battles: Pantheon just eclipsed $1.5M, although it is near the end of its campaign. These mini KS are just unbelievable.

And how many of those minis remain unassembled or collecting dust somewhere. "it's a great deal, can't miss out!"

It really is quite crazy. Back when the first KDM Kickstarter finished, it raised about 1 million for the first 90% of the time and then the last 48 hours raised another million. This second printing surpassed the total of the first in less than 6 hours.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Netrunner at 19 is a great deal. Very good and balanced game out of the box.

What is the deal with kdm assembly? Glue or something else?

Plastic minis, the main box set minis are the same type of plastic as used by gamesworkshop games. The expansion and extra minis are resin from what I understand so they are not as strong, but still lightweight so plastic glue/super glue is easy for assembly.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

It is the worst, that is the deal with it. So fucking many of them.

The KDM KS is going to reach 4 million in a day and people are complaining that Poots isn't bringing out updates fast enough lol

Bane

What's the biggest boards game KS so far? I know it was Conan but I think a game or two beat it. Surely this one will blow them away?

Please stop saying things like this, people. I'm having a hard time resisting as is.

If you're not counting Exploding Kittens, it's currently Dark Souls, which is the 19th most funded project. Exploding Kittens is the 6th. Zombicide: Black Plague is 2nd (or 3rd) at $4 million. I'd imagine KDM surpasses that by tonight or tomorrow. Seeing how the last one went, I think it plateaus around 4 million, steadily increasing to around 4.5 million and then when it gets to the 48 hour mark, it'll jump to 5.5-6 million by the end.

And yeah, it's all plastic miniatures unless you pay extra for resin. Glue works, but I like plastic cement. It's a bitch and a half to put all of the miniatures together, but luckily, it's not too bad if you limit it to just the ones for gameplay content (4 starting survivors and all the monsters).

JSR_Cube

And how many of those minis remain unassembled or collecting dust somewhere. "it's a great deal, can't miss out!"

I generally don't pledge for games with just minis. I used to be big into Warhammer but I am more interested in the gaming part of games these days. I like the look and theme of Mythic Battles and I just have heard so much about KDM that I grabbed an EB when I saw it. It's ridiculous that KDM is offering $50 EBs but the way I look at Kickstarter, I grab EBs when I have interest in a game and then make the decision during the campaign. I don't like these EBs and really don't like supporting them but there isn't much choice these days.

Oh, and I saw my first post on BGG comparing Mechs vs Minions to other games. "How come game X isn't as cheap as MvM and doesn't have so much stuff in it?".. smh..

Bane

Yeah, I was ignoring Kittens. I totally forgot about Dark Souls. I was watching it for a while but just never got a good feeling about it. The battle mechanica seem cool but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Not long after I backed This War of Mine, seemed like a much better run campaign and, hopefully, game.

Anyone played the TMNT game? That was another I was interested in but just didn't feel confident enough in to back.

Experien

Yeah, I was ignoring Kittens. I totally forgot about Dark Souls. I was watching it for a while but just never got a good feeling about it. The battle mechanica seem cool but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Not long after I backed This War of Mine, seemed like a much better run campaign and, hopefully, game.

Anyone played the TMNT game? That was another I was interested in but just didn't feel confident enough in to back.

Played Works Edition Mouser mission which was fun and then a random story mission that was super hard against the turtles. Not sure if villain needs to pull punches or the people I was playing with were just really unprepared and "new."

That said, I like it. I did KS it though

It is the worst, that is the deal with it. So fucking many of them.

The KDM KS is going to reach 4 million in a day and people are complaining that Poots isn't bringing out updates fast enough lol

Well it's pretty badly set up kickstarter, so many are confused by it, and after all this time they have yet to reveal any unlocked stretch goals despite having done over 3mil. He should be tossing some info out of what everyone already unlocked, instead of announcing future stretch goals.

Bane

Well it's pretty badly set up kickstarter, so many are confused by it

Well, that makes me feel less stupid. I took a look last night and it took me a minute to figure out which tier got the base game, and I still don't get the stretch goals. Are they just randomly picking what unlocks at each tier or something?

Well, that makes me feel less stupid. I took a look last night and it took me a minute to figure out which tier got the base game, and I still don't get the stretch goals. Are they just randomly picking what unlocks at each tier or something?

The last campaign update was explaining what includes the base game since so many were confused by it. Also the whole reveal system they had in place is silly and confusing ppl on stretch goals, etc.

MjFrancis

Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5 Kickstarter has broken $4 million.

They've also opened 666 more Satan's Lantern pledges. For the low, low price of $1,666, you get, well, damn near everything they've ever put out.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Kickstater: Drain dreams and nostalgia for profit!

Kickstarter can birth some quality projects, but most of the time it's the same fool's game as pre-order culture.

Yup. However, KD:M is thankfully a quality product. I think the sticker shock is causing some fascinating reactions all over the web right now.

Real talk - if I had the spare cash, I'd buy in to the $1,666 package. The minis are high quality and the the game is right up my alley. I've read the rules and have a proxy version of the game printed up. It's a solid game that is not for everyone.

Poots (the creator) has said he never anticipated the wild success of this kickstarter. So we pretty much instantly unlocked the stretch goals he had planned. Instead, what he's going to do is reveal one new thing each day for the gambler's box. The random aspect for the gambler's box is just to randomly show one thing, not a means of unlocking things. It's pretty much decided what will be in the box.

The stretch goal stuff he added with dollar amounts is confusing, but I think it's just being used as a way to keep the carrot out there for people and that we'll be getting all of that stuff regardless.

However, he's also working to figure out what sort of crazy additional shit he might be able to do thanks to the success of this. This stuff would likely be what they would ship by 2020 since it wasn't planned, which is why he called the 2020 stuff "Wave 4 & Beyond" with no mention of what that might include since it was purely a wildcard thing.

Give the KS a few days and he'll certainly work to clarify things as best as he can, and we'll be able to see all of this stuff as it rolls out.

I gotta get in on this racket. You rubes will buy anything, haha.

Do it! ;) The mini's scene is so hot on kickstarter right now. If you can make quality models with a great game to back it up, you could certainly make a great amount of money!

Bane

Poots (the creator) has said he never anticipated the wild success of this kickstarter. So we pretty much instantly unlocked the stretch goals he had planned. Instead, what he's going to do is reveal one new thing each day for the gambler's box. The random aspect for the gambler's box is just to randomly show one thing, not a means of unlocking things. It's pretty much decided what will be in the box.

The stretch goal stuff he added with dollar amounts is confusing, but I think it's just being used as a way to keep the carrot out there for people and that we'll be getting all of that stuff regardless.

Thanks for clarifying the Gambler's Box stuff. It makes a lot of sense actually.

Thanks for clarifying the Gambler's Box stuff. It makes a lot of sense actually.

So essentially to get any cool kickstarter stretches, you had to buy in at the 300+ level? Since apparently that's where all the rewards are going now, for the gamblers box?

There is no stretch goals outside of the basic box contents and the stuff for gambler only pledges apparently that are supposed to be all unlocked already.

So I've been considering getting Imperial Assault as I hear there is an AI app rumored to come out soon.

For those of you who play (have played) what is the deal with the expansions? What's the difference between the big box expansions and do they have to be played in order? Are the individual ally and villain packs just to expand the two player skirmish mode or do they actually add new characters to the campaign game that wouldn't be included otherwise?

So I've been considering getting Imperial Assault as I hear there is an AI app rumored to come out soon.

For those of you who play (have played) what is the deal with the expansions? What's the difference between the big box expansions and do they have to be played in order? Are the individual ally and villain packs just to expand the two player skirmish mode or do they actually add new characters to the campaign game that wouldn't be included otherwise?

The big box expansions include mini campaigns that are set in that setting, but the content of the expansion can be mixed with the core game to expand options all around, such as new heroes, new enemies, items, etc. Side missions are kinda one off none story missions that can be found throughout the products, as you play a campaign of IA, you do story missions, and then sometimes you have to do side missions, which are somewhat random generic missions you play out. So the core set, and each expansion has a campaign, which all have branching mission structure depending on who wins each mission, and mixed into these campaigns are side missions, which are randomly drawn from the side mission deck. Essentially lets your campaigns be unique each time as you have an ever growing collection of side missions, so even replaying the same campaign storyline, good chance you will play a bunch of different missions each time

The character packs, many of them are miniature upgrades that replace the tokens found in the various core/expansion sets. Each game set comes with only a few minis, and then tokens for other enemies/npcs that don't have minis. You can buy character packs to add the minis in. The packs include cards and content needed for playing skirmish mode, but they do also toss in some extra game content via new missions and other cards. So they are like mini expansions to the base game. Like Han Solo pack, comes with a side mission (the side missions typically involve the content of the character pack), and you also get access to a new reward card themed after Han Solo.

The small expansions are mini campaign that you can play as stand alone or insert into the main campaign. The big box expansion offer full campaign. They all have side mission that you can add but many depending on the time line. I just play the main campaign and start mini campaign separately.

Experien

First off, where you hear about this app? Still haven't seen confirmation.

I kind of like the small box expansions because the mini campaigns are so neat and compact. Though I do need to start Hoth campaign soon.

Miniature expansions is mainly for skirmish but they do off a card or two for campaign.

XShagrath

There's no way of knowing if the app will be converting the included missions/campaigns into digital, or if it will be all new content. From what I understand of the Mansions of Madness and Descent apps is that the expansions just add new configurations for tiles and monsters, and then maybe there's one new quest/mission tied to the app. At least that's the way it is for Mansions. I haven't picked up Descent yet, but put it on my list for Christmas.

So essentially to get any cool kickstarter stretches, you had to buy in at the 300+ level? Since apparently that's where all the rewards are going now, for the gamblers box?

There is no stretch goals outside of the basic box contents and the stuff for gambler only pledges apparently that are supposed to be all unlocked already.

For anything totally new they add, yes. They can't drastically change the core set since it's shipping out in less than a year and is already crammed full of the stretch goal stuff which was part of the original kickstarter (it's not like it's not a good deal to get the core game for $200 or $250!). Gambler's chest isn't even coming until spring 2018 probably because they haven't even finished designing everything for it. However, everyone does get the changes and additions as part of the core game / update though. They're adding new gears, story events, models, etc.

BTW, new update released and as part of the 1.5 update that everyone gets... Hardcover rulebook!

7dRhJRO.png

I've seen people make their own hardcover rulebooks, and I've been super jealous. Can't wait to see the actual product instead of just a stock book photo. :p

KD: Monster is undoubtedly pretty expensive. However, 200-250 for the base game isn't THAT ridiculous. A lot of games have an MSRP of around $100 (especially CMON and FFG ones), and KD is both big and lavishly produced.

It's also a really interesting game in and of itself, and the 1.5 updates look to be addressing some of the problems with the system.

I get people being skeptical of KSes that promise the moon, especially when those promises come with pictures of all kinds of fancy minis, but the original KD:M KS was actually delivered as promised.

Well, more or less, if you exclude the Lantern Festival expansion, but he did issue refunds for that.

Top Bottom